PDA

View Full Version : Golf Cart on Gameday

weblow
07-23-2016, 03:10 PM
Maybe some on here will have the answer. We are not paying someone to put up our tailgate this year and I was curious if anyone else brought a golf cart to campus on gameday?

Was thinking about tailgating somewhere that I could easily drive a golf cart to on campus that wouldn't have the street shut down. Any suggestions where a good spot might be? I know there is golf cart parking by the stadium but if I remember right last year, so many roads are shut down before kickoff that it is almost impossible to get to the golf cart parking.

Anyone that is using a golf cart and setting up the day of the game that knows of a good spot, please suggest it.

Just really looking for tips from someone that is already doing what we are planning on doing.

BulldogDX55
07-23-2016, 03:43 PM
Maybe some on here will have the answer. We are not paying someone to put up our tailgate this year and I was curious if anyone else brought a golf cart to campus on gameday?

Was thinking about tailgating somewhere that I could easily drive a golf cart to on campus that wouldn't have the street shut down. Any suggestions where a good spot might be? I know there is golf cart parking by the stadium but if I remember right last year, so many roads are shut down before kickoff that it is almost impossible to get to the golf cart parking.

Anyone that is using a golf cart and setting up the day of the game that knows of a good spot, please suggest it.

Just really looking for tips from someone that is already doing what we are planning on doing.

If you have an RV, you want lot 38, I think, near Dudy Noble. Anywhere near the coliseum will do. You'll even be able to go wherever you want whole traffic is leaving campus. I'm telling you this as someone who used to be a manager with Event Operations Group.

TheRef
07-23-2016, 04:02 PM
If you have an RV, you want lot 38, I think, near Dudy Noble. Anywhere near the coliseum will do. You'll even be able to go wherever you want whole traffic is leaving campus. I'm telling you this as someone who used to be a manager with Event Operations Group.

Can agree with what he said. South RV is your best bet. As far as carts go, there's a perimeter that you won't be able to get into after a certain point.

30dawg
07-23-2016, 04:04 PM
I'm in the same boat. Decided to not tailgate this year due to little or no help. I want to ride my golf cart to the stadium and have always noticed golf cart parking next to the ramps. How do you get there once they close the roads? Can anyone shed some light on this? Maybe you can't..

weblow
07-23-2016, 05:36 PM
I don't have an RV but will have a golf cart. Was hoping to use it to cart the junk we need for our tailgate and then load it back up when it is time to break down. I guess a better way of asking would be where is the perimeter that gets shut down. I would just rather set up outside of that perimeter.

Dawgbite
07-23-2016, 05:59 PM
South of the stadium or north? I've done both but currently on the south end. The cart parking near the ramps is on blocked streets but the guards will usually let a golf cart pass. I've only been denied entry once and just went to another street to access the closed street. I quit parking at the stadium because post game there are so many pedestrians it was dangerous and you couldn't drive out. It was quicker to walk out a bit and then drive tha cart. Stone Blvd is off limits to golf carts but most of the others will let you pass through.

Bass Chaser
07-23-2016, 07:48 PM
How strict are they on the cart being street legal?

TheRef
07-23-2016, 07:59 PM
How strict are they on the cart being street legal?

MSU PD will hound you for it and they will write you a ticket for it, from seeing it firsthand.

Duckdog
07-23-2016, 08:11 PM
How about a gokart? I just bought my boys one and that thing flat hauls ass even with my fatass in it.

Harrydawg
07-23-2016, 08:18 PM
I have had a street legal cart for 2 years......On game day, I would say that 80% of all carts I see are not street legal. I have never seen (on game day) MSU PD saying anything to anyone about having a non street legal cart. I am sure that MSU PD have stopped non legal carts but I have seen hundreds of regular carts buzz around without incident. Many people in our condo complex have non street legals they use on campus without incident.

Now, Starkville PD is a different issue. They do and will stop a non street legal cart in a second, which they should. But from my experience, I have never seen MSU PD say anything, hell the event staff and athletic dept use non legal carts. How cold MSU PD stop you or I and have them buzzing around.

Golf cart on footbal game day is definitely the ticket. There is only one street I have not been able to access with my cart on game day and that's the main drag between the home side stadium and book store. Other than that, I can go anywhere......and park

Belegal
07-23-2016, 08:23 PM
I ask msu staff about being street legal - ones I ask didn't know what I was talking about - I checked a couple of msu staff carts & they were not street legal or even close- Starkville pd in town does strictly enforce it & told you need a tag - I'm told tag runs over $100 - I've never had an issue on campus or been checked

TheRef
07-23-2016, 08:39 PM
My bad. Confused Starkville and MSU PD.

