PDA

View Full Version : Been re-watching the 2014 football season...

MoreCowbell
07-21-2016, 09:44 AM
Looking back and re-living the 2014 season in preparation for this year. Man we had some damn talent on that team, even the backups. We looked bigger faster and stronger than everyone and matched up well with Bama. We peaked too early IMO. No one in country was beating us first half of the season. Pisses me off when I hear people say it was a fluke or that we didn't beat anybody bc we were ******* loaded with talent and damn good. It's a shame we didn't come away with at least a western division title. Had we had that team in an even numbered year we might not have lost a game. Let's do that again Dan.

BigEasyDawg
07-21-2016, 05:11 PM
It's almost surreal thinking back on that season and how far we have come as a program. The great thing is I don't see us going to back to being a 3-4 win team. We have always had good talent but I can't remember a time where we had such good depth as we do now. That 14 team was big, fast, and laid the wood down. We still go those players and some that are 2 or 3rd string that would start on some other SEC schools (and not just Vandy). If only all this applied to our Oline

Taog Redloh
07-21-2016, 05:18 PM
While I enjoyed being the first #1 team in the history of the CFP, sometimes I wish we had gotten stuck at #2 behind Florida State. Maybe we would have kept our edge. There is no doubt we quit playing like a team on a mission after we beat Auburn. Kentucky and on was just a sluggish effort. Even the Vanderbilt blowout was fairly workmanlike.

Teams like MSU need something to play for, some edge, and usually do best as an underdog. I could see them playing each week for 'proof' that we should be #1 over FSU or something. As it was, we got fat and happy midseason, which happens to most teams who don't usually live in the spotlight.

MoreCowbell
07-21-2016, 07:01 PM
It's almost surreal thinking back on that season and how far we have come as a program. The great thing is I don't see us going to back to being a 3-4 win team. We have always had good talent but I can't remember a time where we had such good depth as we do now. That 14 team was big, fast, and laid the wood down. We still go those players and some that are 2 or 3rd string that would start on some other SEC schools (and not just Vandy). If only all this applied to our Oline

Yea I think if we can keep up what we have been doing- winning consistently and getting good players and developing them, the stars will align every 3/4 years to make a run. Hopefully we find a reliable starter at QB and some OLmen step up and gel and this year could be a dress rehearsal for next year. I think 17' is setting up to be a big year. If Fitz isn't getting it done this year I hope we give Tiano some time to play and mature. He's our future IMO, kid is gonna be good. He's got it not only physically but between the ears too.

MoreCowbell
07-21-2016, 07:04 PM
While I enjoyed being the first #1 team in the history of the CFP, sometimes I wish we had gotten stuck at #2 behind Florida State. Maybe we would have kept our edge. There is no doubt we quit playing like a team on a mission after we beat Auburn. Kentucky and on was just a sluggish effort. Even the Vanderbilt blowout was fairly workmanlike.

Teams like MSU need something to play for, some edge, and usually do best as an underdog. I could see them playing each week for 'proof' that we should be #1 over FSU or something. As it was, we got fat and happy midseason, which happens to most teams who don't usually live in the spotlight.

I agree. Night and day between Pre #1 and being #1. You could tell starting in the UK game we weren't the same team.