FS: Whitley/Arrington
SPECIAL TEAMS
PK: Bell/Sobiesk
P: Swedenburg/Mordecai
SN: Winston Chapman
KO RET: Lewis and Perkins
PUNT RET: Lewis

No Quay or Nick James.

Good for Lewis on PR. And on KR, but I'd rather see another speedster paired with him on KR.

I would have thought Ritchie Brown would be on the depth chart.

TopconDog
08-25-2013, 03:14 PM
My concern is Calhoun over cox and our strong safties and we better pray day don't get hurt

Coach34
08-25-2013, 03:15 PM
OFFENSE
WR: Morrow/Wilson
WR: Lewis/Holloway
WR: Johnson/Chappelle
LT: Clausell/Robinson
RT: Siddoway/Senior
C: Day/Holley
LG: Jackson/Muniz
RG: Malone/Beckwith
TE: Malcolm Johnson/Hill
RB: Perkins/Robinson or Griffin
QB: Russell/Prescott

DEFENSE
DE: Smith/Brown
DE: Autry/Chris Jones
DT: PJ Jones/Nelson Adams
DT: Eulls/Jordan Washington
LB: Wells/Zach Jackson
LB: McKinney/Bohanna
LB: Skinner/Beniquez Brown
CB: Love/Jiles
CB: Calhoun/Cox
SS: Hughes/Market

Thoughts?

Political Hack
08-25-2013, 03:16 PM
Calhoun over Cox is a little surprising.

That's not going to be the DT rotation.

chainedup_Dawg
08-25-2013, 03:18 PM
Surprised to see Calhoun over Cox personally

RC3
08-25-2013, 03:20 PM
Thoughts?

That someone else beat you to the punch. Ha just
Kidding. Hard to believe quay can't break into the two-deep. Also, I thought everyone was saying that Cox was having a good summer. Finally, our linebackers should be pretty damn good; the two deep looks solid there.
I'm still very very worried about the LT position. Clausell has never impressed me and we all know the Robinson story

Westdawg
08-25-2013, 03:22 PM
I think that depth chart is gonna motivate a few guys to bust their humps and work hard. I also think this chart more accurately reflects some of what Collins wants to do defensively. Lot of speed on that list. Glad to see Adams get into the 2 deep at DT

BeastMan
There are some major head-scratchers on the 2nd team D. If Adams and Washington are rotating in 2nd, I won't be thrilled about that. Not a shot at those 2 but Quay, Virges, and James are much much more game ready

msstate7
That someone else beat you to the punch. Ha just
Kidding. Hard to believe quay can't break into the two-deep. Also, I thought everyone was saying that Cox was having a good summer. Finally, our linebackers should be pretty damn good; the two deep looks solid there.
I'm still very very worried about the LT position. Clausell has never impressed me and we all know the Robinson story
Maybe cox did have a good summer and Calhoun just had an even better one.

engie
08-25-2013, 03:26 PM
Jordan Washington 2nd string DT? Over Virges, Quay, and James? That doesn't even remotely pass the sniff test...

Not at all surprised about Love and Calhoun starting week 1 @ corner. Everyone complained about our "lack of experience" -- well, we are starting a bunch of experience. About 38 games worth of experience at CB to be exact...

OK State is going to split a bunch of guys wide constantly, meaning we'll be in nickel a ton. I'd expect Cox to primarily play that role -- especially with his versatility to roll out of nickel and into the safety position, which he played at EMCC(hurry ups not allowing substitutions)... Cox is the only player on the team versatile enough to play every single DB position for us(and some linebacker in the right sets)...

msstate7
08-25-2013, 03:29 PM
Guy on sps posted link to depth chart that's different.

http://www.hailstate.com/fls/16800/pdf/fb/fb_depth_13fall.pdf

Big4Dawg
08-25-2013, 03:31 PM
Looks like Milton is the odd man out at RB.
Morrow looked like he held on for the other WR sport.

Coach34
08-25-2013, 03:32 PM

that was after Spring Practice

Big4Dawg
08-25-2013, 03:33 PM
And Richie is behind two upperclassmen at MLB. Not surprised there.

msstate7
08-25-2013, 03:33 PM
that was after Spring Practice
Gotcha. Just making sure.

