PDA

View Full Version : Well...went to see Elijah Staley tonight...

smootness
08-23-2013, 08:30 PM
And came away w/ essentially nothing. He threw a 55-yard TD before I got there...then threw 3 passes while I was there...an incompletion and 2 more TDs, of 38 and 49, both on underneath routes.

The first offensive play for Wheeler after I got there...95-yard TD run by the RB. Second play...97-yard TD by the RB. They were up 41-0 w/ 5 minutes left in the 1st half and pulled Staley. The team they played is 5A (Wheeler is 6A), but Wheeler only beat them 10-7 last year.

So Wheeler ran maybe 11-12 offensive plays in the first half. RB had 3 carries for 218 and 3 TDs. Staley was something like 5-6 for 160 and 3 TDs.

I did meet Staley's dad...wasn't sure why he came up to me 'til I realized I wore a State shirt today. Seemed like a really nice guy...told me he'd find me on twitter, then I realized he probably thought I was a coach or somehow officially affiliated w/ State. Don't worry, though, it's all good for us...I'm real gregarious and good-looking.

CadaverDawg
08-23-2013, 08:39 PM
Nice post. Thanks smoot

smootness
08-23-2013, 08:48 PM
He did, from what very little I saw, throw a nice spiral with touch. He didn't run at all; the radio show before the game said a criticism of him last year was that he tucked it and ran too quickly, but he didn't need to do it tonight.

I hope to get to 1-2 more of his games this year and see something more concrete.

woozman
08-23-2013, 08:53 PM
RB had 3 carries for 218 and 3 TDs.

Who is the RB? Those are some crazy ass stats - HS or not...

The Croom Diaries
08-23-2013, 08:54 PM
You missed the best part because he threw a nice 15 yard pass on the first drive and the 55 yarder was a bomb he threw, looked effortless when he threw it. Sprayberry was flat awful, Wheeler scored like 6 touchdowns on Elijah's last 8 plays or so, he didn't even have to think about running the ball. The kid is so tall, that much you could see, and he looks a little heavier than 205.

Elijay reminded me of Cam Newton on the sideline. Like to have fun, lead the team and get the crowd involved.

Too bad I didn't see you at the game Smoot. I sat with some other State fans I saw which was cool over here in Jawja.

The Croom Diaries
08-23-2013, 08:56 PM
Who is the RB? Those are some crazy ass stats - HS or not...

I don't think he was touched on either run. It was a joke.

smootness
08-23-2013, 08:58 PM
Name is Devontae Jackson, there's a video on YouTube of Staley throwing him a TD. Really short kid who's quick...he has speed, but it's hard to tell exactly how much. I thought they said he's a junior, but his 247 profile says 2014...offers from UMass and Air Force.

But yes, it was freaking bonkers.

smootness
08-23-2013, 09:00 PM
Thanks, Croom! I got there late and just stuck to the side near the fence. I'll probably be going to at least 1 more this year. Sprayberry looked teeeerrible, but Wheeler may be pretty legit this year.

ETA: really wish I had been able to see the long throw...from his highlights, he seems to have nice touch on the deep ball. Seems more like a Geno Smith type that's more about touch than a guy like Vick who just launches it.

BrunswickDawg
08-23-2013, 09:00 PM
Sprayberry is a rivalry game so dominating them is big for Elijah and Wheeler.

engie
08-23-2013, 09:35 PM
The kid is so tall, that much you could see, and he looks a little heavier than 205.

That info is outdated on his recruiting profiles... He checked into BDC @ 231lb... He's got the frame to hold nearly unlimited weight if he decides to put the football focus first...

Coach34
08-23-2013, 10:47 PM
Staley's Dad is a good dude and has all this stuff in perspective. He wants Elijah to enroll early to get ready to push Dakota in 2014- but Elijah wants to hoop it up his Sr season. He wont force him to do anything but is there to advise him. He's excited about becoming part of the State family it seems- and I look forward to meeting him next Fall.

hacker
08-23-2013, 11:38 PM
Staley's dad has been posting here for a while, actually. So I think he'll figure out that you weren't a coach pretty quick.

The Croom Diaries
08-24-2013, 06:28 AM
Here is my review of the game in blog form if anyone is interested: http://www.forwhomthecowbelltolls.com/2013/8/24/4653610/scouting-elijah-staley

coachcamp
08-24-2013, 02:47 PM
@smootness lol. dude I knew you wasnt a coach. lol you dont have enough swag.. lmaoo anyway, I seen the Maroon & white and decided to introduce myself.
Most of those recruiting services info about Elijah is allll wrong. He havnt weighed 205 in 2 years. Elijah is really not a run first dual threat QB. If he was, he would have rushed for 1000 yds last year. if you look at his hudl hilights, you'll see that he is very patient in the pocket. Ive been trying to get him to leave the pocket more often because when he does, he is very deadly! The Sprayberry game was suppose to be a better game. I really appreciate the love from Miss St fans.

coachcamp
08-24-2013, 02:49 PM
@smootness lol. dude I knew you wasnt a coach. lol you dont have enough swag.. lmaoo anyway, I seen the Maroon & white and decided to introduce myself.
Most of those recruiting services info about Elijah is allll wrong. He havnt weighed 205 in 2 years. Elijah is really not a run first dual threat QB. If he was, he would have rushed for 1000 yds last year. if you look at his hudl hilights, you'll see that he is very patient in the pocket. Ive been trying to get him to leave the pocket more often because when he does, he is very deadly! The Sprayberry game was suppose to be a better game. I really appreciate the love from Miss St fans.

BulldogDX55
08-24-2013, 03:01 PM

Welcome aboard, Mr. Staley. We are glad to have you on board. We are all very excited to see your son suit up for us in the future.

smootness
08-24-2013, 04:16 PM

Haha touché, enjoyed meeting you. I'll probably be back to see another game at some point, hope Elijah has a great year!

coachcamp
08-24-2013, 04:57 PM
Same here my man.. when you come, be sure to come speak. I love to put faces with who im blogging with.
Elijah really enjoyed having you guys at the game. He wanted to stay in and put on a show for #HailState fans but Coach wouldnt let him.

EnterpriseDawg
08-24-2013, 08:16 PM
Same here my man.. when you come, be sure to come speak. I love to put faces with who im blogging with.
Elijah really enjoyed having you guys at the game. He wanted to stay in and put on a show for #HailState fans but Coach wouldnt let him.

Any chance we could get some video soon? Would love to go to one of his games, but unfortunately its not possible and I'm real anxious to see him action in Starkvegas.