PDA

View Full Version : LOIC Questions

DawgPoundtheRock
07-22-2016, 04:18 PM
In an earlier thread, I asked what are the ramifications of Lack of Institutional Control (Lack, not Loss). In my brief research on the subject I, learned that a school must have policies and procedures in place that act as guidelines for the ethical conduct of all persons associated with that schools athletic programs, including athletic administration within NCAA guidelines and for following NCAA rules. The existence of such policies will probably protect a school from from a LOIC. However, there is another term that is used by the NCAA, "failure to monitor". This basically means that the school did not enforce its policies or ignored them all together. Schools are hit with "ftm" at a much higher rate than they are with LOIC.

My questions are, what are the penalties and/or sanctions that are associated with either a LOIC or a "ftm"? Is this solely at the discretion of the COI? Can they use some arbitrary multiplier to increase penalties? Do either the LOIC or "ftm" have to be specified in an NOA?

The jokes about UNM's policies and procedures may now commence, but if any of y'all know anything about this, I would like to know. Thanks

ShotgunDawg
07-22-2016, 04:43 PM
I don't think anyone has an answer for that, but I do believe that "FTM" could be the term that the NCAA uses when they don't specifically have proof of a violation that they know happened.

So, in Ole Miss' case: the NCAA can punish them fairly according to each violation, and, if they don't feel like that's enough, they could drop the "FTM" and hand down any further sanctions they see fit. With 8 level 1 violations, I don't see why the NCAA would need justification for handing down any less than a 40 scholarship reduction and I doubt they'd ever consider going above that. But, for teams that the NCAA knows is cheating but only has proof of 1 level 1 violation, the "FTM" could come in handy in handing down what they feel is fair sanctions.

Dawgowar
07-22-2016, 04:48 PM
The existence of such policies will probably protect a school from from a LOIC. However, there is another term that is used by the NCAA, "failure to monitor". This basically means that the school did not enforce its policies or ignored them all together. Schools are hit with "ftm" at a much higher rate than they are with LOIC.

My questions are, what are the penalties and/or sanctions that are associated with either a LOIC or a "ftm"? Is this solely at the discretion of the COI? Can they use some arbitrary multiplier to increase penalties? Do either the LOIC or "ftm" have to be specified in an NOA?

Simple. Google "NCAA COI WEBSITE" You can download their matrix. Look at the level that LOIC applies and it will give you a range by infraction. Now ask yourself, did these coaches not know they could not be in the presence of a booster and a recruit - per those internal procedures and their signatures on their recruiting certification, "YES". FTM then logically changes to total institutional disregard of their internal AND NCAA rules. That becomes "aggravated". Look at the matrix again.

Gulp - they have 8 of those.