PDA

View Full Version : My most memorable MSU home football games that I have attended

Todd4State
07-20-2016, 12:41 AM
I have been fortunate enough to watch us defeat everyone in the SEC in Starkville except for Mizzou and that's only because we haven't played them in Starkville yet. Assuming they don't join the Big 12 again. So, I picked my most memorable for each SEC team.

SEC Games

Egg Bowl 1999- Probably my personal favorite. I honestly remember being down 20-6 and not being worried one bit. That was just how that team rolled. Probably the most incredible Egg Bowl I have ever witnessed. We tie the game with 27 seconds or so left by throwing to a wide open CJ Sirmones who then went into isolation after game. Then Cutcliffe made the unforgivable sin of trying to throw a Hail Mary on Robert Bean who kicks the ball to Eugene Clinton setting up Scott Westefield game winner. And then the best Dawg Pound Rock ever followed. And then we tore down the goal posts. But that's what made that Egg Bowl win cool- the fans got to celebrate with the team. 1999 was the best MSU team I have ever seen. What gets forgotten sometimes is Fred Smoot having an absolutely sick INT to foil an Ole Miss TD and Dicenzo Miller running up the middle on a beautifully blocked running play (Iso?) and Barrin Simpson and Josh Morgan having 20 tackles apiece between them.

Alabama 1996- First of all the game started with the parachute guy who broke his leg. Then we came out and drove down and Robert Isaac squirted through the line and broke free to score a TD. Alabama ties it. Derrick Taite then throws it to God knows who and Lamont Woodberry did his best Eric Moulds impression to catch it for a TD. I think it was underthrown and was supposed to go to whomever the WR was in the back of the end zone but I'm not sure. Bama comes back and scores a TD but misses the extra point. And then they take the lead on a field goal. Reggie Kelly then breaks some defender for Alabama's ankles and we get a FG to take the lead. I was just waiting on Alabama to break our hearts again- but then Paul Lacoste had a huge sack that took them out of field goal range and then Bama threw a poor pass on fourth down and then everyone went crazy. I thought that would be a once in a lifetime win for us but then we beat them the next two years as well. And no I was not at MSU/Bama 1980.

Auburn 2014- I've seen us beat Auburn a few times including 1999 but since this is Davis Wade only this one is the most memorable for me. We had College Gameday in town and Dak an Josh were at their pinnacle. That was the first time I really remember "Don't stop Believing" even though I'm sure we did it before. It was unbelievable to watch us have a Heisman contending QB and knowing that we were the number one team in the country afte that win which was convincing. Bear's first TD really set the tone and we just kind of rolled from there. And when Auburn got some momentum back Quadry Antione ripped the ball from Auburn.

LSU 1999- I was at Baton Rouge in 2014 which was my most memorable win over LSU by far but again- Davis Wade only. Again, it was your typical 1999 MSU football win. I still believe that Rod Gibson scored and I think if they had instant replay they wouldn't have been able to overturn it. At any rate, Gibson scored the play before so it's moot as far as I'm concerned. We also had a big blocked punt in the end zone where we got a safety and our defense only allowed one TD on the first drive.

Arkansas 1998- We essentially won the SEC West and beat Houston Nutt in the process. We came out clicking on all cylinders on offense and JJ Johnson looked great but then got hurt and we pretty much stalled the rest of the game aside from getting a bunch of field goals. Until the last drive where we were down 21-19 and then Wayne Madkin made two impossible plays on a third and long and a fourth and long to set up Brian Hazlewood's game winning field goal. Chris Rainey had a huge run on that drive which made the field goal almost a chip shot.

Texas A&M 2014- I don't really have a choice since the Snow Bowl tribute disaster is my only other option. But it was in the midst of our great 2014 run to number one. Dak and Josh proved they weren't flukes and we pretty much dominated the Aggies.

Tennessee 1994- We beat Peyton Manning after being down 21-7. Eric Moulds made a ridiculous catch on 4th and long on a ball that Derrick Taite just threw up for grabs (anyone see a theme here?). And then we rolled out and threw to 300 pound TE Kendall Watkins to finish the game off. That win set us up for an 8 win season.

Vanderbilt 1998- I picked this one because this was the game where the Dawg Pound Rock started and Wayne Madkin made his debut. I also remember JJ Johnson running over someone for Vandy and the DB's helmet came flying off. And we went on to win 42-0.

