PDA

View Full Version : The Question Mullen Stumbled over.

ElitedawgRecruiting
07-12-2016, 01:41 PM
I will readily admit I am middle aged and don't completely understand the younger generation as well as maybe I should. Been my experience that most guys that are an ass or "that guy" on a board are normally either an ass in real life or so passive that they say stuff they don't have the balls to say in real life. Either way I thought the question about "what would you do if it was your family" was about as childish a question as I have ever heard. I am almost positive the next thing that happened was "mom will you cook 8 more fish sticks. And can BS stay over and play game cube with me?"

But since it was asked let's examine that. I mean lets talk about the situation. I have been reluctant to but why not.

First off I don't think any of us here will ever condone what happened. I don't think any of else will ever say it was right. But let's look at this from a generational stand point. I am sure there are a lot of men my age in here that will say they were told what I was taught from day one. Never ever hit a woman. And I have lived my life that way. But that also brings up this. What would you do? Can you honestly say? If that was you can you for 100% certain say you would have walked away and stayed out of it? I for one would love to think that I would have. But can I be certain? No. No more then anyone else can.

Which also brings up this point. Could anyone born in the 50's, 60's, or 70's have gone home and told there father they walked away from their sister getting pummeled and just walked away? I am not sure the beating I received at home wouldn't have been worse then what we saw on video. Again I would hope I could walk away. I would hope that you would too. But until you're in that situation with your family member then you can't say. Period.

Jack Lambert
07-12-2016, 01:47 PM
I am not at all into hitting women but there are situations I would.

1.If she is whipping your ass you better do what you need to do to get her off you.

2.If she has a gun and is going to shot you, you do what you need to do to keep her from shooting you.

3. If she hurting your wife and kids or in process of trying to kill them you break her jaw.

4. If it is night and she and someone else is breaking into your house. You knocked the shit out of her.

(If she is going to put the mans trousers on, she better be ready to use the zipper. That's the bottom line.)

Political Hack
07-12-2016, 01:51 PM
If a woman would not stop beating my wife, mother, sisters, or nieces, I would intervene without hesitation. I hope it never happens, but I am incapable of sitting there watching it. I'd hope I could do it without throwing a punch, but if do what it takes to stop it. That's the only thing I know for certain. I have no clue what happened the five minutes leading up to that video, but the SEC Commish himself said in response to questions after his opening remarks, and I'm paraphrasing here, "be careful drawing conclusions from a 10 second video clip." He apparently knows the back story and knows why charges weren't pursued. End. Of. Story.

maroonmania
07-12-2016, 02:28 PM
3. If she hurting your wife and kids or in process of trying to kill them you break her jaw.

Well not much difference in that and seeing your sister getting the crap beat out of her by someone that had already made fun of your dead relatives.

mparkerfd20
07-12-2016, 02:41 PM
I would whoop the ever loving shit out of male or female that was putting my wife or children in danger or harm. Or at a minimum do whatever it took to get my family out of harms way. End of discussion for me. Chivalry goes out the window in that regard.

BrunswickDawg
07-12-2016, 02:47 PM
No way I could walk away from that happening to my sister - and we don't even get along all that great.

HoopsDawg
07-12-2016, 02:51 PM
Not excusing the situation, but there's a big difference between "domestic violence", and what happened with Simmons. A lot of lazy, irresponsible "journalism" going on out there today. I heard a guy on XM radio comparing it to Ray Rice situation. It's NOT THE SAME THING.

Bucky Dog
07-12-2016, 02:55 PM
In most cases I, as is in the case of Simmons, he could have pulled the girls apart without punching her, no question. But, I can't say they I would understand the emotion of the moment,or if he had already attempted to pull them apart before throwing the punches. That said, I feel he had the strength to grab her and pull her off of his sister without throwing a punch.

To the point of kicking him off the team or whatever, there is history of Mullen kicking a player off for domestic violence and that should not be question. Mullen deserves some credit for that and assessing the Simmons situation from all angles.

