PDA

View Full Version : Connor Shamblin 2018 pitcher

Todd4State
07-01-2016, 08:37 PM
Committed today. He is a RHP from Briarcrest Christian in Memphis which is the same school that Freeze coached at. I guess this makes Shamblin a favor of God for us.

Had offers from Ole Miss and Alabama.

Homedawg
07-01-2016, 09:28 PM
Big get. Ole miss has owned Memphis for a while in baseball.

preachermatt83
07-01-2016, 09:50 PM
There was a guy from Memphis that was touching upper 90s we were after, is this him?

djaymsu5
07-01-2016, 10:34 PM
There was a guy from Memphis that was touching upper 90s we were after, is this him?

If so, he ain't making it to campus

Todd4State
07-01-2016, 11:12 PM

I don't believe so.

Tripp McNeely
07-01-2016, 11:14 PM
If so, he ain't making it to campus

Why? If we can keep Self and Ashcraft, we can keep this guy

Todd4State
07-01-2016, 11:22 PM
I just saw some video on him. His fastball was 91-92 and his breaking ball was around 78 or so. He hides the ball pretty well and I'm not sure that this is who Matt was talking about but I could see him getting his fastball up to the mid 90's possibly as he develops based on what I saw plus given what he is throwing as a 16 year old. It just depends on how he develops.

Todd4State
07-01-2016, 11:23 PM

Ethan Small says hello as well.

I seen it dawg
07-01-2016, 11:38 PM
Cancel the program

ZedFedder
07-02-2016, 12:46 AM
WE CANT RECRUIT WITH COGGIN AND HENDERSON.

To me the idea that just because Henderson has been a head coach that he would lose recruiting ability was idiotic.

Todd4State
07-02-2016, 01:03 AM
WE CANT RECRUIT WITH COGGIN AND HENDERSON.

To me the idea that just because Henderson has been a head coach that he would lose recruiting ability was idiotic.

I think the point was that Henderson was going to have to re-establish or make new ties. I don't disagree with that comment but I'm not worried about it too much mainly because he has done it before and was good at it and he has a great track record with pitchers.

Brando
07-02-2016, 06:21 AM
I watched him pitch last yr. Dude is legit. Great add to the program...

djaymsu5
07-02-2016, 07:42 AM

Could be wrong. Just when I think of fastball in upper 90's I think of Alex Speas

djaymsu5
07-02-2016, 07:46 AM

What does Self and Ashcraft velo typically sit around? Low 90's touching mid 90's some? Not trying to be a smart ass I honestly don't know. I know Ashcraft has good velo but I never knew what he was hitting and I've never seen any film on Self.

Todd4State
07-02-2016, 08:45 AM
Could be wrong. Just when I think of fastball in upper 90's I think of Alex Speas

Ashcraft throws about as hard as Speas. Small throws harder than Speas. The thing about Speas is he is very raw and his command isn't all that good right now. If he went to college he would no doubt be a guy that you hope turns the corner his junior year like Stratton or Hudson. That's why Speas wasn't drafted in the first round. Odds are good he would end up more like Evan Mitchell.

Now Speas is a good prospect but he won't make it up for 6-7 years and that's only if he develops better command. If he doesn't do that he won't make it. If he does develop command he could be an All-Star down the line.

Todd4State
07-02-2016, 08:47 AM
What does Self and Ashcraft velo typically sit around? Low 90's touching mid 90's some? Not trying to be a smart ass I honestly don't know. I know Ashcraft has good velo but I never knew what he was hitting and I've never seen any film on Self.

Ashcraft I think is around 91-93 and tops out at 95.

Self is around 88-91 and tops out at 93.

djaymsu5
07-02-2016, 11:16 AM
Ashcraft throws about as hard as Speas. Small throws harder than Speas. The thing about Speas is he is very raw and his command isn't all that good right now. If he went to college he would no doubt be a guy that you hope turns the corner his junior year like Stratton or Hudson. That's why Speas wasn't drafted in the first round. Odds are good he would end up more like Evan Mitchell.

Now Speas is a good prospect but he won't make it up for 6-7 years and that's only if he develops better command. If he doesn't do that he won't make it. If he does develop command he could be an All-Star down the line.

I gotcha. For some reason I thought I saw a video of Speas pitching his senior year and he hit like 97 or so a few times. Guess I was thinking of someone else.

djaymsu5
07-02-2016, 11:19 AM
Ashcraft I think is around 91-93 and tops out at 95.

Self is around 88-91 and tops out at 93.

But 91-93 or even 95 isn't upper 90's. That's low to mid 90's. He said upper 90's. I would be willing to bet a highschool kid raw or not hitting upper 90's is going to get drafted pretty dang high just off of raw talent. Would be surprised to see someone hitting upper 90's make it to college. Not saying it can't happen though cause I know it has before. David Goforth was hitting upper 90's when he was at OM hitting 99 or more several times.

Todd4State
07-02-2016, 01:38 PM
I gotcha. For some reason I thought I saw a video of Speas pitching his senior year and he hit like 97 or so a few times. Guess I was thinking of someone else.

The video you saw was probably legit but I think that's what Speas tops out at. Ashcraft doesn't throw quite as hard as Speas like I said but it's only 1-2 MPH difference.

Todd4State
07-02-2016, 01:47 PM
But 91-93 or even 95 isn't upper 90's. That's low to mid 90's. He said upper 90's. I would be willing to bet a highschool kid raw or not hitting upper 90's is going to get drafted pretty dang high just off of raw talent. Would be surprised to see someone hitting upper 90's make it to college. Not saying it can't happen though cause I know it has before. David Goforth was hitting upper 90's when he was at OM hitting 99 or more several times.

It's more difficult to get legit top of the power hitters than it is to get power arms to campus. Look at us and who we have gotten to campus vs who we have lost to the draft and the positions they played. Riley, Vallot, Burdick, Pickett, Robbins, Fenter and Holderman. Only two are pitchers. Small, Breaux, Padgett, Parker Ford, probably Ashcraft, Marrero, and likely Skelton. All are pitchers or catchers. Marrero and Skelton aren't likely elite power hitters.

We have to do a better job of either finding guys like Rooker and Renfroe that are raw power hitters or try to find a rare crazy exception like Seth Beer where we find an elite guy that we can get to graduate early thus avoiding the draft due to age.

shoeless joe
07-02-2016, 02:36 PM
Kid shut down oxford high this year...and that offense was as good as any high school team you're ever gonna see.

DogDaddy
07-02-2016, 06:41 PM
I think that was Hugh Fisher from Briarcrest that beat Oxford. He's a Vandy commit.

djaymsu5
07-02-2016, 06:55 PM
It's more difficult to get legit top of the power hitters than it is to get power arms to campus. Look at us and who we have gotten to campus vs who we have lost to the draft and the positions they played. Riley, Vallot, Burdick, Pickett, Robbins, Fenter and Holderman. Only two are pitchers. Small, Breaux, Padgett, Parker Ford, probably Ashcraft, Marrero, and likely Skelton. All are pitchers or catchers. Marrero and Skelton aren't likely elite power hitters.

We have to do a better job of either finding guys like Rooker and Renfroe that are raw power hitters or try to find a rare crazy exception like Seth Beer where we find an elite guy that we can get to graduate early thus avoiding the draft due to age.

Yea that's a good point. But upper 90's in highschool you more than likely aren't going to college.