PDA

View Full Version : So, were aTm and the Horns really in play back in the 1992 SEC expansion?

DancingRabbit
07-25-2016, 10:35 AM
Sept. 5, 1992: Although Arkansas and South Carolina officially became the 11th and 12th SEC members in 1991, they didn't join in football until the following year. On opening day in 1992, Arkansas lost to The Citadel and South Carolina fell to Georgia. The two new members were chosen over Florida State, Miami, Texas and Texas A&M.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/2016/07/24/sec-football-timeline-history-most-important-moments/85923152/

That was pre-interwebs but I don't recall the Texas teams as being serious candidates. I thought UNC and Virginia were more in the mix, along with FSU.

Bullsy
07-25-2016, 11:36 AM
I remember Sherill almost guaranteeing that Texas and Florida State would end up in the SEC back in the 90's

HSVDawg
07-25-2016, 12:01 PM
http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/college/2016/07/24/sec-football-timeline-history-most-important-moments/85923152/

That was pre-interwebs but I don't recall the Texas teams as being serious candidates. I thought UNC and Virginia were more in the mix, along with FSU.

If we really chose Arkansas and South Carolina both over ANY of the 4 teams on that list, then Roy Kramer is dumber than a bag of hammers.

1bigdawg
07-25-2016, 12:06 PM
I believe that Florida convinced the conference that we did not need another Florida team. Then the two Texas teams decided against us. Also remember that Arkansas was considered a powerhouse at the time and USCe had had several consecutive seasons of sellouts despite not being great. Also, they fit our footprint.

Remember the rationale for expanding was that Kramer noticed a never used NCAA rule that conferences with 12 or more teams could have a playoff. He recognized the money and attention that could bring the conference. The rest of the expansion madness started there.

TUSK
07-25-2016, 12:16 PM
If I remember correctly, FSU/Bowden were extended an offer to join the SEC...

They accepted with the condition they wouldn't have to play Bammer and Auburn every year....

The SEC said:

"No."

32 Dive
07-25-2016, 04:43 PM
Didn't Ann Richards, have something to do with 4 of the Texas schools staying together, and going to the Big XII? It was more of a play to keep Baylor from being left in the rear view mirror. One of you brighter mids can give the details...

Reason2succeed
07-25-2016, 05:00 PM
Is new Big 12 is going to be weaker than the old Big 12? I think so.

Texas A&M, Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri > West Virginia, TCU, Houston, Brigham Young

TUSK
07-25-2016, 08:29 PM
Is new Big 12 is going to be weaker than the old Big 12? I think so.

Texas A&M, Colorado, Nebraska, Missouri > West Virginia, TCU, Houston, Brigham Young

By far. Those cats are on life support.

AusTexDawg
07-26-2016, 10:02 AM
Didn't Ann Richards, have something to do with 4 of the Texas schools staying together, and going to the Big XII? It was more of a play to keep Baylor from being left in the rear view mirror. One of you brighter mids can give the details...

Yes. Both Ann Richards and Bob Bullock were Baylor alums. Richards supported Baylor's entrance into the Big XII, but Bullock probably did more behind the scenes. In Texas, the Lt. Governor has more real power than the governor, and was Bullock more skilled at pulling the levers of government than most. According to his biography:

"Talks centered on Texas and Texas A&M joining the Big 8, leaving TCU, Houston, Rice, Baylor, Texas Tech and SMU to fend for themselves in a much weakened Southwest Conference.
The athletic directors overlooked a few critical factors. Bob Bullock (law degree) and Gov. Richards were Baylor grads. Bullock and Sen. John Montford, chairman of the Senate Finance Committee, were Texas Tech grads, as was House Speaker Laney and House Appropriations Committee Chairman Rob Junell." Bullock told university officials, "You're taking Tech and Baylor or you're not taking anything. I'll cut your money off and you can join privately if you want, but you won't get another nickel of state money."

Here is the link: Read more: Texas politicians, led by Bob Bullock, helped shape Big 12 conference - MRT.com: Opinion http://www.mrt.com/news/opinion/article_59179937-7bbf-5054-8287-427234498274.html#ixzz4FWjt95dr
Under Creative Commons License: Attribution