PDA

View Full Version : BMac is making us proud in Houston

Reason2succeed
07-05-2016, 02:10 PM
http://m.chron.com/sports/texans/article/Mike-Vrabel-expects-a-lot-of-growth-from-Texans-8341297.php

I'm also a Texans fan. I'm glad to have McKinney on the team. Now if we could just get our offense together we could make a run.

louisvilledawg
07-05-2016, 02:19 PM
Think the offense will be just fine with Lamar Miller, nuk, osweiler, and company. Hopefully will fuller is as good as advertised and Braxton Miller develops into a serviceable option. I like Jaelen Strong as well.

Reason2succeed
07-05-2016, 02:32 PM
They say that in shorts and shirts Will Fuller looks like the real deal. Let's see what happens when pads are on. If he learns from Nuk and lives up to his draft position the WRs for the Texans will be hard to cover. Also Braxton Miller is just a straight up athlete. Osweiller just needs to distribute the ball and manage the game this year.

War Machine Dawg
07-05-2016, 04:40 PM
Still think we should've taken Dak in the 3rd as Osweiler insurance. He had a good stretch of games in Denver last season, but how many times does this backup-turned-starter thing actually work out? We hit big on Matt Schaub. That Rogers guy in Green Bay turned out ok. Kaepernick has been decent. Going a little further back, Matt Hasselbeck worked out. Jake Delhomme was good. But that's about it. Mallet was a disaster. Matt Cassell was a bust.

There have just been way too many times where the backup was terrible as a starter. You can survive a year or two if Osweiler sucks, provided you have a backup plan like Dak in place. But if Osweiler busts, we're looking for another QB who likely won't be ready to step in immediately in just 2-3 years. Doesn't make sense to me to not have some insurance in place.

I think Braxton Miller might wind up being better than Fuller. Fuller is fast, but that's about it. But if he could be our Ted Ginn Jr., I'd be ok with that. He'd at least be enough of a threat in that scenario to take some of the double teams away from Hopkins. My biggest concern is still the OL. It needs some upgrading.

Reason2succeed
07-05-2016, 05:52 PM
After watching Pernell McPhee on another thread I watch this on Osweiller. It made me feel better about him.

https://youtu.be/XBs3zEwnmJM

I would have loved to have had Dak too if for no other reason than to keep that dang star off of him.
Speed kills and all of the New aquisitions for the Texans have speed. What they do with it is anyone's guess.

TXDawg
07-05-2016, 08:53 PM
I wish we'd have picked him up too. I hate him having to wear that stupid star.

JohnnyQuid
07-05-2016, 10:20 PM
Still think we should've taken Dak in the 3rd as Osweiler insurance. He had a good stretch of games in Denver last season, but how many times does this backup-turned-starter thing actually work out? We hit big on Matt Schaub. That Rogers guy in Green Bay turned out ok. Kaepernick has been decent. Going a little further back, Matt Hasselbeck worked out. Jake Delhomme was good. But that's about it. Mallet was a disaster. Matt Cassell was a bust.

There have just been way too many times where the backup was terrible as a starter. You can survive a year or two if Osweiler sucks, provided you have a backup plan like Dak in place. But if Osweiler busts, we're looking for another QB who likely won't be ready to step in immediately in just 2-3 years. Doesn't make sense to me to not have some insurance in place.

I think Braxton Miller might wind up being better than Fuller. Fuller is fast, but that's about it. But if he could be our Ted Ginn Jr., I'd be ok with that. He'd at least be enough of a threat in that scenario to take some of the double teams away from Hopkins. My biggest concern is still the OL. It needs some upgrading.

dunno if rodgers* fits the backup turned miracle starter - he was all but groomed by green bay behind Favre with no pressure for 3 years. to me that's how a young QB needs to be brought up and chance to be successful goes up greatly.

I'm glad dak got drafted by a team with a starter cemented in place - he needs the work and experience. I'd expect dak would tell you himself he's not ready to step in as a day 1 nfl starting qb... could be wrong tho.

War Machine Dawg
07-06-2016, 02:27 AM
I wish we'd have picked him up too. I hate him having to wear that stupid star.

I'm hoping he winds up being the best QB in the League on teams that finish 4-8, then he'll leave for a contender as a major FA signing.

War Machine Dawg
07-06-2016, 02:32 AM
dunno if rodgers* fits the backup turned miracle starter - he was all but groomed by green bay behind Favre with no pressure for 3 years. to me that's how a young QB needs to be brought up and chance to be successful goes up greatly.

I'm glad dak got drafted by a team with a starter cemented in place - he needs the work and experience. I'd expect dak would tell you himself he's not ready to step in as a day 1 nfl starting qb... could be wrong tho.

I think we're a little cross-wired on what I was saying. Essentially, I agree that Dak needs 1-2 years to get ready. That coincides with the 1-2 years Osweiler will be our starter. If Osweiler winds up sucking, we have Dak ready to step in and take over at that point. It's not really any different than sitting behind Romo in Dallas for the next 1 or 2 years.

The difference for me as a Texans fan is that if Osweiler is a bust, then we don't have anyone groomed and ready to go 1-2 years down the road. That means we'll be drafting a QB, who will likely still need to sit another 1-2 years. That means we're 3-4 years out from having a QB instead of suffering through Osweiler 1-2 then plugging in Dak. Dunno if I'm explaining this worth a damn or not.

archdog
07-06-2016, 01:01 PM
Tom Brady turned out pretty good.

archdog
07-06-2016, 01:02 PM
I'm hoping he winds up being the best QB in the League on teams that finish 4-8, then he'll leave for a contender as a major FA signing.

To the Browns? I would rather him be the best on a 13-3 team with a superbowl appearance personally.