PDA

View Full Version : John Pitts of Daily Journal weighs in on Mullen/Simmons

notsofarawaydawg
07-12-2016, 02:08 PM
Mullen needs to step up today

Posted on July 12, 2016 by John L. Pitts in SEC Media Days, Sports

Dan Mullen has a chance to do the right thing today, on the biggest possible stage.

The Mississippi State football coach will be in the spotlight this morning at SEC Media Days in Hoover, Alabama, and a thousand media members will be all ears.

At the start, Mullen needs to say that freshman defensive player Jeffery Simmons, a five-star prospect from Noxubee County, will not play for the Bulldogs this fall under any circumstances.

Simmons, who?s 6-foot-4 and 275 pounds, was arrested and charged in March after repeatedly hitting a woman during a family fracas. There?s a video if you want to see it ? I don?t really recommend it, but if there wasn?t a video there might not have been any charges.

As it is, Simmons is facing a court date ? twice delayed ? on charges of simple assault and disturbing the peace.

There?s nothing simple, however, about Mississippi State?s response to those charges.

As it stands, Simmons will be suspended only for the first game of his first college season ? unless he?s redshirted, that would be the Bulldogs? opener against South Alabama ? and must undergo counseling.

That?s not enough.

Simmons has the opportunity to prove himself by being a good citizen on the Starkville campus, and that should be his sole focus for the next year. Let him work out with the team like any ordinary redshirt freshman and establish that he isn?t a bigger problem waiting to happen.

Zero tolerance for further problems? Absolutely.

Take ownership

Most of all, it?s time for Mullen to own his handling of the Simmons affair. Athletics director Scott Stricklin was left to defend the decision to enroll the player when reporters saw him at the SEC?s spring meetings in May down in Florida.

Stricklin?s defense included this cringeworthy quote: ?Does five seconds of a bad decision that happened to be caught on videotape when you?re 16 or 17, does that change the trajectory of your life??

Actually, I imagine that describes quite a few people in prison right now.

These are difficult times in sports, as pro leagues and college conferences wrestle with how to handle issues such as domestic violence and sexual assaults. The firing of head coach Art Briles at Baylor over his handling of sexual abuse allegations underscores that this is the real toxic issue infecting college athletics right now.

Briles wanted to win, so he looked the other way.

If Simmons had been a transfer from another college, new SEC rules would have likely prevented him from enrolling. He?s at Mississippi State largely due to a loophole for incoming freshmen.

Today, Dan Mullen stands before the media ? and by extension, the public ? with the obligation to explain himself. The first step is to assure all of us that Jeffery Simmons never sees the playing field until his case is settled and proves himself to be worthy of the privilege of playing college football.

John L. Pitts (john.pitts@journalinc.com) is sports editor of the Journal. Follow him on Twitter @JohnLPitts

Johnson85
07-12-2016, 02:37 PM
These are difficult times in sports, as pro leagues and college conferences wrestle with how to handle issues such as domestic violence and sexual assaults. The firing of head coach Art Briles at Baylor over his handling of sexual abuse allegations underscores that this is the real toxic issue infecting college athletics right now.

Any journalist that takes a "domestic violence and sexual assault" angle to discuss the Simmons incident is either not intelligent enough or not informed enough to be able to credibly weigh in on the situation.

HoopsDawg
07-12-2016, 02:56 PM
Any journalist that takes a "domestic violence and sexual assault" angle to discuss the Simmons incident is either not intelligent enough or not informed enough to be able to credibly weigh in on the situation.

Exactly! I just said the same thing in another thread. I don't know why this is so hard for them to understand. I don't think any kids should be suspended in college for things they did in high school. Once the university decides to accept any student or student athlete, the slate should be wiped clean. I actually think the 1 game suspension was a mistake. It should have been no games.

M.Fillmore
07-12-2016, 02:59 PM
Can someone post a link to the John Pitts' editorial on Freeze signing a player involved in anal rape?
That was too much for Pedophile State, but Freeze overlooked it.

Martianlander
07-12-2016, 03:26 PM
Pitts overlooked the K brothers beating a guy severely for no apparent reason when that happened

Todd4State
07-12-2016, 03:52 PM
If Dan/MSU had suspended him for a year it would have been "it have been two years if they want to get this right" in the eyes of the media. There isn't any way to please them.

maroonmania
07-12-2016, 04:16 PM
If Simmons had been a transfer from another college, new SEC rules would have likely prevented him from enrolling. He?s at Mississippi State largely due to a loophole for incoming freshmen.

If this is even REMOTELY true then I want to know how Stringfellow got into UNM? He assaulted a woman just like Simmons and sailed right on into the Plantation. Should have been no loophole there given he didn't come out of HS unless these "new SEC rules" are so new that they've only been in effect for about a year.

LC Dawg
07-12-2016, 04:42 PM
This Pitts guy is a total idiot. He actually defends the Rebels on Twitter in regards to Stringfellow.
Next time someone writes a State bashing article I think the only comments any of us should post on social media is "If anyone wants to know what true Bulldogs think of this article they should go to Elitedawgs.com and read the thread on this article." You know it would drive them crazy to see what was said and then they'd have to check. Maybe they'll click an ad while they're here. Before you know it there would be ascot ads popping up.