PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Question - Will Stokes

Count Istvan Teleky
07-06-2016, 01:01 PM
Can anybody tell me the story on Will Stokes who just finished his sophmore season at Ole Miss? His brother, Wes, was on State's team in recent years - I want to say he was on the team when Will committed and signed with Ole Miss.

Did we pursue him? He's put up some good numbers at Ole Miss. 30 appearances this year, something like 45 innings, 40 Ks. Heir apparent to the closer's role this upcoming season (IMO).

Curious more than anything.

Todd4State
07-06-2016, 01:41 PM
We did offer him. Butch slow played him some which was a mistake and Ole Miss also offered more scholarship money if I remember correctly. That was the offseason we went to Omaha and Butch was kind of tied up with things.

djaymsu5
07-06-2016, 02:00 PM
Can anybody tell me the story on Will Stokes who just finished his sophmore season at Ole Miss? His brother, Wes, was on State's team in recent years - I want to say he was on the team when Will committed and signed with Ole Miss.

Did we pursue him? He's put up some good numbers at Ole Miss. 30 appearances this year, something like 45 innings, 40 Ks. Heir apparent to the closer's role this upcoming season (IMO).

Curious more than anything.

Wes is one of my good friends and we played highschool ball and college ball together at MCC. One reason was because of MSU slow playing Will and another reason was because Wes never got the chance to play in his 2 years a walk-on and it pissed his parents off. They were lifelong state fans and had chair back seats for as long as we were kids. It pissed Wills parents off that they didn't really pursue him and they felt it was because Wes never really did anything. They weren't fond of Cohen after the way Wes was treated and so they just switched to OM. Wes is still a state fan btw but the rest of the fam converted.

Big4Dawg
07-06-2016, 02:02 PM
They weren't fond of Cohen because their son wasn't good enough to play? Sounds like butt hurt to me.

djaymsu5
07-06-2016, 02:43 PM
They weren't fond of Cohen because their son wasn't good enough to play? Sounds like butt hurt to me.

That's basically what it was. I wouldn't tell them to their face but that's how some parents are. I'm sure you have seen it. Will was always projected to be better than Wes even though Wes is a lot bigger and has more of a tight end football body. Wes's problem was his fastball was very flat and his curve ball was just ok. That's really the only two pitches he could locate well. That doesn't help you much in the SEC.

Backspin
07-07-2016, 09:09 AM
Will was offered by Cliff Godwin (Ole Miss) right after he hit 94 and pitched well at the Jr Sunbelt. The family waited 3 weeks for MSU to offer and committed to OM in early July of '13. The family got real frustrated at Cohen, not Butch. Will had been sitting in the low 90s at West Lauderdale for over a year. Will would have a been a plus pitcher for MSU and certainly a need in '17 when the staff will have to rely on some inexperience.

I seen it dawg
07-07-2016, 10:46 AM
Our pitching staff will be fine Cochise