PDA

View Full Version : What if the NCAA accused OM of hiring Freeze with the sole purpose of cheating?

Bodaski
07-31-2016, 10:23 AM
I wouldn't be scared to lay down good money on that theory. What experience did he have coming in to lead a D-1 SEC football program? He was OC 1 year at Ark St. under Malzhon and 1 year HC at Ark St. His experience was knowing how the "network" operated and he had the personality for it to operate and hide behind. The fact the NCAA was knee deep at OM after his first year on the job speaks volumes. Or, maybe the descrepancies under Freeze were uncovered while looking into other sports and previous coaching staffs. Either way, Freeze was knee deep in recruiting in Orgeron's 1st year and he knew the intricacies of how the "network" operated. No one will every convince me of anything different in the hiring of Freeze. He was brought in to do exactly what they have done, cheat!

Bullsy
07-31-2016, 10:32 AM
Agreed

Saltydog
07-31-2016, 10:43 AM
NT

Chip
07-31-2016, 10:53 AM
I would think that the NCAA has to keep its written allegations within the framework of its written rule structure - what is permissible and what isn't permissible. I would doubt the NCAA can create a written allegation that goes into the hypothetical or theoretical.

PassInterference
07-31-2016, 11:09 AM
FACT: After Nutt was booted, Ole Miss had a problem finding a guy to take the job.

They hired Freeze because Freeze wanted it and they had no better choice.

BossDawg
07-31-2016, 11:23 AM
What if the NCAA accused OM of hiring Freeze with the sole purpose of cheating? I wouldn't be scared to lay down good money on that theory.

I bet you'd be surprised if you knew exactly how many people shared your feelings. I have thought the exact same thing for a while.

PassInterference
07-31-2016, 11:25 AM
Ole Miss did know what get where getting with Freeze. He was Orgeron's recruiting coordinator. Orgeron wrote the book. Freeze was his prot?g

Political Hack
07-31-2016, 11:30 AM
They knew what they were doing for sure, but the NCAA could never develop any level of reliable evidence for an accusation like that. That could honestly spell the death penalty for the NCAA if they did that. The NCAA is a paper tiger regardless. They're only as powerful as its members allow them to be.

AlmostPositive
07-31-2016, 11:30 AM
Rev Hugh Chizik was hired in response to OM losing three Egg Bowls in a row. I doubt if any thoughtful person thinks the last OM couching hire was made without an intention to rectify their recent slide, by any means necessary.

msbulldog
07-31-2016, 11:35 AM
The lead men in hiring Freeze were Archie and Fed Ex Fred. Big money and been around the cheating since the Vaught days. Archie was a MSU fan in his younger days, but he couldn't turn down the Vaught deal. Young man who's daddy had just committed suicide and left a family that needed to be taken care of, not a hard choice.

Bodaski
07-31-2016, 11:41 AM
I don't know why it's hard to believe. They fired David Cutcliff because he wouldn't play like the "network" wanted him to.

MrKotter
07-31-2016, 11:43 AM
Fred Smith isn't nearly as involved with om as you seem to believe. Touhy was the ring leader for freeze

msbulldog
07-31-2016, 11:51 AM
Fred Smith isn't nearly as involved with om as you seem to believe. Touhy was the ring leader for freeze

Could be, that's certainly believable and the more I think about it highly likely. But as far as Touhy is concerned, it must be unbelievable to be married to smoking hot Sandra Bullock.*****

BHildreth3
07-31-2016, 12:10 PM
It's my opinion that once they got to Freeze (after others turned them down) the booster decision makers made sure Freeze "understood" the situation: Identify the targets, let the Network 'go to work' and stay out of it and coach football.

cheewgumm
07-31-2016, 12:15 PM
Stretch to think NCAA would find that, but it's absolutely what happened.

dawgoneyall
07-31-2016, 12:23 PM
I wouldn't be scared to lay down good money on that theory. What experience did he have coming in to lead a D-1 SEC football program? He was OC 1 year at Ark St. under Malzhon and 1 year HC at Ark St. His experience was knowing how the "network" operated and he had the personality for it to operate and hide behind. The fact the NCAA was knee deep at OM after his first year on the job speaks volumes. Or, maybe the descrepancies under Freeze were uncovered while looking into other sports and previous coaching staffs. Either way, Freeze was knee deep in recruiting in Orgeron's 1st year and he knew the intricacies of how the "network" operated. No one will every convince me of anything different in the hiring of Freeze. He was brought in to do exactly what they have done, cheat!