Coach34
08-25-2013, 03:34 PM
There are some major head-scratchers on the 2nd team D. If Adams and Washington are rotating in 2nd, I won't be thrilled about that. Not a shot at those 2 but Quay, Virges, and James are much much more game ready

I told you guys Milton wasnt going to overtake JRob. I hate he is going thru a tough time with his family, and that could have hurt him some. But JRob is the better player

msstate7
08-25-2013, 03:37 PM
I told you guys Milton wasnt going to overtake JRob. I hate he is going thru a tough time with his family, and that could have hurt him some. But JRob is the better player

So with shump in and Williams committed, do we give Milton a look at a other position or will he be an attrition candidate?

engie
08-25-2013, 03:39 PM

That was pre-fall.

The other one is going into the OK State game.

Again, worth restating this again -- Mullen and our staff does not put together the depth chart nor "determine" it as we read it.

We averaged > 60 players/game getting snaps last year. The starters/depth chart means very little -- it's the total # of snaps seen that will tell the story.

Jay Hughes was NEVER listed as our starter(on the "released" depth charts that come out every week in game notes) at SS last year -- despite playing about 45% of the total snaps there and starting 3 of the final 4 games...

Big4Dawg
08-25-2013, 03:46 PM
Do we release # of snaps anywhere??

Coach34
08-25-2013, 03:50 PM
So with shump in and Williams committed, do we give Milton a look at a other position or will he be an attrition candidate?

Milton should absolutely be an attrition candidate- he need to go somewhere he will get to play. He can help alot of schools out- just not us

BogeyGolfer
08-25-2013, 04:02 PM
Love over Jiles.... This will change by game three.. Also would like to see Jones and Autry in game at same time... Which I'm sure we will. Also Quay will play a lot.

maroonmania
08-25-2013, 04:05 PM
OFFENSE
WR: Morrow/Wilson
WR: Lewis/Holloway
WR: Johnson/Chappelle
LT: Clausell/Robinson
RT: Siddoway/Senior
C: Day/Holley
LG: Jackson/Muniz
RG: Malone/Beckwith
TE: Malcolm Johnson/Hill
RB: Perkins/Robinson or Griffin
QB: Russell/Prescott

DEFENSE
DE: Smith/Brown
DE: Autry/Chris Jones
DT: PJ Jones/Nelson Adams
DT: Eulls/Jordan Washington
LB: Wells/Zach Jackson
LB: McKinney/Bohanna
LB: Skinner/Beniquez Brown
CB: Love/Jiles
CB: Calhoun/Cox
SS: Hughes/Market

Thoughts?

Well I guess we can officially put to bed the rumor that Quay wasn't playing last year because of Chris Wilson. Would be willing to bet if Cherrington was still around he would likely STILL be starting at one of the DT spots. Doesn't exactly give me a warm fuzzy about that position though when 2 guys who have never played a down of college ball in their life are our first backups.

MSUDawg4Life
08-25-2013, 04:12 PM
I think too much emphasis is being placed on who is "starting". In the cases of Love/Jiles and Calhoun/Cox, it should be obvious to everyone that both guys will play. That depth chart just gives a nod to the guys that have been here, already played and those who had great camps. Starter is an overrated term with our team except at QB because we rotate a lot of guys.

maroonmania
08-25-2013, 04:22 PM
I'm not worried that much about starting but I think it says something if a player isn't making the 2 deep at his position. Especially if a player with less experience at the postion is who is in the spot instead. I know Mullen places a lot of emphasis on experience and time in the program so if a guy is an underclassman to you and taking your spot on the depth chart its a bad sign for sure.

Todd4State
08-25-2013, 04:27 PM
WR- I wouldn't be surprised to see Bear Wilson starting by the end of the year over Morrow. Ultimately, I think Bear grows into a TE/H-back, so hopefully we will work him into some TE sets.

O-line- Damien Robinson at LT is interesting to me. Muniz at back-up guard? I'd probably let Devon Desper be the back-up and get some live game reps before moving him back to center full time as a sophomore. Our back-ups look a little thin to me.

TE- Looks good. Use Bear here some please.

RB- Use Perkins in the passing game more please.

QB- What is this? A senior QB that holds a lot of school records and doesn't look like he is trying to impersonate a poor man's Doug Flutie?

DE- I expect to see a lot of Chris Jones in this rotation.

DT- Quay, Nick, dead horse.

LB- Very solid group per MSU tradition. Might use Richie as the back-up over Zach Jackson.

CB- Calhoun? Really? I would start Giles or Justin Cox.

SS- I would probably go with Justin Cox. Assuming Giles is the other starting CB.

FS- Solid group.

K- Bell is better than he is given credit for.

P- Swedenberg should be good. Another position that is typically strong at MSU aside from the McShank era.

