PDA

View Full Version : We are starting 3 5th year seniors on the O-line...

HoopsDawg
08-02-2016, 09:59 AM
1 4th year junior, and 1 3rd year sophomore. There's really no excuse for our O-line to not be serviceable at the very least.

I really like to hear that Gerri Green is playing viper. Got to have him, Peters, Bryant, Brown and Lewis on the field at the same time a lot.

Taog Redloh
08-02-2016, 10:01 AM
Yep, they'll be OK. Jocquell Johnson is another 5th year guy that should contribute some depth as well.

WinningIsRelentless
08-02-2016, 10:13 AM
1 4th year junior, and 1 3rd year sophomore. There's really no excuse for our O-line to not be serviceable at the very least.

I really like to hear that Gerri Green is playing viper. Got to have him, Peters, Bryant, Brown and Lewis on the field at the same time a lot.

Write it down now Mark McLaurin will have a bigger impact than Peters will. People forget Peters played outside lb up until last year and the SEC isn't a place to learn to cover people.

I'm not saying he won't be good but everyone thinking he will be all world need to remember this.

confucius say
08-02-2016, 10:20 AM
Write it down now Mark McLaurin will have a bigger impact than Peters will. People forget Peters played outside lb up until last year and the SEC isn't a place to learn to cover people.

I'm not saying he won't be good but everyone thinking he will be all world need to remember this.

Been saying this. There is a reason we were initially trying to get the co Lin safety in for this year instead of next year. I like peters, we just have to find what works best for him.

Also afraid we are wasting smokey at corner.

thf24
08-02-2016, 10:21 AM
Maybe it's because I'm an eternal optimist, but I'm not nearly as worried about the o-line as most seem to be. Yeah we were pretty dismal there last year, but Malone (gone, I know), Desper, and Senior were all clearly down compared to years past, which to me suggests chemistry issues rather than lack of talent. Much easier to fix the former than the latter. A year older Jenkins or Rankin will most likely be a pretty big upgrade over Warren as well.

BossDawg
08-02-2016, 11:07 AM
Also, I think we're gonna see more of a "traditional" Mullen offense this year - meaning Dan will use the QB's legs more than he did last year. Dak was being protected quite a bit last year. With the dual-threat depth we have a quarterback, I think we'll see more of that this season. That should help quite a bit, too.

Taog Redloh
08-02-2016, 11:21 AM
Also, I think we're gonna see more of a "traditional" Mullen offense this year - meaning Dan will use the QB's legs more than he did last year. Dak was being protected quite a bit last year. With the dual-threat depth we have a quarterback, I think we'll see more of that this season. That should help quite a bit, too.

Agree. All of these things add up to a team that is going to surprise some people.

WinningIsRelentless
08-02-2016, 11:26 AM
Agree. All of these things add up to a team that is going to surprise some people.

Having a running back that Dan trust to run between the tackles will make the ol even better. Last year the dt's were basically free to rush the middle because of our ability to not run between the tackles.

louisvilledawg
08-02-2016, 11:32 AM

Isnt Clayborn a true senior? Not that it matters to the post and your point, just pointing out i don't think he redshirted.

Johnson85
08-02-2016, 11:43 AM

I think we're going to be serviceable, but serviceable against SEC competition with a new QB means we likely will end up at 6 or 7 wins. Even though we've got an older OL, remember that one of our 5th year seniors really is just serviceable, two of the seniors are pretty good but not elite (which makes them about average SEC OL), and our 4th year junior was redshirted last year even though our OLine was dogshit at his position.