Good ole Arch knew....

dawgoneyall
07-31-2016, 12:24 PM
NT

Not at all.

Political Hack
07-31-2016, 12:26 PM

Taco Chico and FredEx know each other well. Infer from that what you will.

Saltydog
07-31-2016, 12:37 PM
It's not only a stretch, it's a FAR stretch........From the standpoint that that's why they hired him, why heck yeah that's plausible but expecting the NCAA to punish them for hiring him is, well stupid.

Harrydawg
07-31-2016, 12:42 PM
This started with Boone being ousted. Boone was not allowing the network to perform as intended. He had to go first....

Political Hack
07-31-2016, 01:04 PM
#ForwardRebels

Johnson85
07-31-2016, 02:01 PM
NT

How is that a stretch? It glosses over the fact that they had few decent options at the time, but I think it's pretty obvious that freeze knowing how they recruited and being ok with it were significant factors in him getting the job.

RIdog
07-31-2016, 02:16 PM
The lead men in hiring Freeze were Archie and Fed Ex Fred. Big money and been around the cheating since the Vaught days. Archie was a MSU fan in his younger days, but he couldn't turn down the Vaught deal. Young man who's daddy had just committed suicide and left a family that needed to be taken care of, not a hard choice.

To be factual Archie's dad committed suicide AFTER his freshman year ? ? ?

Bodaski
07-31-2016, 02:18 PM
How is that a stretch? It glosses over the fact that they had few decent options at the time, but I think it's pretty obvious that freeze knowing how they recruited and being ok with it were significant factors in him getting the job.

Exactly what I tried to imply in my original post. Yea he knew and was fine with it just to get his chance and in so doing taking a slight chance of getting caught. All of that thinking was watching how the NCAA had failed on other deals recently.

TUSK
07-31-2016, 03:51 PM
It's definitely a stretch, but it could happen if there was a "secret witness", ala Phil Phulmer....

Todd4State
07-31-2016, 04:19 PM
No way they would be dumb enough to admit they hired Freeze to cheat even though that is the case. I suppose their original plan was to hire Tony Dungy and tell him not to worry about recruiting because that would take care of itself.

As others have said Ole Miss will turn on people if they start losing. Ask Houston Nutt or the multiple others they have turned on. Here's hoping they do indeed start off 1-3 because then it could get pretty interesting.

benbow
07-31-2016, 04:52 PM
Isn't (hasn't) Touhy's daughter marrying Fred Smith's son.

Dawgcentral
07-31-2016, 04:55 PM
Anyone remember Orgeron saying he was " Going to build a fence around Memphis".

Of course he should have said "Beaver Dam", but you get the point.

msujan
07-31-2016, 05:17 PM
I expressed a very similar opinion on here a few weeks ago. My theory includes his "preacher" persona as a smokescreen for outside entities like SEC office, NCAA, some of their gullible fans, and for church mothers of recruits. I'm all in with your idea.

msbulldog
07-31-2016, 05:20 PM
To be factual Archie's dad committed suicide AFTER his freshman year ? ? ?

After googling it I found that you are correct, sir, thank you.

Dawgowar
07-31-2016, 05:41 PM
If the NCAA "accused" UNM of hiring Freeze to cheat....UNM would deny having a coach Freeze and refer them to their law firm in wherever it is this week.

turkish
07-31-2016, 06:28 PM
Rev Hugh Chizik was hired in response to OM losing three Egg Bowls in a row. I doubt if any thoughtful person thinks the last OM couching hire was made without an intention to rectify their recent slide, by any means necessary.
^^^ This cat thinks like me. When Auburn hired Chizik, it didn't pass the funny-look test. Just seemed weird. Lo and behold, the guy wins a natty, maybe the worst coach to ever do so. I learned a lesson --- and apparently some UOM folks noticed, too. The feeling was familiar when UNM announced Freeze. Who? EXACTLY! The proverbial fat girl at prom. They were following the Auburn model, and who can blame them?

Will the NCAA do anything? They didn't at Auburn.

RIdog
07-31-2016, 06:29 PM
After googling it I found that you are correct, sir, thank you.

Yeah , i was friends with Bob White (QB from Meridian) who was in the same class as Archie and actually much higher regarded coming out of high school but was injured in the high school all star game and never was the same . Plus we bartended together in the 70's and i heard plenty of stories . :)

Bodaski
07-31-2016, 06:29 PM
It's my opinion that once they got to Freeze (after others turned them down) the booster decision makers made sure Freeze "understood" the situation: Identify the targets, let the Network 'go to work' and stay out of it and coach football.