PR- What about the rumors of Whitley returning punts?

KR- Perkins gets his chance to show that he can be a solid kick returner to the NFL scouts.

SN- Winston Chapman say he ain't no Hebrew Howitzer.

Coach34
08-25-2013, 04:33 PM
Love over Jiles.... .

Everybody gets on Love- I look for him to be a 13 game starter this year. He started last year in the nickel package. He's ready to play

Todd4State
08-25-2013, 04:35 PM
Love is good. He's very physical and the only time I remember him being beat was when he fell down against UK.

Coach34
08-25-2013, 04:40 PM
WR- I wouldn't be surprised to see Bear Wilson starting by the end of the year over Morrow. Ultimately, I think Bear grows into a TE/H-back, so hopefully we will work him into some TE sets.

TE- Looks good. Use Bear here some please.

LB- Very solid group per MSU tradition. Might use Richie as the back-up over Zach Jackson..

A) If you want DeRunnya to play- the last thing you want to do is teach him multiple positions as a true Freshman. We already have enough TE's

B) Richie cant play Zach Jackson's position. That has been a problem for us the last 2 years- playing a Sam LB at the Will who has to cover slot WR's. We dont want Richie covering guys like Jameon- it's not fair to Richie. Richie is just behind some very damn good players and has to wait for Skinner to graduate so he can get more playing time.

engie
08-25-2013, 04:42 PM
What has Calhoun ever done wrong for people to assume he can't be a solid ass SEC CB? Not have enough stars beside his name or hype on signing day? Seems like we just had 2 of those types ease on down the road to starting positions in the NFL...

Calhoun played 1/3 of the total snaps last year at CB and no one even realized that he was out there in comparison with our two blue-chips now departed. The fact that the #1 JUCO DB couldn't offseat either of these guys in game 1 SHOULD speak volumes to how good the two returning guys have been...

I LOVE the fact that Mullen thinks we've got 2 solid outside CBs(going on 4 in reality once Redmond is cleared) -- that will basically free up Cox to do other things to help us. He's better for us in a versatility role at SS/nB -- a position that many feel is the weakest on our defense which he played tremendously at EMCC...

PassInterference
08-25-2013, 04:46 PM
#1 sign that we're building a good team - we've got damn good talent that can't win a starting job.

MetEdDawg
08-25-2013, 04:47 PM
There really doesn't seem to be any other legitimate explanation except for this. No way Nelson and Jordan get in the game over Quay. Doesn't make sense. Now obviously I'm not an insider and I don't know what is going on behind the scenes, but you can't tell me that Quay can't beat out either of those two guys. Unless he is suspended game 1, I fully expect to see him on the field Saturday playing a decent part on the field.

engie
08-25-2013, 04:48 PM
B) Richie cant play Zach Jackson's position. That has been a problem for us the last 2 years- playing a Sam LB at the Will who has to cover slot WR's. We dont want Richie covering guys like Jameon- it's not fair to Richie. Richie is just behind some very damn good players and has to wait for Skinner to graduate so he can get more playing time.

This is a good point, and I don't understand our thinking on this -- although the actual playing arrangement may prove that this "depth chart" is about as valuable as wel already suspect(which is to say, not at all valuable).

Why is Beniquez not at Wlb with Richie splitting time at Slb/Mlb? That is the more prototypical arrangement to get our best talent more snaps in game situations...unless I'm just severely underestimating Zach Jackson in that role. Beniquez can play the hybrid role. I'd say he's the second best in that regard on the team to Wells(at least in prototype size/speed arrangement). Having him @ SLB seems like a waste to me in a position that Richie is actually very suited to play...

maroonmania
08-25-2013, 04:49 PM
Forget it, Perkins will never be a KR in the NFL from anything in that area he has shown to date.

DogBanker
08-25-2013, 04:50 PM
Adams made plays during the spring game and has continued that work into fall camp. Just listen to Turner talk about him. Washington is a surprise, but Adams to me isn't it.

maroonmania
08-25-2013, 04:52 PM
Adams made plays during the spring game and has continued that work into fall camp. Just listen to Turner talk about him. Washington is a surprise, but Adams to me isn't it.

Its not just Quay and Nick. Heck, whatever happened to Curtis Virges. I mean, if I remember correctly, he actually started out last year as a starter.

Todd4State
08-25-2013, 05:00 PM
What has Calhoun ever done wrong for people to assume he can't be a solid ass SEC CB? Not have enough stars beside his name or hype on signing day? Seems like we just had 2 of those types ease on down the road to starting positions in the NFL...