Political Hack
07-12-2016, 03:03 PM
In most cases I, as is in the case of Simmons, he could have pulled the girls apart without punching her, no question. But, I can't say they I would understand the emotion of the moment,or if he had already attempted to pull them apart before throwing the punches. That said, I feel he had the strength to grab her and pull her off of his sister without throwing a punch.

To the point of kicking him off the team or whatever, there is history of Mullen kicking a player off for domestic violence and that should not be question. Mullen deserves some credit for that and assessing the Simmons situation from all angles.

Mullen kicked our only legit Safety off the team and cost us a few wins down the stretch without hesitation because of domestic violence.

1bigdawg
07-12-2016, 03:25 PM
Mullen kicked our only legit Safety off the team and cost us a few wins down the stretch without hesitation because of domestic violence.

Correct. We have done a terrible job with the media in this case. We should bring up the Cox thing and stress that he was keeping his sister from getting further pummeled.

Ole Miss would have turned this into a freaking positive somehow.

We have dramatically improved our video division. It is time to invest in some real pro-active public relations.

Percho
07-12-2016, 03:25 PM
I wonder if any of these people writing and speaking to this have seen the video on Facebook of the cop, black, with fist punching the woman, black, who is in handcuffs with other cops, black and white, standing around watching.

If they want something to write about, write about that.

Percho
07-12-2016, 03:30 PM

I agree with you, Also kudos to Mullen for not tooting his own horn. Don't believe all coaches would do that. Also these people writing about Simmons know about Cox. They have an agenda.

I seen it dawg
07-12-2016, 03:40 PM
This is where we should have taken a page from Freezus...."proud of him defending his family in particular his sister"

BrunswickDawg
07-12-2016, 03:42 PM
I agree with you, Also kudos to Mullen for not tooting his own horn. Don't believe all coaches would do that. Also these people writing about Simmons know about Cox. They have an agenda.

According to Dennis Dodd with CBS - he also didn't bring up an incident over the weekend where Simmons helped 3 women with a flat tire. One of a number of documented cases of Simmons' character beyond the video.

While Dan stated it in an inarticulate manner, he was spot on that his family would not be in that situation, so who is he to judge by a hypothetical? He is a rich white man, with a rich white family, that has everything possible available to him. How can he easily put himself in the shoes of a 17 year old black kid from the delta, raised in poverty (or close to it), surrounded by poverty, in a disadvantaged school, in a totally different culture? He absolutely can not. There is no conceivable way to place his family in that exact situation. None. What Dan has done - and by extension our University - is look at Simmons the person, and empathize with his situation. They took the time to get to know him, and understand what he is about - beyond 10 seconds of video - so that we as a community can help someone who actually deserves it. That is the due diligence we all deserve when we are at our weakest and lowest point and need someone to believe in us.

I seen it dawg
07-12-2016, 03:45 PM
**** what everybody thinks about how it was handled. We went farther than most schools would have in the same situation. It's over and it ain't changing so they can all **** themselves.

regdawg18
07-12-2016, 03:48 PM
Dan should have just said: "What if Jeffery Simmons was your son?"

That is the position Dan is in by keeping Simmons. This puts the emotional shoe on the other foot and forces the crazed media to think about Jeffery Simmons as a person instead of a chance to punish Baylor.

Dawg496
07-12-2016, 04:56 PM
Here's my test: If his actions would've been okay had the other party had a penis, then they are still okay.

**** feminazis and this stupid ass bullshit. I'm tired of hearing about it.

bobtail bob
07-12-2016, 05:10 PM
Really no good way for Dan to answer. They were going to nail him to the cross either way.....

Lumpy Chucklelips
07-12-2016, 08:55 PM
Dan did a really poor job of presenting what he was trying to convey. He was totally unprepared for the questions that were asked, which in my opinion could have been a lot tougher than they were. He and everyone else in the athletic dept knew, or should have known, that the topic was going to come up and he was going to get some tough questions. I'm watching the replay on SECN as I type this, and you can see how uncomfortable he was from the moment he took the podium. Which tells me he knew he was going to get questioned about it. So my question is, why was he so unprepared for them?

