PDA

View Full Version : Braves

msstate7
06-30-2016, 07:42 AM
Albies to AA. Swanson and Albies will be together. My guess is Albies sticks at 2b and Swanson at SS

BrunswickDawg
06-30-2016, 07:54 AM
Albies to AA. Swanson and Albies will be together. My guess is Albies sticks at 2b and Swanson at SS

Interesting - Ozzie has only hit .248 at Gwinnett but had been doing better over his last 10 games or so (.293). Looks to me like they want the 2 of them to build some chemistry to get ready for next season.

msstate7
06-30-2016, 08:00 AM
Interesting - Ozzie has only hit .248 at Gwinnett but had been doing better over his last 10 games or so (.293). Looks to me like they want the 2 of them to build some chemistry to get ready for next season.
Albies has been shaky defensively... 11 errors at Gwinnett. Hopefully some of that is a bad 1b

BrunswickDawg
06-30-2016, 08:56 AM
Albies has been shaky defensively... 11 errors at Gwinnett. Hopefully some of that is a bad 1b

People like to say transitioning from SS to 2B is easy - but if you have never played that side of the infield it can be tough. The throwing angle, the way the ball spins when hit by RH hitters, and fielding the ball in the hole and making a throw can challenge you if you aren't used to it. His errors will probably be high this year. I always felt from a fielding and angles standpoint, going from 2B to SS is easier - if you have the arm and range. You are never having to turn your back on your target like at 2B and it was much easier to square up for a throw even moving toward the bag. If you don't have the arm (like me), it can be shear torture, and your 1B will hate you..

Dawg61
06-30-2016, 09:53 AM
People like to say transitioning from SS to 2B is easy - but if you have never played that side of the infield it can be tough. The throwing angle, the way the ball spins when hit by RH hitters, and fielding the ball in the hole and making a throw can challenge you if you aren't used to it. His errors will probably be high this year. I always felt from a fielding and angles standpoint, going from 2B to SS is easier - if you have the arm and range. You are never having to turn your back on your target like at 2B and it was much easier to square up for a throw even moving toward the bag. If you don't have the arm (like me), it can be shear torture, and your 1B will hate you..

The missile shots get hit to SS and 3b since most hitters are RH. Every once in awhile though 2nd baseman can develop the yips having to make the softer throw to 1st like Chuck Knoblauch got and it ruined him.

msstate7
06-30-2016, 10:02 AM
The missile shots get hit to SS and 3b since most hitters are RH. Every once in awhile though 2nd baseman can develop the yips having to make the softer throw to 1st like Chuck Knoblauch got and it ruined him.

Don't you dare put a hex on one of our best prospects haha

Dawg61
06-30-2016, 10:08 AM
Don't you dare put a hex on one of our best prospects haha

No hex given just didn't want to completely disagree with Bruns. SS is a much more difficult position over 2b and any pro SS should be able to transition easier to 2b than any pro 2b can transition to SS.

BrunswickDawg
06-30-2016, 10:45 AM
No hex given just didn't want to completely disagree with Bruns. SS is a much more difficult position over 2b and any pro SS should be able to transition easier to 2b than any pro 2b can transition to SS.

I would agree with that in principle - but, there is still an adjustment period if you haven't had much experience at 2B - which was my point.

Knoblauch's yips weren't about making an adjustment to position though. His was pure mental. Same with Steve Sax. And yips can happen anywhere. If Dale Murphy could have made the throw back to the pitcher without it sailing into the outfield, he might be in the HOF as one of the greatest hittting catchers of all time.

Dawg61
06-30-2016, 10:58 AM
I would agree with that in principle - but, there is still an adjustment period if you haven't had much experience at 2B - which was my point.

Knoblauch's yips weren't about making an adjustment to position though. His was pure mental. Same with Steve Sax. And yips can happen anywhere. If Dale Murphy could have made the throw back to the pitcher without it sailing into the outfield, he might be in the HOF as one of the greatest hittting catchers of all time.

Jon Lester can't throw to 1st base. It's so weird.

louisvilledawg
06-30-2016, 11:27 AM

Is this the spot where War Machine Dawg says one will be traded? Or do we wait until both in the majors for one of them to be traded since we won't keep both according to him.

BrunswickDawg
06-30-2016, 01:02 PM
Jon Lester can't throw to 1st base. It's so weird.

I caught the yips for about 3 games my Sr year in HS. I'd made a throwing error from SS to lose a game. It totally 17'd my head up and I started one-hoping every throw because I had overthrown the 1B. Coach moved me to RF for a game and I gunned a guy out at home to save a win. Coach said "see, your wild ass high throws are good for something." Got me back on track.

Really Clark?
06-30-2016, 02:00 PM
Bud Norris just traded to Dodgers

CJDAWG85
06-30-2016, 02:38 PM
I bet against the Braves everyday and I'm cleaning my bookie out.

smootness
06-30-2016, 02:48 PM
I would assume Albies will be at 2B still. I'm guessing we came to the conclusion that Swanson will be our SS and Albies our 2B, which is why we want them playing together now.

That was always my assumption on what would happen. Swanson seems to have the more natural arm. Albies throws harder on an average basis, but I think it's because he maxes out effort, which is also why I think he ends up with so many throwing errors.

louisvilledawg
06-30-2016, 03:16 PM
I would assume Albies will be at 2B still. I'm guessing we came to the conclusion that Swanson will be our SS and Albies our 2B, which is why we want them playing together now.

That was always my assumption on what would happen. Swanson seems to have the more natural arm. Albies throws harder on an average basis, but I think it's because he maxes out effort, which is also why I think he ends up with so many throwing errors.

So he's like the Tyson Lee of Minor League Baseball. A gym rat that does all the right things. a real pro's pro. A spark plug.

BrunswickDawg
07-01-2016, 08:48 AM
Albies 3 for 5 last night and Swanson 4 for 5. Good way to start!

Good article from DOB in the AJC too -
http://m.ajc.com/news/sports/baseball/swanson-albies-together-now-in-braves-double-a-inf/nrqhG/

I really like where this is headed.