PDA

View Full Version : Might be time for the SEC and Mizzou to have a talk

ShotgunDawg
07-13-2016, 03:01 PM
No doubt it was a mistake to add these guys. Embarrassing and it's getting worse. I say we should pay them a 50 mil buyout to go away.

Check out this tweet. They are currently without an AD, Chancellor, baseball coach, the basketball program is coming off probation, and enrollment has dropped 25%

https://twitter.com/sec_country_/status/753317136899121152

TrapGame
07-13-2016, 03:03 PM
I concur. Adding Mizzou was a horrible idea. There are other schools actually in the South that would be better additions in the SEC.

OlePissSux
07-13-2016, 03:05 PM
I always thought that Va Tech or Clemson would have been good additions. Now from a competitive stand point I guess you want more Va Tech than Clemson since they aren't as good as Clemson lol.

Jack Lambert
07-13-2016, 03:07 PM
I always thought that Va Tech or Clemson would have been good additions. Now from a competitive stand point I guess you want more Va Tech than Clemson since they aren't as good as Clemson lol.

I think NC State fits in better and there would not any objections from other SEC schools. Plus they are located in a big TV market.

ShotgunDawg
07-13-2016, 03:07 PM

Competitiveness should be the last worry right now. How about just a functional university with things like, you know leaders and shit

OlePissSux
07-13-2016, 03:10 PM
I think NC State fits in better and there would not any objections from other SEC schools. Plus they are located in a big TV market.

They would be a good addition as well.

maroonmania
07-13-2016, 03:13 PM
That move was strictly about adding the St. Louis and Kansas City markets for television. No other real reason to have added them over various other schools.

DownwardDawg
07-13-2016, 03:32 PM
It was a horrible idea from the get go. The embarrassing thing though is that they win the East their first 2 years in!!! Imagine if we had actually picked a good program.

Bubb Rubb
07-13-2016, 03:55 PM
It was a horrible idea from the get go. The embarrassing thing though is that they win the East their first 2 years in!!! Imagine if we had actually picked a good program.

Anybody with a pulse could've won the SEC East those years. Florida was way down, Tennessee was way down, South Carolina were always underachievers, and Georgia, the team that should've won it every year, chokes annually. If we had been in the East, we would've won it too.

HSVDawg
07-13-2016, 04:08 PM
Regardless of any of that, they still bring in TV viewers. Thats all that matters these days. Any new member has to put more into the pot than they take out, and Mizzou fits that description. Finding another team that would bring in viewers from a whole state that has a decent population is much more difficult than you would think. NC State, Virginia Tech, or one of the Oklahoma schools are the only ones that make sense. And none of them are going anywhere in the near future it would seem.

Reason2succeed
07-13-2016, 09:17 PM
Once OM gets the death penalty and booted out of the SEC we can add another program and expand the market even more. I say go all out and invite Notre Dame. If they still act like pricks then go after Virginia Tech.

Dawgowar
07-13-2016, 09:20 PM
Once OM gets the death penalty and booted out of the SEC we can add another program and expand the market even more. I say go all out and invite Notre Dame. If they still act like pricks then go after Virginia Tech.

F that! Add Tulane or Sam Houston State. I don't want the West getting one bit harder. Make them our new rival LOL.

TUSK
07-13-2016, 09:56 PM
F that! Add Tulane or Sam Houston State. I don't want the West getting one bit harder. Make them our new rival LOL.

This is the correct answer... The conference doesn't need "better" teams.... we need a couple more "Vandys"....

Behrdawg
07-13-2016, 10:15 PM
It was all about money. The SEC gained the Kansas City and St Louis television markets. That was the sole reason for adding Mizzou.

War Machine Dawg
07-13-2016, 10:51 PM
It was all about money. The SEC gained the Kansas City and St Louis television markets. That was the sole reason for adding Mizzou.

Exactly. How damn hard is it for people to understand expansion is being driven by tv? aTm gave us the Houston market & Mizzou gave us StL and KC. That's also why the next expansion will be a North Carolina school and a Virginia school. The SEC didn't put the Network Headquarters in Charlotte for no reason.

