PDA

View Full Version : First Football Practice Tweets & Pics

ShotgunDawg
08-02-2016, 04:35 PM
Not sure why, but it's always in interesting day. It's like Christmas morning

Looks can sometimes be deceiving, but when Alabama comes out for pre-game warmups, they look pretty damn good. So sizing them up does mean something & today is our first chance to do that. We've all watched enough football to know what they look like.

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 24m24 minutes ago
The look into it too much tweet of training camp: Nick Fitzgerald takes the first first team rep at QB of the season.

Joel Coleman ‏@JoelTColeman 1m1 minute ago
I post this with the caveat it means nothing on 8/2, but Nick Fitzgerald getting 1st team reps, followed by Staley, Tiano, Williams

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 11m11 minutes ago
Reginald Todd is huge. He looks like De'Runnya Wilson. He's listed at 6-4 but looks even taller.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Co4mmIHWIAECuOw.jpg

User Actions
Following

Joel Coleman
‏@JoelTColeman
My first takeaway from 2016 football practice: Jamal Couch is a big ol'boy at WR.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Co4jY8LXgAEe81G.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Co4kAybWYAEdnoj.jpg:large

ShotgunDawg
08-02-2016, 04:41 PM
First impressions are that Todd looks like Randy Moss, Couch looks like Calvin Johnson, & Simmons looks like we took Chris Jones' name off another Jersey & just suplanted Simmons on it. Simmons does appear slightly more compact than Jones though which may allow him to play a little lower

ShotgunDawg
08-02-2016, 04:44 PM
Check out the feet on Couch for a big guy. That's intriguing acceleration out of a cut for a man that size

https://twitter.com/MikeBBonner/status/760591878551117824

Johnson85
08-02-2016, 04:52 PM
I post this with the caveat it means nothing on 8/2, but Nick Fitzgerald getting 1st team reps, followed by Staley, Tiano, Williams

I don't think that means nothing at all. If Williams was going to be the starter unless and until somebody else beat him out, then I think he'd take the first, first team reps. The only way it means nothing is if Mullen drew a name out of a hat or something similar in front of the QBs. You know they will be reading into so no way he would put no thought into it unless the QBs could know without a doubt that it was random.

Dawg61
08-02-2016, 06:35 PM
I don't think that means nothing at all. If Williams was going to be the starter unless and until somebody else beat him out, then I think he'd take the first, first team reps. The only way it means nothing is if Mullen drew a name out of a hat or something similar in front of the QBs. You know they will be reading into so no way he would put no thought into it unless the QBs could know without a doubt that it was random.

Could just be the reward for summer workout performance or closest to playing weight goal or best grades etc..

msstate7
08-02-2016, 06:41 PM
First impressions are that Todd looks like Randy Moss, Couch looks like Calvin Johnson, & Simmons looks like we took Chris Jones' name off another Jersey & just suplanted Simmons on it. Simmons does appear slightly more compact than Jones though which may allow him to play a little lower

With randy moss and Calvin Johnson, we'll be fine no matter who QBs**

FISHDAWG
08-02-2016, 06:43 PM

or it could be that he was 2nd team already last year

Eric Nies Grind Time
08-02-2016, 06:51 PM
I bet Damian gets the first snaps against South Alabama as a reward from Mullen and people freak out and think he will be the starter all year. Then Fitzgerald plays the other 3 quarters.

BiscuitEater
08-02-2016, 08:09 PM
I bet Damian gets the first snaps against South Alabama as a reward from Mullen and people freak out and think he will be the starter all year. Then Fitzgerald plays the other 3 quarters.

If I was betting .. think we see all four QBs play in the South Alabama game .. as long as all four are still on the team .. with the best two emerging as starter and backup for USCe game. Then a chance to see all four at the UMass game .. with the top two emerging as starter/backup for the LSU game.

It actually would be a better process if there were only three .. but am not looking to get rid on any of the four.

