PDA

View Full Version : Kyle Tucker of AJC rips Dan over Simmons

MadDawg
07-12-2016, 02:00 PM
it's on SEC Country if anyone feels like giving them a click.

Beaver
07-12-2016, 02:10 PM
Finebaum said Mullen's comments were 'incredibly stupid' Link (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=17020342&ex_cid=espnapi_internal)

MadDawg
07-12-2016, 02:13 PM
Finebaum said Mullen's comments were 'incredibly stupid' Link (http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=17020342&ex_cid=espnapi_internal)

And Finebaum knows that Alabama would have done the same thing, only with better PR. Same exact damn thing. Blow it out your ass, Finebaum.

Pollodawg
07-12-2016, 02:15 PM
Guys, we knew this was coming. But I want someone go ask Finebaum if he hates Les Miles over Jalen Mills.

mstatefan91
07-12-2016, 02:16 PM
**** them. Seriously. We soldier on

Beaver
07-12-2016, 02:17 PM
And Finebaum knows that Alabama would have done the same thing, only with better PR. Same exact damn thing. Blow it out your ass, Finebaum.

Agreed, in that clip it's like Finebaum is trying really hard to come across as angry. Like he often does, Finebaum wants to win the PR battle.

scottycameron
Mullen was dead right. That's the problem these days. Accuracy is seen as stupidity.
I feel for Mullen. In a bad spot. Reminds me of McElroy at the table last night.

smootness
Who cares, I actually thought his comment was legitimate. It may have been a little overly flippant and not well thought out, but knowing the whole situation, he probably genuinely believes his wife/daughter would not end up in a similar situation.

Basically, what he's saying without really saying it is, 'There's more to this story, this isn't a case of a guy who just decided to start beating a woman.' But the media is in the outrage business, so regardless of whether they actually care about his comments or not, there you go.

Corn Bread
07-12-2016, 02:19 PM
**** them. Seriously. We soldier on

I could care less what Finbaum and Bo Bounds thinks. Both pin heads.

maroonmania
07-12-2016, 02:20 PM
Who really cares? And why give them a click? None of this media diarrhea on Simmons means a hill of beans once games start. The only real impact would have been if we had not admitted Simmons. I would rather have the media upset with us having Simmons than be getting false pats on the back from the media with Simmons playing for a different SEC or other D1 team.

TrapGame
07-12-2016, 02:22 PM
Simmons will keep his nose clean and have a stellar career at MSU. Then be a 1st round pick.

Screw 'em.

ShotgunDawg
07-12-2016, 02:23 PM
I'm OK with it & my only hope is that they'll treat the rest of the SEC coaches the same.

I agree with the decision to keep Simmons, but I think it's also important that society holds people accountable for decisions to keep people that do things like Simmons did.

At one point in time, football coaches were divine emperors that did whatever they wanted, &, while they are still emperors, I have no problem with there being increased pressure on coaches to do the right thing & hope that that pressure leads to more accountability & more thoughtful decisions down the road.

Again, I agree with Mullen keeping Simmons, but am perfectly OK with the media raking people over the coals & holding them accountable for that decision because it's that pressure that will be a deterrent & make universities think twice about who they accept on their team & who they don't.

Bothrops
07-12-2016, 02:24 PM
I would have expected as much. Finebaum likes Ole Miss, and dislikes MSU. **** him.

TheRef
07-12-2016, 02:25 PM
If Simmons does mess up again, I'll be right out front telling Mullen to kick him off the team. I won't question it. And I have a feeling that Mullen would discipline him accordingly given the microscope will be on him even moreso than usual.

ShotgunDawg
07-12-2016, 02:25 PM
Simmons will keep his nose clean and have a stellar career at MSU. Then be a 1st round pick.

Screw 'em.

I'll be curious how this incident effects Simmons' aggressiveness on the field. That may sound crazy, but I know, if I did the same thing, I'd be scared to let my emotions & aggression ever take over again. Hopefully, he learns to compartmentalize & know how & when to turn the switch on & off

msstate7
07-12-2016, 02:26 PM
I'm OK with it & my only hope is that they'll treat the rest of the SEC coaches the same.

I agree with the decision to keep Simmons, but I think it's also important that society holds people accountable for decisions to keep people that do things like Simmons did.

At one point in time, football coaches were divine emperors that did whatever they wanted, &, while they are still emperors, I have no problem with there being increased pressure on coaches to do the right thing & hope that that pressure leads to more accountability & more thoughtful decisions down the road.