I'm all for booting Mizzou, but you've gotta have a suitable TV replacement lined up. There's no obvious replacement for Mizzou regionally.

Todd4State
07-13-2016, 11:08 PM
Mizzou simply doesn't belong in the SEC. They belong in the Big 12 or Big 10. Anyone that went to the MSU/Mizzou game knows what I am talking about.

I would kick them out- add Tulane which would give us a market in New England and New York. And it would give Vanderbilt a rival and improve us in baseball.

Todd4State
07-13-2016, 11:09 PM
Also- I thought Mizzou hired SEMO State's baseball coach? Am I wrong?

Reunion Dog
07-13-2016, 11:28 PM
Mizzou is the most liberal school in the conference. They should be in the Pac-12... go get Louisville... Perfect fit....

When the students took over a couple of years ago... should have dumped them then...

War Machine Dawg
07-13-2016, 11:34 PM
Mizzou simply doesn't belong in the SEC. They belong in the Big 12 or Big 10. Anyone that went to the MSU/Mizzou game knows what I am talking about.

I would kick them out- add Tulane which would give us a market in New England and New York. And it would give Vanderbilt a rival and improve us in baseball.

How does a perennial 3-9 team in NOLA give us a market in the Northeast? They add literally nothing we don't already have. They don't bring their CUSA/Sun Belt TV deal with them. Use your brain, man.

We added 2 of the Top 15-20 CFB TV markets by adding Mizzou. No one in the Northeast gives a damn about college sports. They're all about pro sports. If we booted Mizzou, we'd need a school in their region that brings the same TV markets. And since the formation of these new "super conferences" are being driven by TV, we aren't handing away that market because Mizzou "doesn't fit" or whatever other vague reason people complain about. If there were another viable team in their region who was a better fit and would've delivered the same TV markets, that's who the SEC would've gone after when it expanded. Adding Mizzou should tell you there wasn't another viable option that brought those markets.

HSVDawg
07-13-2016, 11:39 PM

Exactly. And for that same reason the SEC will never again go after some schools that seem to be a good fit like Clemson or FSU because those schools don't bring in any new TV revenue. They have to go into NC, Virginia, and/or Oklahoma to make that happen, and they won't take any more than one team from any of those 3 states either. That's why UNC and Duke are out because they are joined at the hip, and it is likely the Oklahoma schools are also out for the same reason. Then you also have Wake Forest which is a small school that doesn't bring much to the table. NC State seems to fit pretty well, then either Virginia or Virginia Tech also fit (but UVA has previously snubbed their nose at joining the SEC). All of those schools are locked in for at least another 5 or 6 years into the ACC's current TV deal.

At the end of the day you are only talking about a couple or maybe 3 schools that I think the SEC would even consider adding, and none of them are feasible for the next several years. That is why the Mizzou move made sense. When that round of expansion came about, the SEC landed the biggest chess piece on the board in A&M and another school in Missouri that wasn't a sexy pick, but definitely brought all the right numbers from a dollars and cents perspective. The conference coildn't be left holding the bag while the Big 10 collected the spoils of massive TV contracts and they made sure that wouldn't be the case. And probably no one benefitted more from that new arrangement than MSU.

WildDawg
07-13-2016, 11:41 PM
For the most part, STL and KC could care less about college sports. Both cities are all about their world champs baseball teams, KC about the Chiefs, and STL about their hockey team. They know they don't belong in the SEC, so they really don't put much into it.

Dawg61
07-14-2016, 08:10 AM
Mizzou ain't that bad. Is that 25% decline the would be Ferguson protestors group? Maybe Mizzou has figured out how to get rid of the shit and have nobody notice that's what they are doing.

BB30
07-14-2016, 08:24 AM
Also, LSU would not allow Tulane or the likes to be in the conference. Same for clemson (USC) and any of the Florida schools/GA Tech. It will have to be an NC or Virginia team Unless they go get an Oklahoma type. I would personally see as others have said an NC State or V tech. Both teams would bring a decent market and both would be competitive given time. I have always liked V Tech as they pretty much came out of no where for an 8-10 yr period and weren't a traditional powerhouse. Gave me hope that we could compete for championships in football given the right circumstances.

