PDA

View Full Version : Question about last win over UNM

lastmajordog
07-11-2016, 10:00 AM
What was different about the defense the last time Dogs won in OT. It seems every year against Preacher's offense..... scheme or TACKLING (LACK OF) is quite evident. The last win over UNM the Dogs seemed to stop the quick and medium crossing patterns over the middle. Stopped the run for the most part and the the bubble screens didn't seem to work well. Coach.....why have all the other years it seems the DEF is not there?....

MadDawg
07-11-2016, 10:03 AM
What was different about the defense the last time Dogs won in OT. It seems every year against Preacher's effort or scheme or TACKLING (LACK OF) is quite evident. The last win over UNM the Dogs seemed to stop the quick and medium crossing patterns over the middle. Stopped the run for the most part and the the bubble screens didn't seem to work well. Coach.....why have all the other years it seems the DEF is not there?....

Probably because they have out-talented us in two key position groups. Their WRs have been better than our secondary and their DL has been better than our OL. Won't be much different this year either.

Taog Redloh
07-11-2016, 10:06 AM
Good question, answered by variable factors. Tempo of the game for one. We grinded that 2013 game WAY down. The 2014 game we pretty grind-it-out too until we gave up that long pass and missed that tackle. Big plays, and you have to credit Ole Miss for making them.

In 2015 I think they were better than us, but not by the margin we got. The Dak fumble hurt us early, but they definitely were hitting on all cylinders and flexed their muscle to its potential that night. Can't underestimate the talent they put on the field in 2014 and 2015.

starkvegasdawg
07-11-2016, 10:14 AM
Can't underestimate the talent they put on the field in 2014 and 2015.

Best players money can buy.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
07-11-2016, 10:23 AM
why have all the other years it seems the DEF is not there?....

Defensive coordinators/coaches with their foot out the door definitely doesn't help things...

GTHOM
07-11-2016, 11:13 AM
Well when you have 2 DCs that were already on their way out and didnt care it doesnt help you. 2014 was the most pathetic coaching job I've seen from us since Croom. When you sit in a cover 2 vs Evan Engram and a team that had nothing to lose you are asking to give up big plays down the middle. We did. Last year something just wasnt right, we had kids quit the team the week of the game, the Mullen to Maryland rumors, and the fact that we turned it over a lot in the first half beat us. Plus they were ready to play give them credit. I think this years game might turn out differently than most think. Dont sleep on us in that game..

biggun
07-11-2016, 11:13 AM
In 2014, no Treadwell so Not doubling TE Engram when Sanders was hurt midway through the 1st qtr was just plain stupid and one of the worst coaching decisions these eyes have witnessed. We never adjusted and continued to put a LB on Engram who continued to torch C Holmes, B Brown, etc to the tune of 7 catches & 177 yards (had 2 drops, 1 would have been a TD).

That decision still baffles me

Jack Lambert
07-11-2016, 11:47 AM
Take back Daks fumble and the pick six in the first half we win last years game.

HailState39110
07-11-2016, 12:09 PM
Probably because they have out-talented us in two key position groups. Their WRs have been better than our secondary and their DL has been better than our OL. Won't be much different this year either.

Spot on. The 3 years Freeze has beaten MSU it has been because their DL has dominated our OL and their receivers are getting open quiet easily .unfortunately I don't think Tolando Cleveland and Cedric Jiles will be able to handle Odeboygo and Stringfellow this year . We are already showing to be +12 point dogs in the egg bowl this year . I do like our schedule this year outside of the egg . Phil Steele says we could be favored in 9 games outside of LSU,Bama,and OM .

Coach34
07-11-2016, 12:12 PM
welllllll, I'll give me viewpoint:

2014-
A) Hevesy and our OL werent prepared for what OM was doing to us upfront. We completely wasted a half trying to make adjustments and allowed them momentum. We played better in the 2nd- but they kept the pressure on by scoring and we couldnt keep up

B) We had a decent plan- but OM adjusted in the 2nd half. They got Engram loose for some big plays to gain the momentum- and the long run for the TD was the backbreaker. You cant back a team up like that and then let them go 90 on you.

2015:

A) Our OL still isnt ready to play against their slanting, active scheme. They have Hev and Crew completely mind****ed

B) Our D was absolutely terrible after we lost Redmond. Cleveland and Crew arent very good at CB. We gave up 40ppg in our last 3 SEC games

C) Clayborn helping to cause Dak's fumble on the opening drive. This is something usually coaches see that others dont. On the QB draw that Dakota fumbled on the opening drive, Clayborn was leading for him and just stopped. He was confused about where to go. Because of that hesitation, Dakota runs by him and gets hit right on the ball by the LB. Fumble. Dakota has to carry the ball and not fumble- but its little things like Clayborn's hesitation making him unable to make that block on the LB that keeps us from having bigger plays on offense. Its the little things that make you successful. Make that block- Dakota gets 10 more yards and we are rolling toward getting points.

tireddawg
07-11-2016, 12:19 PM
Ineligible receivers

GTHOM
07-11-2016, 04:02 PM
welllllll, I'll give me viewpoint:

2014-
A) Hevesy and our OL werent prepared for what OM was doing to us upfront. We completely wasted a half trying to make adjustments and allowed them momentum. We played better in the 2nd- but they kept the pressure on by scoring and we couldnt keep up

B) We had a decent plan- but OM adjusted in the 2nd half. They got Engram loose for some big plays to gain the momentum- and the long run for the TD was the backbreaker. You cant back a team up like that and then let them go 90 on you.

2015:

A) Our OL still isnt ready to play against their slanting, active scheme. They have Hev and Crew completely mind****ed

B) Our D was absolutely terrible after we lost Redmond. Cleveland and Crew arent very good at CB. We gave up 40ppg in our last 3 SEC games

C) Clayborn helping to cause Dak's fumble on the opening drive. This is something usually coaches see that others dont. On the QB draw that Dakota fumbled on the opening drive, Clayborn was leading for him and just stopped. He was confused about where to go. Because of that hesitation, Dakota runs by him and gets hit right on the ball by the LB. Fumble. Dakota has to carry the ball and not fumble- but its little things like Clayborn's hesitation making him unable to make that block on the LB that keeps us from having bigger plays on offense. Its the little things that make you successful. Make that block- Dakota gets 10 more yards and we are rolling toward getting points.

Clayborn has to find some work I agree but say what you want, the greatest player in school history in his last home game against our biggest rival cannot fumble the ball then throw a pick 6. Its not all on him a lot was wrong with our team but Dak didnt play very well until the 2nd half by then we were down and it didnt matter

Coach34
07-11-2016, 04:23 PM
Clayborn has to find some work I agree but say what you want, the greatest player in school history in his last home game against our biggest rival cannot fumble the ball then throw a pick 6. Its not all on him a lot was wrong with our team but Dak didnt play very well until the 2nd half by then we were down and it didnt matter

As I said- Dakota can't fumble that ball. But that guy doesn't hit him if Clayborn does his job. He also threw the pick 6 because he had pressure in his face. We weren't protecting him. Long story short- our OL problems lead to these mistakes with consequences. That's why the outrage at out OL recruiting is there and will do nothing but grow louder