PDA

View Full Version : Been an interesting summer, what have we learned????

ElitedawgRecruiting
07-17-2016, 11:11 AM
Feel free to add if you like.

1. We still don't have a definite leader at the quarterback position. If either of these kids was "the guy" Mullen would have named one. I think it boils down to do you make the safe pick or the guy with the most talent. Either way I honestly believe the next guy is a place holder for Keytaon.

2. Steve don't give a rats ass who he pisses off and if you show weakness he will go for your jugular.

3. Ole Miss media will believe anything they are told as long as it's coming from a hypocrite.

4. Coach34 is more popular with ole miss then Mississippi state folks.

5. Reason2succeed believes evil is a foot in Oxford. Don't believe me, he will have a new thread about it soon.

6. AJ Brown is still overrated like I said his entire recruitment. But hey y'all keep talking about him.

ScottH
07-17-2016, 11:16 AM
7. Until proven differently, baseball recruiting ability is now a question mark.

Dawgfan77
07-17-2016, 11:36 AM
Mullen never names a starter until the game

ElitedawgRecruiting
07-17-2016, 11:44 AM
Maybe not publically. My feeling is he don't know yet. Does the guy with the most talent put it all together. That's what he is waiting on I bet

GTHOM
07-17-2016, 11:49 AM
He wouldve been stupid to name a starter after spring ball

RiverCityDawg
07-17-2016, 11:57 AM
I don't think we know #1 yet. If all four were "even" going into the summer, he's not going to name a starter without any additional practice. He wants to see leadership and improvement over the summer but you can't really tell if that's materialized until you get back on the field. Mullen may say he wants to name a starter as soon as one separates himself, but I don't see any way he names a starter before game week at the very earliest. Competition is good for everyone.

ShotgunDawg
07-17-2016, 12:17 PM

1. We still don't have a definite leader at the quarterback position. If either of these kids was "the guy" Mullen would have named one. I think it boils down to do you make the safe pick or the guy with the most talent. Either way I honestly believe the next guy is a place holder for Keytaon.

I don't get this narrative. I believe our most talented (Fitz) is also our safest guy. By far the safest thing we can do on offense is enhance the running game by running the read option, and Fitz is BY FAR the best guy we have at running the read option. This gets us in 3rd and shorts and offers us a run/pass option on 3rd down.

I really wish MSU fans would stop insinuating or saying that Damian Williams is our safest option. That's absurd because all that will lead to is no running game and tons of 3rd and longs, which by definition are unsafe. The madness has to stop and people need to start thinking this through.

If you didn't like the SR year Dak Prescott offense, then wait till you see the Damian Williams offense. It will be the same offense with a lesser passer, runner, and the loss of Bear.

ShotgunDawg
07-17-2016, 12:20 PM
#7. Has Mullen reached his recruiting ceiling at MSU. I feel like we are all holding out hope that we'll become a top 10-15 recruiter, but I don't see it. He's either not creative enough to or unwilling to do what it takes to get there. Either way, it appears that our current recruiting is just what it's going to be.

state66
07-17-2016, 12:45 PM
Top 10-15? I just want mullen to put together a top 25 class every year. Too much drop off between good classes.

ElitedawgRecruiting
07-17-2016, 01:12 PM
I never said or insinuated anyone especially Damien was our safest bet. IMO Fitz is the safe bet. Staley is the one to watch based on talent alone

Offshore Dawg
07-17-2016, 01:22 PM
I never said or insinuated anyone especially Damien was our safest bet. IMO Fitz is the safe bet. Staley is the one to watch based on talent alone

I keep hearing about all this physical talent Staley has, but as long as he presents himself as the sideline clown he isn't playing much.