Johnson85
07-14-2016, 08:40 AM
Mizzou ain't that bad. Is that 25% decline the would be Ferguson protestors group? Maybe Mizzou has figured out how to get rid of the shit and have nobody notice that's what they are doing.

Exactly the opposite. The 25% drop in enrollment is from people horrified at how inept and morally bankrupt their leadership has been. They had a trust fund baby go on a "hunger strike" (where he still ate) because of the university's lack of a response to graffiti off campus and someone allegedly yelling a racial slur from a car. All they had to do was come out with a strong statement and instead they acted cravenly and cowered before the whiny brats. Then when they had a professor attack a student for exercising first amendment rights, their dumbass faculty issued a statement in support. Would you want to send your kids to a school like that? Think about what kind of people would they be learning from. I'm sure there are plenty of professors at MSU that are just as bad, but I'd like to think a majority of them would still be capable of functioning in the real world if it came down to it.

Mizzou needs to burn it to the ground before rebuilding. Take everybody that signed the petition in favor of a professor that not only attacked a student, but attacked a student for exercising his first amendment rights, and do whatever it takes to get rid of them. Dissolve departments if that's what's necessary to get around the tenure issues.

Maroonthirteen
07-14-2016, 08:48 AM
It is not difficult to understand at all. However it is faulty logic by all those involved to add a school just because of their region and proximity to large populations.

Would the SEC adding Syracuse, for the NYC market make the actual games more interesting? No. Adding Missouri, even though they have two large cities, added nothing as far as interesting matchups.

The SECs next move needs to be a bringing in a big time football school with national appeal. Oklahoma should be the #1 target. Ok vs Bama, UT, UF, LSu is an interesting game across the nation. That is how to get viewers.

Missouri vs (name it). Most of St Louis is watching the Cardinals or Rams.

Johnson85
07-14-2016, 08:56 AM
It is not difficult to understand at all. However it is faulty logic by all those involved to add a school just because of their region and proximity to large populations.

Would the SEC adding Syracuse, for the NYC market make the actual games more interesting? No. Adding Missouri, even though they have two large cities, added nothing as far as interesting matchups.

The SECs next move needs to be a bringing in a big time football school with national appeal. Oklahoma should be the #1 target. Ok vs Bama, UT, UF, LSu is an interesting game across the nation. That is how to get viewers.

Missouri vs (name it). Most of St Louis is watching the Cardinals or Rams.

There's a difference between zero intensity and medium intensity of a fan base. Considering the nearby population centers, Mizzou certainly doesn't bring in a lot of viewers compared to schools in the SEC footprint, which pick up a ton of sidewalk fans because of the lack of pro teams. Conferences are well aware that different schools bring different levels of interest. It's why University of Houston hasn't been a hot commodity. But outside of schools already in the SEC footprint and national brands that were not an option, Mizzou was the most attractive school available from a tv viewership perspective. NC State would have made more sense from a geographic perspective and still would have brought good tv markets, but there was the question of whether the SEC brand would allow it to surpass UNC, at least with respect to football, and it was never going to surpass NC State or Duke in basketball. Mizzou was the clear college leader in a good tv market with good recent success in football and basketball. I definitely understand the logic.

AusTexDawg
07-14-2016, 09:35 AM
They are currently without an AD, Chancellor, baseball coach, the basketball program is coming off probation, and enrollment has dropped 25%

WRT original post about the leadership vacuum in Columbia, it's amazing that the AD would leave Mizzou for the "dumpster fire" (http://sports.yahoo.com/news/apparently-mizzou-is-a-bigger-dumpster-fire-than-baylor-215302615.html?nhp=1) currently known as Baylor. Waco's not known as a garden spot during normal times (or whatever qualifies for normal there), but it would take a lot to make someone walk into the storm engulfing Baylor and its football program right now.

I definitely would've preferred VA Tech, UNC or even NC State over Mizzou during the last round of expansion.