PDA

View Full Version : Quarterbacks

SouthMSDog
07-22-2016, 08:29 AM
The more i read about the situation, the more clear it seems to me that, Tiano needs to be the guy if Fitz can't get the leadership part down. Watching that Spring Game (i know you cant take much away from it) he just seemed to have that same "it" that Dak had. Imagine if we had let Dak play for more than two and half seasons... I feel that players can only make so many strides in practice and the film room, at some point you have to start applying it and getting used to game speeds, and the sooner we get Tiano on the field the faster he will get over the learning curve, IMO. It would be hugely beneficial for his development if he could see film of himself against something besides our own defense.

Staley has the most gifts, but just doesn't seem to care. Fitz has the tools, but everything you read about him seems Dylan Favresque as far as attitude/intangibles, and Williams is extremely limited physically. But Mullen will probably start Williams since he is older.

Y'all's thoughts?

BrunswickDawg
07-22-2016, 08:45 AM
The more i read about the situation, the more clear it seems to me that, Tiano needs to be the guy if Fitz can't get the leadership part down. Watching that Spring Game (i know you cant take much away from it) he just seemed to have that same "it" that Dak had. Imagine if we had let Dak play for more than two and half seasons... I feel that players can only make so many strides in practice and the film room, at some point you have to start applying it and getting used to game speeds, and the sooner we get Tiano on the field the faster he will get over the learning curve, IMO. It would be hugely beneficial for his development if he could see film of himself against something besides our own defense.

Staley has the most gifts, but just doesn't seem to care. Fitz has the tools, but everything you read about him seems Dylan Favresque as far as attitude/intangibles, and Williams is extremely limited physically. But Mullen will probably start Williams since he is older.

Y'all's thoughts?

Where are you seeing anything about Fitz being Farvesque?? If that was true, there is no way he would have seen time as our primary back up. Having followed him since HS (since he played in the local region here), everything I have seen talked about what a great leader he is and how he was a first on/last off type kid. The only negative thing I have read about him was a thread on here a month or two ago where someone stated that "he wasn't liked as much" as some of the other Qb's/Dak.

Personally, I think all 4 are quality guys who could win the job. Each has pluses and minuses, but I trust Dan and Brian to pick the best one for the program.

Reason2succeed
07-22-2016, 08:46 AM
Or he could go out there and throw a few picks and not only would his confidence be broken but the confidence of the team and fans would be too.

Never underestimate how fickle we are as fans. We all assume Damian Williams sucks because of two years ago. Yes, he had a bad practice in the spring but he clearly looked better by the spring game. Fans? We don't care. He sucked before so he will always suck.

The moral to this story is that we don't want to make the same mistake Sumlin made at aTm. He gets these young hotshots and throws them out there and the fall flat on their face. Then they are ruined.

That's why I think Damian Williams will get the first shot at the job. Fitz will be right there if Williams flops.

lamont
07-22-2016, 08:51 AM
Fitz is the odds on guy most likely
Who said Staley doesn't care? That's utterly ridiculous
Almost no chance Tiano starts. His knowledge of the playbook is still limited and if he were to start against USA, we would have 2 QB's transfer out immediately.

I don't think the QB battle is settled until October

TimberBeast
07-22-2016, 09:12 AM
Where are you seeing anything about Fitz being Farvesque??

That's what I'm wondering. This is the first time I've heard of anything like that.

Big4Dawg
07-22-2016, 09:13 AM
We really need to stop the Staley 'doesn't care & not a leader' talk based off him dancing on the sidelines.

sandwolf
07-22-2016, 09:18 AM
We really need to stop the Staley 'doesn't care & not a leader' talk based off him dancing on the sidelines.

Haha, this is easily one of the most ridiculous narratives out there. Anyone who thinks this is too stupid to argue with.

cbrunt29
07-22-2016, 09:21 AM
Fitz is cocky. I want that in a qb.

BrunswickDawg
07-22-2016, 09:26 AM
MSU induced PTSD strikes again. We are so used to having shitty QB's, even worse back ups, and "QB's of the Future" who don't pan out, that we have to start tearing 1 down to pump up another one.

If there is 1 truth about Dan Mullen we should trust and believe in it is that we will have quality, leadership guys at QB who are better than any pre-2008 QB we ever had not named John Bond.

Chip
07-22-2016, 09:27 AM
Right now, I consider everything as pure speculation. There really isn't enough sample size of real snaps with any of them for me to make a reasonable thought about how any of the four have developed or might perform. The only thing I can say right now is that Mullen has historically been able to develop a quarterback into performing better than adequate in his offense.

BrunswickDawg
07-22-2016, 09:29 AM
Fitz is cocky. I want that in a qb.
I've never known a successful QB who wasn't - at least on the field/in the locker room.

thf24
07-22-2016, 09:30 AM
The only thing I can say right now is that Mullen has historically been able to develop a quarterback into performing better than adequate in his offense.

Mullen took Relf and made him a functional SEC QB in barely over a year. That is why I'm not worried our QB situation now, nor will I ever as long as he's here.

TimberBeast
07-22-2016, 09:31 AM
If there is 1 truth about Dan Mullen we should trust and believe in it is that we will have quality, leadership guys at QB who are better than any pre-2008 QB we ever had not named John Bond.