Calhoun played 1/3 of the total snaps last year at CB and no one even realized that he was out there in comparison with our two blue-chips now departed. The fact that the #1 JUCO DB couldn't offseat either of these guys in game 1 SHOULD speak volumes to how good the two returning guys have been...

I LOVE the fact that Mullen thinks we've got 2 solid outside CBs(going on 4 in reality once Redmond is cleared) -- that will basically free up Cox to do other things to help us. He's better for us in a versatility role at SS/nB -- a position that many feel is the weakest on our defense which he played tremendously at EMCC...

Calhoun just doesn't seem all that physical to me. But mainly when I notice him is on special teams. I know that's apples and oranges from playing CB, but it leaves an impression.

engie
08-25-2013, 05:01 PM
Adams was overlooked and raw coming out of highschool. His "talent" level can be better seen in his younger brother @ Brandon who is essentially getting 2 extra years of good coaching/weight training at the highschool level than Nelson got coming out... Fletcher Adams will be a mid/high 4* coming out...

I agree -- no surprise to see him here. Washington is the head scratcher...

Todd4State
08-25-2013, 05:04 PM
A) If you want DeRunnya to play- the last thing you want to do is teach him multiple positions as a true Freshman. We already have enough TE's

What engie said about the LB's. I think Beniquez is the Will of the future.

msstate7
08-25-2013, 05:12 PM
There really doesn't seem to be any other legitimate explanation except for this. No way Nelson and Jordan get in the game over Quay. Doesn't make sense. Now obviously I'm not an insider and I don't know what is going on behind the scenes, but you can't tell me that Quay can't beat out either of those two guys. Unless he is suspended game 1, I fully expect to see him on the field Saturday playing a decent part on the field.

This could be the case

Op4isabitch
08-25-2013, 05:30 PM

What do you expect...sixpackspeak is a bunch of ole miss fans. They couldn't read an MSU depth chart if it was tattooed on their arm.

aerodawg
08-25-2013, 05:31 PM
I remember watching an interview with Collins and he mentioned Love's speed. Said they hand clocked it sub 4.3. If the guy can get position and has a nose for the ball then there are no receivers that can burn him in a foot race. Of course that doesn't take into account blown coverages so we will see.

Coach34
08-25-2013, 05:47 PM
What engie said about the LB's. I think Beniquez is the Will of the future.

Bennie is already 225- he probably is going to be 235 when all is said and done. I look for him to stay at Sam. We want hybrid SS/LB types at the Will that are no bigger than 215-220. They cant afford to be any bigger if they are going to cover Slots from time to time

smootness
08-25-2013, 05:49 PM
You could easily be a straight SS at 215-220. Beniquez Brown is a very good athlete...he could easily still fly around the field at 235. He fits the mold of the weakside LB much more than strongside.

I realize he's listed behind Skinner now, but to me Richie is a better fit there, at least as long as McKinney is starting at MLB.

engie
08-25-2013, 05:59 PM
Bennie is already 225- he probably is going to be 235 when all is said and done. I look for him to stay at Sam. We want hybrid SS/LB types at the Will that are no bigger than 215-220. They cant afford to be any bigger if they are going to cover Slots from time to time

4.4-4.5 speed is 4.4-4.5 speed. How much weight it's carrying is immaterial as long as the speed is there IMO.

Beniquez at SLB is basically wasting his open-field speed and coverage ability...which are both very, very good for any LB...and thus why I think he's a better fit at WLB.

Fact is, if Beniquez doesn't fit the mold, we don't have a SINGLE prototype WLB behind Wells on the roster that can adequately fulfill that spot...

Coach34
08-25-2013, 06:01 PM
A&M had Swope in the Slot last year- he is a 4.3-something guy. 230 pound+ LB's cant cover that. I look for Bennie to stay at Sam and start there next year...we are going to play hybrid types at Will under Collins and any other Coordinator that has any sense

bluelightstar
08-25-2013, 06:03 PM
What do you expect...sixpackspeak is a bunch of ole miss fans. They couldn't read an MSU depth chart if it was tattooed on their arm.

The guy who accidentally posted the wrong depth chart is a 3rd generation MSU fan..

engie
08-25-2013, 06:04 PM
A&M had Swope in the Slot last year- he is a 4.3-something guy. 230 pound+ LB's cant cover that. I look for Bennie to stay at Sam and start there next year...we are going to play hybrid types at Will under Collins and any other Coordinator that has any sense

Beni is a hybrid type IMO... LB size, S speed. Now, do I want him in nickel a bunch? No. I don't want Wells in nickel a bunch either. I much prefer Cox in the game for that role...

