PDA

View Full Version : Lamar Peters--Our best freshman?

ZedFedder
07-23-2016, 07:03 PM
The early name that's standing out in Starkville among Mississippi State's top-five recruiting class: Lamar Peters. Southpaw PG has "IT".

This is a tweet from Jon Rothstein. Not that it comes as a surprise to us, but it feels good to have confirmed what we knew. That this kid was way underrated (along with Eli Wright) and is about to be a monster for us.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-23-2016, 07:07 PM
We're going to open the season with 3 freshmen in the starting lineup. Herard, Kegler, & Peters or Wright.

msstate7
07-23-2016, 07:12 PM
We're going to open the season with 3 freshmen in the starting lineup. Herard, Kegler, & Peters or Wright.

Which one of those do you think will be the best scoring threat?

Ifyouonlyknew
07-23-2016, 07:15 PM
Which one of those do you think will be the best scoring threat?

Kegler

msstate7
07-23-2016, 07:17 PM
Kegler

As a 4?

Bothrops
07-23-2016, 07:18 PM
What happened to Abdu Ado?

Ifyouonlyknew
07-23-2016, 07:21 PM
As a 4?

Yes

Ifyouonlyknew
07-23-2016, 07:22 PM
What happened to Abdu Ado?

Expected to be cleared for August.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-23-2016, 07:23 PM
Kegler & Peters both came over to Big Dawg last night during the time in the Palmero.

messageboardsuperhero
07-23-2016, 07:53 PM
Herard has dropped 30 pounds since getting here and is now down to 260.

Anybody know what our coaches think his ideal playing weight is?

drummerdawg
07-23-2016, 07:59 PM
Peters will be one of the best players on the team next year. I'm sure he'll make some freshman mistakes, but he's got crazy good skills.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-23-2016, 07:59 PM
Herard has dropped 30 pounds since getting here and is now down to 260.

Anybody know what our coaches think his ideal playing weight is?

250-255lbs

TheRef
07-23-2016, 08:01 PM
Peters will be one of the best players on the team next year. I'm sure he'll make some freshman mistakes, but he's got crazy good skills.

Just think if we are able to keep Q then bring in his brother.

drummerdawg
07-23-2016, 08:05 PM
Just think if we are able to keep Q then bring in his brother.

I'm not holding my breath with Q staying another year but if he does come back we'll win a LOT of games.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-23-2016, 08:14 PM
I think he will. He's a really good college player but doesn't really have a NBA skillet. At least not yet.

BigEasyDawg
07-23-2016, 09:54 PM
I have never been more excited for a MSU basketball season to start than this one. Amazing talent on this team, great coach. Now if they can just mesh together and grow as the season goes. They are looking like they are having fun together though.

JohnnyQuid
07-23-2016, 11:38 PM
I have never been more excited for a MSU basketball season to start than this one. Amazing talent on this team, great coach. Now if they can just mesh together and grow as the season goes. They are looking like they are having fun together though.

I think that's an intangible that matters alot in basketball. we lost games last year cos of ego trips and jealousy. get a group of guys that gel on and off the court fixes alot of that bullshit and just what I've seen on twitter they seem to do alot stuff as a group.

looking forward to basketball season feels good.

BigEasyDawg
07-24-2016, 12:18 AM
I think that's an intangible that matters alot in basketball. we lost games last year cos of ego trips and jealousy. get a group of guys that gel on and off the court fixes alot of that bullshit and just what I've seen on twitter they seem to do alot stuff as a group.

looking forward to basketball season feels good.

Defiantly agree. It's one thing to have great talent on the roster but in order to have success you need guys who love playing with one another and celebrate each other's success just as much as their own. That's what we have been Maliking... Ugh I mean missing.

messageboardsuperhero
07-24-2016, 08:38 AM

Holman won't be starting? I had envisioned:

1- Ready
2- Spoon
3- Wright
4- Kegler
5- Holman

The thing I like about our personnel this year and going forward is the flexibility we have. We could go big with Herard, Holman, and Kegler all on the floor together- or we could go small with Holman, Kegler, and Wright.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-24-2016, 09:45 AM

1- Ready
2- Spoon
3- Wright
4- Kegler
5- Holman

The thing I like about our personnel this year and going forward is the flexibility we have. We could go big with Herard, Holman, and Kegler all on the floor together- or we could go small with Holman, Kegler, and Wright.

Holman isn't a center. He played his best ball last year when he was able to play the 4 alongside Gavin.

Raytoraid83
07-24-2016, 09:47 AM

1- Ready
2- Spoon
3- Wright
4- Kegler
5- Holman

Holman's natural position is the 4. Itll be spoon at the 3 too. It's going to be a lot of fun to see the combinations of five Howland puts together. This roster has a lot of flexibility especially with an all purpose player like Q.

MarketingBully
07-24-2016, 04:17 PM
He could definitely be the best freshman we have however I think he will tie with Kegler as the best freshman we have. I would love for Peters to push Ready and start a few game into the season. That would be a great sign as Peters is going to be another great PG that Howland can say he had a hand in developing. I like the way this team fits together and likes each other. The other item that Howland said earlier in the summer regarding this freshman class about working hard, wanting to get better, and wanting to be coached I see as a huge positive. As I have said for quite sometime now, I think this team will surprise a lot of people.

MarketingBully
07-24-2016, 04:19 PM
Holman's natural position is the 4. Itll be spoon at the 3 too. It's going to be a lot of fun to see the combinations of five Howland puts together. This roster has a lot of flexibility especially with an all purpose player like Q.

We could go 6'10, 6'10, 6'8" on the frontline if we wanted to. When was the last time we could say that? Stans last year?

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
07-24-2016, 07:34 PM
Getting excited reading this thread, especially the points on flexibility & Howland's sets of 5. Could go w/ 2 pg sets or 2 C sets on top of the traditional looks. Hopefully Stapleton's return will add another dimension of versatility before SEC play. Could put Q at point & play 4 SF types at once if Peters or Ready can't go (Q, Wright, Stapleton, Kegler). Really hope Howland plays the matchups this year, & have all the faith in the world he will do so. Exciting for us fans to think ab all the lineups we could have when the past 4 years we've just been happy to dress out enough for a starting lineup.

I think Ado is the X factor. If he can get here & get far enough along where he can be a quality sub to keep Herard out of foul trouble we will be a much better team. Gonna need to get something out of him and/or Datcher to bang with the bigger SEC teams like UGA & UK.

Can't wait to be back in The Hump. Last year we, the fans, showed some signs of life; but did not meet my expectations. I hope this is the year everyone sees the product we are building, buys back in, and makes The Hump everything it used to be and more. To the points on chemistry & meshing, I definitely think this is a team the fans can get behind & rally around. Amazing the most talented roster we've had in over a decade may also have the most well-adjusted locker room since Stans' kids graduated kindergarten.

BigEasyDawg
07-24-2016, 09:27 PM
One of the keys to basketball is match ups and we finally have a roster that howland can tweak and toy with and at any point we can have a mismatch with any position on the court. We never had that with stans, we just played defense and tried to out shoot them. This is shaping into a complete basketball team that competes night in and night out.