ElitedawgRecruiting
07-17-2016, 01:28 PM
Yeah. Far be it for a kid to have a good time playing the game he loves. The nerve of that guy

Speaking of narratives. Not one time has any coach or player ever questioned this kids determination, his ability, his work ethic, his film study, his desire.... But because he dances on the sideline, we as fans question all that. Does nobody else see the problem with that line of thinking? And for the record, if it wasn't for his personality and leadership, we wouldn't have half the kids on the team we got from his class. Just saying

drummerdawg
07-17-2016, 01:32 PM

In what ways is Staley more talented?

Joe Schmedlap
07-17-2016, 01:45 PM

Staley was rated higher as a recruit, therefore he is labeled to be the most talented. I do think his arm strength is the best on the team. I, for one, like that he has a good time cheering and cutting up on the sidelines. He has flirted with hoops though in college and quit football his senior year of high school. So, the appearance, whether factual or not, is that he may not be as serious about being our QB as others on the team may be. Plus, Dak himself apparently has said that Tiano may be the best option in waiting. I trust Dak's opinion on this more than I trust high school recruiting pundits.

BeastMan
07-17-2016, 03:06 PM

Biggest arm. Size wise he is a mammoth. Plus he has athletic ability. 6-6 250 men are not supposed to be able to move like he does.

Spiderman
07-17-2016, 03:15 PM

2. Steve don't give a rats ass who he pisses off and if you show weakness he will go for your jugular.

3. Ole Miss media will believe anything they are told as long as it's coming from a hypocrite.

4. Coach34 is more popular with ole miss then Mississippi state folks.

5. Reason2succeed believes evil is a foot in Oxford. Don't believe me, he will have a new thread about it soon.

6. AJ Brown is still overrated like I said his entire recruitment. But hey y'all keep talking about him.

I think Williams starts the 1st game if it were today. Not saying he does all year or plays the most. But unless injury or other things happen, he's the starter.

I will have to disagree on your opinion Brown is overrated. We really needed him or some one of his talent level

Dallas_Dawg
07-17-2016, 03:41 PM
Mullen is not naming a starter in order to promote competition. Also, let's say he named Fitz the starter, the other three wouldn't likely work as hard knowing that they aren't going to play.

Bucky Dog
07-17-2016, 03:52 PM
Cohen can't coach***

Mullen can't recruit***

Malik can't play PG

Coach34 and Rosie have the inside scoop on everything

Freeze has aged 10 years and has had his hypocritical layer of BS peeled back by more than State fans

People are stupid and do stupid stuff

Bass Chaser
07-17-2016, 06:07 PM
Based on what I had read from several boards, I thought Staley's main issue was not knowing the playbook.

Dawgcentral
07-17-2016, 06:31 PM
If one QB is not driving the ball down the field, we're going to see another. Maybe two. Maybe three.

No matter who is playing, 50 - 60% of the fans will demand another once we lose a game, or have a close win over a lesser opponent. So brace yourselves for the arguments.

Same thing with running backs.

Our offensive line will suck even if we manage to win 8-9 games.

Mullen will entertain other jobs at the end of the season. He can actually be in Miami and Starkville at the same time.

Scientologists have that ability. *

dawg27
07-17-2016, 06:59 PM
Why does eveybody think fitz is the best bet, and why is everbody saying williams sux. I have not seen any practice this spring so is williams just horrible.

Dawgowar
07-17-2016, 07:00 PM
Heavesy serves a shit burger to his detractors or proves his critics right. It all lies on the OL.

ShotgunDawg
07-17-2016, 09:52 PM
Why does eveybody think fitz is the best bet, and why is everbody saying williams sux. I have not seen any practice this spring so is williams just horrible.

Good question

Fitz is bigger, stronger, faster, and a quicker release. He is a much better athlete and lighter on his feet.

DownwardDawg
07-17-2016, 10:18 PM
Biggest arm. Size wise he is a mammoth. Plus he has athletic ability. 6-6 250 men are not supposed to be able to move like he does.

He moves extremely slow.

bulldawg28
07-17-2016, 10:27 PM
Good question

Fitz is bigger, stronger, faster, and a quicker release. He is a much better athlete and lighter on his feet.

