PDA

View Full Version : Looks like the City is fighting for bulldog bash.

Steakonastick
07-17-2016, 11:23 PM
http://http://cdispatch.com/news/article.asp?aid=51580 (http://cdispatch.com/news/article.asp?aid=51580)

beretta
07-18-2016, 06:56 AM
I have been very vocal about the difference between Starkville and Oxford.....they are the exact same towns, with the exception that Oxford and UM work hand and hand together branding and marketing.....and that stuck out reading this article....

"Dan Camp, a former Starkville mayor and real estate mogul who owns a significant amount of real estate in the Cotton District said BB is one of the most significant nights of the year for Starkville businesses...."

and then

"......no one with the Student Association approached him about the move or about any of the 'logistical issues' "

and then

"In the past, we used to have a spring event called 'Down in the District,'" Camp said. "It used to draw 20,000-25,000 people. A previous vice president for Student Affairs had it moved. The first year they had it in the amphitheater, they had half the attendance they had in the district the previous year. Now you never hear about it."

Irondawg
07-18-2016, 07:48 AM
Funny thing is most of the time these things come up they blame the city but that seems to point the finger at MSU. I have no idea what the problem is but it honestly shouldn't be too hard to figure it out.

archdog
07-18-2016, 09:48 AM
It needs to stay in the cotton district. Why mess with success? What are the issues the Student Association is trying to solve by placing it on campus?

Coach007
07-18-2016, 09:55 AM
This isn't hard! Promote the school within the student areas. Cotton District! Then move some smaller events around the community to promote business. Make sure those are advertised in conjunction with the cotton district.

1- moves people around the city.
2- spreads the love

Just my opinion....

the59dawg
07-18-2016, 09:55 AM
Two or three of the empty spaces in Cotton district have/are being built out with condos. Not many places to put the outdoor concessions and 25000 people now except in the streets.
The CD quotes are accurate but not complete. Apparently for this year The SA were being told spaces previously used are not available. Thus the apparent decision to move the BB.

Steakonastick
07-18-2016, 10:00 AM
reminds me of bulldog bash about 6 years ago. The SA president was getting the band he wanted no matter what. I'll bet the new president wants a certain group and that is why she is making the move to meet their stage demands. There is not a legit reason to move it out of the cotton district.

I remember as a student going to see the Whalers in the cotton district in the spring. It was a mini bulldog bash. The next year they moved it to campus and I never went again.

Thompson92
07-18-2016, 10:02 AM
Bash could be in the Cotton District this year, but the event would need to be smaller, meaning lesser-known artists. The city can't have it both ways. The students putting this on want the best possible concert experience for MSU, and it's not their fault if the previous location is no longer available.

Forrest4Moore
07-18-2016, 10:05 AM
She ran for president on a platform that included moving Bulldog Bash. She wanted it moved, regardless of the space constraints.

msbulldog
07-18-2016, 10:06 AM
Maybe the City ought to think about getting rid of TSUN recruiters working at their high school as a way to start working closer with MSU.

deltadawg99
07-18-2016, 10:08 AM
The divide between the city and university is something that I've never understood. Parker Wiseman and his family are huge Bulldogs, so I figured he would help the situation but it doesn't appear that much has changed.