PDA

View Full Version : Anybody got an update on Bear Wilson?

Goldendawg
07-12-2016, 07:41 PM
Last I heard he planned to play in Canada and finish school at some time. Is he playing ball anywhere professionally? I guess it has happened b4 with a horrible 40 time, but going from an invited combine participant to not even a free agent deal was very bad. Were there other issues than his speed? Heard he also had a very bad agent or "handler". Would love to hear good news about him.

MafiaDawg
07-12-2016, 07:49 PM
The news on Bear is that he made one of the dumbest draft decisions in history. Hate it for him but he's made his bed. No updates probably isn't a good thing regarding his football career.

ShotgunDawg
07-12-2016, 08:00 PM
The news on Bear is that he made one of the dumbest draft decisions in history. Hate it for him but he's made his bed. No updates probably isn't a good thing regarding his football career.

Problem is that Bear isn't a talent evaluator and didn't have proper support around him.

I can't speak to what lengths MSU's staff went to help Bear, but it seems like more could have been done. With all the scouts that are in and out of the football building on a regular basis, it's extremely difficult to believe that some of the NFL scouts weren't able give our staff or Bear any idea where he'd go in the draft.

College football really doesn't need a JR combine or anything like that because coaches have unlimited access to ask scouts what types of grades they have on their players. I know how this stuff works and just can't imagine how Bear's draft prospects were such a surprise when our staff has enormous resources to find out the truth.

Bothrops
07-12-2016, 08:06 PM
Bear could EASILY play in the NFL, he got screwed over Big Time!

ShotgunDawg
07-12-2016, 08:08 PM
Bear could EASILY play in the NFL, he got screwed over Big Time!

How so?

32 scouting departments agreed that he couldn't play in the NFL

was21
07-12-2016, 08:28 PM
whar bear nuncle..come in son

Todd4State
07-12-2016, 08:31 PM
Problem is that Bear isn't a talent evaluator and didn't have proper support around him.

I can't speak to what lengths MSU's staff went to help Bear, but it seems like more could have been done. With all the scouts that are in and out of the football building on a regular basis, it's extremely difficult to believe that some of the NFL scouts weren't able give our staff or Bear any idea where he'd go in the draft.

College football really doesn't need a JR combine or anything like that because coaches have unlimited access to ask scouts what types of grades they have on their players. I know how this stuff works and just can't imagine how Bear's draft prospects were such a surprise when our staff has enormous resources to find out the truth.

You know how it is. Sometimes people don't hear or believe the truth and they hear what they want to hear.

I seen it dawg
07-12-2016, 08:32 PM
Wouldn't work and won't work

TippyToe_Dawg
07-12-2016, 08:33 PM
Didn't the same thing happen to Kurt Warner? I'm sure there are plenty of other examples of athletes who were overlooked then had to go to Canada prior to making an NFL team. I think Doug Flute may have followed a similar path. Either way, I appreciate what Bear did for MSU and I will always wish him only the best. Just saying...

ShotgunDawg
07-12-2016, 08:41 PM
Didn't the same thing happen to Kurt Warner? I'm sure there are plenty of other examples of athletes who were overlooked then had to go to Canada prior to making an NFL team. I think Doug Flute may have followed a similar path. Either way, I appreciate what Bear did for MSU and I will always wish him only the best. Just saying...

QBs are different. There are certainly examples and exceptions but its rare

Turfdawg67
07-12-2016, 08:52 PM
QBs are different. There are certainly example and exceptions but its rare

I think Bear made the transition from HS basketball to star SEC WR w/out much effort and people were filling his head with notions that he was NFL ready. All that I've heard is that our coaches told him to come back but he thought he would make the next transition just as easy... With that said, he could but he'll have to really put forth an effort in the next year or two.

Bothrops
07-12-2016, 08:52 PM
How so?

32 scouting departments agreed that he couldn't play in the NFL

He has great hands, he's big, has reaching ability, and he's physically able to fight for the catch. He's also a weapon in the red zone. He's a different type of playmaker, that doesn't mean he brings no value to the NFL. I'll never buy their bullshit in this case.

archdog
07-12-2016, 08:54 PM
Wilson could play for an NFL team, but he and his people did not handle a single aspect of his prep correctly.

Goldendawg
07-12-2016, 10:59 PM
Back to my original post, anyone know where he is and what he is doing? I read a Joe Morrow is playing in the Indoor Football League. Anyone know which team and his stats?

Todd4State
07-12-2016, 11:13 PM
He has great hands, he's big, has reaching ability, and he's physically able to fight for the catch. He's also a weapon in the red zone. He's a different type of playmaker, that doesn't mean he brings no value to the NFL. I'll never buy their bullshit in this case.

