PDA

View Full Version : MLB draft '17

msstate7
07-04-2016, 12:16 AM
I was looking to see if we had any listed as top guys and noticed Jesse McCord as #74 on this list. How did we not keep this kid in maroon and white?

http://www.mlbprospectguide.com/2015/02/2017-mlb-draft-top-prospects.html?m=1

Todd4State
07-04-2016, 01:15 AM
That list is two years old. And actually not all that bad given the time it was written.

McCord had an arm injury and he went to JUCO and now he is at I believe a directional Alabama school- I want to say Samford? Unfortunately he is a bust. Butch had a chance to bring him to Auburn with him and didn't so that tells me a lot.

msstate7
07-04-2016, 01:26 AM
That list is two years old. And actually not all that bad given the time it was written.

McCord had an arm injury and he went to JUCO and now he is at I believe a directional Alabama school- I want to say Samford? Unfortunately he is a bust. Butch had a chance to bring him to Auburn with him and didn't so that tells me a lot.

I was wondering why tanner houck wasn't on the list. I'm an idiot. Carry on

Todd4State
07-04-2016, 01:37 AM
I'll give you my list however!

Rooker has a good chance to go high in the draft. Possibly first round IF his defense improves. I still think first base is his best position in the pros but we'll see how much he improves as an OF. We may not play him at first because Goldwater will probably end up there, but if Goldwater struggles we might try Rooker at first and an OF of Vansau, Mangum, and Cody Brown.

Chase Goldwater has a chance to get drafted in the top 20 rounds right now if I had to guess. It just depends on how quickly he adapts to the SEC.

Someone will take a flyer on Big Foot- aka Paul Young because of his potential. He's probably a top 20 round guy right now sort of like Vance Tatum.

I think Jack Kruger could potentially go pretty high especially if there is a team trying to save some slot money. He has some power, he can hit for a decent average and he is a good defender. Plus he's an All-American kind of guy that is going to work hard and do everything the right way.

Ryan Rigby will probably get drafted as well- I think he could go as high as the fifth round and somewhere between there and the 10 th round. I'd compare him to Chad Girodo who is a lower arm slot relief only guy and that is what drops his stock since starting in the pros isn't an option for him. He does throw hard for a lower arm slot guy and he attacks the zone. If he can get LH hitters out a little more consistently and improve his command he may get into that fifth round.

I could see someone possibly taking a flyer on Blake Smith late in the draft. He will be a senior but he has a really good curveball. I'm not sure how his fastball will play in the pros though and he needs to be a little more dominating to impress scouts.

Jacob Barton is a JUCO relief pitcher that we have coming in that might surprise some of our fans. His fastball was at 92-94 and he was the closer on one of the best JUCO teams in the country.

As far as our high school commits- Quenton Holmes is a risk right now because he has been showing some elite speed at the PG events. Basically he has been the fastest guy there and he was recently selected to the Team USA U18 team. He isn't a power hitter though- but I could still see someone taking him pretty high.

Of course- talk to me later as the season goes on and we'll have a more accurate outlook on our team and the draft. 2018 we should have a big year as far as the draft because that will be the year for Pilkington, Small, Breaux, Padgett, Marrero, probably Mangum, Stovall and LA among others. Cole Gordon should be peaking at about that time as well. We'll see what JUCO guys stick around among Goldwater, Bragg, Vansau, and Barton.

Todd4State
07-04-2016, 01:40 AM
And I said probably Mangum because he is draft eligible this year but I think he stays for 2018 most likely.

Steakonastick
07-04-2016, 08:05 AM
I heard Paul Young has been offered a free agent deal in the Cape this year.

msstate7
07-04-2016, 08:08 AM
I heard Paul Young has been offered a free agent deal in the Cape this year.

Think he bolts?

Todd4State
07-04-2016, 08:47 AM
Think he bolts?

He shouldn't. He still had draft leverage if his classification on MSU's web site is correct.

Steakonastick
07-04-2016, 09:01 AM
I was told don't expect him to return to campus.

maroonmania
07-04-2016, 10:11 PM
I was told don't expect him to return to campus.

A Bigfoot sighting should never be "expected".**