Florida 2000- 4th and 53 and it seemed like everyone played well in the most lopsided 47-35 win ever. Dontae Walker and Dicenzo Miller were absolute beasts and then you had Smoot covering everything else that wasn't water. And I still don't believe Spurrier's story about one of our fans beating up their water boy. The hardest thing that his team hit that day was his visor being thrown down into the well manicured Scott Field turf.

Georgia 2010- I think this is an incredibly underrated win in MSU history. It was Dan Mullen's second year and we hadn't beaten Georgia since 1974. We came out and Relf ran a beautiful option play which he pitched to Vick Ballard who scored. Later Arceto the secret weapon Clark came up with a TD catch that sealed the deal for us. Georgia scored late but it was garbage time at that point. This win along with the also underrated Florida win on the road spurned us on to the Gator Bowl that year.

Kentucky 1999- I had a lot to choose from but this was probably the most exciting. This was back when MSU/Kentucky Joe Lee Dunn/Hal Mumme was ESPN Thursday night/ESPN2 fodder. This was the game where JLD came out with 10 DB's and UK had to call a TO on their first play. We scored on our first drive but then UK scored 22 unanswered points. We came back of course and then we had Westerfield set up for what looked like a game winning FG which he missed. But thankfully since UK only knew how the throw the ball and no one could run on us anyway- we got the ball back and Matt Wyatt led a drive to set up an even more exciting last second game winning FG which Westerfield did not miss and kept us undefeated.

South Carolina 1999- We shut out Lou Holtz in his first year there to help make sure his first season was a winless one. I remember Ashley Cooper scored on a tipped pass that he picked off and then Kevin Love scored on a post pattern. I also remember USC being on the goal line and going for it on 4th down against our best defense ever and getting completely stuffed to preserve the shut out.

C-USA Games

Southern Mississippi 2014- I had never seen us play USM up until that point and Dan made sure it was a good one as we shut them out 49-0 in 2014. Dak to Bear on the seam post and the game was over. The funniest part was USM stopping us on the goal line on 4th down and our guys looking around like "WTF?"

Tulane 1994- Best homecoming win ever. Derrick Taite set a then school record for passing yards and TD passes because Tulane was going to stop the run no matter what and just let us completely burn them the whole game to the tune of 66 points. It was fun to look like 1990's Florida for a day.

Memphis 2010- Typically this was always a tough game for us that we would somehow win. But this one set the tone for Dan Mullen's we're not going to lose to another OOC team streak. We came out and beat them 49-7 and did pretty much whatever we wanted to. It was coldly efficient- I remember Vick Ballard running through the middle of their defense almost untouched and Tyler Russell picking their secondary apart as a freshman.

Louisiana Tech 2015- La Tech had a solid team and they took a 14-0 lead. But then Dak took over and we tied the game and then right before the half we blocked a punt to take the lead and pull away from them. And then after the game we all got to watch Ole Miss lose to Memphis.

msbulldog
07-20-2016, 06:12 AM
Great Memories!

missouridawg
07-20-2016, 06:41 AM
I thought it was 3rd and 57? And they ran it out of the back of the end zone in lieu of even trying. I was at that game as a wide eyed freshman and don't remember much.

msstate7
07-20-2016, 07:03 AM
Arkansas '98 was great. Who was the safety for Arkansas that knocked madkin out on that last drive for a play or 2? That dude was very hard-hitting

lastmajordog
07-20-2016, 07:24 AM
The first night game at Scott Field against LSU. Portable lights, cold front just passed through, crystal clear and FREEZING and Beautiful. LSU highly rated just having beat BAMA I think, MSU just got some starters back from injury. Danny Knight iNCREDIBLE catch, shake of defender and run for TD. John Bond giving a school on Triple option quarterbacking. Ernie Barnes a total WRECKING machine in the defensive line and then the field goal kicker from Louisiana kicking the winning field goal. Went on to beat Dickie Scruggs Tech the next week if I remember correctly....It was long time ago.....It just does not get any better than that game........

Another incredible game was beating Jim Kelly and the Miami Hurricanes at Scott Field. Probably the most intense hard hitting game I remember. What sticks out in whats left Of my memory is Johnnie Cooks walking up to the center and whispering a sweet nothing in his ear .....then watching him center the ball over the punters head ....or something along that line....Would love for some Dog with a better memory to clarify and verify all this......

shrimp
07-20-2016, 07:31 AM
That's correct.