I remember the talk about Freeze calling Archie and begging for the job. I think it was pretty well documented this occurred if I remember correctly. It was pretty well known Freeze was politicking pretty hard for the job, while the "network" we're still searching.

Todd4State
07-31-2016, 06:48 PM
I remember the talk about Freeze calling Archie and begging for the job. I think it was pretty well documented this occurred if I remember correctly. It was pretty well known Freeze was politicking pretty hard for the job, while the "network" we're still searching.

I think their original plan was to use Archie's connections to get Tony Dungy to coach Ole Miss but Dungy wouldn't do it. That tells me that at least part of their plan was to get a clean cut ultra Christian guy to front the program while they cheat behind closed doors. It's the "we don't cheat- we're Christian" fa?ade. To go along with the "If you accuse us of cheating you're evil" meme. Of course having a NFL guy like Dungy would make pulling in guys like Treadwell and Tunsil more believable as well. Which is a big sticking point that they have right now- how could a Sun Belt coach go 7-6 and then haul in a top 5 recruiting class in one cycle?

It would be interesting to see if Freeze was over the top holier than thou at Arkansas State. Freeze was definitely their fall back plan because they wanted a big NFL type name like Dungy or Gruden.

I do know that Freeze wasn't their first choice.

lamont
07-31-2016, 07:07 PM
"It's not what you did- It's what you can prove"

#TheNetwork

Political Hack
07-31-2016, 10:14 PM

A text message surfaced that Hugh Freeze accidentally sent to Archie's old phone number inquiring about the job.

Op4isabitch
07-31-2016, 10:33 PM

Actually it was Mike Glenn. Mr Smith doesn't give two hoots about OleMiss.

Op4isabitch
07-31-2016, 10:35 PM

Yes

TrapGame
08-01-2016, 07:47 AM
^^^ This cat thinks like me. When Auburn hired Chizik, it didn't pass the funny-look test. Just seemed weird. Lo and behold, the guy wins a natty, maybe the worst coach to ever do so. I learned a lesson --- and apparently some UOM folks noticed, too. The feeling was familiar when UNM announced Freeze. Who? EXACTLY! The proverbial fat girl at prom. They were following the Auburn model, and who can blame them?

Cam didn't have a pissed off stepdad that spilled the beans to the NCAA.

Bubb Rubb
08-01-2016, 08:07 AM
I expressed a very similar opinion on here a few weeks ago. My theory includes his "preacher" persona as a smokescreen for outside entities like SEC office, NCAA, some of their gullible fans, and for church mothers of recruits. I'm all in with your idea.

My personal opinion is that I don't fully agree with this. I think Freeze was hired because he's a rube, and the booster network knew they could operate with him in place. I believe Hugh uses his faith to his advantage, no doubt, and that is shameful, but I also think that he genuinely believes a lot of the stuff he is saying. He just cannot control the football program - he's in over his head. For this reason - he will ultimately be the fall guy, and they will throw him under the bus and move on. You heard it here first.

Johnson85
08-01-2016, 10:31 AM

The Chizik hire was actually more obviously about him turning the other way. Both Auburn and Ole Miss were having trouble getting a coach comparable to their stature because of their unrealistic expectations (UM still thinking they should somehow be something other than 2nd tier Power 5 program; Auburn thinking that they should never fall behind Bama, even for three or four year stretches). But Auburn could have still gotten some coaches with good resumes; no reason for them to grab a guy with a losing record like Chizik. Freeze actually made a little bit of sense. AFter chasing off Cutcliffe, the Orgeron failure, and Nutt imploding after just two years (after having a pretty decent, long stretch at Arkansas), Ole Miss didn't look desirable at all. They could have gotten a better candidate, but Freeze had shown promise. He just hadn't had the time to build up a competitive resume.

Political Hack
08-01-2016, 11:38 AM
My personal opinion is that I don't fully agree with this. I think Freeze was hired because he's a rube, and the booster network knew they could operate with him in place. I believe Hugh uses his faith to his advantage, no doubt, and that is shameful, but I also think that he genuinely believes a lot of the stuff he is saying. He just cannot control the football program - he's in over his head. For this reason - he will ultimately be the fall guy, and they will throw him under the bus and move on. You heard it here first.

Generally agree with this. In the long run, it doesn't matter though. He's going to be hung out to dry by the NCAA. They have no choice.

jumbo
08-01-2016, 12:33 PM

Yes, they got married a couple months ago.