Again, Wells is a total freakshow athlete. If Beni doesn't fit that mold of WLB for us, there is nobody on the roster that really fits it behind Wells...and no one coming in either... and I'm nervous about the position...

Bothrops
08-25-2013, 06:14 PM
Seems like I remember Banks making the statement of Calhoun being the next lock-down corner at State. I think this was around a year ago. Then Calhoun had some sort of injury early in the season, if I'm not mistaken..

smootness
08-25-2013, 06:17 PM

Well, a hybrid-SS/LB is not covering a 4.3 slot WR any better than a 235+ lb. LB. You need a true speed corner to do that.

mic
08-25-2013, 06:19 PM
Love over Jiles.... This will change by game three.. Also would like to see Jones and Autry in game at same time... Which I'm sure we will. Also Quay will play a lot.

Disagree.. Love has locked down a spot..
We will play a lot of 3-3-5 or 4-2-5
Im more shocked that Calhoun has according to depth chart beat out Jiles. Tells me that Calhoun has taken his game up a notch because Jiles played last year as a true frosh before he got hurt..
This may be a good thing.. And wait till Redmond gets back.. Great depth here..

mic
08-25-2013, 06:26 PM
I also have a feeling that Quay or Nick or Virges or all 3 may be suspended for game 1.. I would have expected Quay to make the depth chart. and like someone said maybe its a wake up call , but don't read too much into the depth chart on the DL .. Lots of guys there and just need 2 or 3 to step up behing PJ and Eulls..
Lets don't write off Washington. Ohio Sate was after him very hard .

smootness
08-25-2013, 06:27 PM
Calhoun played, too, though, and may have played some in 2011 had he not gotten hurt.

I think both he and Jiles are very good talents.

mic
08-25-2013, 06:29 PM
Calhoun played, too, though, and may have played some in 2011 had he not gotten hurt.

I think both he and Jiles are very good talents.
I agree.. Great problem too have ..

DogBanker
08-25-2013, 06:39 PM
I have said it before and will continue to say it, our talent this year at CB will be better then what it was last year. They need to get Cox on the field; maybe over Hughes at S? Our defense will be good this year and I'm ready to see our talent unleashed

maroonmania
08-25-2013, 06:41 PM
I also have a feeling that Quay or Nick or Virges or all 3 may be suspended for game 1.. I would have expected Quay to make the depth chart. and like someone said maybe its a wake up call , but don't read too much into the depth chart on the DL .. Lots of guys there and just need 2 or 3 to step up behing PJ and Eulls..

Just another reason we don't need to have challenging games for openers. Apparently its a tradition for our DTs to be suspended for game one (see PJ last year and also Fletcher Cox against Memphis in 2011).

msstate7
08-25-2013, 06:48 PM
Well, a hybrid-SS/LB is not covering a 4.3 slot WR any better than a 235+ lb. LB. You need a true speed corner to do that.

Unless the hybrid -- ss/lb jams him at the line. That's something we haven't done in forever and I hope that changes this year

War Machine Dawg
08-25-2013, 07:09 PM
Methinks this "depth chart" is a swerve. Give a paper reward to some guys working hard in practice. Let's be honest: Cox, Quay, Virges, James, Ross, and De'Runnya are all going to play and play a LOT. In fact, I'd say Cox will be the "starter" game 1 in terms of snaps, regardless of whether he's the "starter" on the field for the first snap. And I still think Quay is a starter at DT by the end of the season. Morrow is soft and will be an attrition candidate after this season.

War Machine Dawg
08-25-2013, 07:12 PM

Bah, this would be an absolute dumbass move if true. We should do like the Bearz, Bama, LSU, Auburn, etc. and sit these guys in 2 weeks against Alcorn. You don't unload the gun against real teams. And if we DO sit this guys against OSU, I'll be the first to start having some SERIOUS questions about Mullen as a HC.

Coach34
08-25-2013, 07:28 PM
If we have any suspensions- they will be served on Saturday. I guarantee you of that. Mullen is a stickler on accountability.

smootness
08-25-2013, 07:35 PM
Bah, this would be an absolute dumbass move if true. We should do like the Bearz, Bama, LSU, Auburn, etc. and sit these guys in 2 weeks against Alcorn. You don't unload the gun against real teams. And if we DO sit this guys against OSU, I'll be the first to start having some SERIOUS questions about Mullen as a HC.

