PDA

View Full Version : Last Chance U

ShotgunDawg
07-29-2016, 06:30 PM
Just watched the first episode of Last Chance U, a Netflix documentary on East Mississippi CC football, and I highly recommend it.

Here are a few notes:

1. It takes you into the world in which many of our players come from and our coaches recruit in. It's worth watching just to gain an appreciation for both our players and our coaches.

2. The academic counselor Ms Wagner is an MSU grad and a smoke show. Need to make her part of MSU's recruiting efforts.

3. If Auburn starts John Franklin they may stink. The East Misssissippi coaches wouldn't start him because he can't throw. Gotta a feeling their offense will be extremely erratic.

4. Ravian Pierce catches a TD against EMCC and he's got some acceleration. Sure would be nice if we could pull him.

5. I now understand why Buddy Stephens isn't a D1 coach. He's basically a prison warden and organizes things.

msbulldog
07-29-2016, 06:45 PM
Sounds good, I will try to see it tonight, if it doesn't interfere with my wife's TV schedule.

ShotgunDawg
07-29-2016, 06:46 PM
Sounds good, I will try to see it tonight, if it doesn't interfere with my wife's TV schedule.

Just make sure you don't watch it with your child. It's rated Mature for a reason

M.Fillmore
07-30-2016, 06:57 AM
It is very good. As someone who is on the sidelines of a Juco game every week, it is also accurate. The sidelines of high school and Juco are a universe apart.

At first I was wondering how they could drag it out for six episodes. Now I wonder how they cut it down to six episodes. A lot of stuff went on the editing room floor.

One thing they didn't show enough of are Buddy Stevens pre-game speeches. He is excellent. He has those guys breathing fire when they come out on the field.

msbulldog
07-30-2016, 07:01 AM
Just make sure you don't watch it with your child. It's rated Mature for a reason

Saw it:
Good show.
Ms Wagner is smokin hot, MSU all over in her office.
My daughter is 29.

Dawgfan77
07-30-2016, 08:45 AM
Saw it:
Good show.
Ms Wagner is smokin hot, MSU all over in her office.
My daughter is 29.

Are you saying that is your daughter?

Also, regarding Franklin. Completely agree a great athlete trying to play QB. This is the reason I keep hearing the kid that played against us last year will be the starter

msujan
07-30-2016, 09:09 AM
Watched the entire series. Being female, I've never been exposed to practices, games, etc., with the coaches and players in each others' faces, so I was a little surprised - not at the coaches, but at the players. The disrespect was surprising. Does that go on at D1 schools?

ShotgunDawg
07-30-2016, 10:05 AM
Watched the entire series. Being female, I've never been exposed to practices, games, etc., with the coaches and players in each others' faces, so I was a little surprised - not at the coaches, but at the players. The disrespect was surprising. Does that go on at D1 schools?

Yes, this absolutely goes on at D1s and it's why it's difficult to be an equally good recruiter as coach. When pandering to these kids to recruit them, you are selling them a vision that highlights them, but when coaching them, you have to de-recruit them and be a hard ass.

While this does go on at D1s, I would say the atmosphere and culture are different. 1. Kids at D1s have qualified, which means on average the kids are smarter and more studious. 2. Many of the kids are where they want to be or belong in D1, so their is likely less entitlement.

lamont
07-30-2016, 10:47 AM

Gives a little clarity on why Rick Stansbury had alot of the troubles he did discipline-wise

somebodyshotmypaw
07-30-2016, 01:22 PM
So what channel does it come on?

HereComesTheSpiral
07-30-2016, 01:30 PM
So what channel does it come on?

Netflix

somebodyshotmypaw
07-30-2016, 03:03 PM
Netflix

Oh. Never done Netflix.

Saltydog
07-30-2016, 04:11 PM
he steers his players towards another university........

ShotgunDawg
07-30-2016, 04:25 PM

It's tough to tell. That other university has honestly had more of a need for his players

dickiedawg
07-30-2016, 04:26 PM
OK so "smoke show" was an overstatement.

Dawgfan77
07-30-2016, 05:09 PM

Yes and no, we signed autry from there had a wr committed who ended up at Ohio St and we just picked up a OL commitment . He is not happy with the fact we place a lot of players at co Lin

Saltydog
07-30-2016, 05:11 PM
differences with MSU coaches from all accounts......

