PDA

View Full Version : Traditionally- the even numbered years are Mullen standout years

Coach34
07-10-2016, 07:23 PM
2010- 9-4 with an OT loss to UPig and a skulldragging of Michigan in a NYD Bowl

2012- 8-5 solid season...blew the bowl game vs Northwestern...but still 8 regular season wins

2014- 10-3...team ranked #1 in the country for 5 weeks and just couldnt get a critical stop vs Bama in T-Town

Why even years? We play Auburn, A&M, and UPig at home. We have won 3/4 vs Auburn and 4 straight vs UPig- altho we do struggle vs A&M. We have our somewhat gimme game with Kentucky on the road. Then you add in SC at home who is in transition- and we have the schedule for another 8-9 win season.

Can our QB play be sufficient?
Will the OL be above shitty?
Will CB play be better than it was the last 1/4 of last season which was beyond awful?
Do we find some depth at DE?
Will the WR's stay healthy because lack of depth is a killer there?
Will the new TE's perform?
Who becomes an SEC RB?

Gonna be an interesting season.

ShotgunDawg
07-10-2016, 07:36 PM
Can our QB play be sufficient? Yes. This is what Mullen do
Will the OL be above shitty? Not because of talent, but due to offensive style, yes
Will CB play be better than it was the last 1/4 of last season which was beyond awful? No
Do we find some depth at DE? Maybe
Will the WR's stay healthy because lack of depth is a killer there? Maybe
Will the new TE's perform? TE? I didn't know they were a part of our system.
Who becomes an SEC RB? Williams and Gibson

spbdawg
07-10-2016, 07:52 PM
#

DancingRabbit
07-10-2016, 08:10 PM
I think we most likely win 7 or 8, but anything between 6-9 wins would not be shocking.

Except the OL, our overall talent level is better than ever. Our completely new defensive coaching staff is a wild card but I think we'll be OK, probably better in pass D.

Our team and most of the SEC seems like Forrest Gump's box of chocolates. Should be fun.

Tbonewannabe
07-10-2016, 08:24 PM
We really need the Oline to play like big boys and gel. We need Durr to step up on one side so we only have to find one more DB. I think those 2 things happen and we have 8 or 9 wins.

RocketDawg
07-10-2016, 08:48 PM
The even-numbered years are the feast to the odd-numbered famine years.

2015 was an odd year, and we were 9-4 after the bowl. I'll take that for a famine year any time.

Reason2succeed
07-10-2016, 09:21 PM
Will QB play be sufficient? In Mullen We Trust. Yes, out of the four guys he will create something at least comparable to Chris Relf.
Will the OL be above shitty? Yes, another year of experience, more bodies, and you can't teach size and we have that.
Will CB play be better than it was the last 1/4 of last season which was beyond awful? Not Redmond good but better than Tolando Cleveland good. I suspect Durr and Smitherman are the outside starters and Cleveland plays nickel when one of the safeties is not taking over that duty.
Do we find some depth at DE? Yes, less DL on the field mean that you are playing better DL. The question is will we still be able to stop the run playing 3-3-5 and stop passing playing 3-4. It should work because of the talent of Gerri Green and Leo Lewis at LB.
Will the WR's stay healthy because lack of depth is a killer there? Yes, I trust Billy G and we have talent of the roster. They just lack experience. With the rehab of Donald Gray, Fred Ross, and the loss of Fred Brown and Bear they of a lot of work this spring. They should be ready to step in and play. I'm excited about several of our WRs other than the starters which is the first time in my life I've ever been able to say that about the WR Corp at State.
Will the new TE's perform? If allowed to. Mullen's man crush on Jordan Thomas combined with the loss of Bear should mean some red zone and goal line opportunities.
Who becomes an SEC RB? Anyone but Shumpert. Everyone complains about Holloway but I have more conniptions about Shump's inability to stay upright, find a hole, or get more than 3 yards before falling over himself. Seriously, l have seen things I like from all of the other backs.

Jack Lambert
07-10-2016, 09:49 PM
This is what I think.

