PDA

View Full Version : Best big 3 sports current Head Coaching combos....

DeviousDawg
07-26-2016, 01:22 PM
There are only 3 schools in the country that have a head football coach with a 10 win regular season, a head basketball coach with a final 4 appearance, and a head baseball coach with a national championship appearance....

1. The University of North Carolina- (Larry Fedora, Roy Williams and Mike Fox)

2. The University of Miami(Fl.)- (Mark Richt, Jim Larranaga, and Jim Morris)

3. Mississippi State University- (Dan Mullen, Ben Howland, and John Cohen)

2 of the 3 have been the center of recent Athletic Department academic and recruiting scandals, the other is just poor ole Mississippi State. Our Athletic Department sucks!!!!

gtowndawg
07-26-2016, 03:40 PM
Interesting. Thanks.

Todd4State
07-26-2016, 03:54 PM
Impressive! If Dan starts to at a minimum win the Egg Bowl consistently I'll be 100% happy with MSU sports.

Reason2succeed
07-26-2016, 04:36 PM
But our pessimistic fans need something to complain about.

Johnson85
07-26-2016, 04:49 PM
But our pessimistic fans need something to complain about.

If I valued winning across all of the three main sports equally, I really don't think there is any school I'd trade head coaches with.

Even recognizing that baseball is really not that popular and football drives the bus, I'm not sure who I'd trade with because basketball is still very popular and profitable and it'd be hard to find a school with a head football coach that would potentially be an upgrade over Dan and a basketball coach taht wouldn't be a significant drop off from Howland. I guess I'd be interested in looking at what kind of basketball coach Ohio State, Michigan, and Alabama have. Not really anybody else would be a clear upgrade, and if we hadn't had issues recruiting Oline, I don't think I'd even entertain an argument for anybody else.

Random thought, but Duke probably has to like their position. Not sure Cutcliffe would get dirty enough to recruit effectively in the SEC, but Cutcliffe and Coach K are pretty damn strong.

Dawgcentral
07-26-2016, 04:57 PM
Back in the late 90s we had the combination of Sherrill, Polk, and Williams. If I'm not mistaken we grabbed a final 4, an SEC West title, and a CWS birth in a,two year span,..could'a been 3 years, not sure. I recall being pretty satisfied with the the
leadership at the time. No reason we can't match that success in the near future. Getting to Atlanta seems to be the highest hill to climb.

DeviousDawg
07-26-2016, 05:10 PM
If I valued winning across all of the three main sports equally, I really don't think there is any school I'd trade head coaches with.

Even recognizing that baseball is really not that popular and football drives the bus, I'm not sure who I'd trade with because basketball is still very popular and profitable and it'd be hard to find a school with a head football coach that would potentially be an upgrade over Dan and a basketball coach taht wouldn't be a significant drop off from Howland. I guess I'd be interested in looking at what kind of basketball coach Ohio State, Michigan, and Alabama have. Not really anybody else would be a clear upgrade, and if we hadn't had issues recruiting Oline, I don't think I'd even entertain an argument for anybody else.

Random thought, but Duke probably has to like their position. Not sure Cutcliffe would get dirty enough to recruit effectively in the SEC, but Cutcliffe and Coach K are pretty damn strong.

Agree on Duke, especially when you consider that Cutcliffe and K will coach there until the die.

To add a few notes: Arizona, UCLA and Virginia were all very close to making the cut. Arizona's basketball coach lacked a final four, but has 3 elite 8 appearances. Virginia's basketball coach lacked a final 4, but had an elite 8 appearance. UCLA's football coach lacked a 10 win regular season, but has two 9 win regular season in which he won both of the bowl games. Florida and LSU were the only other SEC schools close, with both of their basketball head coaches lacking a final 4.

If we could keep our trio together for another decade, it would be a legendary run for MSU sports.