PDA

View Full Version : Diamond formation

dogshiek
07-10-2016, 08:15 AM
Is the diamond formation the answer to our running game? We have some bruising and speedy backs with an unproven line. Could that extra back help get to the edge or road grade up the middle? I do know we tinkered with it a couple of years ago. Ready for some dawg ball!!!:cool:

confucius say
07-10-2016, 08:19 AM
It could help maybe, but the answer (and the question) to our running game is finding 5 good ol

msstate7
07-10-2016, 08:43 AM
Wonder if we ran this formation with shump and a te as the upbacks if it would help our oline out blocking

Bothrops
07-10-2016, 10:26 AM
Wonder if we ran this formation with shump and a te as the upbacks if it would help our oline out blocking

I always liked the idea of Shump in this role.

Todd4State
07-10-2016, 11:20 AM

You know your o-line is bad when putting a FB improves it.

GTHOM
07-10-2016, 12:26 PM
We have the RBs for it no doubt. And a QB that can run it. I think people are seriously sleeping on Fitz being able to run the ball. He can tote it. I'd love to see it come back with the whole 09-11 Mullen offense

msstate7
07-10-2016, 12:31 PM
We have the RBs for it no doubt. And a QB that can run it. I think people are seriously sleeping on Fitz being able to run the ball. He can tote it. I'd love to see it come back with the whole 09-11 Mullen offense

I don't think fitz can be as punishing as relf. I do think fitz can hit the long runs though. Just not sold he can move the chains on 3rd and short

GTHOM
07-10-2016, 03:15 PM
I don't think fitz can be as punishing as relf. I do think fitz can hit the long runs though. Just not sold he can move the chains on 3rd and short

He's bigger than Relf and Dak. Faster too

smootness
07-10-2016, 04:58 PM

I agree with him, though. I'm not sure he has the strength those two had.

Barking 13
07-10-2016, 06:03 PM

Wonder what they are doing this summer and what they'll look like at showtime...... if any of them progress like Dak did in the weightroom, we could have a three / four headed monster, but my guess is that it'll be Fitz.

dogshiek
07-10-2016, 06:05 PM
We've got to find a running game this year to protect our qb. Seems to me, play action will be our best friend.

GTHOM
07-10-2016, 06:18 PM

As long as Dan doesnt call Fitz up the middle religiously we will be fine regardless. He is plenty capable of running the ball like those 2

RiverCityDawg
07-10-2016, 06:37 PM

Not saying Fitz is small, but you're confusing "taller" and "bigger". Relf was 6-4 240 and Dak 6-2 230. Both thicker and stronger than Fitz who was listed at 6-5 227 last year. Agree that Fitz looks faster than both of them. He can break some tackles and get some tough yards, but he is not as brusing as Dak and Relf (yet, at least).

GTHOM
07-10-2016, 06:43 PM
Not saying Fitz is small, but you're confusing "taller" and "bigger". Relf was 6-4 240 and Dak 6-2 230. Both thicker and stronger than Fitz who was listed at 6-5 227 last year. Agree that Fitz looks faster than both of them. He can break some tackles and get some tough yards, but he is not as brusing as Dak and Relf (yet, at least).

So Fitz is 3 pounds lighter than Dak in July of his sophomore season. I think he'll be okay. As I said hes plenty good enough to do what we need. We dont need to run him like we did Dak anyway. I wanna see a real read option come back not pre determined im scared to get my QB hurt option

Dawgcentral
07-10-2016, 06:51 PM
Relf sure had some leg strength in addition to that long stride. It was deceptive as hell when he got in the open field. Have to wonder if Croom would have ever had him run the option.

I've advocated that diamond formation for years on here, as has Cadaver. I think I saw us line up in it once last year, with little or no success. Feel free to check me on that though.

It'd be unique to have two running QBs in that formation, with a RB as well as Malik back there. I think DM was asked that question a couple of years ago and said something about getting two QBs injured on the same play. Makes sense, but what the hell. We've got 4 eligible.

RiverCityDawg
07-10-2016, 06:57 PM
So Fitz is 3 pounds lighter than Dak in July of his sophomore season. I think he'll be okay. As I said hes plenty good enough to do what we need. We dont need to run him like we did Dak anyway. I wanna see a real read option come back not pre determined im scared to get my QB hurt option

And three inches taller. I agree he'll be okay, just saying that he isn't "bigger" as a reason he'll be the same type of runner as the other two guys.

I'd like to see more true read option this year too. I think we'll need (and see) more running from the QB this year than last.

GTHOM
07-10-2016, 07:03 PM
And three inches taller. I agree he'll be okay, just saying that he isn't "bigger" as a reason he'll be the same type of runner as the other two guys.

I'd like to see more true read option this year too. I think we'll need (and see) more running from the QB this year than last.

And the old Anthony Dixon, Vick Ballard counter play would be great too

RiverCityDawg
07-10-2016, 07:06 PM
And the old Anthony Dixon, Vick Ballard counter play would be great too

Yes, please! Assuming the O line can block it up.