I would begin to have serious questions about him if he did postpone the suspensions. That's a good way to let your whole team know those rules aren't as important as you having talent; in other words, it's a good way to essentially lose the locker room and create an atmosphere of undeserved privilege.

smootness
08-25-2013, 07:36 PM
Unless the hybrid -- ss/lb jams him at the line. That's something we haven't done in forever and I hope that changes this year

A 235+ lb. LB can jam him just as well. But once he gets by you, he's gone the same way he's gone if he gets by the SS/LB.

mic
08-25-2013, 07:51 PM
I would begin to have serious questions about him if he did postpone the suspensions. That's a good way to let your whole team know those rules aren't as important as you having talent; in other words, it's a good way to essentially lose the locker room and create an atmosphere of undeserved privilege.

Agree 100%..

Homedawg
08-25-2013, 08:38 PM
Methinks this "depth chart" is a swerve. Give a paper reward to some guys working hard in practice. Let's be honest: Cox, Quay, Virges, James, Ross, and De'Runnya are all going to play and play a LOT. In fact, I'd say Cox will be the "starter" game 1 in terms of snaps, regardless of whether he's the "starter" on the field for the first snap. And I still think Quay is a starter at DT by the end of the season. Morrow is soft and will be an attrition candidate after this season.

Odds of James playing here ever again aren't good. He's done this year. Quay dodged a bullet and unless he gets his act together this will be his last season. You can read between the line I hope.

biggun
08-25-2013, 08:50 PM

It looked as if he had lost the locker room towards the end of last year. Our uninspired efforts against Ole Miss and Northwestern were beyond embarrassing and made our team look lost and listless.

Regardless of how the game is going Saturday or the score, I fully expect to see us playing with 110% relentless effort and passion for all 4 quarters.

engie
08-25-2013, 09:03 PM
Mullen may "lose the locker room" by playing those guys week 1 -- but he's going to lose the fanbase(even more than he already has) by sitting them out. This is as big of game as Mullen has seen while here -- and will certainly set the tone for the season. Either the bitter taste from last year wears on -- and the place is nowhere near full for Alcorn -- or he rights the ship and everyone is back on board.

We are going to need at least 1 or 2 of those 3 guys playing in this game... 1 DT suspension we can deal with. 2 or 3 we can't.

PendingTransaction
08-25-2013, 09:06 PM
Quay is full of shit. He will never be a starter. Next year he might be in truck driving school.

biggun
08-25-2013, 09:14 PM
Odds of James playing here ever again aren't good. He's done this year. Quay dodged a bullet and unless he gets his act together this will be his last season. You can read between the line I hope.

If true and I believe it is in regards to James, then it is imperative that Mullen and Collins keep Quay and get his head into playing football and going to class asap because we pretty much were counting on both of them to anchor both DT position for years to come when they signed. If you take them out of the equation our recruiting of DT's the last couple of years has been dismal which is why we went so hard after several Juco DT's this last class and came close to signing Toby Johnson and L Hooks but struck out on both, losing them to Georgia and Ole Miss respectively thus our depth chart right now is beyond scary. I heard Toby looks great so far and will be a starter for Georgia but Hooks is 2nd team right now.

Quay has NFL ability, we cannot afford to lose both him and Nick. DT could be a big weakness if James is gone and Quay is not ready to play, starting with OSU. Just not sold on Eulls and PJ has yet to do anything the last 2 years that tells me he will have a big year this year.

smootness
08-25-2013, 09:19 PM
Mullen may "lose the locker room" by playing those guys week 1 -- but he's going to lose the fanbase(even more than he already has) by sitting them out.

Then the fanbase is stupid; doesn't mean Mullen should do it. I want Mullen making the best decisions for the state of the football program, not the decisions that will briefly satisfy some fickle fans.

Coach34
08-25-2013, 09:21 PM
Quay was on the honor roll last Fall...hell, he graduated early...grades arent a problem for him

Coach34
08-25-2013, 09:22 PM
We are going to need at least 1 or 2 of those 3 guys playing in this game... 1 DT suspension we can deal with. 2 or 3 we can't.