He has the God given ability to play in the NFL. But he still has to work extremely hard to play and stay in the NFL. His 40 time at the combine was horrible and wreaked of him not working hard enough. The NFL people know that guys not working hard typically end up like Jamarcus Russell.

Leroy Jenkins
07-12-2016, 11:15 PM
Can't remember Joes team... there are a couple MS boys in his leage. Tubby and Snoop da Champ.

Todd4State
07-12-2016, 11:25 PM
Can't remember Joes team... there are a couple MS boys in his leage. Tubby and Snoop da Champ.

All they need is Tobias Singleton and CJ Johnson to sign up and then they can call themselves the Army All Americans.

PMDawg
07-13-2016, 07:36 AM

Nice Seinfeld reference...

louisvilledawg
07-13-2016, 08:14 AM
I thought bear was good enough to be drafted, but when you run a pair of 4.9 fortys and have a 28 inch vertical, it scares away people. there were lineman that were heavier and ran faster than bear at the combine. It seemed like he showed little to no prep getting ready for the biggest moment of his life. Guess he thought he could just go through the motions and make it happen. He faced a harsh reality for sure.

Tbonewannabe
07-13-2016, 09:35 AM
I thought bear was good enough to be drafted, but when you run a pair of 4.9 fortys and have a 28 inch vertical, it scares away people. there were lineman that were heavier and ran faster than bear at the combine. It seemed like he showed little to no prep getting ready for the biggest moment of his life. Guess he thought he could just go through the motions and make it happen. He faced a harsh reality for sure.

It surprised me that he didn't even get a camp invite. He had to work hard to see the field for Dan because it is well documented that Dan will leave you on the bench. Josh Robinson is a prime example of a great talent that doesn't see the field until he gets his head right and his work ethic up to par. I thought Bear would at least have a chance as a pass catching TE if he bulked up some. He is a great blocker on the outside and his positioning is outstanding. He showed very good hands at the combine that I saw. I don't know if the trainer he got with was horrible or if he thought he could coast but it was probably the worst decision of his life. I hope he gets another chance but only around 1% of football players ever make it. I really hope he does get his degree because life after football might be here sooner than he expected.

sandwolf
07-13-2016, 10:06 AM
You know how it is. Sometimes people don't hear or believe the truth and they hear what they want to hear.

Yep. If I remember correctly, Bear didn't even request a grade from the NFL....because he had made up his mind that he was going regardless of what anyone else thought.

Really Clark?
07-13-2016, 10:19 AM
Bear was going to the NFL and letting everyone know that before the season even started. It was going to take a big change of heart and mind for him to decide to stay for this year. Several insiders report this before during and after the season and that the coaches were trying to change his mind but it was going to very very difficult to do, and the coaches knew that.

maroonmania
07-13-2016, 10:41 AM
Bear was going to the NFL and letting everyone know that before the season even started. It was going to take a big change of heart and mind for him to decide to stay for this year. Several insiders report this before during and after the season and that the coaches were trying to change his mind but it was going to very very difficult to do, and the coaches knew that.

And if his measureables didn't somehow significantly improve he would have been in this same situation after his SR year. The only difference would have been that he could have competed another year for us and gotten closer (if not finishing) a college degree. Hope he doesn't totally flame out AND not end up with a college degree.

Tbonewannabe
07-13-2016, 11:27 AM
And if his measureables didn't somehow significantly improve he would have been in this same situation after his SR year. The only difference would have been that he could have competed another year for us and gotten closer (if not finishing) a college degree. Hope he doesn't totally flame out AND not end up with a college degree.

Hindsight tells us he was better off staying in school but I don't think anyone expected him to fail as hard at all the measureables the NFL uses. Another year of refining his skills might have gotten him a training camp invite or might not have. He has only played 4 years or so of football so there were things he could have improved under Gonzalez that might have made him a better football player.

Bennie Brown probably wouldn't have gotten drafted after next year and he already had his degree. There is a ticking clock on how many seasons you have in your body so I don't disagree with his decision.

blacklistedbully
07-13-2016, 11:35 AM
He has the God given ability to play in the NFL. But he still has to work extremely hard to play and stay in the NFL. His 40 time at the combine was horrible and wreaked of him not working hard enough. The NFL people know that guys not working hard typically end up like Jamarcus Russell.

reeked

maroonmania
07-13-2016, 12:16 PM
Hindsight tells us he was better off staying in school but I don't think anyone expected him to fail as hard at all the measureables the NFL uses. Another year of refining his skills might have gotten him a training camp invite or might not have. He has only played 4 years or so of football so there were things he could have improved under Gonzalez that might have made him a better football player.

