Really Clark?
07-22-2016, 10:14 PM
EMCC OL commits tonight.

Dawgology
07-22-2016, 10:17 PM
Hail state!

ShotgunDawg
07-22-2016, 10:59 PM
Just an observation and I was curious if this is a sign of new philosophy?

Phillips - 6'6" 350
Champion - 6'5" 320
Cooper - 6'7" 355
Suggs - 6'6" 282

Are we starting to recruit bigger OL?

msstate7
07-22-2016, 11:03 PM
Just an observation and I was curious if this is a sign of new philosophy?

Phillips - 6'6" 350
Champion - 6'5" 320
Cooper - 6'7" 355
Suggs - 6'6" 282

Are we starting to recruit bigger OL?

Reese last year.

We may be about to ditch the zone blocking

ShotgunDawg
07-22-2016, 11:08 PM
Reese last year.

We may be about to ditch the zone blocking

Reese - 6'5" 340
Greg Eiland - 6'7" 320

Are we about to run Arkansas' offense?

BTW, I'm completely fine with this. I think it's how you beat Alabama and LSU, like Jackie did

ShotgunDawg
07-22-2016, 11:10 PM
I don't have time to go back and look at how large our OL commits have been in previous years, but it just seems like we are recruiting larger humans now. Not sure if it's accurate or not

smootness
07-22-2016, 11:20 PM
It's not really accurate. We may have bigger guys across the board in these last couple classes, but we've been bringing in big guys for a while. Justin Malone, Cole Carter, Damien Robinson, Justin Senior, Jake Thomas, etc...all in the 6'5"-6'8", 300-330 range.

Todd4State
07-23-2016, 12:35 AM
Reese - 6'5" 340
Greg Eiland - 6'7" 320

Are we about to run Arkansas' offense?

BTW, I'm completely fine with this. I think it's how you beat Alabama and LSU, like Jackie did

The biggest two things that I agree with on Jackie Sherrill offensively is a good two back running system and a massive o-line. I like o-linemen that are big and athletic like Arkansas. I'm not sure what that means with regards to zone blocking though. I would be really surprised if Dan went all out to an Arkansas type of offense.

Reason2succeed
07-23-2016, 06:46 AM
Mullen has always valued size on the OL. He would rather have the leftover big guys than the leftover talented guys after other schools have taken the top prospects.

I understand the philosophy. You can't teach size.

msbulldog
07-23-2016, 06:55 AM
To go like Arkansas you have to have backs like Arkansas which we don't, maybe Kylin Hill.
But I am glad we're starting to have some success getting OL.

FISHDAWG
07-23-2016, 08:58 AM
To go like Arkansas you have to have backs like Arkansas which we don't, maybe Kylin Hill.
But I am glad we're starting to have some success getting OL.

looks like maybe we are heading towards a Relf 2.0 offense ... worked before let's do it again - Welome aboard Tyre

Bully13
07-23-2016, 09:18 AM
Anybody got any more information on this guy? Why did he go juco when he was fully qualified out of h.s.? What other schools were recruiting him?

lamont
07-23-2016, 10:00 AM
Malzahn does more power blocking than zone blocking and his teams are always close to the top in rushing. Even after having a down year this past season

Ifyouonlyknew
07-23-2016, 10:24 AM
Anybody got any more information on this guy? Why did he go juco when he was fully qualified out of h.s.? What other schools were recruiting him?

This is only his 3rd year of football. Only played his SR year of HS. He's definitely toned up & lost some weight since last year. He's a guard & a guy that I could see RS next year to get more accustomed to SEC ball especially with 2 more Juco OL expected in this class.

TrapGame
07-23-2016, 10:56 AM
I went to HS with his mom and she's a FB friend. Really great family.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
07-23-2016, 10:59 AM
Assuming Calhoun takes over at LG & Darryl Williams locks down the other G spot next year when Desper leaves- if Phillips redshirts he will have the chance to battle for a starting spot his Senior year when Calhoun graduates. Will be his 6th year of FB & 3rd year in the program. Will be battling Story as a RS SR, Reese & Parker as RS JRs, unless one slides to T. IDK if he ever starts but great to have solid competition up front.

My biggest question for the future of the OL is who replaces Clayborne at C in 2017. Gainer will be a true FR & Moon is the only one I know backing up Clayborne. Will he be ready to take over as a RS SO or will we see Williams or somebody slide over? OL & running game could be a strength in '17 if a couple of interior guys step up

Ifyouonlyknew
07-23-2016, 11:07 AM
Assuming Calhoun takes over at LG & Darryl Williams locks down the other G spot next year when Desper leaves- if Phillips redshirts he will have the chance to battle for a starting spot his Senior year when Calhoun graduates. Will be his 6th year of FB & 3rd year in the program. Will be battling Story as a RS SR, Reese & Parker as RS JRs, unless one slides to T. IDK if he ever starts but great to have solid competition up front.

My biggest question for the future of the OL is who replaces Clayborne at C in 2017. Gainer will be a true FR & Moon is the only one I know backing up Clayborne. Will he be ready to take over as a RS SO or will we see Williams or somebody slide over? OL & running game could be a strength in '17 if a couple of interior guys step up

I think Calhoun moves to center after Clayborn leaves unless Moon is ready. You will have Williams, Story, Phillips, & Champion all capable of playing guard.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
07-23-2016, 11:36 AM
I think Calhoun moves to center after Clayborn leaves unless Moon is ready. You will have Williams, Story, Phillips, & Champion all capable of playing guard.

Nice, I feel pretty good about that. I think Williams will be a good starter at RG & I hope to see Story or Champion step up and grab that Gabe Jackson spot. I can't see Phillips being ready by then. You think Champion will stay inside? I have him & Jenkins pegged as starting tackles in 2018 unless Eiland or Suggs is ready.

Todd4State
07-23-2016, 11:43 AM

Personally I think it will be Moon unless we get a JUCO center.

PSYCHO(thesis)DEFENSE
07-23-2016, 11:46 AM

If Moon can step up & start & let Calhoun stay at G I think that gives us our best 5. I saw Nick James push him back a few times in spring but he looked fine other than that.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-23-2016, 12:01 PM
Nice, I feel pretty good about that. I think Williams will be a good starter at RG & I hope to see Story or Champion step up and grab that Gabe Jackson spot. I can't see Phillips being ready by then. You think Champion will stay inside? I have him & Jenkins pegged as starting tackles in 2018 unless Eiland or Suggs is ready.

Could also have a Sr in D'Marcus Hayes at OT.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-23-2016, 12:01 PM

We're not looking for a juco center so it will be Calhoun or Moon.