I don't care what everyone outside the program thinks about us, but when you know they're coming for you beforehand, why not be ready? The whole day did look bad for us, when it didn't have to be as bad as it was.

I seen it dawg
07-12-2016, 09:11 PM
Another pr fall on face. Stricklin is a marketer and average at best at that. Our athletic dept needs to get into the 21st century.

Bully13
07-13-2016, 08:39 AM
Simmons could have hurt her a lot worse than what happened. I know it was horrible and he lost his cool in the heat of the moment. from what I saw, and I could be wrong because the video was not very clear, but it looked like open handed slaps. it didn't look like his fists were clenched. again, not condoning what he did by any means. it appeared to be about 4 slaps to the head. again, I maybe wrong, just being honest about what it appeared to me from what I saw. she certainly didn't appear even dazed afterwards as it appeared she was back on her feet talking shit and pointing fingers immediately afterwards. not even close to what that NFL guy did to his girlfriend in that elevator. and that was just one punch.

please don't take this as me condoning what he did are apologizing for JS. I just think it's been too much of a one sided story from the media. ole miss let a guy transfer from the west coast after being kicked off the other team from a report of him beating a girl real bad. the only difference is there was no video of it, just the police report and the newspaper article. kind of weird that no media attention on that PA guy ole miss signed as well. not sure if the story would be delivered the same way had JS signed with bamer.

that's all

sleepy dawg
07-13-2016, 09:40 AM
I will readily admit I am middle aged and don't completely understand the younger generation as well as maybe I should. Been my experience that most guys that are an ass or "that guy" on a board are normally either an ass in real life or so passive that they say stuff they don't have the balls to say in real life. Either way I thought the question about "what would you do if it was your family" was about as childish a question as I have ever heard. I am almost positive the next thing that happened was "mom will you cook 8 more fish sticks. And can BS stay over and play game cube with me?"

But since it was asked let's examine that. I mean lets talk about the situation. I have been reluctant to but why not.

First off I don't think any of us here will ever condone what happened. I don't think any of else will ever say it was right. But let's look at this from a generational stand point. I am sure there are a lot of men my age in here that will say they were told what I was taught from day one. Never ever hit a woman. And I have lived my life that way. But that also brings up this. What would you do? Can you honestly say? If that was you can you for 100% certain say you would have walked away and stayed out of it? I for one would love to think that I would have. But can I be certain? No. No more then anyone else can.

Which also brings up this point. Could anyone born in the 50's, 60's, or 70's have gone home and told there father they walked away from their sister getting pummeled and just walked away? I am not sure the beating I received at home wouldn't have been worse then what we saw on video. Again I would hope I could walk away. I would hope that you would too. But until you're in that situation with your family member then you can't say. Period.

People over use the "it's never okay to...." phrase. I agree, it's usually not okay to hit a girl, just like it's usually not okay to hit anybody. However, I will do what I have to do to protect myself, and others, from those trying to do physical harm to me or others.

BrunswickDawg
07-13-2016, 09:48 AM
Another pr fall on face. Stricklin is a marketer and average at best at that. Our athletic dept needs to get into the 21st century.

I'd say he is a better than average marketer - but terrible at PR. There is a difference.

maroonmania
07-13-2016, 09:55 AM
Dan did a really poor job of presenting what he was trying to convey. He was totally unprepared for the questions that were asked, which in my opinion could have been a lot tougher than they were. He and everyone else in the athletic dept knew, or should have known, that the topic was going to come up and he was going to get some tough questions. I'm watching the replay on SECN as I type this, and you can see how uncomfortable he was from the moment he took the podium. Which tells me he knew he was going to get questioned about it. So my question is, why was he so unprepared for them?