Entodawg
07-30-2016, 05:26 PM
I thought we started sending our sign and place guys to Co-Lin because he tried to push Justin Cox to Bama

Ifyouonlyknew
07-30-2016, 05:35 PM
Buddy Stephens isn't a fan or feeder to anyone but Buddy. He does whatever is best for him & doesn't care about anybody else. He's hugely successful but he's not a friend of anyone or any program.

Todd4State
07-30-2016, 05:44 PM
Buddy Stephens isn't a fan or feeder to anyone but Buddy. He does whatever is best for him & doesn't care about anybody else. He's hugely successful but he's not a friend of anyone or any program.

Exactly. This is evident because we have two commits from there currently- Tyre Philips and then we have Drelan Porter who was placed there I suppose as well. He has sent guys like Bo Wallace and Chad Kelly to Ole Miss among others and then he has sent guys to Alabama like Jarran Reed and I think he had a couple of other Alabama guys that had some discipline issues as well. And then there is Franklin at Auburn.

I would imagine that you could definitely cast a wider net at the JUCO level not being a feeder school for someone. Not sure how that plays out in the long run- I know Co-Lin beat them once last year.

ShotgunDawg
07-30-2016, 05:47 PM
Why does it appear as though half of EMCC's team has Ole Miss hoodies and shorts?

Is this normal? All I've seen is one MSU t shirt and Ms Wagner's office has MSU stuff all over it. Are these guys driving to Oxford to shop?

Todd4State
07-30-2016, 05:48 PM
I thought we started sending our sign and place guys to Co-Lin because he tried to push Justin Cox to Bama

We had been sending guys to Co-Lin even before that if I'm not mistaken. Dan probably would like several schools to be feeders for us. I know we have a good relationship with Mississippi Gulf Coast CC as well and I don't think our relationship with EMCC is that terrible since Porter is there. Co-Lin is definitely the preferred feeder school for us though. No doubt the Cox incident strained things between us some and EMCC but if you are a JUCO and you really want to be a feeder school for someone you don't let that happen.

Todd4State
07-30-2016, 05:48 PM
Why does it appear as though half of EMCC's team has Ole Miss hoodies and shorts?

Is this normal? All I've seen is one MSU t shirt and Ms Wagner's office has MSU stuff all over it. Are these guys driving to Oxford to shop?

I have a feeling it's more like the shop is coming to them if you know what I mean.

PassInterference
07-30-2016, 06:22 PM
I take Buddy for a guy that just wants his program to be great. He wants his players to move on to D1. I doubt he burns bridges needed to get his guys to D1.

dickiedawg
07-30-2016, 06:23 PM
I'm only 3 episodes in but I haven't noticed a ton of Ole Miss stuff besides a couple of current Ole Miss players.

ShotgunDawg
07-30-2016, 06:24 PM
I'm only 3 episodes in but I haven't noticed a ton of Ole Miss stuff besides a couple of current Ole Miss players.

I saw a good bit in episode 4 or 5. Just seems odd

Gutter Cobreh
07-30-2016, 06:40 PM
The subtitles crack me up....

ShotgunDawg
07-30-2016, 08:39 PM
The subtitles crack me up....

GD 17ing Mofo GD you 17ing mofo *****

Ok, huddle around and let's say the Lord's Prayer.

Lol

Todd4State
07-30-2016, 08:52 PM
Have they shown the part of the season where the official threw something at him? That has to be some good TV.

Todd4State
07-30-2016, 08:53 PM

Lol

Hugh Freeze approves this message.

dickiedawg
07-30-2016, 09:12 PM
Yeah it was episode 3 I think. I couldn't figure out why Buddy wasn't ejected. Yes, the "game official" was in the wrong, but Buddy literally got in a shoving match with an official. That's an automatic ejection in my book.

Gutter Cobreh
07-30-2016, 09:23 PM

Lol

I'd also like for us to give Richie Williams season tickets....if that man can growl like a lion, he sure as hell can bark like a bulldog. That dude makes me smile every time they show him....