No coach is allowed to "Standsbury" suspensions anymore

mic
08-25-2013, 09:24 PM
Quay was on the honor roll last Fall...hell, he graduated early...grades arent a problem for him

This ^^^^
everyone pump the brakes.. If Nick is suspended it could be just for 1 or 2 games..

hacker
08-25-2013, 10:16 PM
What the **** is Homedawg talking about? Spill it.

maroonmania
08-25-2013, 10:22 PM
Some newbie over on SPS brought over a rumor that Nick was academically ineligible this Fall and would be redshirted several days ago. I sort of blew it off but after seeing the depth chart and seeing comments on here about James being done for the year sounds like I shouldn't expect to see him play.

fishwater99
08-25-2013, 10:24 PM

So James can't make the grades. What's Quay's problem?

CooterDavenport
08-25-2013, 10:28 PM
He has no idea and is spouting BS cloaked as insider knowledge.

Homedawg
08-26-2013, 07:25 AM
He has no idea and is spouting BS cloaked as insider knowledge.

If that's what u believe good for u.

camsu
08-26-2013, 10:10 AM
So if James is out, why was he at Fan Day and practiced. That makes no sense. Same with Quay.

SheltonChoked
08-26-2013, 10:21 AM
OSU has their best returning WR's in the slot. Cooper (5-11 195), Stewart (5-10 170), on one side and T. Moore (6-1 233), and C Moore (6-2 198) on the other. So my guess is Cox/Hughes in on the 5-10 /5-11 170-200 guys and Hughes/Wells will be on the 6-1/6-2 200-230 guys.

And the depth chart is a lie.

Johnson85
08-26-2013, 10:32 AM
No coach is allowed to "Standsbury" suspensions anymore

I don't think spreading suspensions out to avoid every offseason violation hitting the first game is comparable to basketball. Not getting to play in a home game with the chance to wrack up some stats is pretty significant punishment. I don't think having a policy of spreading suspensions out over the first several games would result in the players going off the rails. You know there are going to be issues over an entire offseason, and it's not fair to the other players to potentially cost them a bowl game because one game is used to address discipline issues over an 8 month period, when ever other game is only used to address issues over a week, two week, or month period.

If they did something to justify suspending three DT's in the first game, then they better be suspended for multiple games, because if all three of them did something so serious that their suspensions can't be delayed for a game or two to stagger the impact to the team, they all three must have done something that merits more one game suspensions.

Coach 57
08-26-2013, 12:56 PM
Word down the the vine is Quay & Nick will be suspended for the Ok St game.

Political Hack
08-26-2013, 01:03 PM
I've heard Quay will be going to Houston from more than one typically well-informed individual. Wish I could say the same about James.

Coach 57
08-26-2013, 01:08 PM
Hope you are right Hack. Not what I am hearing though. One thing's for sure.....one of us will be wrong. I know this'll bother Goat, but I sure do hope I'm wrong!

smootness
08-26-2013, 01:13 PM
It will stink if we don't have James and Evans, for sure. There is a part of me that wishes the suspensions (if it's true) were postponed, but I'm glad that part of me isn't the one making the decision.

We all want both of them to get their heads straight and be big factors for the next 2-3 years here. What stands the better chance of getting through? Allowing them to play against OSU and sitting them for Alcorn State, or keeping them from making a trip to Houston, and making them sit and watch at home as we potentially beat OSU?

They would hate missing out on that, and I would think that's the kind of thing that could make them start to think, 'What am I doing?' Making them sit against Alcorn would run the risk of making them think, 'Just as I thought, I really am this good.'

Coach34
08-26-2013, 01:13 PM
For some reason people are trying to lump Quay and Nick in together on everything- and why I dont know

smootness
08-26-2013, 01:15 PM
I'm not sure if you're responding to me or not, but I'm definitely not making a concerted effort to do that. It would stink to have either one sit out. I've heard Evans' potential issues are not as severe as James'. That said, there is one rumor that James is suspended and another rumor that they both are.

Coach34
08-26-2013, 01:27 PM
No, I'm just talking in general- it's done on every board. Rarely does someone mention one without the other...it's almost like they are Siamese twins

maroonmania
08-26-2013, 03:51 PM
Guess because they both have lots of potential but appear to both be wasting it by staying on thin ice with the coaching staff. I've heard enough rumblings on various message boards to realize that I won't be seeing James play THIS season and maybe never again. Only thing left now is will Evans stay on the team and be a force this year?

Barking 13
08-26-2013, 03:58 PM
"I'm Nick James, beotch"..... uh-oh....

Dawg61
08-26-2013, 04:48 PM
Milton should absolutely be an attrition candidate- he need to go somewhere he will get to play. He can help alot of schools out- just not us

Why is everyone so quick to give up on Milton? He was a FRESHMAN last year and he avg 5 yards a carry. Good lawrd y'all have some unrealistic expectations. He only has 34 carries to his name.