Again, I agree with Mullen keeping Simmons, but am perfectly OK with the media raking people over the coals & holding them accountable for that decision because it's that pressure that will be a deterrent & make universities think twice about who they accept on their team & who they don't.

As long as they're fair... Think they'll question freeze over the kid that sexually assaulted his team mates?

ShotgunDawg
07-12-2016, 02:29 PM
As long as they're fair... Think they'll question freeze over the kid that sexually assaulted his team mates?

Agree. As long as they are fair. They won't do with that Freeze because the story will be about the investigation & his player's sexual assault wasn't a front page story.

starkvegasdawg
07-12-2016, 02:29 PM
Jamies Winston says to 17 them all in the pu$$y.

maroonmania
07-12-2016, 02:30 PM

No, they won't ask about any of the players that have had a violent incident in their past if it wasn't captured on video.

scottycameron
07-12-2016, 02:33 PM
I'll be curious how this incident effects Simmons' aggressiveness on the field. That may sound crazy, but I know, if I did the same thing, I'd be scared to let my emotions & aggression ever take over again. Hopefully, he learns to compartmentalize & know how & when to turn the switch on & off

Newsflash, chief. He won't be lining up against any women. He can (and will) turn it loose all he needs to.

Do you know something I don't know about the future of titty IX?

BossDawg
07-12-2016, 02:33 PM
Guys, we knew this was coming. But I want someone go ask Finebaum if he hates Les Miles over Jalen Mills.

I'm seriously not understanding the hypocrisy in all of this. There isn't a coach or reporter that would've done a thing differently had they been the ones having to make a decision on Simmons. Further, I don't ever remember a coach being drilled as much as Dan over his decision regarding a questionable player. I just don't get it.

ShotgunDawg
07-12-2016, 02:42 PM
He can (and will) turn it loose all he needs to.

I hope so. I know if I lost control, I'd be hesitant when asked to go all out. I'm sure he'll figure it out. Just saying

BulldogBear
07-12-2016, 02:43 PM

Yep, I can see it now. Every time he's a tad late on the whistle in backing off after a play, TV guys gonna mention his aggression and this incident over and 17ing over again.

Taog Redloh
07-12-2016, 02:55 PM
Hahaha Finebaum being Finebaum. He was saying the opposite a few weeks ago on his show, saying it wasn't that bad. Now he gets all emotional at media days.

Drama drama drama.....it sells.

Pollodawg
07-12-2016, 03:01 PM
Hahaha Finebaum being Finebaum. He was saying the opposite a few weeks ago on his show, saying it wasn't that bad. Now he gets all emotional at media days.

Drama drama drama.....it sells.

Finebaum doesn't care a fig for any moral aspect of the equation. He wants listeners and angry callers. He's a sports shock jock. Nothing more.

Tbonewannabe
07-12-2016, 03:01 PM
There are a lot of women that would probably whip most of the guys on this board's asses. Other than it being a "woman", how many football players were in a fight in high school? I would prefer Simmons who was trying to get a bitch off his sister versus a guy who sexually assaulted young boys.

msujan
07-12-2016, 03:03 PM
The one thing they're missing the most is that the KID did this BEFORE he became a student. Wasn't on campus, wasn't even in Starkville, and he was not enrolled at MSU. Punishing for a MISDEMEANOR crime that occurred prior to enrollment would be equivalent to your boss punishing you for something you did before you ever came to work for him.

I've been a victim of abuse, so I'm not taking up for an abuser, by any means. What I saw on that video is what I call sissy slapping, not manly punches.

Tbonewannabe
07-12-2016, 03:06 PM
I also don't remember the outrage over lil kimdeechee putting a guy in intensive care. Seems like I remember that him and his brother almost killed the little white guy. That guy was probably weaker than the "woman" Simmons hit. If Simmons hits a guy to get him off his sister then it changes the whole narrative. I want to commend Simmons for his lack of sexism in the day and age. He seemed to treat all people the same regardless of sex or color.

Pollodawg
07-12-2016, 03:09 PM
And you better believe that if this had happened in Alabama or Louisiana, half of these media tough guys wouldn't have opened their mouth about it. If Saban had taken Simmons if we had backed out of his Loi, FBuam wouldn't have uttered a word against his Bossman.

ckDOG
07-12-2016, 03:18 PM
IMO, should have been a 2-3 game suspension bc it involved a woman (factoring in context here, too). However, it really is a damned if you do damned if you don't situation. Let's say we revoked his scholly and nobody picks him up (I know this wouldn't happen, but just assume for a minute). The very same journalists would then rip into Dan for denying a black kid his chance at a free education for one 10 second mistake and call him insensitive. Folks are going to rip us one way or another. Memories are short though and there will be another shiny "scandal" to distract the media in a month.

