PDA

View Full Version : Our defensive line is going to wreck folks......

Taog Redloh
08-02-2016, 10:00 AM
A.J. Jefferson and Nick James as redshirt seniors. I think they both get drafted.

Jonathan Calvin is going to break out. He may get drafted too.

Torrey Dale, Nelson Adams and Will Coleman have all played extensively and done good things.

We will have Fletcher Adams and Jeffry Simmons on the bench, behind some other guys. Think about that.

Book it.

mic
08-02-2016, 10:06 AM
Sirmon and Baker > Diaz and Turner

thf24
08-02-2016, 10:15 AM
Torrey Dale is one of those that seems like they've been around for eight years. Hope he has a nice senior year, he deserves it for sticking it out this long despite never breaking through on the field.

DL as a whole is definitely a spot to be excited about.

Jarius
08-02-2016, 10:28 AM
I don't think Simmons will be on the bench for long. There's a reason we only suspended him for 1 game. He is a monster.

Bothrops
08-02-2016, 11:03 AM
I think Jefferson and Calvin have a chance to get drafted with strong senior campaigns. Both have some good ability.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-02-2016, 11:06 AM

Hope so...NFL > CFB for sure

Taog Redloh
08-02-2016, 11:23 AM
I think Jefferson and Calvin have a chance to get drafted with strong senior campaigns. Both have some good ability.

Agree. Add in James and you have the makings of some havoc.

Calvin is my break-out guy.

msstate7
08-02-2016, 11:28 AM

So will we be running usc's defense?

Johnson85
08-02-2016, 11:45 AM
I'm just expecting us to have some serious growing pains this year moving to a 3-4. Maybe it's not that big of a deal, but it seems like other teams have struggled with the transition.

parabrave
08-02-2016, 11:51 AM
A.J. Jefferson and Nick James as redshirt seniors. I think they both get drafted.

Torrey Dale, Nelson Adams and Will Coleman have all played extensively and done good things.

We will have Fletcher Adams and Jeffry Simmons on the bench, behind some other guys. Think about that.

Book it.

AJ will be a 1st or 2nd rounder.

lamont
08-02-2016, 11:52 AM
I don't think Simmons will be on the bench for long. There's a reason we only suspended him for 1 game. He is a monster.

Simmons is not going to start over AJ and Calvin. He will play- but he's not going to replace those two. He will provide quality depth

lamont
08-02-2016, 11:53 AM

Not a prayer. He doesn't have the NFL measureables. He will be a later round pick

Corn Bread
08-02-2016, 12:11 PM

Book it.

I may be out of the loop. I have heard nothing regarding Leo Lewis. Sorry if I have missed something.

msstate7
08-02-2016, 12:12 PM
I'm just expecting us to have some serious growing pains this year moving to a 3-4. Maybe it's not that big of a deal, but it seems like other teams have struggled with the transition.

I definitely think we'll have some issues starting the year vs good run teams. LF is most likely gonna abuse us

Jarius
08-02-2016, 12:14 PM
Simmons is not going to start over AJ and Calvin. He will play- but he's not going to replace those two. He will provide quality depth

I'm sure he won't start, but if he is as advertised he will play starter minutes like Chris jones did. He has more talent than anyone on our entire roster.

beretta
08-02-2016, 12:16 PM
Not a prayer. He doesn't have the NFL measureables. He will be a later round pick

i agree here.....late round guy....not the measurable, and really need to seed big plays against big competition....i saw him kill folks in games of smaller competition....and to the next guy, I think leo lewis is a LB, not DL....

I think you will see early season struggles with new system and coach, but get better as the season goes along.....which is why I wish we played LSU later rather than earlier....alwasys said that....they never get our best shot, and we 'almost' beat them every year....

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
08-02-2016, 12:33 PM

I think whole talk of moving to a 3-4 has been overstated. Here's some quotes from Sirmon:

“I coach defense. I want to play the defense that gives us the best opportunity to stop people from moving the ball and scoring. I know 3-4 and 4-3 is nice, clean and tidy and it can communicate your defense, but we will be a multiple front defense. We are recruiting guys that have great size and athleticism to play in multiple fronts. I think it is real positive for us with the style of play. It becomes what do you have to stop to win the game. When you start to have multiple attacks you have to stop multiple philosophies, you have to keep the playbook open and you have to be flexible with how you approach things. As plain as that might sound, our emphasis is what we need to do put our kids in the best position to give us the best chance to win football games. Having a multiple front defense will give us the flexibility to move guys around that have certain skill sets to play multiple positions.”

mic
08-02-2016, 01:17 PM
So will we be running usc's defense?

I just know we Won't be running a Manny Diaz defense

HancockCountyDog
08-02-2016, 01:28 PM

Book it.

When you have six seniors on the two deep of your DL - they better wreck shit - I totally agree with you.

Im not sold on AJ being an impact guy, if you have re-watched games as often as I have, he made a ton of plays when simply unblocked. Im not sure what teams were doing, but I went back and watched the USM game and there were several times where they simply didn't block him. He needs to win more one on ones, but the potential is there. He is more suited for a 3-4 defense for sure.

As for Calvin, I think he lines up in our 4-3 sets at DE, Im not sold on him as a 3 technique in a 3-4, but in a 4-3 he will excel.

As for Nick James - I think a 3-4 is more tailored to his skills. He is strong enough to hold the point of attack. I think by the end of the season our DL in a 3-4 is Jefferson, James, Simmons. He is going to play, a lot.

msstate7
08-02-2016, 02:08 PM
When you have six seniors on the two deep of your DL - they better wreck shit - I totally agree with you.