I thought it was 3rd and 57? And they ran it out of the back of the end zone in lieu of even trying. I was at that game as a wide eyed freshman and don't remember much.

shoeless joe
07-20-2016, 08:07 AM
As someone who was in school for the croom years I'd have to say the Florida in 04 was extremely memorable.

BB30
07-20-2016, 08:19 AM
I was ten at the 2000 UF game. Still probably my fondest memory. That 97-2000 stretch was great. It is a shame we didn't snag another west championship/possible SEC championship. That was a great time to of pulled it off with the west not having a completely dominant team like present Alabama.

starkvegasdawg
07-20-2016, 08:21 AM
Mine was the first game I got to take my kids to. Watching them experience the game atmosphere and ringing cowbells as hard as their little arms could (no, they weren't ringing responsibly and I didn't care). That day a couple years ago solidified two more MSU fans for life.

Martianlander
07-20-2016, 09:05 AM
The first night game at Scott Field against LSU. Portable lights, cold front just passed through, crystal clear and FREEZING and Beautiful. LSU highly rated just having beat BAMA I think, MSU just got some starters back from injury. Danny Knight iNCREDIBLE catch, shake of defender and run for TD. John Bond giving a school on Triple option quarterbacking. Ernie Barnes a total WRECKING machine in the defensive line and then the field goal kicker from Louisiana kicking the winning field goal. Went on to beat Dickie Scruggs Tech the next week if I remember correctly....It was long time ago.....It just does not get any better than that game........

Another incredible game was beating Jim Kelly and the Miami Hurricanes at Scott Field. Probably the most intense hard hitting game I remember. What sticks out in whats left Of my memory is Johnnie Cooks walking up to the center and whispering a sweet nothing in his ear .....then watching him center the ball over the punters head ....or something along that line....Would love for some Dog with a better memory to clarify and verify all this......

Yeah, I believe that LSU first night game is the one that sticks in my memory too. Nationally televised. Al Michaels and whoever his college partner was at the time did the game.

AusTexDawg
07-20-2016, 09:10 AM
Pretty sure it was the 1991 Egg Bowl. I was working in a concession booth and got to watch security slam a rowdy rebel up against the counter right in front of me and haul him away. It was nice payback from having one of them splash their drink on me while I was walking up the ramp from the concourse into the bleachers to watch a little bit of the 3rd quarter.

BrunswickDawg
07-20-2016, 09:26 AM
I was at a number of the games you listed from 91-98, and agree on most - especially '96 Bama and '14 AU. Those are tops all time for me.
My other favorites are:
'91 Texas - First big-time MSU game for me as a Frosh. It was hot as balls (almost as hot as @ Memphis in 2000). Just a slobberknocker of a game.

'92 UF - the Shane Matthews "no school in Mississippi was good enough for me" game. Torched their ass on Thursday night on ESPN.

'94 Auburn - yes, they beat the shit out of us. It was memorable for me b/c my cousin was a walk-on at AU. We went to their hotel in Columbus that morning and got to meet Coach Bowden and the "War Eagle". My cousin got his first playing time at WR for AU that game.

'14 AU - Crazy spur of the moment road trip with my son and one of my great friends who happened be in town training at FLETC. Just shocked I was there for the moment.

DawgHouseUnited
07-20-2016, 09:43 AM
I was at a number of the games you listed from 91-98, and agree on most - especially '96 Bama and '14 AU. Those are tops all time for me.
My other favorites are:
'91 Texas - First big-time MSU game for me as a Frosh. It was hot as balls (almost as hot as @ Memphis in 2000). Just a slobberknocker of a game.

'92 UF - the Shane Matthews "no school in Mississippi was good enough for me" game. Torched their ass on Thursday night on ESPN.

'94 Auburn - yes, they beat the shit out of us. It was memorable for me b/c my cousin was a walk-on at AU. We went to their hotel in Columbus that morning and got to meet Coach Bowden and the "War Eagle". My cousin got his first playing time at WR for AU that game.

'14 AU - Crazy spur of the moment road trip with my son and one of my great friends who happened be in town training at FLETC. Just shocked I was there for the moment.

Love these two games.
I was on the field after the '96 Bama game. A friend of mine tore up some of the turf and took it home to plant in the yard.

BrunswickDawg
07-20-2016, 09:57 AM
Love these two games.
I was on the field after the '96 Bama game. A friend of mine tore up some of the turf and took it home to plant in the yard.

