PDA

View Full Version : Looks like we will be a homecoming game this season.

Jack Lambert
07-06-2016, 08:00 AM
http://byucougars.com/schedule/m-football/2016

Reason2succeed
07-06-2016, 08:07 AM
Small schools like to schedule their hardest home game as homecoming to ensure a big crowd. They hope for a boost in attendance and a home team advantage. Also, if they win more people were there. With that said RTGDFB and we shouldn't have any problems with them.

Jacksondevildog
07-06-2016, 08:59 AM
Well, if that's the case, I expect Fitzgerald to sling it 45 times.

TaleofTwoDogs
07-06-2016, 09:12 AM
"Small schools"??? I hope you're not talking about BYU. They have an on campus enrollment of over 30,000. Their 2015 home attendance average was about 59K (65K capacity). They have a proud football history and I don't think they need homecoming to get a home advantage against a SEC team. Until proven otherwise, we don't have the OL to just RTGDFB on anybody at this point. Hopefully, we will play like it's 2000 and take care of business in Provo.

TrapGame
07-06-2016, 09:40 AM
This might be a close game the first half. But in the second half our depth and athleticism takes over and we jump out with a comfortable lead going into the 4th. BYU will be up for this game and we'll have to weather the storm the first half and not do anything stupid like turn the ball over four times.

West Houston Dog
07-06-2016, 09:49 AM
That last BYu game at MSU(2001?) was the worst biased officiated football game i have ever seen. Their conference officials were NOT going to let their conference team lose. Jackie Sherrill was livid after the game as i remember.....(as were we Bulldog fans)......

Reason2succeed
07-06-2016, 09:52 AM
"Small schools"??? I hope you're not talking about BYU. They have an on campus enrollment of over 30,000. Their 2015 home attendance average was about 59K (65K capacity). They have a proud football history and I don't think they need homecoming to get a home advantage against a SEC team. Until proven otherwise, we don't have the OL to just RTGDFB on anybody at this point. Hopefully, we will play like it's 2000 and take care of business in Provo.

I'm not talking about enrollment. I'm talking about their current football profile. Yeah, I know they used to be good but they are not who they used to be. They are basically a mountain west team of 25 year old men.

RocketDawg
07-06-2016, 09:52 AM
That last BYu game at MSU(2001?) was the worst biased officiated football game i have ever seen. Their conference officials were NOT going to let their conference team lose. Jackie Sherrill was livid after the game as i remember.....(as were we Bulldog fans)......

It was by far the worst officiated game I've ever seen. They were ripping our jerseys off and weren't getting called for holding. Jackie had a right to be livid. Usually over the course of the game we'll get a few calls that we complain about (as does the opposing team) but this was a constant thing throughout the game.

RocketDawg
07-06-2016, 09:54 AM
I'm not talking about enrollment. I'm talking about their current football profile. Yeah, I know they used to be good but they are not who they used to be. They are basically a mountain west team of 25 year old men.

Read somewhere just this morning that BYU is wanting to join a Power 5 conference. I thought they relished their independent status. Getting out of the Mountain West was probably a good move though.

Bothrops
07-06-2016, 09:54 AM
BYU is definitely no small school, and is traditionally better than a bunch of P-5 programs.

Dawgology
07-06-2016, 09:58 AM
It was by far the worst officiated game I've ever seen. They were ripping our jerseys off and weren't getting called for holding. Jackie had a right to be livid. Usually over the course of the game we'll get a few calls that we complain about (as does the opposing team) but this was a constant thing throughout the game.

I remember that game well. I had an epic meltdown in the stands over that bullcrap.

Maroon Blood
07-06-2016, 10:02 AM

"He's holding! He's holding!"

mcain31
07-06-2016, 10:08 AM
I wouldn't consider them a small school. They will have a lot on the field that will want to get a win against a SEC team. We will have to pressure them a lot on defense.

AusTexDawg
07-06-2016, 10:10 AM
Read somewhere just this morning that BYU is wanting to join a Power 5 conference. I thought they relished their independent status. Getting out of the Mountain West was probably a good move though.

From some things I've read, independence made scheduling way more difficult than they figured. Just look at their schedule this year - in the first 7 games, they play 3 Pac-12, and 1 each from SEC, Big XII and Big Ten with all of the Group teams on the back end of the schedule. Also, I think it dawned on them that they play too many cupcakes to get into the playoff even if they go undefeated.

Before he left, Bronco Mendenhall was pushing really hard to get their football team in a conference. They had their hopes set on the Big XII, but it looks like that ship has sailed.

War Machine Dawg
07-06-2016, 11:14 AM

One of their OL took a swing at Conor Stephens and didn't even get flagged. The Kang absolutely flipped out after that bullshit. As he should have. I remember him mentioning it in his postgame, saying they'd seen the guy do it several times on film and had alerted the officiating crew to be looking for it. He was really pissed that there were no repercussions for it. If ever there were a game that was flat stolen by officials, it was that one.

drunkernhelldawg
07-06-2016, 11:22 AM
Another thing about it is the elevation. I believe that's what got us when we lost to Colorado State in basketball in the 1990's. Our players won't be used to it while theirs will be. Both BYU and Colorado State are between 4500-5000 feet. Hopefully, we can sub enough to keep everybody at full speed.

Tripp McNeely
07-06-2016, 11:37 AM
This might be a close game the first half. But in the second half our depth and athleticism takes over and we jump out with a comfortable lead going into the 4th. BYU will be up for this game and we'll have to weather the storm the first half and not do anything stupid like turn the ball over four times.

watched a replay of their game v. Mizzou last year...unless they have markedly improved year-over-year, we win that one by 2 TDs.