1. We will not lose a home game.
2. O line will be better and we will have a much improved running game.

Todd4State
07-10-2016, 10:31 PM
I think we find a QB. I don't know who- I wouldn't be surprised if we roll with Damien Williams at least to start with but Fitz is probably our best.

I think the o-line kills us this year. If that happens it will be interesting to see if our big donors go up against Dan to get rid of Hevesy and if that does happen it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

We'll see about the corners- I bet Dan starts Giles and Tolando. He has as much a man crush on Cleveland as he does Kivon Coman. Durr should start at least at one of the spots.

I think DE will be fine depth wise. AJ and Calvin are pretty good. I'm not sure how the Viper position plays into the equation here.

I'm not worried about our WR's health as much as I am their lack of length. The guys that we do have that are over 6'2" are either very inexperienced like Jesse Jackson or just coming in out of high school- Couch, Todd, and Osirius.

I think the TE's will perform- Justin Johnson is going to be pretty good for us. I really liked Dontae Jones in high school- sounds like we may redshirt him though. Farrod Green will be solid too. I'm not sure what we'll get out of Jordan Thomas but he could surprise.

I expect the running back situation to be similar to last season. At least Dan used Holloway correctly for the most part unlike the second half of Ladarius Perkins career. I think Aeris will get some more playing time than he did last year. Moving Shumpert to H-Back could help us out some- one year too late.

preachermatt83
07-10-2016, 10:41 PM
If Damiem Williams is our QB we are in bad trouble

Engine
07-11-2016, 12:36 AM
We were awful in 2012.

Reason2succeed
07-11-2016, 01:50 AM
If Damiem Williams is our QB we are in bad trouble

If we play a QB that can't beat out Damian Williams we would still be in bad trouble. I trust Mullen to evaluate QBs. I think Fitz has a leg up on the job too but he has to show it. Whoever the team looks best with is who we should play. If that is Williams I am fine.

TUSK
07-11-2016, 03:38 AM

2012- 8-5 solid season...blew the bowl game vs Northwestern...but still 8 regular season wins

2014- 10-3...team ranked #1 in the country for 5 weeks and never had realistic chance vs Bama in T-Town

Why even years? We play Auburn, A&M, and UPig at home. We have won 3/4 vs Auburn and 4 straight vs UPig- altho we do struggle vs A&M. We have our somewhat gimme game with Kentucky on the road. Then you add in SC at home who is in transition- and we have the schedule for another 8-9 win season.

Will CB play be better than it was the last 1/4 of last season which was beyond awful?
Who becomes an SEC RB?

FIFY

Coach34
07-11-2016, 04:57 AM
FIFY

bullshit. We stop Bama on any of those big 3rd downs on that last TD drive- and we have the ball with a chance to go ahead. That's way more than a "realistic chance". But to their credit- Bama made the plays

Indndawg
07-11-2016, 06:35 AM

2014- 10-3...team ranked #1 in the country for 5 weeks and just couldnt get a critical stop vs Bama in T-Town

Who becomes an SEC RB?

and coached by someone who is a terrible recruiter. DL/DB's/LB should be better to much better. I like our new QB's and RB's plenty of upside. Special teams should be OK.
I'm just not sold on the OL being able to protect.

FISHDAWG
07-11-2016, 07:24 AM

Who becomes an SEC RB?

Nope ... you already said 6 & 6 would be overachieving ... and I tend to agree with you at this point. If we get to 8 wins - it will only be by a bowl game

Coach34
07-11-2016, 08:37 AM
Nope ... you already said 6 & 6 would be overachieving ... and I tend to agree with you at this point. If we get to 8 wins - it will only be by a bowl game

easy now- I predicted 6-6. Didn't say that was overachieving. 8 wins would be overachieving

MSUDawg99
07-11-2016, 09:34 AM

Who becomes an SEC RB?

Interesting cause those are always away Egg Bowl games too.

fishwater99
07-11-2016, 09:42 AM
easy now- I predicted 6-6. Didn't say that was overachieving. 8 wins would be overachieving

Can we beat the Bears? If we lose this year that would be 3 in a row...