Johnson85
08-26-2013, 05:44 PM
Why is everyone so quick to give up on Milton? He was a FRESHMAN last year and he avg 5 yards a carry. Good lawrd y'all have some unrealistic expectations. He only has 34 carries to his name.

Doubt they were suggesting we "process" him. I think people are assuming that he is behind J-Rob and will be behind Shumpert, and therefore will likely at least consider leaving, as it will be an uphill climb to ever get above the third spot on the depth chart. If there were ever a position where we would actually encourage a quality SEC player to look elsewhere, it would be RB.

Todd4State
08-26-2013, 05:52 PM

He averages 5 yards a carry when he is actually holding onto the ball.

Political Hack
08-26-2013, 06:11 PM
Quay and James are two completely different animals. Both have attitude issues, but Quay's can be solved through a learning process and a little maturity. He will grow out of it. I promise. Just hope it's soon enough to realize his potential in football, and in the classroom. The guy is smart.

James a wildcard and has the kind of reckless mindset you want at DT, although he needs to start learning how to turn it on and off. I'm not sure that capability is there to be 100% honest. If he does turn it on, he'd be an absolute MONSTER at DT.

Dawg61
08-26-2013, 06:14 PM
If he's fumbling in games then I'll want him gone but I only remember 1 fumble he had last year. Fumbling in PRACTICE is hardly a reason to want him gone so quickly. Remember he was just a freshman last year.

Coach34
08-26-2013, 06:21 PM

He's running 5th team currently- he will hardpressed to get 34 carries this year

Dawg61
08-26-2013, 06:31 PM
Just a friendly wager but I bet you Milton gets more carries than Griffin this year.

Coach34
08-26-2013, 06:38 PM
Just a friendly wager but I bet you Milton gets more carries than Griffin this year.

I'll take that

Todd4State
08-26-2013, 07:20 PM
If he's fumbling in games then I'll want him gone but I only remember 1 fumble he had last year. Fumbling in PRACTICE is hardly a reason to want him gone so quickly. Remember he was just a freshman last year.

I don't think people want him gone because he is bad. It's just that when the competition is this stiff, fumbling in pactice is going to matter.

Coach34
08-26-2013, 07:29 PM

he fumbled twice in games last year on only 34 carries- thats awful. Plus he fumbles in practice

He's running 5th team and we have Williams and Lee coming in- there's nowhere for him to play

Dawg61
08-26-2013, 07:42 PM
I'll stay on my island. I like Milton. I'll wait to see what he does in his next 34 carries. If he hasn't improved I'll join the cut bait idea but if he does improve maybe my island will become more popular. We'll see, I'm rooting for Milton to prove y'all wrong.

smootness
08-26-2013, 07:53 PM
I'll stay on my island. I like Milton. I'll wait to see what he does in his next 34 carries. If he hasn't improved I'll join the cut bait idea but if he does improve maybe my island will become more popular. We'll see, I'm rooting for Milton to prove y'all wrong.

I don't think people are saying Milton can't improve or be a good SEC RB. I like him myself. But even I'd he improves, he has a very tough task ahead of him to get playing time. I think Shumpert and Williams will be our RBs of the future, and Perkins and Robinson are the RBs of now. He may leave on his own to get himself carries somewhere.

msstate7
08-26-2013, 07:56 PM
Did Milton play any other positions in hs? Does he have any value at another position?

FISHDAWG
08-27-2013, 08:56 AM
He averages 5 yards a carry when he is actually holding onto the ball.

I keep hearing about his fumble problems .... as I have stated before I can only REMEMBER 1 FUMBLE ... this does not reveal a pattern !

Coach34
08-27-2013, 09:34 AM
I keep hearing about his fumble problems .... as I have stated before I can only REMEMBER 1 FUMBLE ... this does not reveal a pattern !

He had only 34 carries last year...RB's should only fumble once per 100-150 carries- some go entire seasons without fumbling

His fumble vs LSU changed the game completely
His other fumble came against Bama...from ESPN:

"Derrick Milton rush for a loss of 3 yards, fumbled, recovered by MisSt Dak Prescott at the Alab 43."

We didnt lose his other fumble- but he still fumbled. 2 fumbles in 34 carries is terrible.

Homedawg
08-27-2013, 12:34 PM
Fumbles or no fumbles he's our 5th best back if everyone is healthy. He's not bad- just a long way from ever playing a lot. Thats without the whole fumble problem.