PDA

View Full Version : I think an provocative story that the national media could tap on this

Dawgology
06-30-2016, 10:10 AM
Would be the complicity and/or fear of the Mississipi media (namely the Clarion Ledger) to cover what looks like will be one of the largest athletic scandals in the history of the NCAA. There are three options and all of them would make for damn interesting articles:

A) State/local media is inept and some how missed this huge story completely while national writers from all over are getting scoops.

B) State/local media is actually scared to cover the story due to fallout or the fact the reporting negatives on Ole Miss will cause you to lose your job (see recent reporters who did this and suddenly took s new job elsewhere/let go).

C). State/local media is complicit with a coverup or attempting to squash or downplay the severity of this to maintain an image for a university and/or assist with their recruiting efforts. (See "interviews" with Bjork stating the investigation is over and the investigation has nothing to do with Freeze and/or the current football program, etc. ad nauseum).

I personally think it's a combination of all three of the above but I would love a national media outlet to dig into this. There are plenty of spurned writers and reporters that would be willing to talk about it. The implications of that could be interesting and would be some awesome reading material.

YoungB
06-30-2016, 10:47 AM
Would be the complicity and/or fear of the Mississipi media (namely the Clarion Ledger) to cover what looks like will be one of the largest athletic scandals in the history of the NCAA. There are three options and all of them would make for damn interesting articles:

A) State/local media is inept and some how missed this huge story completely while national writers from all over are getting scoops.

B) State/local media is actually scared to cover the story due to fallout or the fact the reporting negatives on Ole Miss will cause you to lose your job (see recent reporters who did this and suddenly took s new job elsewhere/let go).

C). State/local media is complicit with a coverup or attempting to squash or downplay the severity of this to maintain an image for a university and/or assist with their recruiting efforts. (See "interviews" with Bjork stating the investigation is over and the investigation has nothing to do with Freeze and/or the current football program, etc. ad nauseum).

I personally think it's a combination of all three of the above but I would love a national media outlet to dig into this. There are plenty of spurned writers and reporters that would be willing to talk about it. The implications of that could be interesting and would be some awesome reading material.

CL is in the atypical position of being the only major media outlet in an entire state. In an industry struggling to remain relevant, or solvent for that matter, it makes no financial sense to antagonize 1/2 your readership for the sake of fulfilling the higher principles of journalism. You can win the battle and write a great story, and then look for another job when your paper goes under.

I don't see how this changes any time soon.

A counter argument might be, they withstood the MSU headlines debacle without any changes. Maybe Incompetence manages to keep the ship afloat, in spite of antagonizing, simply due to the lack of alternatives.

B

Dawgology
06-30-2016, 11:10 AM
CL is in the atypical position of being the only major media outlet in an entire state. In an industry struggling to remain relevant, or solvent for that matter, it makes no financial sense to antagonize 1/2 your readership for the sake of fulfilling the higher principles of journalism. You can win the battle and write a great story, and then look for another job when your paper goes under.

A counter argument might be, they withstood the MSU headlines debacle without any changes. Maybe Incompetence manages to keep the ship afloat, in spite of antagonizing, simply due to the lack of alternatives.

B

There's not covering a story and then there is reporting obvious false statements. Sports is not all that drives that paper (by a long shot) and the CL has never shied away from reporting on other industries and industry leaders that could impact their ad revenue. The fact is, they are the only major media outlet in the state (as you stated) so they should be able to report it and have no fear as they have no real competition.

Dawgology
07-08-2016, 10:50 AM
Shameless bump. Incidentally I posted this before the toxic article, etc etc... I think. I stick by my post that this could be a huge story inside of an already big story about UNM's recruiting

MSUDawg99
07-08-2016, 11:01 AM

B

What I just read out of all of this is "MSU readers aren't important so who cares if we lose their readers"

Mjoelner34
07-08-2016, 11:19 AM
A counter argument might be, they withstood the MSU headlines debacle without any changes.

What I read out of this part is that it will happen again, again and again until a concerted effort to cancel subscriptions, quit clicking articles and a refusal to do business with anybody that advertises there takes place. Although some on here are against it, I agree with the ones who would slap a media ban on them so fast it'd make your head spin. We gain absolutely nothing by having them here. Oh, they'll write an occasional good article but that'll soon be overshadowed by 3 negative articles or a swooning over something pertaining to UNM in the middle of an article about MSU. Two steps forward and threes steps back has been our relationship with that paper since the JWS days and if anything, its even worse now than then.