Taog Redloh
07-11-2016, 09:43 AM
We were awful in 2012.

Not about how good we were. It's about our ability to achieve a good record vs. the schedule.

I agree with you by the way about us being awful in 2012. And making the point, the schedule allowed us to achieve 8 regular season wins.

Taog Redloh
07-11-2016, 09:46 AM
This is a valid point when considering that we have usually been 'average' under Mullen. So, knowing that, the schedule affected our record. However, if we ever rose up and became better than average, the odd numbered years would be our friend. Ie, if we were an above average team we should be able to handle the average teams on the road and the elite teams at home. I hope that lines up for us in 2017. It did last year but we weren't quite good enough. We were elevated about our typical resting pulse, but not good enough to beat LSU, Alabama and Ole Miss at home. Another OL or two and we likely beat LSU and aTm and we are 10-2 again.

HancockCountyDog
07-11-2016, 10:06 AM
I've changed my mind on the season, looking at schedule, with SC being in transition and KY on the road, I don't see how we win less than 7. We can't lose every game that will be considered a toss up at home. A&M, AU, Arkansas all at home?

I just think at worst we go 1-2 in those three.

So OOC - 4-0
Kentucky - 5-0
SC - 6-0
A&M/ArK/AU - 7-2
AL/LSU/OM - 7-5 (This assumes the bears still have a program by November, its 50/50)

7-5 is the floor - 10-2 is the ceiling.

Coach34
07-11-2016, 10:30 AM
I still say 6-6 until I see us play SC. They will be pretty good on D and I want to see how our offense performs. I expect them to give us some problems and make the game closer than it should be

HancockCountyDog
07-11-2016, 10:39 AM
I still say 6-6 until I see us play SC. They will be pretty good on D and I want to see how our offense performs. I expect them to give us some problems and make the game closer than it should be

According to AU people, they may actually be stuck with that little white QB that looked like he had gotten lost from the intramural fields last year. If that is the case, I think we will be favored when we play AU.

Now if this Franklin kid can actually complete a 10 yard pass, then maybe I'll get worried, but I know of AU fans already giving up on the season because Sean White may actually be there starter. Once Clemson rolls them by 20+ they will give up. AU gives up on a season better than most teams.

Tripp McNeely
07-11-2016, 11:01 AM

Watch the South Car spring game if it makes it to the SEC network over the next couple months...they will NOT be good on defense.

GTHOM
07-11-2016, 11:02 AM
[QUOTE=Coach34;581311]2010- 9-4 with an OT loss to UPig and a skulldragging of Michigan in a NYD Bowl

Who becomes an SEC RB?

Gonna be an interesting season.[/QUOTE

I think we will really be okay at corner. Jiles is good when healthy. While I agree that Cleveland, and Graham were terrible last year they will be better. Cant be any worse. Stamps is good and so is Smitherman. Just gonna have to get some experience but corner is a position where a lot of true freshman play so we will see. My biggest concern is OL and WR depth. If Ross gets hurt it gets really slim. Young guys are gonna have to play. The rest I think we will be fine. Glad to see we are above 6-6 for you now

Taog Redloh
07-11-2016, 11:05 AM

If we lose to South Carolina we've got serious problems.

TrapGame
07-11-2016, 11:05 AM
I don't think SC has the players. I thought Spurrier left the cupboard a little bare. Their offense will be pitiful. If they score more than one TD on us I'll be impressed. I think this is a 28-7 kind of game.

Taog Redloh
07-11-2016, 11:10 AM
According to AU people, they may actually be stuck with that little white QB that looked like he had gotten lost from the intramural fields last year. If that is the case, I think we will be favored when we play AU.

Now if this Franklin kid can actually complete a 10 yard pass, then maybe I'll get worried, but I know of AU fans already giving up on the season because Sean White may actually be there starter. Once Clemson rolls them by 20+ they will give up. AU gives up on a season better than most teams.