'96 Bama - I graduated in December '94, and had been married for 3 months. With 5:00 left I turned to my bride and said "I'll find you at the tailgate" and headed to find a couple of friends. We made our way toward the north end zone. I was hanging from the goal post when it came down. I think I made it back to my thankfully understanding wife about 2 hours after the game, half drunk and dirty from helping carry an upright to fraternity row.

Dolphus Raymond
07-20-2016, 10:24 AM
Miami, 1981. (Hell yes I'm old)

MSUDawg99
07-20-2016, 10:37 AM
I'd have to say one of my faves was also '96 Bama when I was in school there. Partly because I got to watch the game with one of my sorority sis's & her brother who were actually from Muscle Shoals, AL. I remember watching the goal post come down & seeing pieces of it in the frat houses after wards.

2014 LSU, A&M & AUB of course have to make that list. The LSU game, I was standing on the very very top row of our section with my MSU crew & I wouldn't let myself get too excited cause I know that LSU is always a 2nd Q team & I just knew that the game wasn't over until the fat lady sings...and then the fat lady did sing & she sang loud cause that bitch was over!

Dak stiff arming Jalen Mills was, of course, the play that exemplified our season, in my opinion.

Richie Browns 3 INT's...count 'em T-H-R-E-E- INTERCEPTIONS against A&M was incredible also.

But AUB was the pinnacle of it all. Nothing like the cowbells in unison to Don't Stop Believing in the pouring down rain. I never got to wear those game clothes again cause my white tank top turned maroon when it got wet because of my long maroon skirt bleeding onto it & my maroon skirt turned brown because of all the mud that got on the back of it walking back to the tailgate. But damn that was fun!

DawgHouseUnited
07-20-2016, 10:40 AM
'96 Bama - I graduated in December '94, and had been married for 3 months. With 5:00 left I turned to my bride and said "I'll find you at the tailgate" and headed to find a couple of friends. We made our way toward the north end zone. I was hanging from the goal post when it came down. I think I made it back to my thankfully understanding wife about 2 hours after the game, half drunk and dirty from helping carry an upright to fraternity row.

Haha I was on the South side of the field. 'Twas my first year there. Left my date in the stands too... Good times

lastmajordog
07-20-2016, 11:41 AM
" (Hell yes I'm old)"

I resemble that remark......

Mjoelner34
07-20-2016, 12:23 PM
I was at most of the games mentioned above and agree with them and I'm going to add a couple of more. But, these were two that didn't turn out good for us. They're memorable to me because of the atmosphere.

1. The UF game where Banks had the 2 pick-sixes. The atmosphere that night was off the charts. To me, what I feel now every time I walk into the stadium for a big SEC game started that night.

2. The OT loss to UPig when we honored Nick Bell. Another game with a super atmosphere. The thing that really stands out to me is how fast my emotions swung back and forth during the moment of silence. I, like everyone else, had my head bowed and was saying a prayer for Nick and his family when I heard this cowbell ringing. I immediately clinched my jaw, raised my head and looked around for the jerk that was disrespecting the moment of silence. Then, I followed the sound down onto the field and saw that it was his mother ringing the bell. Getting dusty in here now just remembering that and typing it.

Rexxx
07-20-2016, 12:26 PM
Texas '91. Florida Shane Mathews Thursday night game. Bama '96. Florida 3rd and 57 game.

shrimp
07-20-2016, 01:09 PM
Sat through the rain for Texas '91, JWS' first game at State.

Boiled about 90lbs of shrimp after the Florida 3rd and 57 game.

Texas '91. Florida Shane Mathews Thursday night game. Bama '96. Florida 3rd and 57 game.

mcain31
07-20-2016, 01:34 PM
For me, it was the 2007 Bama game. I was maybe 15 feet away from AJ when he intercepted John Parker Wilson. It's hard to describe how the stadium erupted from the sideline. I was tempted to run with AJ to the end zone in my dress blues

Billy Ray Valentine
07-20-2016, 04:42 PM
1988 MSU 17 La Tech 10. I was there

parabrave
07-20-2016, 05:05 PM
92 Florida game, never forgot the sign in the student section "Shane Pull Up Your Socks. The 2007 Bama game. I never heard it so loud anywhere I've ever been and the Bama fans saying we paid 4 million for this!