I just wish they'd ask Freeze what he thinks about their player that sexually assaulted minors and Penn State ran from. Their PR blows out of the water - that's a juicy headline as well yet they get off light on that...

Dawg-gone-dawgs
07-12-2016, 03:21 PM
Punishing for a MISDEMEANOR crime that occurred prior to enrollment would be equivalent to your boss punishing you for something you did before you ever came to work for him.

The correct analogy would be getting hired and the boss telling you that you would start next month and then you go a did something. I would think after you committed a crime that your hiring might be reconsidered.

LC Dawg
07-12-2016, 03:59 PM
We knew this would be bad when we saw the video, we knew it would be bad when we enrolled him and announced a one game suspension, and we knew it would be bad at media days. That's all over. If Simmons does what he is supposed to do it should all go away for the most part. There will always be that one ********** reporter/announcer who wants to bring it up during the season but that's usually because they don't matter and they are trying to draw some attention to themselves.
It is hard not to comment on social media at some of the things said today but I am trying real hard to just let it go. Hopefully Thursday everyone will have something else to talk about.

shannondawg
07-12-2016, 04:08 PM
Maybe we should invite Finebloom to speak at next years commencement! It seemed to work for nmu.

Reason2succeed
07-12-2016, 05:04 PM
Hey, it was a rough day with the media as we knew it would be. Who cares? Unlike a certain school that shares a geographical border with us there is no further consequence to our administrations actions. We let a kid come play that every other coach in America would have wanted had we given him the boot.

Mullen could have gone and cried about second chances and the such and the media would have still pounced but eaten that up too. I'm glad he didn't go that route. Mullen basically said a long "it is what it is".

I hope Baker gives Simmons a water boy esque speech and tells him to destroy every QB like they are these reporters.

archdog
07-12-2016, 09:31 PM
Let's say with that scenario you are the best in the nation at what you do. Then on top of that, you have the opportunity to make your boss millions of dollars. Then if he descended your employment, the guy next door could pick you up and make millions.

dawgs
07-13-2016, 08:29 AM
Hey guys, we completely ****ed up the PR aspect of this. Again. Maybe it's something with the legal part of this that we can't say anything, but we should constantly be reminding everyone that while Simmons' actions are inexcusable and he should absolutely learn not to lose control on a woman like that, he was provoked into a reaction by the woman disparaging his recently deceased nephew and attacking him cousin. I just don't know why we can never manage to handle PR better.

Also, Simmons should've been forced to take a redshirt year and meet certain expectations during that year. But that's just my opinion, and I fully recognize other programs have players who've done questionable things and haven't been suspended.

Tbonewannabe
07-13-2016, 08:53 AM
Hey guys, we completely ****ed up the PR aspect of this. Again. Maybe it's something with the legal part of this that we can't say anything, but we should constantly be reminding everyone that while Simmons' actions are inexcusable and he should absolutely learn not to lose control on a woman like that, he was provoked into a reaction by the woman disparaging his recently deceased nephew and attacking him cousin. I just don't know why we can never manage to handle PR better.

Also, Simmons should've been forced to take a redshirt year and meet certain expectations during that year. But that's just my opinion, and I fully recognize other programs have players who've done questionable things and haven't been suspended.

Would you do that for every player that got in a fight prior to enrolling? This wasn't a case of sexual assault (UM player did that on boys) or domestic violence. Simmons got in a fight trying to help his sister. He is on video punching someone to get them to stop assaulting his sister. The entire outrage on this is that person was a woman. He didn't even hit her hard enough to stop her from walking off and supposedly partying at a club that night. If Simmons had wanted to truly inflict damage then I don't think the person wouldn't have went to the hospital.

You know who did have to go to the hospital? lil kimdeechee's victim was put in the hospital because he was nearly killed from the beating that the kimdeechee brothers gave him. I don't remember them even missing a practice unless it was to visit the lawyer's office to counter sue the guy for disparaging their glorious name. Strange that I don't remember Asschaps writing a scathing article about the Beaver not cutting either one from the team. I guess Hugh let him know that they were protecting their mom or some other bullshit so the beating was justified.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
07-14-2016, 08:31 AM
So is the focus here "right or wrong" or "making millions"....Right or wrong is trumped in todays world by money and or success. Sad but true.