PDA

View Full Version : TOP RUNNING BACKS A MSU

Prentis
07-25-2016, 02:38 PM
Thinking about our current running back situation got me to thinking. Who are the top five backs to ever put on the maroon and white? In no particular order. James Johnson, Micheal Davis Anthony Dixon, Jerious Norwood, Keefer Mcgee. "I only named the ones that played in my lifetime." #I forgot Dontae Walker

blacklistedbully
07-25-2016, 02:43 PM
There have been a lot of very, very good ones. Michael Haddix comes to mind as someone deserving of mention. Should add Vic Ballard in there as well. Injuries have done him in, but he was off to a great start in Indy.

parabrave
07-25-2016, 02:44 PM
JJ I wish he was here longer than 2 years, Jerious, Dincenzo then Haddix

shoeless joe
07-25-2016, 02:55 PM
JJ will always be my favorite.

Think of what Norwood coulda done in an actual offense.

I will alway appreciate what Dixon did.

Ballard is under appreciated IMO.

Bothrops
07-25-2016, 03:09 PM
Michael Davis used to carry bodies out of the pile. He was the most powerful RB/FB I've ever seen.

Maroon Blood
07-25-2016, 03:11 PM
Walter Packer

Chip
07-25-2016, 03:44 PM
JJ was a beast. Michael Haddix was a pretty tough customer, too.

Bubb Rubb
07-25-2016, 03:49 PM
A lot of good ones - but Haddix is probably the best of the bunch - he just doesn't get the recognition. Packer is an all-time great. Bouie was good too. Dontae Walker probably had the most potential of the bunch but wasted it. Boobie Dixon and Jerius Norwood were special. Dicenzo Miller and JJ were my personal favorites.

AROB44
07-25-2016, 04:29 PM
Walter Packer

Without a doubt one of the top RB's in our history. Has to be in the top 5.

Johnson85
07-25-2016, 04:36 PM
Since I've become a fan, which basically was JJ's first year, I'd rank it as follows:

#1 JJ (I think he's probably been the best overall that I've seen)

#2-4 (in some order) Norwood (largely wasted talent but still able to show out some)
Boobie
Vic Ballard

#5-6 Justin Griffith (also wasted talent, which I guess explains why he's so rarely mentioned)
Dicenzo

#7 Josh Robinson (josh was probably a better runner than Vic and Griffith, and had good hands, but was inferior at everything else involving the RB position; not sure about how he would compare to Dicenzo)

archdog
07-25-2016, 04:38 PM
A lot of good ones - but Haddix is probably the best of the bunch - he just doesn't get the recognition. Packer is an all-time great. Bouie was good too. Dontae Walker probably had the most potential of the bunch but wasted it. Boobie Dixon and Jerius Norwood were special. Dicenzo Miller and JJ were my personal favorites.

Who was the recruit that the Swan had a fight in the front yard over?

archdog
07-25-2016, 04:38 PM
Robert Elliot... good bulldog but not so much all time material.

Barking 13
07-25-2016, 04:42 PM
All of them... each has their own set of skills... but I did like seeing several of them toting bodies with them... haven't seen that in a while.

Pinto
07-25-2016, 05:13 PM
Id like to have another Bouie and Davis type backfield.

Bubb Rubb
07-25-2016, 05:16 PM
Since I've become a fan, which basically was JJ's first year, I'd rank it as follows:

#1 JJ (I think he's probably been the best overall that I've seen)

#2-4 (in some order) Norwood (largely wasted talent but still able to show out some)
Boobie
Vic Ballard

#5-6 Justin Griffith (also wasted talent, which I guess explains why he's so rarely mentioned)
Dicenzo

#7 Josh Robinson (josh was probably a better runner than Vic and Griffith, and had good hands, but was inferior at everything else involving the RB position; not sure about how he would compare to Dicenzo)

Justin Griffith had the longest NFL career of the bunch, but I wouldn't call him wasted talent. As crazy as this sounds, he was probably the third best RB on the roster at that time. He played a lot of FB for us. That gives you an idea of the type of running back talent we had in those years.

