PDA

View Full Version : I just saw where Tulane got a commitment from a Starkville HS o-lineman

Todd4State
07-20-2016, 09:33 PM
Cole Claybrook I think was his name. 6'7" 250 and I'm a little surprised that we didn't even give him a cursory look. Yes, he is light for a D-I prospect right now but that's about what Addison Lawrence weighed when we recruited him from Magnolia Heights and I'm pretty sure our S&C people could get someone with a frame like that up to 300 in a couple of years.

I will admit that I don't know a lot about him but again surprised we didn't even seem to look at him.

HSVDawg
07-20-2016, 09:44 PM
Cole Claybrook I think was his name. 6'7" 250 and I'm a little surprised that we didn't even give him a cursory look. Yes, he is light for a D-I prospect right now but that's about what Addison Lawrence weighed when we recruited him from Magnolia Heights and I'm pretty sure our S&C people could get someone with a frame like that up to 300 in a couple of years.

I will admit that I don't know a lot about him but again surprised we didn't even seem to look at him.

I'm sure we could get him late in the process if we miss on some big targets (and given Hevesy's track record, I'm sure that we will). But, there is no need for him to be tying up a scholarship if we have several others higher on the board that are still interested. And I say all that having no clue what his other offers were.

Todd4State
07-20-2016, 09:58 PM
I see your point HSV. But I guess I'm more of a bird in the hand is better than two in the bush person when it comes to recruiting. It seems like slow playing guys in general put them off. I know Alabama takes commitments as they come and then they adjust later. Yes, that means pulling scholarships from guys but it never seems like they have to pull more than a couple a year. For goodness sakes- they took Matt Womack who probably won't play them until year five at the earliest.

It seems like we chase these guys from Georgia and have very little success reeling them in and we end up losing guys in Mississippi and then we end up getting burned.

And granted it's only Weds. but I look at the Big Dawg Camp list and the only high school o-linemen that we have coming in from high school confirmed are Gainer (committed and like), Suggs (really like), Jalen Bell (wants to be a Bulldog badly and has good size), Lavonte Epson (Ole Miss commit) and Josh Cooper from Haughton, La. To be fair I should include Nik Hogan as well but he's a rising junior and won't be in this class. At the very least I would give this kid an invite.

Goldendawg
07-20-2016, 10:05 PM
Todd4State, could you list the guys coming to BDC? Would appreciate. Thanks.

msstate7
07-20-2016, 10:09 PM
Isn't Willie fritz an option HC? If so, probably a good fit claybrook. Pretty sure option teams like lighter olinemen

Todd4State
07-20-2016, 10:11 PM
Todd4State, could you list the guys coming to BDC? Would appreciate. Thanks.

I'm getting it from Paul Jones's web site on 247 sports.

It's basically everyone that we have commitments from and Co-Lin's football team plus Willie Gay and Lavonte Epson.

msstate7
07-20-2016, 10:12 PM
I'm getting it from Paul Jones's web site on 247 sports.

It's basically everyone that we have commitments from and Co-Lin's football team plus Willie Gay and Lavonte Epson.

No Avery?

Todd4State
07-20-2016, 10:16 PM
Isn't Willie fritz an option HC? If so, probably a good fit claybrook. Pretty sure option teams like lighter olinemen

He is the coach there and they do plan to run the option- but I think they will also be out of the gun a good bit as well. More of a "modern" flexbone look I suppose. I just see a kid with those kinds of measurables and wonder why I haven't heard of him until now though? Cordavien Suggs is listed at 6'7" 270 right now on Scout.com so that's only 20 pounds heavier than Claybrook. Assuming the profiles of both are current of course.

Todd4State
07-20-2016, 10:17 PM
No Avery?

Yes he is supposed to be there too. I left a few out because I didn't want to just give out all of the content.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-21-2016, 09:35 AM
Claybrook camped at MSU the past couple of years but he's not a SEC OL. Good landing spot for him.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
07-21-2016, 09:53 AM

Is that normally how many kids show up? That seems like a small camp.

Dirt Dauber
07-21-2016, 09:59 AM
How many offensive linemen do we plan to take in the 2017 class?

Johnson85
07-21-2016, 12:25 PM
Claybrook camped at MSU the past couple of years but he's not a SEC OL. Good landing spot for him.

I get your point, but since we aren't in the habit of signing SEC OL anyway and need a big OL class, it seems like we'd be looking to lock down at least some commits early rather than scrambling at the last second like usual.

msstate7
07-21-2016, 12:27 PM
I get your point, but since we aren't in the habit of signing SEC OL anyway and need a big OL class, it seems like we'd be looking to lock down at least some commits early rather than scrambling at the last second like usual.

Well if there's a kid we don't wanna drop at the last moment, it's a hometown kid. If everything falls through, we'll probably have no problem getting him then

Johnson85
07-21-2016, 12:34 PM
Well if there's a kid we don't wanna drop at the last moment, it's a hometown kid. If everything falls through, we'll probably have no problem getting him then

I would appreciate you not interrupting my bitching with logic. Every state fan has earned the right to bitch about OL recruiting anytime OL recruiting is mentioned, even if it's only tangentially mentioned, and everything Mullen/Hevesy do with respect to OL recruiting is presumptively the wrong thing. That's the rules until they either sign a good OL class or until they announce that they are going to Costanza the OL Recruiting from now on, and always do the opposite of whatever their brain is telling them to do.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-21-2016, 12:35 PM

But if we're going to be scrambling at the last minute we could still get a guy like this at the last minute. Why would you take a kid that you don't believe is a SEC player in July. It's bad enough to take 1 in January but you definitely don't take a guy you don't believe in this early.

Johnson85
07-21-2016, 12:40 PM
But if we're going to be scrambling at the last minute we could still get a guy like this at the last minute. Why would you take a kid that you don't believe is a SEC player in July. It's bad enough to take 1 in January but you definitely don't take a guy you don't believe in this early.

Again, I dont' appreciate the attempt at logic, but even so, it seems like we end up missing on a lot of OL guys we "keep warm", to the point that we didn't even sign the bare minimum number of warm bodies we needed in the last class.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-21-2016, 12:45 PM
Again, I dont' appreciate the attempt at logic, but even so, it seems like we end up missing on a lot of OL guys we "keep warm", to the point that we didn't even sign the bare minimum number of warm bodies we needed in the last class.

Well I would at least wait until we miss on those guys before I take this kid. He's not a SEC kid & taking him now just isn't smart.

HSVDawg
07-21-2016, 02:15 PM

^^^This. As a side note, can you imagine the collective meltdown on all the MSU boards that would occur, given the already terrible history we have with recruiting OL, if we took a 250lb OL with no other Power 5 offers in August?

msstate7
07-21-2016, 02:25 PM
I would appreciate you not interrupting my bitching with logic. Every state fan has earned the right to bitch about OL recruiting anytime OL recruiting is mentioned, even if it's only tangentially mentioned, and everything Mullen/Hevesy do with respect to OL recruiting is presumptively the wrong thing. That's the rules until they either sign a good OL class or until they announce that they are going to Costanza the OL Recruiting from now on, and always do the opposite of whatever their brain is telling them to do.

Nice