PDA

View Full Version : How awesome would it be...

preachermatt83
07-23-2016, 05:47 PM
If Willie Gay and Dan Mullen was pulling an epic troll job on OM?!

ShotgunDawg
07-23-2016, 06:24 PM
1. I hoped the same thing last year with Brown and the same with Chris Jones, but I've come to realize that either our staff isn't clever enough to do that (check out Mullen's history of trick plays to calculate his cleverness) or our staff just kind of keeps to themselves and doesn't rock the boat.

2. No matter how much it would benefit us, Im not a fan of putting a kid in that position. When I saw the picture of Willie Gay last night, the one Rosebowl tweeted, I couldn't believe how young he looked. We make these recruits out to be logical decision makers that weigh all their options, but in reality they are kids. It just struck me last night after the Willie Gay drama earlier in the day. These are kids and I wouldn't put them in that situation.

Here's a link to the picture for the lazy asses from the other thread:

https://mobile.twitter.com/ScoutSteveR/status/756645724159352832

shannondawg
07-23-2016, 06:41 PM
My nmu buddy still wants to bet me $200 that he won't be a dog. I don't bet on anything. Only have a standing $100 on the egg bowl, that I'm wishing I could get out of without having to listen to chatter 24/7. Losing just hurts so bad,and the winning doesn't nearly make up for the losing.

ShotgunDawg
07-23-2016, 06:48 PM
My nmu buddy still wants to bet me $200 that he won't be a dog. I don't bet on anything. Only have a standing $100 on the egg bowl, that I'm wishing I could get out of without having to listen to chatter 24/7. Losing just hurts so bad,and the winning doesn't nearly make up for the losing.

I think Gay ends up a dog for two reasons.

1. Kobe Jones and local pressure

2. Ole Miss' sanctions. We don't even know what Ole Miss' scholarship situation, coaching situation, and post season play situation will be by signing day.

Combining both factors together, I just have a good feel about Gay. That being said its always like Ole Miss fans know when the network has done work.

Harrydawg
07-23-2016, 07:04 PM
1. I hoped the same thing last year with Brown and the same with Chris Jones, but I've come to realize that either our staff isn't clever enough to do that (check out Mullen's history of trick plays to calculate his cleverness) or our staff just kind of keeps to themselves and doesn't rock the boat.

2. No matter how much it would benefit us, Im not a fan of putting a kid in that position. When I saw the picture of Willie Gay last night, the one Rosebowl tweeted, I couldn't believe how young he looked. We make these recruits out to be logical decision makers that weigh all their options, but in reality they are kids. It just struck me last night after the Willie Gay drama earlier in the day. These are kids and I wouldn't put them in that situation.

Damn, I thought we got Chris Jones.......

Commercecomet24
07-23-2016, 07:08 PM

And Leo.

mic
07-23-2016, 07:12 PM

2. Ole Miss' sanctions. We don't even know what Ole Miss' scholarship situation, coaching situation, and post season play situation will be by signing day.

Combining both factors together, I just have a good feel about Gay. That being said its always like Ole Miss fans know when the network has done work.

He is back with momma when school starts....

Todd4State
07-23-2016, 07:12 PM

Dan's ideal recruiting philosophy is always going to be: Player shows up. We rely on our family atmosphere and MSU to sell itself and then let player and his family know that they are going to have to work hard. Player commits and doesn't take any more visits. He's never going to be into all of the flipping, hat parties, etc. He's OK if a recruit does it- but he's not going to tell a kid to do it.

That's the number one thing that people forget about recruiting when they follow it. You're dealing with high school kids and some of them love the attention. Most- if any- of them have ever had this kind of attention in their lives and I'm sure it overwhelms them at times. You have coaches calling you, fans kissing your butt trying to get you to come to their school, and I'm sure it gets crazy. All of that can cloud their judgement because sometimes after all the attention they think they are so good that they can make it anywhere and fit into any system. Like a slot WR in Houston Nutt's system. Ole Miss did everything they could possibly do to get Singleton and Brassell because they came from high profile schools and had four stars by their names. But when they get to campus I think part of the reason they flamed out was neither of them fit Nutt's system. They had to make Singleton into an outside WR and Brassell into a CB when had they come to MSU we put them in the slot where their skills could have been displayed better. You could say the same about CJ Johnson as well- they had to play him out of position for whatever reason at DE and then he never really developed into a MLB which is his best position. Now he barely got a camp look from the Patriots who just cut him.