M.Fillmore
07-30-2016, 09:27 PM
Have they shown the part of the season where the official threw something at him? That has to be some good TV.

Episode 4: Coach Stevens and the alternate ref were suspended two games.

Belegal
07-30-2016, 10:58 PM
I would not want my son playing there - very ashamed of our showing to the state & nation! We have lots of great coaches that better reflect our real Christians values & don't try to say look at ME! Be humble and not be deceitful or two faced like some coaches that claim their Christian beliefs but cuss the student body & shot birds -etc- and say mistakes were made

ShotgunDawg
07-30-2016, 11:23 PM
I would not want my son playing there - very ashamed of our showing to the state & nation! We have lots of great coaches that better reflect our real Christians values & don't try to say look at ME! Be humble and not be deceitful or two faced like some coaches that claim their Christian beliefs but cuss the student body & shot birds -etc- and say mistakes were made

Lol. Welcome to reality bud.

I actually like it because it portrays reality. This is why football is better in the South. It's important not only for fans but as a avenue out of poverty for the players. It's raw, it's ugly, it blue collar, but it's real

Todd4State
07-30-2016, 11:46 PM

A coach like that only exists in Upward Flag Football. Most coaches are where they are because of their attitude and personality and often times that includes cussing and being arrogant.

I can't tell you how many times in Mississippi especially at the high school level where the fans have said about local head coach- "He's a great Christian guy" and then I see the guy yelling and cursing on the sideline like pretty much all coaches and then if/when said coach stops winning or isn't successful a couple of years later the SAME people say about the same guy "I never did like how he yelled at all of our players and did all of that cussing." And mind you I'm not talking about one coach or one town in particular. It's across the board small town Mississippi.

I never have understood why people in Mississippi are so worried about cussing and are so preoccupied about whether the local or MSU coach cusses or not. It's absurd and there is no correlation between cussing/not cussing and success on the field.

JohnnyQuid
07-31-2016, 01:25 AM
A coach like that only exists in Upward Flag Football. Most coaches are where they are because of their attitude and personality and often times that includes cussing and being arrogant.

I can't tell you how many times in Mississippi especially at the high school level where the fans have said about local head coach- "He's a great Christian guy" and then I see the guy yelling and cursing on the sideline like pretty much all coaches and then if/when said coach stops winning or isn't successful a couple of years later the SAME people say about the same guy "I never did like how he yelled at all of our players and did all of that cussing." And mind you I'm not talking about one coach or one town in particular. It's across the board small town Mississippi.

I never have understood why people in Mississippi are so worried about cussing and are so preoccupied about whether the local or MSU coach cusses or not. It's absurd and there is no correlation between cussing/not cussing and success on the field.

I think at a high school level a cuss word here and there is acceptable but going on a all out blue streak like the EMCC guy or directly cussing a player (calling him a mfer or sth) is crossing a line and at the least inappropriate and unprofessional. they're an employee of the school district working with 15-16 year old kids.

college and up I could care less - though this EMCC guy cusses about as bad as you'll ever see a coach. just looks trashy and low class.

somebodyshotmypaw
07-31-2016, 07:00 AM
I wouldn't want my son playing for Stephens. To be honest, if I had a son, I would want him to play for Hugh Freeze. Because the free utilities would be nice and my son would like the loaner car.

TheRef
07-31-2016, 01:14 PM
This is college football, boys and girls. If you can't handle it, then I guess high level coaching isn't meant for you. When the emotions are running high and you want these players going as hard as they can, and they don't, then emotions are going to pour out.

To all of you saying that he could and should have held back on what he said, I would be interested to see how y'all would react in situations like that. Because I guarantee that 90% of y'all would react close to the same way. I know I would, even though I would try to hold back. But emotions are hard to hold onto sometimes.

HereComesTheSpiral
07-31-2016, 02:25 PM
Craziest thing about the series is how it seemed that almost everyone thought they were going to be in the league in a year or two, as prefaced by the academic administrator continuously saying they have no plan B. I know it was probably more editing than reality, but damn half of the guys they showed came across as getting out of the bed and putting clothes on is a challenging task. The advisor was a lot more compassionate than I would be because I would just say the hell with it. You don't want to go to class, reality is about to give you a swift and hard kick in the nuts in a few months.