Now as somebody mentioned, Desper did seem to regress last year, and Senior either regressed or stayed the same, and Clayborne hasn't to me achieved the promise he showed as a freshman, so we definitely have some potential to surprise to the upside. I'm just not expecting it.
Our 5th year seniors are Clayborne, Senior, and Desper. Clayborne and Senior are both serviceable if they play like they played last year. But Senior didn't progress last year and Clabyorne may have actually regressed, so hopefully they will be better than serviceable. Desper also didn't progress and may have regressed. I'm not sure he has much more in him though than last year, so I would say he is serviceable.

lamont
08-02-2016, 11:55 AM
#DevelopmentalProgram

Our OL is going to get wrecked by Bama, LSU, Auburn, A&M, and Mississippi

lamont
08-02-2016, 11:56 AM
Clayborn has not redshirted. 4th year Sr

Bama_Dawg
08-02-2016, 12:01 PM
#DevelopmentalProgram

Our OL is going to get wrecked by Bama, LSU, Auburn, A&M, and Mississippi

Random's right. I don't think its a good thing to have 3 Seniors (5th year or not) starting on your OL. Would rather have 3 guys that are juniors and are gonna get drafted after the year. Talent trumps experience IMO.

maroonmania
08-02-2016, 12:12 PM
Random's right. I don't think its a good thing to have 3 Seniors (5th year or not) starting on your OL. Would rather have 3 guys that are juniors and are gonna get drafted after the year. Talent trumps experience IMO.

Well, the only year lately we've been above average on the OL (2014) was when Hevesy had a bunch of 5th year SRs. But when we have yet to get a Mullen/Hevesy recruited OL product into the NFL its certainly hard to call us a developmental program in that area for sure.

TUSK
08-02-2016, 01:03 PM
what is this "5th Year Senior" of which you speak...?

NCDawg
08-02-2016, 02:22 PM
Well, the only year lately we've been above average on the OL (2014) was when Hevesy had a bunch of 5th year SRs. But when we have yet to get a Mullen/Hevesy recruited OL product into the NFL its certainly hard to call us a developmental program in that area for sure.

I'm not sure we were above average on the OL in 2014. I remember our OL getting knocked around in the Alabama and Ole Miss games. In fact, I can't remember the last time we had a good OL-guess it was during Sherrill's reign, excluding his last 3 years.

lamont
08-02-2016, 02:47 PM
I'm not sure we were above average on the OL in 2014. I remember our OL getting knocked around in the Alabama and Ole Miss games. In fact, I can't remember the last time we had a good OL-guess it was during Sherrill's reign, excluding his last 3 years.

We had pretty good OL's in 2009 and 2010. Nothing close since

HancockCountyDog
08-02-2016, 02:49 PM

I think it will depend on what we ask them to do. If we ask them to give Fitz five seconds to pass, we are not going to look good. If we are asking them to block on a counter where the QB totes the rock, I think we will be fine.

I expect that we will go back to RTGDF and C34 will be smiling from all of the coaching staffs he is currently on. Im expecting us to run it close to 60% of the time this year. We have a stable of backs that should be able to get the job done.

ShotgunDawg
08-02-2016, 02:59 PM
I think we're going to be serviceable, but serviceable against SEC competition with a new QB means we likely will end up at 6 or 7 wins.

This quote doesn't make any sense.

With us playing 4 out of conference games in which we are clearly the better team, while also playing South Carolina & Kentucky, & playing Auburn & Arkansas at home, our defense should/will be strong enough that a serviceable offensive line doesn't equal 6 or 7 wins. A serviceable offensive line equals 8 wins & a good offensive line equals more than that.

Don't look at this like we play in the SEC. We play our schedule & our schedule has at least 7-8 winnable games on it with an average offensive line. The only games where the OL needs to be above average are Alabama, LSU, Ole Miss, & Texas A&M. That's it

Johnson85
08-02-2016, 03:11 PM

We were well above average in 2014, we just weren't elite, which is what was needed against Bama. Even then, our O-line didn't keep us from winning against Bama. Ole Miss did make the O-line look bad, but that was partly do to them having a good defense and partly do to Dan just getting worked by Werner.

And as another poster mentioned, we had good OL's in 2009 and 2010. In 2009, they moved the ball with practically zero passing threat. In 2010, they were good enough to move the ball with a still learning Relf.

whosyourdawgy
08-02-2016, 04:20 PM
Also afraid we are wasting smokey at corner.