Fitz is quicker with a faster release and lighter on his feet. He's not bigger, faster, nor is he a better athlete

BorneDawg
07-17-2016, 10:35 PM
Fitz is quicker with a faster release and lighter on his feet. He's not bigger, faster, nor is he sa better athlete

I think Shotgun was talking about Fitz over Williams... He is bigger, faster, and more talented than Williams

bulldawg28
07-17-2016, 11:05 PM
I think Shotgun was talking about Fitz over Williams... He is bigger, faster, and more talented than Williams

Gotcha...my bad.

Steakonastick
07-17-2016, 11:13 PM
Fitz is the fastest qb out of the 4. He was even faster then Dak.

ShotgunDawg
07-17-2016, 11:54 PM
Fitz is quicker with a faster release and lighter on his feet. He's not bigger, faster, nor is he a better athlete

I think Fitz is absolutely faster than Staley &, as for who's the better athlete, I would think it depends on how you/we define athleticism. Staley is certainly better at basketball, but Fitz is lighter on his feet & fast, so IMO, that makes him a better athlete than Staley for the purposes of playing football.

Athleticism could also be defined by how quickly & capable one is at making physical adjustments. I don't have an answer yet for which one is better at that.

bulldawg28
07-18-2016, 12:19 AM
I think either Fitz, Staley, or Tiano transfers at the end of the season. Maybe even two of these guys transfers.

BrunswickDawg
07-18-2016, 06:11 AM
I think Fitz is absolutely faster than Staley &, as for who's the better athlete, I would think it depends on how you/we define athleticism. Staley is certainly better at basketball, but Fitz is lighter on his feet & fast, so IMO, that makes him a better athlete than Staley for the purposes of playing football.

Athleticism could also be defined by how quickly & capable one is at making physical adjustments. I don't have an answer yet for which one is better at that.

Fitz was an all-region receiver his JR year - he's an athlete.

Coldsleeve Jr.
07-18-2016, 07:58 AM
He moves extremely slow.

I agree. His footwork is very slow. He's a sack waiting to happen imo. That being said, he probably has the best arm of them all.

Jarius
07-18-2016, 08:41 AM
Staley is big and slow. He has a good arm but he is Tyler Russell type slow. Fitz or Tiano are the answer or we are in trouble. If they can't get it done we are going to struggle to get to 6 wins. Williams is not an SEC qb and Staley has not shown anything to me that would lead me to believe that he is either. I will be happy to be wrong and will support whichever qb steps up and takes the job. I don't care who wins the job, I just hope someone wins it rather than someone getting the job simply because we have to pick someone.

MSUDawg99
07-18-2016, 08:46 AM
I don't think we know #1 yet. If all four were "even" going into the summer, he's not going to name a starter without any additional practice. He wants to see leadership and improvement over the summer but you can't really tell if that's materialized until you get back on the field. Mullen may say he wants to name a starter as soon as one separates himself, but I don't see any way he names a starter before game week at the very earliest. Competition is good for everyone.

This. If he were to name a starter already (which would be extremely premature to do) then they'd probably all start to slack off a bit. We need them to all think they're on equal footing so as to get the best out of them in practice & find a separation somewhere.

MSUDawg99
07-18-2016, 08:54 AM
Mullen is not naming a starter in order to promote competition. Also, let's say he named Fitz the starter, the other three wouldn't likely work as hard knowing that they aren't going to play.

Yeah so I should've read the whole thread before commenting. I pretty much said the same thing. It would be irresponsible to have named a starter already, unless his name was Dak Prescott.

msbulldog
07-18-2016, 01:32 PM
I think Williams starts the 1st game if it were today. Not saying he does all year or plays the most. But unless injury or other things happen, he's the starter.

I will have to disagree on your opinion Brown is overrated. We really needed him or some one of his talent level

AJ Brown is a Diva, poison to a locker room. His attitude fits best where is going. He would do us more harm than good.