Bennie Brown probably wouldn't have gotten drafted after next year and he already had his degree. There is a ticking clock on how many seasons you have in your body so I don't disagree with his decision.

Benni Brown had already been in college for 4 years with degree in hand so had no problem with his decision to move on other than he likely wasn't going to be drafted anyway so why not play another year in the SEC?

For Bear I would hope that our coaches could easily measure things like a 40 time and vertical. And if so, they should have been warning Bear every day about how those would be viewed by NFL scouts. And who knows, maybe they did.

Dawg61
07-13-2016, 12:40 PM
Bear knew his 40 time he just didn't give a shit. It's called arrogance. The same mindset he had that made him great on the field is the same mindset that got him in the situation he's in today. Sometimes your biggest strengths are also your biggest weaknesses. It's unfortunate really because he is very capable of helping an NFL team. They just can't see it. Bear is an excellent blocker and he'd outmuscle or blockout most corners in the league on the inside slant route. He's without a position right now. Not big enough to play TE although a good enough blocker to be one and too slow to play WR although strong enough and has the hands for it.

maroonmania
07-13-2016, 12:48 PM
Bear knew his 40 time he just didn't give a shit. It's called arrogance. The same mindset he had that made him great on the field is the same mindset that got him in the situation he's in today. Sometimes your biggest strengths are also your biggest weaknesses. It's unfortunate really because he is very capable of helping an NFL team. They just can't see it. Bear is an excellent blocker and he'd outmuscle or blockout most corners in the league on the inside slant route. He's without a position right now. Not big enough to play TE although a good enough blocker to be one and too slow to play WR although strong enough and has the hands for it.

Still don't understand not getting a FA contract. I mean what is the down side for an NFL team to bring Bear into camp to see what he can do on the field given how productive he was in the SEC.

OlePissSux
07-13-2016, 03:52 PM
He was ignorant to leave and received awful advice. Did not help when he got to the combine he looked like he had never played football in his life. Just ignorant decision bottom line.

Dawgcentral
07-13-2016, 03:54 PM
He was ignorant to leave and received awful advice. Did not help when he got to the combine he looked like he had never played football in his life. Just ignorant decision bottom line.

Someone please pull the switch on this idiot.

OlePissSux
07-13-2016, 04:00 PM
Some paranoid individuals round here.

Dawgcentral
07-13-2016, 04:01 PM
Know anyone here?

OlePissSux
07-13-2016, 04:04 PM
No and no one knows me but they sure can make a lot of assumptions.

Dawgcentral
07-13-2016, 04:05 PM
What can I say? You post like a troll.

Are you an adult?

OlePissSux
07-13-2016, 04:07 PM
What can I say? You post like a troll.

Are you an adult?

How do I post like a troll? I don't think you know the correct definition of a troll. I talk crap about Ole Miss because I hate them. I talk about state sports because they are awesome. Most of you here post a lot about hating ole miss and know one questions it but someone new comes on here and we are labeled.

Dawgcentral
07-13-2016, 04:11 PM
Everything you have posted is troll-like.

Elementary sounding. Reads like a 14 year old wrote it.

You need to up your game. This isn't GP.

Irondawg
07-13-2016, 04:12 PM
Still don't understand not getting a FA contract. I mean what is the down side for an NFL team to bring Bear into camp to see what he can do on the field given how productive he was in the SEC.

Only thing I can think of is that his interviews much have been awful or there is some other poison pill that made the rounds with him

OlePissSux
07-13-2016, 04:13 PM
Everything you have posted is troll-like.

Elementary sounding. Reads like a 14 year old wrote it.

You need to up your game. This isn't GP.

Cool story bro

Political Hack
07-13-2016, 04:16 PM

I did. Went as far as saying he wouldn't catch a pass in the NFL next season. He can't catch, he's slow, and he doesn't use his size to his advantage. He's got a lot to work on before he ever sees an NFL field. You can't be 6'5" and let the ball get into your body on every throw. NFL GMs want nothing to do with that. It won't help them in any way.

Tbonewannabe
07-13-2016, 04:29 PM
I did. Went as far as saying he wouldn't catch a pass in the NFL next season. He can't catch, he's slow, and he doesn't use his size to his advantage. He's got a lot to work on before he ever sees an NFL field. You can't be 6'5" and let the ball get into your body on every throw. NFL GMs want nothing to do with that. It won't help them in any way.

He really did need another year to develop as a receiver as far as route running and catching the ball with his hands at the high point. Whoever led him to that decision or didn't talk him out of it, did him a big disservice. I know it has been mentioned that the coaching staff was pretty much begging him to come back probably because they saw the writing on the wall.