Todd4State
07-23-2016, 07:14 PM

He's just saying that Dan didn't plan for his recruitment to work out like that.

Harrydawg
07-23-2016, 07:18 PM
He's just saying that Dan didn't plan for his recruitment to work out like that.

Exactly, UM had a young lady who almost (literally) suck the blood out of him thru his d---......who the hell plans for that shit?

TaleofTwoDogs
07-23-2016, 07:37 PM
That's the number one thing that people forget about recruiting when they follow it. You're dealing with high school kids and some of them love the attention. Most- if any- of them have ever had this kind of attention in their lives and I'm sure it overwhelms them at times.

I hear you, but I think you and Shotgun may be pushing the "kid" thing a little too far. Any HS athlete that has D1 (Power 5) potential has been showered with attention probably since the 10th grade or earlier. The stud athlete is usually the BMOC and is not a stranger to attention. Sure, some of them will react as you say but many of them see it just as an extension to the attention they already have. Of course, not all 17-18 yr olds crave attention and are mature beyond their years. I'm just saying that everyone is different and you can't assume that all recruits are wide-eyed deer trapped by the headlights.

Bass Chaser
07-23-2016, 07:37 PM
I've got $200 to put up that he'll be a dog.

Todd4State
07-23-2016, 09:48 PM
I hear you, but I think you and Shotgun may be pushing the "kid" thing a little too far. Any HS athlete that has D1 (Power 5) potential has been showered with attention probably since the 10th grade or earlier. The stud athlete is usually the BMOC and is not a stranger to attention. Sure, some of them will react as you say but many of them see it just as an extension to the attention they already have. Of course, not all 17-18 yr olds crave attention and are mature beyond their years. I'm just saying that everyone is different and you can't assume that all recruits are wide-eyed deer trapped by the headlights.

I don't think they all necessarily crave attention- but every year there are definitely some that enjoy it more than others. And for the ones that do enjoy it more than others it's important for us as adults to understand that their behavior is most likely attention seeking and a game to the player or the player is overwhelmed with the attention and is trying to please everyone that they talk to and to not freak out about it.

Heck- I've even seen the parents get into as well. Landon Collin's Mom is exhibit A.

Reason2succeed
07-23-2016, 10:08 PM
Mullen is a great evaluator. I think part of it is letting things play out as the kid and his parents wish.

There are not many players if any that we lost in a flip that I would really want in hindsight. Pat Patterson may be the only one I would have taken.

Conversely we haven't gotten many that have not worked out. Elliot and Milton are the only two I can think of.

Think about how long ago those were.

Now think about how many guys OM flipped that ended up not being worth a flip?

BossDawg
07-23-2016, 10:53 PM
I think Dan just doesn't like playing recruiting games, period. Could be because he knows it could come back to bite him, but whatever it is I believe Coach Mullen simply wants to be straight up with everybody.

JohnnyQuid
07-23-2016, 11:50 PM

if he ended up at state I hope it's because it's where he wants to be. not because OM gets popped with sanctions and we're then a more attractive choice

I seen it dawg
07-23-2016, 11:50 PM
Good thing it's signing day...oh wait...

MSUDawg99
07-24-2016, 05:59 PM
I think Dan just doesn't like playing recruiting games, period. Could be because he knows it could come back to bite him, but whatever it is I believe Coach Mullen simply wants to be straight up with everybody.

And because there's only room for one major ego in Dan's system & that's Dan's. He doesn't like being punk'd by kids.

That said, my bet is that Gay won't be a Dawg.