PDA

View Full Version : Malik Newman to Kansas

louisvilledawg
07-01-2016, 08:11 AM
According to Jon Rothstein's twitter, he committed and will sit out next year.

Coldsleeve Jr.
07-01-2016, 08:15 AM
Wow thought he'd end up with stans at WKU.

msstate7
07-01-2016, 08:45 AM
Either Malik has decided to play the 2 or self sold Malik a dream (pg)

shannondawg
07-01-2016, 08:48 AM
Hope he's happy, and Horatio stays out of the way. Self won't put up with that crap.

Johnson85
07-01-2016, 09:08 AM
That makes absolutely zero sense. If he's going to play at a school where he has to win the starting PG position or play the 2, then he should just stay at MSU and not sit out a year. He (or I guess Horatio) is either just bitter at Howland for telling him something that he realizes is the truth, or he's already ineligible for next year so that sitting out doesn't play into his decision.

starkvegasdawg
07-01-2016, 09:10 AM
That makes absolutely zero sense. If he's going to play at a school where he has to win the starting PG position or play the 2, then he should just stay at MSU and not sit out a year. He (or I guess Horatio) is either just bitter at Howland for telling him something that he realizes is the truth, or he's already ineligible for next year so that sitting out doesn't play into his decision.

Screw him either way.

Tripp McNeely
07-01-2016, 09:11 AM
Frank Mason and Devonte Graham present an easier path to playing time than he had in Starkville?

ShotgunDawg
07-01-2016, 09:12 AM

It is and was always about pride. Malik was supposed to be a a one and done and once that didn't happen, they needed someone to blame because they had too much pride to look in the mirror. Howland was the person they decided to blame because it sounds good and it's an explanation that the home folk will understand.

Once pride, jealousy, or illegal benefits start, logic goes out the window.

Coach34
07-01-2016, 09:13 AM

Howland flat out told them he wasnt going to be the PG. He was tired of the BS. Malik leaving is best for us

Dawg61
07-01-2016, 09:23 AM
Have fun riding the bench and not being accepted by your teammates Diva Newman.

fishwater99
07-01-2016, 09:23 AM
Quote from Mailk... Doesn't sound like Self promised him the PG spot.. Good Luck..

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/16670024/malik-newman-transferring-kansas-jayhawks-mississippi-state-bulldogs

Newman said Self and his staff sold him on the opportunity to be a playmaker in the backcourt.

"They just said they want me to get back to the player I was," Newman said. "I told the staff that I don't need to play the point. They just want me to handle the ball, make plays and make the team better. That's what they sold me on."

Bully13
07-01-2016, 09:26 AM
Hope he's happy, and Horatio stays out of the way. Self won't put up with that crap.

Neither did Howland

Indndawg
07-01-2016, 09:33 AM
I'm gonna go with B w/ a touch of A sprinkled in.

Just another Primma Madonna to pass through the hallowed corridors of MSU. Wish him well

Dawgface
07-01-2016, 09:36 AM
Screw him either way.

Agree.

KentuckyDawg13
07-01-2016, 09:55 AM
We would have loved for him to be the player he used to be. He was a soft image of his high school self while @ MSU. Injury prone, and not hungry.

Bye Felicia. He will ride the bench for a year, play #2, and in three years, try to go pro again. Great decision.

Quote from Mailk... Doesn't sound like Self promised him the PG spot.. Good Luck..

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/16670024/malik-newman-transferring-kansas-jayhawks-mississippi-state-bulldogs

Newman said Self and his staff sold him on the opportunity to be a playmaker in the backcourt.

"They just said they want me to get back to the player I was," Newman said. "I told the staff that I don't need to play the point. They just want me to handle the ball, make plays and make the team better. That's what they sold me on."

maroonmania
07-01-2016, 09:56 AM
It is and was always about pride. Malik was supposed to be a a one and done and once that didn't happen, they needed someone to blame because they had too much pride to look in the mirror. Howland was the person they decided to blame because it sounds good and it's an explanation that the home folk will understand.

Once pride, jealousy, or illegal benefits start, logic goes out the window.

^^This. I say there is about a 90% chance that Malik ends up right back at 2G at Kansas. But in order to save face in not being able to go one and done then Howland has to be the scapegoat for Horatio and crew. I mean it can't be Malik was just not as good as advertised, its Howland's fault for not using him correctly. Right now, really the only elite quality about Malik's game is his outside shooting. He has TONS of work to do between now and the 2017-2018 season to play PG for a program like Kansas. He had a much better chance to move to PG under Stans because Stans would have had lots more leeway to put up with his mistakes at the position. Even if Kansas gives him a shot at PG, its going to be quick hook for Malik there if he doesn't do well out of the gate because Kansas will not put up with someone not playing their position at a high level and costing them a few L's like WKU could.

fishwater99
07-01-2016, 09:57 AM
He wanted to play the point at MSU, but said he is okay not playing the point at KU??

confucius say
07-01-2016, 09:59 AM
Best of luck and hope it works out. No grudge held. Think everyone is better off

Bucky Dog
07-01-2016, 10:04 AM
I hope Horatio enjoys not being able to see him play in person.

mic
07-01-2016, 10:05 AM

Neither did CBH..