Auburn fans (and you) are stupid. Sean White was not the reason Auburn lost the games they did last year. They should have beaten Arkansas, White actually put them in that position. Auburn beat Texas A&M behind Jovon Robinson, NOT Jeremy Johnson. Check the stats. And White led them to a beat down of a damn good Memphis team too if I recall.

TrapGame
07-11-2016, 11:16 AM
Auburn fans (and you) are stupid. Sean White was not the reason Auburn lost the games they did last year. They should have beaten Arkansas, White actually put them in that position. Auburn beat Texas A&M behind Jovon Robinson, NOT Jeremy Johnson. Check the stats. And White led them to a beat down of a damn good Memphis team too if I recall.

If White is the starter he will be improved. Improved enough to beat us at home? Maybe, maybe not.

djaymsu5
07-11-2016, 11:34 AM
Will QB play be sufficient? In Mullen We Trust. Yes, out of the four guys he will create something at least comparable to Chris Relf.
Will the OL be above shitty? Yes, another year of experience, more bodies, and you can't teach size and we have that.
Will CB play be better than it was the last 1/4 of last season which was beyond awful? Not Redmond good but better than Tolando Cleveland good. I suspect Durr and Smitherman are the outside starters and Cleveland plays nickel when one of the safeties is not taking over that duty.
Do we find some depth at DE? Yes, less DL on the field mean that you are playing better DL. The question is will we still be able to stop the run playing 3-3-5 and stop passing playing 3-4. It should work because of the talent of Gerri Green and Leo Lewis at LB.
Will the WR's stay healthy because lack of depth is a killer there? Yes, I trust Billy G and we have talent of the roster. They just lack experience. With the rehab of Donald Gray, Fred Ross, and the loss of Fred Brown and Bear they of a lot of work this spring. They should be ready to step in and play. I'm excited about several of our WRs other than the starters which is the first time in my life I've ever been able to say that about the WR Corp at State.
Will the new TE's perform? If allowed to. Mullen's man crush on Jordan Thomas combined with the loss of Bear should mean some red zone and goal line opportunities.
Who becomes an SEC RB? Anyone but Shumpert. Everyone complains about Holloway but I have more conniptions about Shump's inability to stay upright, find a hole, or get more than 3 yards before falling over himself. Seriously, l have seen things I like from all of the other backs.

Holloway has shown me something the last couple of years. Progression. That kid has gotten better every year and he is a lot more confident on kick offs and things now. I used to hate us using Holloway cause he couldn't catch the damn ball but that kid will get his ass lit up and get right back up every time. He's a great asset to this team especially with the little amount of experience we have on O. I don't want him running the ball as much as he did last year but I have complete confidence in handing him the rock in any way from now own. He got A LOT better last year and he is lightening in a bottle.

Taog Redloh
07-11-2016, 11:44 AM
I don't think SC has the players. I thought Spurrier left the cupboard a little bare. Their offense will be pitiful. If they score more than one TD on us I'll be impressed. I think this is a 28-7 kind of game.

Yep. Spurrier took the cowardly way out. What's worse is that dude Shawn Elliot fell on the sword. He was a good young OC and with a little preparation, probably should have been their coach-in-waiting.

Taog Redloh
07-11-2016, 11:49 AM
If White is the starter he will be improved. Improved enough to beat us at home? Maybe, maybe not.

Yeah I'm not saying he'll make them rise or anything, just pointing out he was not the reason for their struggles. I didn't keep up with Auburn too much but it certainly seems like their talent level has diminished since Cheesedick left. Steadily decreasing record says that, but the recrootin rankings do not. If it's not recrootin it must mean that ole Gus isn't a very good developer or not a good manager in general. We know his offense is good.

msbulldog
07-11-2016, 12:40 PM
Yeah I'm not saying he'll make them rise or anything, just pointing out he was not the reason for their struggles. I didn't keep up with Auburn too much but it certainly seems like their talent level has diminished since Cheesedick left. Steadily decreasing record says that, but the recrootin rankings do not. If it's not recrootin it must mean that ole Gus isn't a very good developer or not a good manager in general. We know his offense is good.

Recruiting's gone down since Trooper left.