He was given his chances on offense and special teams. I love the fact he loves being a dog and I saw flashes of what he could do with the ball in his hands, but he also proved he can't be trusted with the ball in his hands. Great athletes that can't catch play corner back. Do you really want to see him
Ever catch another punt? Let's just hope he gets it and becomes a good one.

ShotgunDawg
08-02-2016, 04:21 PM
He was given his chances on offense and special teams. I love the fact he loves being a dog and I saw flashes of what he could do with the ball in his hands, but he also proved he can't be trusted with the ball in his hands. Great athletes that can't catch play corner back. Do you really want to see him

Wasn't he true freshman then? Sheesh. Your pretty quick to pull the cord

whosyourdawgy
08-03-2016, 12:03 AM

Maybe so but I wouldn't trust him on a kickoff or punt return plus I think we have better players at slot ahead of him there. Ross Dear Mixon and Thomas are better options there. I love the kid. He is all Dog and has stuck it out. He is a great athlete and his best chance at seeing the field is in the defensive backfield. I hope he contributes

bulldawg28
08-03-2016, 02:14 AM

With us playing 4 out of conference games in which we are clearly the better team, while also playing South Carolina & Kentucky, & playing Auburn & Arkansas at home, our defense should/will be strong enough that a serviceable offensive line doesn't equal 6 or 7 wins. A serviceable offensive line equals 8 wins & a good offensive line equals more than that.

Don't look at this like we play in the SEC. We play our schedule & our schedule has at least 7-8 winnable games on it with an average offensive line. The only games where the OL needs to be above average are Alabama, LSU, Ole Miss, & Texas A&M. That's it

This

Johnson85
08-03-2016, 08:02 AM

Serviceable means we are good enough to beat USCe and UK and maybe split between Auburn and Arkansas. We coudl overachieve as far as toss up games go and get to 8 wins, or if A&M and/or Auburn turn into dumpster fires, we could get to 8 wins even with just a serviceable Oline. But barring a quirkily weak SEC schedule or just fluke wins, it takes more than a serviceable OL to go, 4-4 in the conference with the best DLines in the country.

Johnson85
08-03-2016, 08:04 AM

I'm extremely disappointed that we haven't gotten more out of Graham. Think about how good he must have looked in practice for Mullen to be willing to give him such a significant role as a true freshman on our best team in his tenure.

That said, I find it hard to believe Mullen put him out there as a true freshman and hasn't given him a fair shake since then. Our fans may be pulling the cord because of freshmen mistakes, but I'm guessing Dan is basing his decisions on a lot more than that.

confucius say
08-03-2016, 10:12 AM

I don't want him fielding punts, no. But we are getting nothing out of him at corner. Put him on offense and get the ball in his hands on jet sweeps, bubbles, tunnel screens, etc... He showed flashes of being electric with the ball. Even if he drops a forward pass, it doesn't kill you like muffed punts.

thf24
08-03-2016, 10:53 AM
I wouldn't mind seeing Smokey get another shot at punt returns. He was solid until he began to experience real pressure situations, so his issues may have just been freshman nerves. That being said, one muff and he'd need to be pulled for good.

Ifyouonlyknew
08-03-2016, 11:23 AM
I don't want him fielding punts, no. But we are getting nothing out of him at corner. Put him on offense and get the ball in his hands on jet sweeps, bubbles, tunnel screens, etc... He showed flashes of being electric with the ball. Even if he drops a forward pass, it doesn't kill you like muffed punts.

Ok the question then becomes do you want the ball in his hands more than Ross, Dear, or Mixon because those are the slot guys he'd have to beat out.

mic
08-03-2016, 12:10 PM
Ok the question then becomes do you want the ball in his hands more than Ross, Dear, or Mixon because those are the slot guys he'd have to beat out.

Exactly .. He is right where he should be ...

Johnson85
08-03-2016, 02:54 PM

He's really just a victim of Dan quickly improving the talent at his natural position right after he got here. I think Graham would have been better than any slot guy we've had in the ten years before he came on campus except for Bumphis. But I think Ross and Dear are better and Myles just as good.

archdog
08-03-2016, 03:02 PM
I would rather see him on kickoff return than someone slow personally.