Ifyouonlyknew
07-01-2016, 10:11 AM
Has anyone checked on Marketing Bully?

msstate7
07-01-2016, 10:14 AM
I hope Horatio enjoys not being able to see him play in person.

Probably the best thing that could happen to Malik's career

mstatefan91
07-01-2016, 10:19 AM
Malik will spend this entire season honing his skills for the NBA draft next Spring. I personally doubt that he has any intentions of ever playing for the Jayhawks.

Dawg61
07-01-2016, 10:41 AM
I'd trade a Malik Newman for an Andrew White every single time. Make it happen Howland.

MarketingBully
07-01-2016, 10:59 AM

Malik can eat a dick. That's the same thing we sold him on. What a Prima Donna asshole. Good luck riding the pine so to speak and being picked in the second round in two years. What a stupid stupid situation this was all around. If Kansas had gotten Thornton, they wouldn't have even brought Malik in.

MarketingBully
07-01-2016, 11:02 AM
Has anyone checked on Marketing Bully?

Why single me out? Kansas wasn't interested until they missed out on Thornton. Why else would they bring him in so late? Most people thought he would end up at WKU as well.

MarketingBully
07-01-2016, 11:03 AM
Malik will spend this entire season honing his skills for the NBA draft next Spring. I personally doubt that he has any intentions of ever playing for the Jayhawks.

I think that is what happens as well. I don't think he plays a single minute at Kansas and will enter the draft next year.

Dawg61
07-01-2016, 11:12 AM
I think that is what happens as well. I don't think he plays a single minute at Kansas and will enter the draft next year.

So playing with 12 other guys better than him for the next year still won't change his mind? That's one proud stubborn Diva riding into Kansas today.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-01-2016, 11:26 AM
Why single me out? Kansas wasn't interested until they missed out on Thornton. Why else would they bring him in so late? Most people thought he would end up at WKU as well.

Because you have been maybe the most emotional & upset about this whole Malik situation. See the post you just left. Also you basically guaranteed that he wouldn't/couldn't go to a school like Kansas because they didn't want him. I think everybody is pretty much over Malik & were the moment he announced he was transferring. I just find it funny that you're so upset over a kid that you don't think is that good.

MarketingBully
07-01-2016, 11:33 AM
Because you have been maybe the most emotional & upset about this whole Malik situation. See the post you just left. Also you basically guaranteed that he wouldn't/couldn't go to a school like Kansas because they didn't want him. I think everybody is pretty much over Malik & were the moment he announced he was transferring. I just find it funny that you're so upset over a kid that you don't think is that good.

The whole situation didn't pass the smell test. That is why I was emotional. I think he could have been a great player for us at 2gaurd but Horatio wouldn't let that happen and wanted guarentees for him playing the point. I also don't like what Horatio/Newman were saying publicly about Howland as well. This whole situation just was the dumbest thing I have ever seen in college basketball if you really want to be a one and done. And with that mantra it wouldn't surprise me if he sits out a year and bolts for the NBA without even playing for Kansas.

CadaverDawg
07-01-2016, 11:33 AM
I heard that Horatio & Malik reached out to Howland the other day, saying maybe they would stick around after all if Howland still wanted Malik. If true, I guess we see what Howland said. Good job Coach. We are MSU, not the Malik Newman development program. He will never be as good as he and his Daddy think he is. They have Lebron expectations, but Ravern Johnson skills. (But that may be an insult to Ravern, bc he could shoot)

MarketingBully
07-01-2016, 11:34 AM
Probably the best thing that could happen to Malik's career

Oh Horatio will be there.

MarketingBully
07-01-2016, 11:35 AM
I heard that Horatio & Malik reached out to Howland the other day, saying maybe they would stick around after all if Howland still wanted Malik. If true, I guess we see what Howland said. Good job Coach. We are MSU, not the Malik Newman development program. He will never be as good as he and his Daddy think he is. They have Lebron expectations, but Ravern Johnson skills. (But that may be an insult to Ravern, bc he could shoot)

That wouldn't have surprised me. A lot of behind the scenes crap has gone on with this situation.

