PDA

View Full Version : Boring Saturday thread: Top MSU QBs of the modern era.......

Goat Holder
08-24-2013, 12:14 PM
Let's say the Jackie Era on, instead of 1992, so we can leave Sleepy on there, who's obviously the #1. Your choices:

Sleepy Robinson
Todd Jordan
Greg Plump
Derrick Taite
Matt Wyatt
Wayne Madkin
Kevin Fant
Omarr Conner
Michael Henig
Wes Carroll
Tyson Lee
Chris Relf
Tyler Russell

I'm talking total package. Production, wins, talent, everything.

The reason I do this.....Tyson Lee really was an under-rated QB for us. He made 2 bad plays in his career....sliding at La. Tech right before halftime and not getting the first down, and Dead Indians Debacle.

I think it's Sleepy, Madkin, Relf, Lee, Russell. Taite not far behind. Russell has a chance to be #1 after this year.

FlabLoser
08-24-2013, 12:19 PM
Give me Omar Conner in Mullen's offense. I think. Hard to say - I don't remember how his passing was and how much of that can be blamed on Croom.

ShotgunDawg
08-24-2013, 12:24 PM
Give me Omar Conner in Mullen's offense. I think. Hard to say - I don't remember how his passing was and how much of that can be blamed on Croom.

I agree. Is Omar Conner in Mullen's offense an acceptable answer? That may have been the single biggest waste of talent to ever come through this program. Conner should have been all SEC in the right scheme

starkvegasdawg
08-24-2013, 12:27 PM
No Favre***

MetEdDawg
08-24-2013, 12:34 PM
He shouldn't have even played QB that year, but Henig went down game 1 against SC and Rutland went down and we had nothing left but Conner. Add to that the fact he was injured diving in the endzone at UAB in overtime to win that ballgame, which we should have lost, and he really never had a chance to succeed that year. He could barely stand in the Egg Bowl and we still managed to have a chance to win that game. Plus we had Prosser, Jamayel Smith, Aubrey Bell, Tony Burks, Lance Long, and Brandon McRae at WR. Definitely not the best to have ever walked through MSU.

Conner could have done well under Mullen, but I still think our offense will always work best with a true passing threat at QB that can really throw the ball around, not just an athlete. That's why Relf managed to do so well during the 9-4 year. He had the speed and size to beat you, but he was an accurate enough passer that year where defenses couldn't key on the run.

I've only been an MSU fan since 2006 when I started going to MSU, but I would say during my time, our offense was clicking best and was most fun to watch when Relf was on his game and we were running a well balanced attack. Now Russell is probably the best, but Relf did some really great things under Mullen and surpassed every MSU fan's expectations.

Political Hack
08-24-2013, 12:35 PM
Matt Wyatt running the read option.*****

1) Tyler
2) Fant

I don't care what offense we're running, I want a gun slinger in the pocket. A QB who can make every pass opens up the entire field.

I don't usually knock players but given the debates I'll share my thoughts on Dak... he can't make all the throws accurately which allows defenses to stack the box... which pretty much negates the benefits of having a QB who can run.

TaleofTwoDogs
08-24-2013, 12:43 PM
Madkin for wins, Russell for arm, Fant for guts

Coach34
08-24-2013, 12:43 PM
Sleepy running the Spread Option
Conner running the Spread Option
Fant
Russell
Madkin running the Spread Option

Coach34
08-24-2013, 12:47 PM
I don't usually knock players but given the debates I'll share my thoughts on Dak... he can't make all the throws accurately which allows defenses to stack the box... which pretty much negates the benefits of having a QB who can run.

Dakota has already shown himself to be a better passer than Relf- and Relf threw for almost 2,000 yards in 2010...I dont worry about Dakota making enough throws to keep the safeties honest after watching Relf for 2 years almost be able to do it

Political Hack
08-24-2013, 12:50 PM
I never really considered Madkin a good runner. He was probably the most clutch QB we've ever had though.

Mr. Clutch - Madkin
Pocket QB - Russell
Mr. Comeback - Wyatt
Cannon - Fant
Toughness - Henig
Athleticism - Conner
Heart - Lee
Lay it on the line - Sleepy
Truck a LB - Relf

DownwardDawg
08-24-2013, 01:23 PM
M

I disagree. If Relf could just complete 1 or 2 passes, it opened the running game up tremendously. He didn't have to look like Tyler back there. Dak is a better passer than Relf so I think he will keep the defense honest on every play.

bgdog
08-24-2013, 01:33 PM
Truck a LB - Relf

An LB? Sure. A tiny DB? **** no.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Fc3KgRPsqo

Goat Holder
08-24-2013, 02:43 PM
Vomit

Goat Holder
08-24-2013, 02:47 PM
Conner could have done well under Mullen, but I still think our offense will always work best with a true passing threat at QB that can really throw the ball around, not just an athlete.

Conner could throw the ball amazingly well on the run. Everything Croom did with him played to his weaknesses. He had him gain weight, work on nothing but straight drop-backs, etc. It was awful. Conner may be the biggest wasted talent in MSU history. The fact that Henig saw the field at all was mind-boggling.

Croom had TWO good offensive gameplans his entire time at MSU. 2004 Florida and 2007 at Kentucky, both ended in wins.