PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Coaching and Recruiting

bulldogcountry1
07-18-2016, 08:19 AM
In the wake of Mingione and Mini Me leaving, we have seen at least 3 decommits. I don't know if this is just a direct result of the coaching changes or a sign of the times, but it's a bit worrisome. One of the main reasons I have cooled on college football and basketball over the years is because of the recruiting game. All of the drama and indecision of 18 year olds was just too much to deal with. Baseball recruiting has always been more stable and predictable, with signing day felling like more of a formality than a big show.

So, is this just an anomaly with losing our main recruiter or is this the way things are going with the immaturity of HS kids these days? Is losing Mingione going to really hurt us in recruiting?

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
07-18-2016, 08:41 AM
I just posted this in the other thread, but having Butch at Auburn and Bama improving their facilities seems like it could hurt us going forward. Although coaches are leaving for HC jobs in most cases, we are having a little instability with the current staff and I'm sure that doesn't help build those relationships either.

ShotgunDawg
07-18-2016, 08:43 AM
In the wake of Mingione and Mini Me leaving, we have seen at least 3 decommits. I don't know if this is just a direct result of the coaching changes or a sign of the times, but it's a bit worrisome. One of the main reasons I have cooled on college football and basketball over the years is because of the recruiting game. All of the drama and indecision of 18 year olds was just too much to deal with. Baseball recruiting has always been more stable and predictable, with signing day felling like more of a formality than a big show.

So, is this just an anomaly with losing our main recruiter or is this the way things are going with the immaturity of HS kids these days? Is losing Mingione going to really hurt us in recruiting?

I think it's a combination of us losing coaches & those coaches going to schools that we are competing against in recruiting. Mini-me went to Arkansas & Milligan committed there & Butch went to Auburn where he is recruiting directly against.

Taog Redloh
07-18-2016, 09:03 AM
Some of you will worry about anything.

Yes, we lost some commitments due to coaching turnover. But shit, there is nothing to worry about. We are putting coaches in position to get better jobs. This year, they all hit at one time. Two guys got head jobs and one took a lateral move back home. This is not a big deal, if anything, it helps Cohen's reputation. And if these recruits were only coming for an assistant coach, then it's not really the end of the world. We need guys who want to be at MSU, first and foremost.

Not to mention our staff now is pretty dang good.