Ifyouonlyknew
07-01-2016, 11:37 AM
The whole situation didn't pass the smell test. That is why I was emotional. I think he could have been a great player for us at 2gaurd but Horatio wouldn't let that happen and wanted guarentees for him playing the point. I also don't like what Horatio/Newman were saying publicly about Howland as well. This whole situation just was the dumbest thing I have ever seen in college basketball if you really want to be a one and done. And with that mantra it wouldn't surprise me if he sits out a year and bolts for the NBA without even playing for Kansas.

I don't disagree but with the situation being what it was him leaving was the best for both parties. We can move on with our young guys who want to be here & it gives them more minutes. He can move on with a program & coach that he & Horatio are more comfortable with.

MarketingBully
07-01-2016, 11:53 AM
The one thing though I wish had never happened was that Malik had gotten the turf toe injury. I think things would have been different had he not had a lingering injury the whole year to slow his production down. He probably would have gone pro after one year but at least he wouldn't have done this whole stupid transfer bullshit. I will say this though with reckless abandon. Thank goodness we got rid of that damn floor! That caused our basketball team countless countless injuries.

msbulldog
07-01-2016, 12:24 PM

I know you saw Renardo Sidney, that situation was dumb.

shannondawg
07-01-2016, 12:28 PM
He wanted to play the point at MSU, but said he is okay not playing the point at KU??

He might have run out of options.

Dawg61
07-01-2016, 12:29 PM

Were you in a coma for three years before this? The entire Rick Ray experience should be the dumbest thing you've ever seen not some titty baby overrated 2 guard.

MarketingBully
07-01-2016, 12:30 PM
So when we have a running gunning style team this year will the media drop this Malik didn't fit into Howland's system? That to me was the biggest bullshit that Malik and Horatio came up with. This team will be a fast paced team. Last year's was decent at it but we didn't have the capabilities this one will. That to me is what burns me up the most because it is now going to be a recruiting tool used against us that idiots like Bonner and Cronin perpetuate as fact.

MarketingBully
07-01-2016, 12:32 PM
Were you in a coma for three years before this? The entire Rick Ray experience should be the dumbest thing you've ever seen not some titty baby overrated 2 guard.

Yeah, I tried to forget about that. It's like those three years never happened. Ray ruined those seniors too. Would have been great if those kids would have bought in before the season instead of December. Last year we could have won 20 games if that had happened.

djaymsu5
07-01-2016, 12:37 PM
The thing that really make me think a lot about this situation was that Horatio said Malik told him that "He didn't trust Coach Howland." Well without trust you are definitely not going to get 100% out of a player. I have no clue why Malik didn't trust Howland. I'm not around coach H everyday but that raised my eyebrows a bit on the whole situation. I agree with most of you in that Malik and Horatio are just looking for the easiest excuse they can find to blame Howland on why Malik didn't perform like he was supposed to. I believe the turf-toe injury definitely switched gears on what could have happened this year but like y'all said if Malik would just get that one and done bs out of his head he and Q could have lead this team to something special. I for one think Malik is a damn good player and very well could be a top round pick but he just was overrated in high school and played in a weak basketball state as far as competition goes. He just needed another year or two of improvement and really buying into what Howland was trying to tell him but the big head of him and Horatio got in the way. I hate this in the fact that we now have a pissed alum and previous player going to down our university and probably spread to kids all over the Jackson area that Howland didn't keep his promise or whatever. On the flip side of that I'm glad we decided to make a decision to part ways because Horatio and Malik were a cancer to this team and what Coach H is trying to instill in this program. If you aren't willing to work hard regardless if you are a 3 or 5 star then you can hit the road jack cause nobody is too good for hard work. At the end of the day when Malik's college career is over I truly believe he will realize that what Howland was trying to tell him was right and that his pride got in the way but he will never be a big enough man to admit it and always have a bitter taste in his mouth to Mississippi State. It is what it is though.

MarketingBully
07-01-2016, 12:45 PM
I think the turf toe injury set the tone for Malik's experience here and he never could recover mentally from it. It happened right before the season and had lingering effects even into the SEC season. I think that more then anything was the reason he didn't have that smile or wasn't himself as far as what Horatio was saying. If they had just left it at we needed new scenery and he had bad memories from his injury there and that is why he transferred I could take that. But to say crap like we don't trust Howland and we don't fit into his system is just bullshit and trying to blame Howland for everything. I dislike Horatio a lot for how he handled this situation. Hope he learns from the immaturity in how he handled this because Self is cut from similar cloth as Howland and doesn't take any shit from anyone.

basedog
07-01-2016, 12:56 PM
The truth about all of this, Howland never wanted Malik back, Malik and Agent Newman have been a headache from the beginning. Injuries or not Malik sat several games during the 4th quarter, that says a lot right there. His lack of ability to handle the rock and finish shots while driving to the baskets was easy in high school, as we all saw this was a weakness in college.

There plan now, sit a year re-enter the draft and hope they get a guarantee spot next year in the Nba. If not play and see how it works out at a 5 star school of athletes.