Political Hack
08-02-2016, 08:16 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if we play 4 QBs in 4 quarters if he can pull the starter by the end of the 1st.

missouridawg
08-02-2016, 10:04 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if we play 4 QBs in 4 quarters if he can pull the starter by the end of the 1st.

I'm in agreement with Mullen playing all 4 guys... Which makes me really confused as to why we are a 30+ point favorite. I don't think we cover that solely based on the experiment I know Mullen is going to run.

msstate7
08-02-2016, 10:14 PM
I don't want to play 4 QBs. I want us to settle on a starter and play him the whole game. The next 2 weeks after south Alabama are SEC games... We need 1 qb ready to play those games. I think musical qb's is a great way to lose to South Carolina

TaleofTwoDogs
08-02-2016, 10:20 PM

Looks to be in alphabetical order. Nothing more, nothing less.

preachermatt83
08-02-2016, 10:40 PM
Rock, paper, scissors determined who took first team reps first according to Fitz. Dan does some goofy crap sometimes. That's Just strait up silly.

HoopsDawg
08-02-2016, 10:48 PM
I'm in agreement with Mullen playing all 4 guys... Which makes me really confused as to why we are a 30+ point favorite. I don't think we cover that solely based on the experiment I know Mullen is going to run.

That's ridiculous. You will know who your top 2 guys are after 20 practices.

ShotgunDawg
08-02-2016, 11:52 PM
I don't want to play 4 QBs. I want us to settle on a starter and play him the whole game. The next 2 weeks after south Alabama are SEC games... We need 1 qb ready to play those games. I think musical qb's is a great way to lose to South Carolina

This

The is SEC 17ing football. Not Bernie Sanders' economic values. We play to win in this league, not be all church league basketball and give everyone equal playing time. That's Little League BS.

Give everyone a shot for the first two weeks and then make a decision and let's go play to win. This 4 QB crap is absurd. If Mullen can't figure out who the best guy is to lead this team after two weeks, then I'm in a conundrum on how he can pick out quality QBs to recruit after watching a few high school tapes.

If someone wants to transfer, then good luck and thanks for being a dawg, but don't let the door hit you on the way. The SEC football and we play to win. That's all that matters and every decision should be geared towards that.

Dawg61
08-03-2016, 12:47 AM
This

The is SEC 17ing football. Not Bernie Sanders' economic values. We play to win in this league, not be all church league basketball and give everyone equal playing time. That's Little League BS.

Give everyone a shot for the first two weeks and then make a decision and let's go play to win. This 4 QB crap is absurd. If Mullen can't figure out who the best guy is to lead this team after two weeks, then I'm in a conundrum on how he can pick out quality QBs to recruit after watching a few high school tapes.

If someone wants to transfer, then good luck and thanks for being a dawg, but don't let the door hit you on the way. The SEC football and we play to win. That's all that matters and every decision should be geared towards that.

Calm down Francis

lamont
08-03-2016, 07:06 AM
We won't beat South Carolina playing 3 or 4 QB's. We better have one ready to go by then

Johnson85
08-03-2016, 07:46 AM

Yeah, based on Dan's past decisions, I could understand him feeling like he has to give Williams a shot in a game, but QB just doesn't work like other positions. If we were talking about RB or WR, and the underclassmen haven't separated themselves, then sure, you can give the upperclassman snaps. But at QB, if the upperclassman can't separate himself, and has lower physical capabilities, you've got to give the game snaps to the younger guys.

Todd4State
08-03-2016, 07:47 AM
Quarterback 1A/Quarterback1B/Quarterback 1C/Quarterback 1D.

That's probably how it's going to be listed going into South Alabama if we're honest with ourselves.

17thebears
08-03-2016, 07:49 AM

I would be surprised if we have 4 QBs when the South Alabama game rolls around.

maroonmania
08-03-2016, 09:52 AM
Given what he did at FL and what he TRIED to do in 2014 with our QB situation I would not be surprised in the least if we don't have a full out 2 QB system this year where the starter rotates between series. Mullen has said on multiple occasions he believes the QB position should be interchangeable like any other position. Now I don't buy that but Dan does and he is the one that makes the decisions.