TheRef
07-31-2016, 02:28 PM
One thing that is kinda glossed over is how Ollie was talking to SELA and they asked him "What do we have to do to get a visit from you?" And Ollie replied with "Well there's more, but I'll tell you those when the cameras are gone." Did anyone else notice that, or was it just me?

HereComesTheSpiral
07-31-2016, 02:38 PM
One thing that is kinda glossed over is how Ollie was talking to SELA and they asked him "What do we have to do to get a visit from you?" And Ollie replied with "Well there's more, but I'll tell you those when the cameras are gone." Did anyone else notice that, or was it just me?

It was a different guy, but the recruiter shot that shit down quickly. Ollie was the one with only one offer from a small school in Missouri and thought he was too good to give them the time of day.

TheRef
07-31-2016, 02:53 PM
It was a different guy, but the recruiter shot that shit down quickly. Ollie was the one with only one offer from a small school in Missouri and thought he was too good to give them the time of day.

That's right. It was the one who ended up going with Ollie to Nicholls State, right?

gtowndawg
07-31-2016, 06:05 PM
I've watched a couple of episodes. Gut reaction....can't stand Buddy but I like the offensive coordinator.

I pray John Franklin starts for Auburn.

oildawg
07-31-2016, 06:14 PM
The offensive coordinator - Marcus Wood - is a good guy. Very evident throughout the series. He is from Starkville. When I went to MSU in the early 90's, I went to church with Marcus and his family. Great people. His mother was assigned as my "adoptive mother" - you know, invite you over for a home cooked meal periodically. Just great people. That was his nephew, Reiv Wood, that got punched before the MDCC game.

The series was a lot of fun to watch - I may watch it again. But, it is troublesome to see how little the players care about their education (generally speaking). They're hoping to make it in the NFL, but statistically very, very few of them will. But, they couldn't care less about their free education. And, I agree about how it's not good to see the coach speak like a sailor, and then lead the Lord's Prayer. Go one way or the other, but don't try to be both....

Todd4State
07-31-2016, 06:56 PM
I think at a high school level a cuss word here and there is acceptable but going on a all out blue streak like the EMCC guy or directly cussing a player (calling him a mfer or sth) is crossing a line and at the least inappropriate and unprofessional. they're an employee of the school district working with 15-16 year old kids.

college and up I could care less - though this EMCC guy cusses about as bad as you'll ever see a coach. just looks trashy and low class.

A cuss word is a cuss word in my book. I guess I watch too much George Carlin.

Todd4State
07-31-2016, 06:59 PM
Craziest thing about the series is how it seemed that almost everyone thought they were going to be in the league in a year or two, as prefaced by the academic administrator continuously saying they have no plan B. I know it was probably more editing than reality, but damn half of the guys they showed came across as getting out of the bed and putting clothes on is a challenging task. The advisor was a lot more compassionate than I would be because I would just say the hell with it. You don't want to go to class, reality is about to give you a swift and hard kick in the nuts in a few months.

And some people wonder why I don't want us going back to the Jackie Sherrill days of JUCO recruiting. It also makes Jackie's success in the late 90's with a JUCO heavy team even more remarkable. But also why it wasn't very sustainable.

M.Fillmore
07-31-2016, 07:39 PM
This is college football, boys and girls. If you can't handle it, then I guess high level coaching isn't meant for you. When the emotions are running high and you want these players going as hard as they can, and they don't, then emotions are going to pour out.

To all of you saying that he could and should have held back on what he said, I would be interested to see how y'all would react in situations like that. Because I guarantee that 90% of y'all would react close to the same way. I know I would, even though I would try to hold back. But emotions are hard to hold onto sometimes.

Not all coaches cuss like Buddy. And I like the guy. Glenn Davis (Co-Lin) and especially Karcher (East Central) aren't like Buddy. I can't remember hearing Davis cuss and I don't think I'll ever hear Karcher cuss. East Central was waaaay down when Karcher got there and he got them in the playoffs in two years. Glenn Davis is a fabulous coach.

Buddy is Buddy. You may not like him but he isn't a phoney. My point is that while the language is MUCH rougher in college than high school, dog-cussing the players doesn't happen everywhere.

