PDA

View Full Version : Here's my problem with the media and Simmons

Todd4State
07-12-2016, 11:33 PM
They'll roast Dan, Scott, and Simmons over this incident- but when I asked Dan Wolken on twitter what he would say if Simmons turns things around what will he say? At first he ignored me. Then I baited him by asking the question again after he wrote an article saying Dan should be fired if Simmons has another incident- which even I think is over the top and I am hardly Dan Mullen's biggest fan.

His response was what is wrong with the media. It was something to effect of "why should I right about a guy "doing what he is supposed to do? Get out of here".

My response back was something to the effect of "If Simmons is the bad apple you make him out to be, shouldn't Dan get credit for turning his life around?" And honestly if Simmons stays out of trouble and has a productive career- and I at this point other than the incident have no reason to believe he wouldn't- I think that would be fair and it's what should happen assuming Simmons does stay on the up and up.

So, what we should do 3-5 years from now is hammer the media's ass if Simmon's makes it through.

Irondawg
07-13-2016, 12:35 AM
You just have to remember that all these guys make a living by stirring stuff up and then making sure they side with public opinion so they don't get canned in the process of churning up controversy. Paul made a good point when I happened to catch him on Chris Brooks show today. Every SEC team has at least one guy that was given a second chance because of some issue. Some worse than others, but nobody's roster is without someone who had issues at some point.

If domestic violence wasn't the hot topic of player offenses nothing would have been made of the incident. Nobody cares about football players with weed anymore which is why the Bama players didn't take a lot of heat. 5 years ago they would have been a bigger story.

At least it's all now water under the bridge and we can move on.

MarketingBully
07-13-2016, 02:38 AM
All I have to say is they better roast the shit out of Freeze on Thursday on the NCAA investigation. The way Ole Miss has handled it by lieing to their fans and the press is laughable. That IMO is 1000x worse then anything we ever did with our off the field incident. I also find it hypocritical they only asked good ole Butch Jones one question on their Title IX lawsuit. You guys realize Butch intervened with the police and gave his players a four hour head's up when they were going to be charged with rape which btw is illegal. But they rather go off on Mullen for his handling of Simmons. Ironically and stupidly, if we had just said that Simmons was indefinitely suspended the press wouldn't have raised as big of a stink. Which basically would have let us play him against South Alabama but would have taken the press off of us. It's the same thing that Saban and Malzhan and all those other coaches do with players that are given second chances.

msujan
07-13-2016, 03:18 AM
Which media have the guts to go after Freezer on Thursday? I don't see Murray doing it; certainly not Kellenberger nor Bonner. Maybe someone from al.com

shannondawg
07-13-2016, 07:54 AM
I'll pay Rosy's expenses if he wants to go and get after him.

mic
07-13-2016, 08:22 AM
Which media have the guts to go after Freezer on Thursday? I don't see Murray doing it; certainly not Kellenberger nor Bonner. Maybe someone from al.com

Ms Media will lob softballs at Freeze...
And there is no chance they take a question from Wolken...

It will be up to the rest to hammer this slimy bastard...

ElitedawgRecruiting
07-13-2016, 08:33 AM
My biggest issue with the media is the most athletic thing most of them have ever done was throw the ball back across the fence when it landed there accidentally during band practice. And I really don't think anyone in the media, especially the putz from the AJC, would have the guts to ask Saban or Spurrier that question and they both have taken kids with a lot worse track record then Simmons. I have had good and bad experiences with every member of the media I have come across. But if your gonna be that guy, at least be that guy all the time. I didn't particularly care for Brad Locke and Brandon Marcello but at least they were consistently jackasses. And didn't care if they got pats on the back. Some of our own media will end up dying because they beat themselves to death patting themselves on the back

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
07-13-2016, 08:35 AM
And go figure that Bruce Feldman writes a scathing article about MSU and Mullen today...his ties to ole miss and the meat market book are blinding him. He will go out of his way to paint Freeze as the victim after his press conference this week.

Coach34
07-13-2016, 08:36 AM
Kudos to Doug Gottlieb- his take on his radio show was spot on. Absolutely nailed it

I seen it dawg
07-13-2016, 08:42 AM
My biggest issue with the media is the most athletic thing most of them have ever done was throw the ball back across the fence when it landed there accidentally during band practice. And I really don't think anyone in the media, especially the putz from the AJC, would have the guts to ask Saban or Spurrier that question and they both have taken kids with a lot worse track record then Simmons. I have had good and bad experiences with every member of the media I have come across. But if your gonna be that guy, at least be that guy all the time. I didn't particularly care for Brad Locke and Brandon Marcello but at least they were consistently jackasses. And didn't care if they got pats on the back. Some of our own media will end up dying because they beat themselves to death patting themselves on the back

Ding ding ding

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
07-13-2016, 08:42 AM
Kudos to Doug Gottlieb- his take on his radio show was spot on. Absolutely nailed it

Yeah, just heard that...great perspective.

RAYn_Man
07-13-2016, 08:46 AM

Guess what....star athlete. Need more of them in the media.

smootness
07-13-2016, 08:58 AM

What did he say?

Tbonewannabe
07-13-2016, 09:49 AM
I would probably bet most of the "journalists" only watched the 10 second video and didn't even watch the whole thing. Society in general love to get pissed at anything without taking the whole thing into account.

blacklistedbully
07-13-2016, 11:30 AM
I would probably bet most of the "journalists" only watched the 10 second video and didn't even watch the whole thing. Society in general love to get pissed at anything without taking the whole thing into account.

So true. We have lived in a sound-bite world for some time now. Too many forms of instant and/or easy gratification have made it less likely your average person will put much effort into something like fact-finding or getting truly informed.

Commercecomet24
07-13-2016, 11:49 AM
Here's the real problem. Until the NCAA says any player kicked out of a member school can't transfer to any other member school there's no reason for any school to dismiss any player. The ones with talent are just gonna wind up at another school. It's funny to me that if a school keeps a kid that has an issue they get roasted by the media but if a school accepts a kid that was dismissed from another school the media acts like the kid never did anything and that school just rolls merrily along(sound like anyone we know). It's a twisted world. Anyone talented will always get multiple chances(see Lawrence Phillips) no matter how egregious or predatory their acts.

OlePissSux
07-13-2016, 11:52 AM
Meanwhile ole piss gets away with having a model citizen like Strangfella on the roster who has multiple incidents yet media doesn't question a thing.