CadaverDawg
08-03-2016, 10:09 AM
We have always wanted at least 1, or more than 1 SEC caliber QB.....now we've got 2 or 3 and we're bitching about who to put at #1 before Fall practice has started. I'll take these arguments over the, "let Josh Riddell play, Croom!". Carry on

msstate7
08-03-2016, 10:11 AM
We have always wanted at least 1, or more than 1 SEC caliber QB.....now we've got 2 or 3 and we're bitching about who to put at #1 before Fall practice has started. I'll take these arguments over the, "let Josh Riddell play, Croom!". Carry on

I wanna believe we have a better than avg sec qb, but none of the group have proven it yet. I'm not down on our qb's, but I am cautious to say we'll be fine there yet

CadaverDawg
08-03-2016, 10:24 AM
I wanna believe we have a better than avg sec qb, but none of the group have proven it yet. I'm not down on our qb's, but I am cautious to say we'll be fine there yet

Every one of our QB's were rated much higher than Relf. We're not going to win 9 or 10 games bc we will have youth at QB...but we have talent at QB and one of the best QB coaches in CFB. Time to have a little faith in the man that has made us comfortable winning 8-10 games a year and being a consistent bowl team. Nearly won 6 with Tyson Lee, won 9 with Relf, won 9 and 10 with a fullback from Louisiana.

I like our chances to be above average at QB

Jack Lambert
08-03-2016, 10:40 AM
Not sure why, but it's always in interesting day. It's like Christmas morning

Looks can sometimes be deceiving, but when Alabama comes out for pre-game warmups, they look pretty damn good. So sizing them up does mean something & today is our first chance to do that. We've all watched enough football to know what they look like.

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 24m24 minutes ago
The look into it too much tweet of training camp: Nick Fitzgerald takes the first first team rep at QB of the season.

Michael Bonner ‏@MikeBBonner 11m11 minutes ago
Reginald Todd is huge. He looks like De'Runnya Wilson. He's listed at 6-4 but looks even taller.
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Co4mmIHWIAECuOw.jpg

User Actions
Following

Joel Coleman
‏@JoelTColeman
My first takeaway from 2016 football practice: Jamal Couch is a big ol'boy at WR.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Co4jY8LXgAEe81G.jpg

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Co4kAybWYAEdnoj.jpg:large

It's not like Christmas morning to me. It's more like the day you get out of school for Christmas break. It's great and cool but you are still waiting on Christmas morning and it take for ever for it to get here.

HancockCountyDog
08-03-2016, 10:46 AM

There is a reason the bears played kincaide and the frat boy last year early in the year. To keep them on campus and make sure they didn't transfer. I fully expect CDM to do the same thing. He can't name Fitz the starter in two weeks. If he does that, there is a decent chance that Staley leaves and goes to Juco for a year and shows out and signs else where, and there is also a chance Damien then leaves as well. Personally I think Damien would stay and transfer at the end of the season, but if he wants to play this year, he could easily transfer to a SWAC school and start playing.

We have to make sure that all 4 QB's make it South Alabama, and then we have our starter named for SC. I expect us to run the ball more with the QB so we will need the bodies.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-03-2016, 11:21 AM
I think Damian is going to stay his full time at MSU even if he knows he won't be the guy. He seems to truly love MSU & I think he stays regardless.

Johnson85
08-03-2016, 02:27 PM
Rock, paper, scissors determined who took first team reps first according to Fitz. Dan does some goofy crap sometimes. That's Just strait up silly.

No, that makes perfect sense to me. Dan knows the players are going to read into it unless they could know it was random. By doing rock paper scissors, he was avoiding picking a leader and making it clear to all the QB's that there was no information to be gained from the order that they got first team reps.