Howland knows what's best for Msu and it wasn't Malik. Howland is going all out on Spoon II.

Good luck to the Newman's, I hope it works out for them, no use to bitter about a Ms kid when things don't work out.

MarketingBully
07-01-2016, 12:59 PM
The truth about all of this, Howland never wanted Malik back, Malik and Agent Newman have been a headache from the beginning. Injuries or not Malik sat several games during the 4th quarter, that says a lot right there. His lack of ability to handle the rock and finish shots while driving to the baskets was easy in high school, as we all saw this was a weakness in college.

There plan now, sit a year re-enter the draft and hope they get a guarantee spot next year in the Nba. If not play and see how it works out at a 5 star school of athletes.

Howland knows what's best for Msu and it wasn't Malik. Howland is going all out on Spoon II.

Good luck to the Newman's, I hope it works out for them, no use to bitter about a Ms kid when things don't work out.

I get it but I hate the way they did it. Blaming Howland for everything is not the way to go especially when the reason they were in their situation was 80% their fault.

basedog
07-01-2016, 01:04 PM
I get it but I hate the way they did it. Blaming Howland for everything is not the way to go especially when the reason they were in their situation was 80% their fault.

Kinda like this, when someone doesn't think as much about the ability of your kid playing a sport, parents will defend their kids. Horatio is his own worse enemy, his dreams are much bigger than they should have been.

Believe me Howland isn't offended by what the Newman's think, I'm sure he has been down this path a few times.

gtowndawg
07-01-2016, 01:53 PM

Plus Steve (I think Steve) just reported yesterday that Howland said team chemistry this summer is already better than at any point last year. I wouldn't not be surprised at all if Howland told Malik, "thanks, but no thanks. See ya!"

Coach007
07-01-2016, 01:57 PM
According to Jon Rothstein's twitter, he committed and will sit out next year.

Who? Newman?

fishwater99
07-01-2016, 02:29 PM
I think the turf toe injury set the tone for Malik's experience here and he never could recover mentally from it. It happened right before the season and had lingering effects even into the SEC season. I think that more then anything was the reason he didn't have that smile or wasn't himself as far as what Horatio was saying. If they had just left it at we needed new scenery and he had bad memories from his injury there and that is why he transferred I could take that. But to say crap like we don't trust Howland and we don't fit into his system is just bullshit and trying to blame Howland for everything. I dislike Horatio a lot for how he handled this situation. Hope he learns from the immaturity in how he handled this because Self is cut from similar cloth as Howland and doesn't take any shit from anyone.

The turf toe didn't keep him from the NBA, he was 100% at his workout'd. His skill set kept him out of the 1st round. He needs to work on his defense, finishing at the basket and being the best #2 guard he can be.

Jarius
07-01-2016, 02:39 PM
The truth is that Malik is not as good as he thinks he is and he can't look in the mirror and accept that so he has to blame it on someone else. His daddy is his Biggest issue because his Daddy thinks his son is better than he really is as well. This entire situation is a result of an entitled bitch not being able to accept that they simply aren't as good as they thought they were. We are bringing in top recruits at a pace never seen before at our university. Good riddance To you and your family. Have fun being mad at the next coach for not being able to turn an overrated 2 guard that can't shoot into a lottery pick.

ShotgunDawg
07-01-2016, 02:54 PM
With what has happened to Malik and others, it highlights one of the many problems with sites that rank and evaluate players at a young age.

Sites like Perfect Game etc often times unfairly rank the kid that's a bad athlete but more skilled or the kid that is more physically mature than other kids his own age, and, by doing that, that often artificially create expectations and hype that the kid doesn't deserve or need. Then that kid falls off because others catch up, but the expectations have already been set in place.

NCDawg
07-01-2016, 03:33 PM
Screw him either way.

I agree. If it's one thing we don't need, it's a prima donna who thinks he is the only good player on the team.

msbulldog
07-01-2016, 04:41 PM
With what has happened to Malik and others, it highlights one of the many problems with sites that rank and evaluate players at a young age.

Sites like Perfect Game etc often times unfairly rank the kid that's a bad athlete but more skilled or the kid that is more physically mature than other kids his own age, and, by doing that, that often artificially create expectations and hype that the kid doesn't deserve or need. Then that kid falls off because others catch up, but the expectations have already been set in place.

I guess we were all as guilty as the recruiting sites. We all were on the Newman bandwagon before the season started, thought he was the best thing since white bread. But, it didn't work out the way we all hoped, wish the kid luck. Time to move on.

drunkernhelldawg
07-01-2016, 05:58 PM

I agree with your logic. I think though that it was one of those situations in which a young man feels that he has to make a change, and that idea gets bigger and bigger.