NCAA Football: Mississippi at Florida
(Photo: KIM KLEMENT/USA TODAY SPORTS)
CONNECT
TWEET
LINKEDIN
COMMENT
EMAIL
MORE
OXFORD - Laremy Tunsil’s NFL draft night admission that he received money from Ole Miss staffers while he was the school’s left tackle shocked the college football world.

Consider at least one former Rebel among that group of surprised people.

“I did not expect to see that at all,” Pittsburgh Steelers defensive tackle Lavon Hooks said. “Laremy, he’s a good friend of mine. He’s got a great head on his shoulders.”

The NCAA is currently investigating screenshots of alleged text messages posted on Tunsil’s Instagram, halting the organizing body’s process with Ole Miss. No meeting with the Committee on Infractions has been scheduled, and it may be 2017 before a final ruling is reached.

One of Tunsil’s former teammates, however, has already made up his mind about the remarks.

STAY INFORMED: Sign up for The Clarion-Ledger’s Ole Miss newsletter.

“He said it himself, so I’m not going to say he’s lying about it,” said former defensive end Channing Ward, who has since signed with the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. “If he said it happened, it happened. I just hated it happened to him. He’s a great guy.”

Sports Illustrated’s Pete Thamel reported Wednesday that Tunsil’s estranged stepfather, Lindsey Miller, alleged the coaching staff and boosters provided financial assistance to help the family move from Lake City, Florida, to the Oxford area.

Desiree Polingo, Tunsil’s mother, denied the allegation in a statement through her lawyer to SI.

Four former players interviewed for this story — Hooks, Ward, safety Trae Elston and offensive tackle Fahn Cooper — and each said he didn’t receive anything impermissible during his recruitment or playing career. All were highly pursued by members of coach Hugh Freeze’s staff.

Hooks was a four-star recruit and the top-ranked JUCO player in 2013 after completing his career at Northeast Mississippi Community College, according to 247Sports’ Composite Rating. Ward was a five-star recruit and the No. 34 player in the 2012 class, and Elston, a three-star recruit, held offers from several top-notch programs including Alabama, LSU and Oregon.

The notice of allegations Ole Miss received in January contains 13 alleged violations committed by the football program, four related to former coaches David Saunders and Chris Vaughn.

Six of the remaining nine allegations involve a player or his family receiving something impermissible, including loaner car use by Tunsil and another player, an $800 payment to Miller by a booster, and Tunsil’s family receiving 12 nights’ worth of lodging in Oxford. None of the 13 alleged violations in the notice of allegations involved pay-for-play.

Each player interviewed said there was something else drawing him to Ole Miss, ranging from an opportunity to play in the Southeastern Conference (Cooper) to believing the coaching staff would help him mature away from the field (Hooks), not impermissible items.

“No, I have not received money,” Elston said. “I never heard anything (about people receiving impermissible items). I never seen anything like that. But things happen at all universities. But I don’t think anything happened at the University of Mississippi, though.”

Added Ward: “Naw, (my family and I) didn’t receive nothing.”

Added Cooper, a fifth-round pick by the San Francisco 49ers after two seasons at Ole Miss: “Coming from JUCO, I just appreciated a T-shirt and fresh socks every day. I never asked for anything, never got anything I wasn’t supposed to have.”

Hooks was heavily recruited by Freeze and assistant athletic director of junior college and high school relations Barney Farrar, whose name came up on draft night after an Ole Miss staffer allegedly told Tunsil to “go see Barney” after requesting money.

But Hooks doesn’t question Farrar’s work after spending a lot of time with him.

“Coach Barney, I don’t know how to explain it,” Hooks said. “He was like an uncle that raised me. He was a great man. I don’t see it (the alleged actions) coming from any of those guys.”

-----------------

Four former OM tell the Clarion Liar they didn't receive impermissible benefits so now the NCAA can go home with their hat in their hand begging to stay in Oxford for a few more glorious days.***

Never mind the fact that this is the same journalistic rag that Bdork told that the investigation was over.
Never mind that Tunsil confessed with text message evidence to back it up
Never mind that Lindsey Miller spilled all the beans and Frijoles
Never mind 8 level 1 violations

Commercecomet24
06-30-2016, 09:46 PM
Maybe they weren't good enough to get paid****

defiantdog
06-30-2016, 09:51 PM
I take it that this article came from a OM beat reporter. It's whatever..... you know, I ask my son all the time if he stayed up all night playing xbox. He always tells me no, but I know his ass stays up till dawn playing that odd Overwatch game. Guilt is guilt..... no one is going to spill the beans just to spill them.

ShotgunDawg
06-30-2016, 09:51 PM
I was really hoping someone wouldn't post that article on this site.

That news paper is unreliable & not a credible resource any longer.

So why read it or draw attention to it?

msstate7
06-30-2016, 09:52 PM
Maybe they weren't good enough to get paid****

More likely is freeze called them up and told them to tell the CL no pay for play. After that freeze called HK and told em to ask the 4 the question freeze told HK to ask

Commercecomet24
06-30-2016, 09:56 PM
More likely is freeze called them up and told them to tell the CL no pay for play. After that freeze called HK and told em to ask the 4 the question freeze told HK to ask

Yeah did they really expect these guys to come out and say thu were paid lol this was so staged it ain't funny. I swear this whole thing is a like a sitcom. It's all gonna come out at some point and the plantation gonna burn again!

Dawgowar
06-30-2016, 10:06 PM
This is the journalistic equivalent of a 'Friend of the Court' brief. Just put Col Rebel on the logo and move on. And no. I will not click the damn link.

Liverpooldawg
06-30-2016, 10:13 PM
Channing Ward............did he REALLY use CHANNING WARD in that? LAUGH OUT LOUD. That is freaking hilarious.