Im not sold on AJ being an impact guy, if you have re-watched games as often as I have, he made a ton of plays when simply unblocked. Im not sure what teams were doing, but I went back and watched the USM game and there were several times where they simply didn't block him. He needs to win more one on ones, but the potential is there. He is more suited for a 3-4 defense for sure.

As for Calvin, I think he lines up in our 4-3 sets at DE, Im not sold on him as a 3 technique in a 3-4, but in a 4-3 he will excel.

As for Nick James - I think a 3-4 is more tailored to his skills. He is strong enough to hold the point of attack. I think by the end of the season our DL in a 3-4 is Jefferson, James, Simmons. He is going to play, a lot.

I worry about who clogs the middle when James is out of the game

Cary Hudson's little bro
08-02-2016, 02:22 PM

Nelson Adams and Cory Thomas.

Cary Hudson's little bro
08-02-2016, 02:24 PM
Calvin is my break-out guy.

Cory Thomas is my break-out guy...more than Calvin, who will be 1st/2nd team All-SEC this year.

msstate7
08-02-2016, 02:29 PM

Pretty big drop in size though isn't it? Those two look more like 4-3 DTs, but I'm certainly no expert

HancockCountyDog
08-02-2016, 02:35 PM

My guess is Adams. I also think Nick plays a lot this year. He is very important.

confucius say
08-02-2016, 02:35 PM
Pretty big drop in size though isn't it? Those two look more like 4-3 DTs, but I'm certainly no expert

Nelson is 305 pounds. Bigger than I thought. But yea, smaller than nick. Might see more of a 4 man front when nick is out

biggun
08-02-2016, 02:57 PM
T Dale is just not good. If he is in the rotation at any point this season then we are screwed. Never understood giving T Dale reps throughout the entire season while C Thomas rotted on the bench until the bowl game. I pray we play our best players regardless of class, for example, if C Thomas is better than N James, start C Thomas.

Corey Thomas is a Chris Jones clone, he is a monster at 6'5 310lbs and looked good at the Belk Bowl. I expect a breakout year from him this season

Fletcher Adams will help us too on the DL. Very quick, explosive, high motor. Another breakout player

AJ Jefferson struggled mightily the 2nd half of the year which consisted of almost all SEC games. He really struggled rushing the passer when facing much bigger SEC LT's.. His first step, his quickness, is his key.

Johnson85
08-02-2016, 03:07 PM
I pray we play our best players regardless of class

We get a lot of benefit from Dan putting so much weight on out of game performance, so I like his approach, but it does seem like we should lighten up a little on it. Granted that's based on looking from the outside with relatively little information, but we have so many guys that seem to be held back by out of game issues, it makes me wonder if Dan isn't being a little unrealistic in what he's expecting from underclassmen. And even guys that really need to get their stuff together, I wonder if many of them wouldn't be more motivated in practice and in the weight room if they knew they were likely to get a little taste of action each week, even if their out of game habits/behavior wasn't good enough to meet Dan's expectations and earn them 1st or 2nd team reps.

HancockCountyDog
08-02-2016, 03:15 PM
T Dale is just not good. If he is in the rotation at any point this season then we are screwed. Never understood giving T Dale reps throughout the entire season while C Thomas rotted on the bench until the bowl game. I pray we play our best players regardless of class, for example, if C Thomas is better than N James, start C Thomas.

Corey Thomas is a Chris Jones clone, he is a monster at 6'5 310lbs and looked good at the Belk Bowl. I expect a breakout year from him this season

Fletcher Adams will help us too on the DL. Very quick, explosive, high motor. Another breakout player

AJ Jefferson struggled mightily the 2nd half of the year which consisted of almost all SEC games. He really struggled rushing the passer when facing much bigger SEC LT's.. His first step, his quickness, is his key.

Corey Thomas is not a Chris Jones clone. That is simply an unfair comparison.

AJ Jefferson will benefit greatly from moving inside in the 3-4. He isn't an SEC DE in a 4-3 scheme. He is one in a 3-4 scheme.

Political Hack
08-02-2016, 05:39 PM
I've always thought Dale was a potential lottery pick. He's got ability you can't teach but he's disappeared at times. I hope he has a break through season and reaches his potential. Guy can sift through traffic with ease. He should shut down a lot of ball carriers.

BulldogDX55
08-02-2016, 07:52 PM

I don't know his exact measurables, but I stood in front of him when he bought some food at my restaurant and he makes me, a 6'3" 240lb guy, feel absolutely tiny.

msstate7
08-02-2016, 07:57 PM
I don't know his exact measurables, but I stood in front of him when he bought some food at my restaurant and he makes me, a 6'3" 240lb guy, feel absolutely tiny.

7'4" 390 lbs**

somebodyshotmypaw
08-02-2016, 08:18 PM

I love AJ. Helluva player. But he ain't going in the top 2 rounds. No freaking way.

BeastMan
08-02-2016, 08:45 PM
Torrey Dale is one of those that seems like they've been around for eight years. Hope he has a nice senior year, he deserves it for sticking it out this long despite never breaking through on the field.

DL as a whole is definitely a spot to be excited about.

He actually played a pretty good bit on the inside last year. I think he plays his best year by far in the new scheme. He a great guy to have for multiple front schemes as a rotation guy. He can play outside in the 3-man and inside or outside in the 4-man front.