Harrydawg
07-23-2016, 08:46 PM
On campus you are golden, street legal or not. It's been rumored for years that campus is going to clamp down on regular golf carts (nothing they can do about street legal unless they want to ban all cars).

However, they have an issue with their own carts non being legal.....clamping down is going to be tricky. I have also been well educated about LSV (low speed vehicles) which is what the ladies at the tag offices in MS are trained to look for in the VIN (manufacturers certificate).....unit must be a LSV from the manufacturer. All those jacked up carts with a windshield and lights are not street legal and cannot get a tag (or shouldn't be able to).

Dawgbite
07-24-2016, 08:08 AM
I have a street legal cart but have never registered it. You can make a regular golf cart street legal, you need to add the following, headlights, blinkers, brake lights ,seat belts, windshield, and wipers. I think that is all, you then have to have it inspected at a Highway Patrol station and certified. You then take the certification to your county court house to get tag and registration. The cart would then be legal only on streets with a posted speed limit of 35 or less. This could have changed since I checked into it a few years ago. It was going to be pretty expensive so I sold my old cart and bought one already equipped. I have the option to register it if they start cracking down but until then I'll just keep on. I'm beginning to see a lot of Rangers ,Rhinos, and other UTVs on game day. They are going to ruin the golf cart access for the rest of us so enjoy it while you can.

weblow
07-24-2016, 12:03 PM
South is where we have been looking to find a spot that we can access with the golf cart before, during, and after the game.

South of the stadium or north? I've done both but currently on the south end. The cart parking near the ramps is on blocked streets but the guards will usually let a golf cart pass. I've only been denied entry once and just went to another street to access the closed street. I quit parking at the stadium because post game there are so many pedestrians it was dangerous and you couldn't drive out. It was quicker to walk out a bit and then drive tha cart. Stone Blvd is off limits to golf carts but most of the others will let you pass through.

Harrydawg
07-24-2016, 06:32 PM
I have a street legal cart but have never registered it. You can make a regular golf cart street legal, you need to add the following, headlights, blinkers, brake lights ,seat belts, windshield, and wipers. I think that is all, you then have to have it inspected at a Highway Patrol station and certified. You then take the certification to your county court house to get tag and registration. The cart would then be legal only on streets with a posted speed limit of 35 or less. This could have changed since I checked into it a few years ago. It was going to be pretty expensive so I sold my old cart and bought one already equipped. I have the option to register it if they start cracking down but until then I'll just keep on. I'm beginning to see a lot of Rangers ,Rhinos, and other UTVs on game day. They are going to ruin the golf cart access for the rest of us so enjoy it while you can.

The days of having the MHP certify vehicles as road legal are over per the DMV. This practice ended several years ago and now the tag offices are issuing new tags based on VIN numbers and or titles.......I had a buddy buy a brand Club Car decked out with lights, seat belts, horn, windshield, wipers etc......and he could not get a tag. Had to return it and get a 2Five from EZGO....LSV

Dawgbite
07-24-2016, 09:08 PM
South is where we have been looking to find a spot that we can access with the golf cart before, during, and after the game.

Between Blackjack and the barricade at Bully Blvd. you can turn left and go by sorority row and take the next right but it's pretty crowded because a lot of that area is used by Southern Traditions. If you take a right at the barricade and go by the new cafeteria, you might find some areas along that road. I just never go that way so I'm not sure how much open space there is for a tailgate. I would get there on Friday before the first game and just do a little scouting.
Harrydawg, that's good to know for future reference. I wonder if the VIN on mine would allow it to be registered as I don't have a bill of sale. I may check next time I have to purchase a tag for something, it might be worthwhile to go ahead and at least get a title.

Belegal
07-24-2016, 09:20 PM
Question- can you make one street legal after the fact -adding seat belts, mirrors, etc & if so who certifies it?

Harrydawg
07-24-2016, 09:59 PM
Question- can you make one street legal after the fact -adding seat belts, mirrors, etc & if so who certifies it?
.......the answer to your question is no as I understand it. It is no longer possible to make a cart "street legal". It must be a low speed vehicle from the manufacturer..I studied this information in the past 24 months. That research led me to the DMV which is the final authority on tags in MS.......

The days of having the MHP certify vehicles as road legal are over per the DMV. This practice ended several years ago and now the tag offices are issuing new tags based on VIN numbers and or titles.......I had a buddy buy a brand Club Car decked out with lights, seat belts, horn, windshield, wipers etc......and he could not get a tag. Had to return it and get a 2Five from EZGO....LSV