Liverpooldawg
06-30-2016, 10:18 PM
If any MSU people had any remaining doubts about what the Clarion-Ledger is that article should remove them. If you subscribe or ADVERTISE with them you need to send your diploma back to MSU.

fader2103
06-30-2016, 10:25 PM
Channing Ward? He got a truck and family got furniture if I can remember correctly.

msstate7
06-30-2016, 10:26 PM
Channing Ward? He got a truck and family got furniture if I can remember correctly.

Cj Johnson pretty sure got that combo. Maybe they both got it

TUSK
06-30-2016, 10:35 PM
Channing Ward was one of the players purchased out from under MDL....

I think that started the ball rollin' for the REC....

Bully13
06-30-2016, 10:39 PM
never has a NCAA investigation been so close to resembling a 19th century circus freak show. courtesy of the univ of north miss . thank you guys up north. this is too damned funny.

ShotgunDawg
06-30-2016, 10:46 PM
The great thing is that none of these clown have any bearing on the outcome. They will all look extremely dumb once the hammer drops and there is nothing they can do about it.

JoseBrown
06-30-2016, 11:45 PM
And now we know the rest of the story****

I guess we can expect The Liar to print rebuttals to every truthful story printed now.

Turfdawg67
07-01-2016, 12:48 AM
Here's a crazy idea... that'll never happen. How about the CL dig into the rumor (I didn't see it but I think many did) that CJ, a lifelong MSU fan, flipped to OM right before signing day and then posted a pic of his new truck, only to delete it soon after. Why delete it? Or how about Paidwell posting pics of wads of cash after a visit to OM? Or how about the picture of the check that Nkimdeche's dad supposedly used to purchase a very expensive car... in a different state? Or the supposed new job that dad got at UM Medical Center? Or maybe inquire about the gold watch that Tunsil was wearing on the sidelines while he was suspended. Some believed it to be a Rolex, I wouldn't know, can't afford one... and neither could he before the draft. But hell, it'd be worth asking, right?!? Instead they ask a handful of former players if they received any extra incentives to sign with OM... great investigative work guys. What did you expect them to say??

fader2103
07-01-2016, 04:31 AM
Cj Johnson pretty sure got that combo. Maybe they both got it

Maybe your right. I get so confused on what UM players get now a days. They get so much more than t shirts and dry socks

Jack Lambert
07-01-2016, 05:37 AM
These guys want to be welcomed back at ole miss for when ole miss plays someone big like bama. they like getting on the camera for CBS during game time. Plus they might want some type of job one day. So why would you burn you bridge if you were them?

somebodyshotmypaw
07-01-2016, 05:50 AM
When are they going to write an article talking about the 7.4 billion people on earth that Jeffrey Simmons did not fight?

starkvegasdawg
07-01-2016, 06:49 AM
Here's a crazy idea... that'll never happen. How about the CL dig into the rumor (I didn't see it but I think many did) that CJ, a lifelong MSU fan, flipped to OM right before signing day and then posted a pic of his new truck, only to delete it soon after. Why delete it? Or how about Paidwell posting pics of wads of cash after a visit to OM? Or how about the picture of the check that Nkimdeche's dad supposedly used to purchase a very expensive car... in a different state? Or the supposed new job that dad got at UM Medical Center? Or maybe inquire about the gold watch that Tunsil was wearing on the sidelines while he was suspended. Some believed it to be a Rolex, I wouldn't know, can't afford one... and neither could he before the draft. But hell, it'd be worth asking, right?!? Instead they ask a handful of former players if they received any extra incentives to sign with OM... great investigative work guys. What did you expect them to say??

The CJ Johnson thing still gets me. He publicly admitted he was bought and paid for. When rumors first started circulating his mom got a no show job for around 75K he commented that if his mom had a job like that he wouldn't be driving a POS truck like he has now. Then, lo and behold a miracle...signing day he has a BRAND NEW CAR!!!!!(done in my best Price is Right Voice). Then he admits he traded in the Range Rover because it had too many miles for the Z-71. So he went from so dirt poor his family couldn't afford to get him anything but a POS rust bucket to a Range Rover and then a Z-71 when the only thing that changed was where he enrolled in school.

Dallas_Dawg
07-01-2016, 07:26 AM
I always heard a house also

Bucky Dog
07-01-2016, 07:32 AM
And the idiots on Bafoon are saying this article PROVES they don't pay players. I guess the old saying, "if you say it enough, it must be true!" really does apply to these ass clowns. They can't truly believe that getting 4 players out of 200 or more over the last 5 years would "settle" it, do they??

They still don't understand that the NCAA is trying to prove the pay everybody, they just need to prove in their own minds that they paid one! Evidence to them showing that they believe there is more than one and the network was in place to do so will be the hammer.

Rebs, you have another 8-12 months to live in your delusion and claim innocence, victim of a Bulldog vendetta because we were jealous of your deserved success, and threaten with your lawyer brains "We will sue!"

Hahahahahahaha

Saltydog
07-01-2016, 07:43 AM
some of the stuff he was given..........Hell, he's another one that his family was moved to Oxford........

starkvegasdawg
07-01-2016, 07:48 AM
And the idiots on Bafoon are saying this article PROVES they don't pay players.

Just like this proves he never had sex with that woman, Ms Lewinski.

http://www.wrestlecrap.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/01/clinton.jpg

GreenheadDawg
07-01-2016, 08:05 AM
some of the stuff he was given..........Hell, he's another one that his family was moved to Oxford........

Haha yeah this article is a complete ****ing joke. I'm sure ward had his fingers crossed when he said that. The clarion ledger needs to pack their shit up and go home. It's a complete embarrassment to journalism