PMDawg
07-06-2016, 12:00 PM

+1

PMDawg
07-06-2016, 12:01 PM

+1

TrapGame
07-06-2016, 12:24 PM
watched a replay of their game v. Mizzou last year...unless they have markedly improved year-over-year, we win that one by 2 TDs.

I agree, but they will be pumped for this game. They just don't have the horses to go 4 quarters against us.

Dallas_Dawg
07-06-2016, 12:26 PM
One of their OL took a swing at Conor Stephens and didn't even get flagged. The Kang absolutely flipped out after that bullshit. As he should have. I remember him mentioning it in his postgame, saying they'd seen the guy do it several times on film and had alerted the officiating crew to be looking for it. He was really pissed that there were no repercussions for it. If ever there were a game that was flat stolen by officials, it was that one.

I remember a BYU fan called in the Jackie Sherrill Show and got cut off about halfway into saying to JWS, "would you like some cheese with that whine?" Jack said, "sounds like a BYU fan called in"

RocketDawg
07-06-2016, 12:35 PM
I agree, but they will be pumped for this game. They just don't have the horses to go 4 quarters against us.

We're the ones who should be pumped, given the blatant officiating bias of the last game, even though it was 15 years ago.

Presumably we'll take SEC officials when we play in Provo, and they'll bring their own (independent?) officials when they play the following year in Starkville. Let's hope the favoritism isn't evident in either game.

RocketDawg
07-06-2016, 12:36 PM
I remember a BYU fan called in the Jackie Sherrill Show and got cut off about halfway into saying to JWS, "would you like some cheese with that whine?" Jack said, "sounds like a BYU fan called in"

Did Jackie get fined for publicly complaining about officials' calls? I just can't remember.

TUSK
07-06-2016, 12:51 PM
Check out where they play the SHORT week before you cats....

yall should whack them....

Jack Lambert
07-06-2016, 01:11 PM
We're the ones who should be pumped, given the blatant officiating bias of the last game, even though it was 15 years ago.

Presumably we'll take SEC officials when we play in Provo, and they'll bring their own (independent?) officials when they play the following year in Starkville. Let's hope the favoritism isn't evident in either game.

I think they use P-5 refs from the different conferences.

DawgNamedScuba
07-06-2016, 01:37 PM
I'm curious if our boys are working out with altitude mask just to prep for this game early.

Jack Lambert
07-06-2016, 01:44 PM
I'm curious if our boys are working out with altitude mask just to prep for this game early.

I have been to Provo several times and in the valley where the football stadium is located it's not too bad.

Mjoelner34
07-06-2016, 01:48 PM
Did Jackie get fined for publicly complaining about officials' calls? I just can't remember.

He probably did because I remember listening to the post-game radio show and Jackie started it off with a statement. He said (paraphrasing here since it was so long ago), "I've coached a lot of years which means I've won a lot of games and I've lost a lot of games but tonight I can say is the first time I've ever had a game taken from me."

Like someone earlier in the thread said, there are calls every game that get you ticked off but that night was ridiculous. I used to exit the stadium at the SW corner and the van for the refs would be there ready to pull out with a few cops standing around. Even after a 45-0 victory there'd still be 3 or 4 fans there giving them hell as they loaded into the van. On this particular night, there was almost a riot and cops were just about locking arms to keep people back but I still saw cups of liquid and other stuff thrown at them.

My dad, who was a high school referee and a staunch defender of referees at all levels, was so pissed off at what happened to us that night that he could hardly talk to me on the phone after the game.

parabrave
07-06-2016, 02:02 PM

I remember that guy. He would call in to every post game show after that game and just be an asshat.

TUSK
07-06-2016, 02:03 PM
I've heard a great deal from ya'll about this game (BYU@MSU '01), but haven't seen it...

Can ya'll tell me what part/quarter was the most egregious so I don't have to sit through the whole thing?

Jack Lambert
07-06-2016, 02:13 PM
I've heard a great deal from ya'll about this game (BYU@MSU '01), but haven't seen it...

Can ya'll tell me what part/quarter was the most egregious so I don't have to sit through the whole thing?

You could pick any of the four and be 100% right. If they could have figured out a way to **** the band at half they would have.

They did have a real good running back who broke his ankle during the game.

I still place some of the blame on Osama bin Laden for the lost.

TaleofTwoDogs
07-06-2016, 02:54 PM
I have been to Provo several times and in the valley where the football stadium is located it's not too bad.

Agreed. I was there for the 2000 game and it was fine and the Dawgs kicked ass for 4 quarters.

TrapGame
07-06-2016, 03:05 PM
Agreed. I was there for the 2000 game and it was fine and the Dawgs kicked ass for 4 quarters.

Josh Morgan killed that QB for 4 quarters. I bet he had nightmares for weeks after that game.

Tbonewannabe
07-06-2016, 03:32 PM
The refs from the Mountain West weren't going to let their undefeated BYU team lose to a SEC school. The hilarious thing was Hawaii beat them the next week to end their season with 1 loss. Even though they dicked us over, they ended up not getting a shot at a National Title.

RocketDawg
07-06-2016, 04:41 PM
Check out where they play the SHORT week before you cats....

yall should whack them....

Interesting and tough schedule. Does everybody play UMass next year??

Bully13
07-06-2016, 05:27 PM
I remember watching the game and being pissed at the refs. Does anybody remember the specific 17ings that night?

RocketDawg
07-06-2016, 06:27 PM
I remember watching the game and being pissed at the refs. Does anybody remember the specific 17ings that night?

I think it was mostly blatant defensive holding on their part on our receivers. They literally were grabbing jerseys and hanging on. And I don't think a single incident was called.

Mutt the Hoople
07-07-2016, 12:37 AM
Every time our wide receivers flipped the ball into the air, the mwc refs would call a personal foul.