Bodaski
07-20-2016, 05:14 PM
1974 Memphis St game at the Liberty bowl. Rocky and Dennis Johnson led us 98 yds in like 2:30. A great game and the last game I got to see with my dad before he passed away in Jan. 75.

Dolphus Raymond
07-20-2016, 06:01 PM
I was listening to the Memphis game on the radio. If I remember, Rocky Felker converted a two point conversion for the win following the drive. MSU went to the Sun Bowl I believe.

Dawgcentral
07-20-2016, 07:57 PM
Miami, 1981. (Hell yes I'm old)

My first game to see on campus. I was hooked.

Dawgcentral
07-20-2016, 08:01 PM
Shane Matthews said before the game he "Grew up an OM fan and hated MSU".

We sacked him 6 times.

Mjoelner34
07-20-2016, 10:30 PM
92 Florida game, never forgot the sign in the student section "Shane Pull Up Your Socks. The 2007 Bama game. I never heard it so loud anywhere I've ever been and the Bama fans saying we paid 4 million for this!

There was also a sign on the front of the concrete wall behind the Florida bench that read: FLORIDA GATORS

I think it stayed up most of the 1st quarter.

tcdog70
07-21-2016, 09:48 AM
how about 1970 vs the Mustard Buzzards. USM had just the week before beat Ole Miss who was undefeated with Archie at the Helm. "Little" Willie Heidelburg had run wild on the Rebs.

The Buzzards marched into Starkville thinking they were going to blow up the Dogs. The first time Little Willie ran the reverse that killed the Rebs, I think it was John David Calhoun, knocked Him out of the game. they had to tote LW off the field and we went on and killed them 51-15. A great day at Scott Field. and Yes I also am a Geezer

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
07-21-2016, 10:00 AM
Here is one of my personal favorite memories MSU v Auburn 1992:

"Who needs a first- or second-string quarterback when the third-stringer can get the job done?

Third-string quarterback Todd Jordan made the plays he needed to make and Mississippi State's defense continued its domination as the No. 18 Bulldogs beat Auburn, 14-7, Saturday night at Starkville, Miss.

The Bulldogs improved to 4-1 overall and 3-1 in the Southeastern Conference. Auburn (4-2, 2-2), which now has little hope of winning the SEC West, had not lost in Starkville since 1950.

Jordan, a junior who hadn't started a game since his freshman year, was pressed into service when backup Greg Plump went down in the first quarter with a sprained neck. Plump was playing because starter Sleepy Robinson was lost for the season when he tore ligaments in his left knee last week against Florida.

Jordan completed 13 of 27 passes for 144 yards, all season highs for Mississippi State's run-oriented offense.

"I thought Todd came in and did the best job he has done of handling the football," Mississippi State Coach Jackie Sherrill said. "We were sure Todd was ready to play. We just told him to protect the ball."

Both defenses were able to stop the opponent's offense, and the biggest play of the night came on special teams.

With Mississippi State trailing 7-6 early in the fourth quarter, Tony James fielded a 55-yard punt, cut to his left, and shed several tacklers before breaking free around midfield and streaking up the left sideline 63 yards for a touchdown. Jordan passed to Olanda Truitt for a two-point conversion...."

http://articles.latimes.com/1992-10-11/sports/sp-333_1_mississippi-state

BigEasyDawg
07-21-2016, 05:00 PM
I'm torn between the 2013 egg bowl and 2014 Auburn game.

That ending to the egg bowl after Dak came into the game and began to cement his legacy. But the pinnacle was seeing bro ballace fumble the ball into the end zone. My hand was so dang dumb from that weather but I've never rang a cowbell louder. It was that one game that I can't wait to tell my kids i was at one day.

14' Auburn game was the loudest and craziest environment I've ever been in. Just to be there soaking wet at halftime knowing that the whole nations eyes were on little ol Mississippi state and that we would be the number one team in the nation. Man was that glorious!

JohnnyQuid
07-22-2016, 12:07 AM

was also there for Texas in 91 and Florida with Shane Matthews - pretty much first games I remember I was in the 4th grade.

Tennessee in 94. ark 98. ole miss 99. lsu 99. fl 2000. snow bowl vs a&m but left at halftime.

one year when bama was down and jj johnson had like 275 yards running/receiving.

3-2 auburn cos we should have won.

1997 ole miss scored went for 2 and beat us. ****ing cory peterson