I don't care what everyone outside the program thinks about us, but when you know they're coming for you beforehand, why not be ready? The whole day did look bad for us, when it didn't have to be as bad as it was.

To me this whole JS ordeal has just been blown WAY out of proportion. And the ONLY reason is because there is a video to watch which gets everyone riled up. It was a family dispute that got totally out of hand but its running the legal course and nobody involved is charged with anything other than a misdemeanor. The incident had NOTHING to do with domestic violence or sexual assault and anyone who is trying to equate this incident to those is just a moron (are you listening John Pitts and others). Now I will say that Mullen seemed woefully unprepared for questions that he had to know were coming. Is our media prep team THAT awful? For one, I understand deflecting the admittance of Simmons to the AD and President and that made perfect sense. But not even I was buying that the AD and President were the end all be all of how many games JS got suspended. I've never heard of the HC not having the final say on that unless university rules were violated which in the JS case they weren't since he was not a student yet. Also, with the question about how Mullen would have felt if that was his wife or daughter, it seems the perfect lead in would have been that "well, for one, I have full faith that my wife or daughter would not have attacked another female in the way JS's sister was attacked, but had they done so I would hope that they could have been pulled out of the situation without the need for a man having to strike them." It was obvious that a number of questions caught Mullen off guard that really shouldn't have.

Bully13
07-13-2016, 11:21 AM
To me this whole JS ordeal has just been blown WAY out of proportion. And the ONLY reason is because there is a video to watch which gets everyone riled up. It was a family dispute that got totally out of hand but its running the legal course and nobody involved is charged with anything other than a misdemeanor. The incident had NOTHING to do with domestic violence or sexual assault and anyone who is trying to equate this incident to those is just a moron (are you listening John Pitts and others). Now I will say that Mullen seemed woefully unprepared for questions that he had to know were coming. Is our media prep team THAT awful? For one, I understand deflecting the admittance of Simmons to the AD and President and that made perfect sense. But not even I was buying that the AD and President were the end all be all of how many games JS got suspended. I've never heard of the HC not having the final say on that unless university rules were violated which in the JS case they weren't since he was not a student yet. Also, with the question about how Mullen would have felt if that was his wife or daughter, it seems the perfect lead in would have been that "well, for one, I have full faith that my wife or daughter would not have attacked another female in the way JS's sister was attacked, but had they done so I would hope that they could have been pulled out of the situation without the need for a man having to strike them." It was obvious that a number of questions caught Mullen off guard that really shouldn't have.

great post maroonmania. we have no one working PR on our side. when are we going to wake the 17 up on this shit?

HoopsDawg
07-13-2016, 01:12 PM
Good post and the number mistake was dumb.

Thick
07-13-2016, 01:18 PM
I am not at all into hitting women but there are situations I would.

1.If she is whipping your ass you better do what you need to do to get her off you.

2.If she has a gun and is going to shot you, you do what you need to do to keep her from shooting you.

4. If it is night and she and someone else is breaking into your house. You knocked the shit out of her.

(If she is going to put the mans trousers on, she better be ready to use the zipper. That's the bottom line.)

EXACTLY!!! Well said!

blacklistedbully
07-13-2016, 03:06 PM
If you look at the entire video, you'll see that JS did initially try to pull the girl off his sister, as did another young man. When that didn't work, Simmons threw some punches at her. If you really look at the punches he threw, including the effect on the woman (very little). then compare how that woman's head reacts to the punches Simmon's sister threw right after that, you'd see JS was not actually hitting her hard.

One would expect JS to be able to hit a helluva lot harder than his sister! No...I think JS was trying to do what he had to to convince the woman to stop attacking his sister.

drunkernhelldawg
07-13-2016, 04:27 PM
I'm a little taken aback by the fact that many think he deserves total banishment due to this one incident. If he were older, maybe. But he's 18. His character is not set at this point. That's where we, Dan, Assistant coaches, teammates, and other fellow students come in. I like his chances.