Bothrops
07-25-2016, 05:29 PM

Davis was a physical freak. They don't come along too often.

the59dawg
07-25-2016, 05:30 PM

Packer was especially tough out of the veer. Hard to take down.
We need a top 10 rather than top 5. Hard to separate.

the59dawg
07-25-2016, 05:33 PM

I remember the year that Bouie and Davis dismantled OM on a wet field in Oxford. Neither could be stopped that day.

gravedigger
07-25-2016, 06:26 PM
Talent/productuon given their situation:

Norwood
Dixon/JJ
Packer/Magee
Dicenzo/Ballard/Davis/Haddix
Bowling ball/ Bouie

Dawgcentral
07-25-2016, 06:37 PM
Davis ran like a truck. Seemed like he always hit the line hard with both arms covering the ball.i think he became a highway patrolman and even pulled JWS over once for speeding.

BHildreth3
07-25-2016, 06:43 PM
I still would have loved to have seen #44 David Fair play more. He was a hoss who blew his knee out in his first game (correct me if I am wrong on the # of games)

He was 6-3 plus and 230 with speed to burn

fader2103
07-25-2016, 06:52 PM
Justin Griffith was my fav RB of all time with JJ a close 2nd.

lamont
07-25-2016, 07:02 PM
JJ Johnson
Walter Packer
Micheal Davis
Vick Ballard
Michael Haddix

Honorable Mention:

Anthony Dixon
Jerious Norwood
Justin Griffith
Dontae Walker
Dicenzo Miller

Dawgcentral
07-25-2016, 07:56 PM
I still would have loved to have seen #44 David Fair play more. He was a hoss who blew his knee out in his first game (correct me if I am wrong on the # of games)

He was 6-3 plus and 230 with speed to burn

David Fair was rumored to be the next Herchel Walker at the time. Might have been an exaggeration, but he had it all.

Bothrops
07-25-2016, 08:04 PM
David Fair was rumored to be the next Herchel Walker at the time. Might have been an exaggeration, but he had it all.

An early injury prevented this potential Heisman candidate for us.

NCDawg
07-25-2016, 08:14 PM

I'll always remember sitting in Tiger stadium watching Packer come around end and outrunning LSU's secondary for the TD.

Barking 13
07-25-2016, 08:47 PM

What I'm talking about

Barking 13
07-25-2016, 08:50 PM
and then there are the golden memories of 3rd and 11 and Hank Phillips #29 over the top for a yard. repeatedly....

tcdog70
07-25-2016, 09:15 PM
Wayne Jones and Shorty Mc Williams right at the Top. I think Shorty got Heisman votes. But Ole Hoyle Granger rushed for a 1000 yards with The Houston Oilers.

msbulldog
07-26-2016, 06:09 AM
Wayne Jones and Shorty Mc Williams right at the Top. I think Shorty got Heisman votes. But Ole Hoyle Granger rushed for a 1000 yards with The Houston Oilers.

I remember being at the MSU vs. Mississippi game in Jackson, Wayne Jones's senior year. A massive brawl broke loose, with both sidelines rushing to the field for the fight. Wayne Jones was the only player dumb enough to rush into the fight without his helmet on, and he paid!

dawgoneyall
07-26-2016, 06:46 AM
Thinking about our current running back situation got me to thinking. Who are the top five backs to ever put on the maroon and white? In no particular order. James Johnson, Micheal Davis Anthony Dixon, Jerious Norwood, Keefer Mcgee. "I only named the ones that played in my lifetime." #I forgot Dontae Walker

David Fair. Most talented back ever. Shame the dead Indian tripped him on the sideline.

Political Hack
07-26-2016, 09:42 AM
Norwood single handedly beat Florida in a game of tackle the man with the football. That was possibly the best game of any RB ever. There are other huge games too though. Boobie had some (UK, Houston come to mind). Nick Turner vs UT.

louisvilledawg
07-26-2016, 10:57 AM
What about the guy in croom era that got arrested for counterfeiting money? Nick somebody

That dude had all world talent