This is the truth. The other thing we know is that Dan will offset that with his RB.

spiral
07-22-2016, 10:06 AM
It's a unique situation for MSU to have 4 QB's at one time apparently all capable of being an SEC QB. We definitely have not seen enough to make an opinion. Even Dan has not made a decision (so he says) and he's seen them for hours and hours in practice, meetings, and film rooms. Dan's QB development/use is probably the main asset he brings and really can't be argued by anyone.

Of course he did say this past week: "I don’t think all four of them will be there at this time next year just because of the uniqueness of the position...". Competition is great I just hope there is no dissension based on player friendships and loyalties.

Dan keeps harping on consistency. That makes me believe whoever knows the playbook the most and makes the least amount of mistakes will get the job. That is understandable but fans want a big time play maker. Consistency is great if we have a running back making plays and/or a wide receiver too. I just fear we are going to have to have the QB makes some big plays but do you take all the mistakes that are likely to go along with it?

oildawg
07-22-2016, 10:43 AM
I tend to agree with the original poster. While I subscribe to the "In Dan we trust" with our QB's, message boards are meant for speculation! If a redshirt freshman is neck-to-neck with 3 older QB's, has the "it" factor, and has as much upside as anyone, why not go with him? The reality is out of Fitz, Staley, Tiano - 2 of them will likely transfer before the 2017 season.

AusTexDawg
07-22-2016, 11:15 AM

Agreed. Staley's sideline demeanor isn't that different from Vince Young's when he was in college. VY's antics actually helped those Longhorn teams stay loose and you can't argue with the results on the scoreboard.

sleepy dawg
07-22-2016, 11:24 AM
Dan Mullen is one of the best QB coaches in coaches in college football. There are some aspects of the game where he can't be trusted, but QB is not one of them. Whatever Dan decides to do with the QB, I will support, as I know he has a good reason for doing it.

TrapGame
07-22-2016, 11:31 AM
I wouldn't be surprised to see the 1a/1b QB system for the first three games between Fitz and/or Williams/Staley. Whoever gets in the groove and makes the plays will be the starting QB game four through the rest of the season.

TimberBeast
07-22-2016, 12:04 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to see the 1a/1b QB system for the first three games between Fitz and/or Williams/Staley. Whoever gets in the groove and makes the plays will be the starting QB game four through the rest of the season.

And likely wouldn't be ready because of limited playing time in the first 3 games. I hope we don't go this route. Dan should know who the starter is before game 1 (fitz), and that's who we should go with.

dickiedawg
07-22-2016, 12:37 PM
This post has my troll meter on edge.

MStateDawg
07-22-2016, 12:39 PM
Mullen will probably start Williams since he is older.
Williams has been at State 1 semester longer than Fitz (early enrollee). I doubt Mullen will give Williams the job based soley on a few months seniority. If Williams wins the job, it will be because Dan thinks he gives us the best chance to win.

BigEasyDawg
07-22-2016, 01:54 PM
Haven't thought about fitz only being a semester behind Williams. If Williams truly has matured and developed that would be incredible, but I just don't see the ceiling there for his talent. I think Tiano will transfer if he doesn't start but Fitz will win it out.

mic
07-22-2016, 02:34 PM
Haven't thought about fitz only being a semester behind Williams. If Williams truly has matured and developed that would be incredible, but I just don't see the ceiling there for his talent. I think Tiano will transfer if he doesn't start but Fitz will win it out.

Now when K Thompson gets to campus in Jan , I would not be shocked if one of the 3 underclassmen QB's we have on the roster now aren't here come next fall...

Dawgcentral
07-22-2016, 05:10 PM
I'm not concerned. Dan has developed QBs all over the country.

There was some discussion on the radio a couple of days ago where one participant either called in and texted that the next MSU QB might be better than Dak. Radio guys acted like that was a crazy statement.

Not taking anything away from Dak, guy worked hard and had tremendous leadership skills with talent. But it's not crazy to say we could have an even better QB coming up in the ranks. Maybe not likely, but it's not out of the question when you consider Dak wasn't that highly ranked coming out of HS, and had 3 years as a back up in the system.

Needless to say, but give us an offensive line and Dan will find and develop another Tebow.

Political Hack
07-22-2016, 05:18 PM
Mullen took Relf and made him a functional SEC QB in barely over a year. That is why I'm not worried our QB situation now, nor will I ever as long as he's here.

This guy gets it. We're looking great at QB and have 4 legitimate guys on campus. This is the deepest I can ever remember us being.

I think Fitz has the edge but Staley has so much natural ability you have to find him reps. Mullen has been successful with loaded a QB room before and I suspect he'll do the same this year too.

Maroonthirteen
07-22-2016, 07:06 PM
MSU induced PTSD strikes again. We are so used to having shitty QB's, even worse back ups, and "QB's of the Future" who don't pan out, that we have to start tearing 1 down to pump up another one.

^^^^^This.

Hole e sheet ! Fitz has accomplished something Bond, Don Smith, Underwood, Shell...etc. etc.....never did. He has been replaced for the backups before even starting a game.

Gezz people. He will be the starter. Support him.

Goldendawg
07-22-2016, 08:16 PM
Just put the best players on the field, regardless of whether a 5th year Senior or even a true Freshman and I will be happy(ier!).

RiverCityDawg
07-23-2016, 01:12 PM
I think Tiano will transfer if he doesn't start but Fitz will win it out.

You think a rFR will transfer because he doesn't start over a rJr and two rSo's?

I could see Staley and Williams leaving after this year if Fitz wins the job and does really well, but can't see Tiano leaving anytime soon unless Keytaon comes in and passes him immediately.