HancockCountyDog
07-11-2016, 12:45 PM

I don't konw why I'm arguing with someone who actually admits that he didn't follow AU that closely last year, but what the hell.

White's QB rating was 123.2. Only Patrick Towles, Johnny McCrary and Teron Harris had worse ratings and two of those guys could at least run.
Sean White threw 1 TD pass last year. ONE. Out of 143 attempts, one went for a TD. He threw 4 picks and was sacked 10 times.

Want to know how bad he was – Brandon Harris was better than him. Normally I’d stop there, but Im not sure you know who Brandon Harris is, or how he basically cost LSU a playoff spot because he couldn’t complete a 20 yard post pattern.

On top of White’s just awfulness in passing, he was even a worse runner. He ran the ball 30 times for 35 yards with 0 TD’s.

So, he can’t throw it, but he makes up for it by not being able to run it. In the 7 games he played, AU went 3-4, with big time wins against San Jose State, Kentucky, and a monster 8-13, with 2 picks, performance against Memphis.

So yeah, if AU has to play Sean White more this year, they are screwed. I watched almost all of their games, he is awful. Gus’ offense requires a mobile QB. Sean White can’t run. Problem is that he can’t throw either.
If you give AU Nick Marshall last year, they would have been a real problem. Their defense started playing much better towards the end of the year, they just didn’t have a QB. Problem is for them, they still don’t.

Coach34
07-11-2016, 12:56 PM
If we lose to South Carolina we've got serious problems.

I dont think we will lose to them- but Boom is a good defensive coach and they have 7-8 starters returning on D. Could see them giving an inexperienced QB some trouble and baiting him into some turnovers

TUSK
07-11-2016, 01:00 PM
bullshit. We stop Bama on any of those big 3rd downs on that last TD drive- and we have the ball with a chance to go ahead. That's way more than a "realistic chance". But to their credit- Bama made the plays

Oh, I misunderstood... I thought you were suggesting MSU actually had the ball with a chance to take the lead... that didn't happen beyond the 1st (I think)...

I agree, then... had yall been able to stop Alabama from converting 3rd downs, shut them out the remainder of the game, not have Mullen be so conservative, and gotten the ball with less than a 2 score lead yall definitely would have had a realistic chance to drive for a TD to take the lead.

Coach34
07-11-2016, 01:04 PM
Oh, I misunderstood... I thought you were suggesting MSU actually had the ball with a chance to take the lead... that didn't happen beyond the 1st (I think)...

I agree, then... had yall been able to stop Alabama from converting 3rd downs, shut them out the remainder of the game, not have Mullen be so conservative, and gotten the ball with less than a 2 score lead yall definitely would have had a realistic chance to drive for a TD to take the lead.

We were within one score in the 4th Q twice

We had Bammer 3rd and 8 and then 3rd and 10...your QB scrambled to pick up both to stretch the lead out. We get a stop there and we have the ball to take the lead. It's not real hard to figure out unless you mow grass for a living that we were in the game and could have won it

HoopsDawg
07-11-2016, 01:07 PM

Wow, really?

TUSK
07-11-2016, 01:09 PM
We were within one score in the 4th Q twice

We had Bammer 3rd and 8 and then 3rd and 10...your QB scrambled to pick up both to stretch the lead out. We get a stop there and we have the ball to take the lead. It's not real hard to figure out unless you mow grass for a living that we were in the game and could have won it

I think I missed your point.. I meant possess the ball with a chance to take the lead... my bad.

And why you cracking on our country's hard working landscaping artists?*

Ifyouonlyknew
07-11-2016, 01:10 PM
8-4

Engine
07-11-2016, 07:02 PM
8-4

Maybe if AJ had come like you said he would.

I just want to see us be INAGINATIVE with our offensive personnel and play with a reckless abandon on D, bringing the pain.

BiscuitEater
07-11-2016, 08:17 PM
Traditionally- the even numbered years are Mullen standout years

I posted roughly the same quote last April .. after the spring game. It was contrary to your "we will be lucky to win 6 games in '16" post.

Glad to see you starting to come around!