PDA

View Full Version : Question about what Gator's defense did....

lastmajordog
07-21-2016, 03:08 PM
I would really hate for UNM to do what I think they will but I have NO faith in Fla St or Georgia and Preacher seems make Bama turn into Keystone cops. Of course if they did have a good run they would get the Big Head AS ALWAYS and fall to some lesser teams. My question is WHAT did Florida's defense do that stymied that D@^^ 3 step offense of UNM? They were of course flat against Memphis but Florida apparently dominated. What can the Dogs do with lesser talent to stop the 3 step UNM offense and will the new scheme help??

Mjoelner34
07-21-2016, 03:11 PM
What can the Dogs do with lesser talent to stop the 3 step UNM offense and with they need scheme will that help??

One thing would be to drop the bend but don't break shit against a spread team.

lastmajordog
07-21-2016, 03:25 PM
One thing would be to drop the bend but don't break shit against a spread team.

I probably don't need to get on my MSU's history going all the way back to Emory Ballard loses in big games because or BEND BREAK LOSE/ Prevent defense soapbox......man oh man that is a given.......... grrrrrrrrrrr. I think it would be better just to get out of the way and let them score so we could get the ball back.....I'll shut up now.....What else guys?? What did Florida do??

MSUDawg99
07-21-2016, 03:48 PM
They shut Chad Kelly down. UNM offense couldn't do anything against them. It just seemed like one of those games where FL couldn't miss & UNM couldn't catch a break...kinda like Bama/UNM with the fluke plays.

lastmajordog
07-21-2016, 03:56 PM
I'm no Coach but it seems it starts with penetration pressure from the def ends to make the QB step up and either throw or run quick. Then the inside LB would slide into the lane to block any quick slant passes or be ready for the QB to turn up and run. I think I remember Alabama doing that the last year they beat UNM.

Beaver
07-21-2016, 04:03 PM
Several things..

1. Florida's secondary was one of the best in the country -- forced Kelly to wait longer than he wanted or throw the check down. He was afraid to throw the ball downfield.
2. Florida's D-line dominated. They got pressure all game only bringing 4. Some of the pressure was a result of great coverage though.
3. They tackled very well. Didn't let anybody get loose on the WR screens and Rb checkdowns. Also made every tackle in the backfield instead of letting people escape.
4. Florida started fast -- Scored on 1st possession forced an early turnover and scored again. Made OM feel very uncomfortable from the start -- allows D to take more risks and play downhill.

Tbonewannabe
07-21-2016, 04:36 PM
Several things..

1. Florida's secondary was one of the best in the country -- forced Kelly to wait longer than he wanted or throw the check down. He was afraid to throw the ball downfield.
2. Florida's D-line dominated. They got pressure all game only bringing 4. Some of the pressure was a result of great coverage though.
3. They tackled very well. Didn't let anybody get loose on the WR screens and Rb checkdowns. Also made every tackle in the backfield instead of letting people escape.
4. Florida started fast -- Scored on 1st possession forced an early turnover and scored again. Made OM feel very uncomfortable from the start -- allows D to take more risks and play downhill.

Pretty much what we did in 2013.

msbulldog
07-21-2016, 06:12 PM
Pretty much what we did in 2013.

Same Defensive Coordinator Geoff Collins!

Dawgfan77
07-21-2016, 06:20 PM
Other than QB why does everyone think OM is more talented than us. I for one think we are just as talented rankings be damned

Maroons
07-21-2016, 06:46 PM
Major NFL talent on that Gator D.

mic
07-21-2016, 06:52 PM
I would really hate for UNM to do what I think they will but I have NO faith in Fla St or Georgia and Preacher seems make Bama turn into Keystone cops. Of course if they did have a good run they would get the Big Head AS ALWAYS and fall to some lesser teams. My question is WHAT did Florida's defense do that stymied that D@^^ 3 step offense of UNM? They were of course flat against Memphis but Florida apparently dominated. What can the Dogs do with lesser talent to stop the 3 step UNM offense and will the new scheme help??

FSU -6
Lock And Load it....

ShotgunDawg
07-21-2016, 07:00 PM
Other than QB why does everyone think OM is more talented than us. I for one think we are just as talented rankings be damned

They have better WR as well. We have the more talented defense. Running backs are close to equal from what I know and they have more talent on the OL with less experience while we have less talent with more experience.

Irondawg
07-21-2016, 07:14 PM
Kelly started running a lot more later in the year and it really opened the offense up. He converted a ton of 3rd downs with his feet late in the season