PassInterference
07-31-2016, 07:59 PM
He looked about an inch from losing his team after that Delta game.

M.Fillmore
07-31-2016, 08:02 PM
We ought to hire that Wagner chick. She is passionate and driven for those kids' academics. Without a doubt she cares for the players. Being eye candy will not hurt the recruiting process either.

Gutter Cobreh
07-31-2016, 08:40 PM
He looked about an inch from losing his team after that Delta game.

I dare say the way he handled that situation will still, at some point, come back to haunt him. While it didn't effect recruiting this year, the show exposed him in that regard. He should have had the kids backs during that. Even they saw the hypocritical side since he'd been suspended for 2 games earlier in the year for "fighting". As a side, I also appreciate the Courtney Cravin reference when he was on the phone with the Clarion Liar....

I also liked him at the end saying the championship was "tainted" since they were disqualified. He convienantly left out to Co-Lin beat them and because of an ineligible had to forfeit games and thus be disqualified as well. I would have liked to see a rematch between those two teams.

Todd4State
07-31-2016, 09:25 PM
I dare say the way he handled that situation will still, at some point, come back to haunt him. While it didn't effect recruiting this year, the show exposed him in that regard. He should have had the kids backs during that. Even they saw the hypocritical side since he'd been suspended for 2 games earlier in the year for "fighting". As a side, I also appreciate the Courtney Cravin reference when he was on the phone with the Clarion Liar....

I also liked him at the end saying the championship was "tainted" since they were disqualified. He convienantly left out to Co-Lin beat them and because of an ineligible had to forfeit games and thus be disqualified as well. I would have liked to see a rematch between those two teams.

Having two JUCO football teams disqualified from winning the championship because of fighting and an ineligible player is so MS JUCO.

I think this documentary will help their recruiting though. Especially now that the old rules where you had to recruit guys in your own region are gone. I think a lot of football players are going to watch the documentary and think it would be cool to play there. Especially if you are a troubled player from another part of the country and aren't aware of them. Pretty brilliant on their part- and probably why he wants them to come back and do another documentary.

It worked for Miami for awhile at least.

BB30
08-01-2016, 08:50 AM
I do know at least for JUCO baseball, If your a good player and receiving some interest from D1 programs the coaches will generally work with you on where you would like to go. If the coaches feel you are talented enough to play at said school they will help you out. I would think this is the extent that the coaches will go for as far as pushing recruits to a certain school.

louisvilledawg
08-01-2016, 10:41 AM
We ought to hire that Wagner chick. She is passionate and driven for those kids' academics. Without a doubt she cares for the players. Being eye candy will not hurt the recruiting process either.

I don't think she's that attractive. I think she's the only female in the documentary so it gives the appearance of her being really hot.

I do think that she does a great job and is very compassionate. I would've told that Ollie guy to hit the road a long time ago. From the first episode when he was supposed to buy books and bought headphones instead, that would've been it.

MSUDawg99
08-01-2016, 10:58 AM

Don't confuse Courtney Cronin, the feminist liberal UNM "fan" formerly of the CL with Courtney Cravin who lived in same dorm with me when I was at State. She was a very nice, pretty girl. Cronin is none of that.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
08-01-2016, 10:03 PM
I doubt it..I thought she said she had been involved with helping players for 17 years...I doubt she started this when she was 12

cheewgumm
08-02-2016, 01:59 AM
Watching ....on episode 6 where the fight breaks out.

Stevens is to blame in some part for running up the score so much. His temper is unreal and makes him look like an idiot.

Plus Law had a good point they the coach got thrown out for fighting with a ref....haha

RC3
08-02-2016, 06:15 AM
Lol. Their qb coach

RC3
08-02-2016, 06:16 AM

Bass Chaser
08-02-2016, 07:07 AM
Law is the guy that signed with Utah and OM a couple years ago.

I put the DQ on Buddy. It's his lack of control. You can't dog cuss and fight with the refs. He'll be marked going forward and may be better off to be in the booth until he can control himself.

I don't have a problem with scoring a bunch of points but calling timeouts up 48-0. What's 7 more really going to prove?

RC3
08-02-2016, 07:37 AM
Those cant be real
Can they? Like a school wouldn't let you do that as an employee would they?