PDA

View Full Version : SBNation has faith is us going 6-6

Coach34
06-28-2016, 10:29 PM
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/6/28/12046584/bowl-projections-ncaa-football-playoff-predictions-lsu-clemson-michigan-tcu

Rematch with Northwestern here in Shreveport. Has the entire SEC West in bowls

Tbonewannabe
06-28-2016, 10:39 PM
I still think we are above Arkansas at least for a minimum 7 wins with a chance to take 1 of AU, aTm, or UM to get to 8. I think we are going back to Nashville.

SDDawg
06-28-2016, 10:45 PM
We will finish ahead of Arky, quite sure of that one. We will also win the Egg back, the pressure and strain on Freeze is about to become unbearable. He'll crack.

Jack Lambert
06-28-2016, 10:45 PM
That the same tune they said the past two years and Mullen proved them wrong. I would not be surprise if he did not surprise them again.

Schultzy
06-28-2016, 11:14 PM
The West is impossible to predict. Auburn could be horrible or good. Arkansas could be horrible or good after losing the QB and TE. LSU could be bad again with their obtuse situation at QB or good. OM just lost their best three best three players and are supposed to contend after they failed to get it done, i don't think so. MSU will be a wild card w/a new QB and a good defense.

ShotgunDawg
06-28-2016, 11:33 PM
The West is impossible to predict. Auburn could be horrible or good. Arkansas could be horrible or good after losing the QB and TE. LSU could be bad again with their obtuse situation at QB or good. OM just lost their best three best three players and are supposed to contend after they failed to get it done, i don't think so. MSU will be a wild card w/a new QB and a good defense.

Agree.

I expect 7 wins. The interesting thing about LSU is: what if Fournette gets hurt?

I know no one wants to talk about that, but it's a distinct possibility. If Fournette gets banged up, LSU's offense become really pedestrian, really quick

Homedawg
06-28-2016, 11:39 PM
Agree.

I expect 7 wins. The interesting thing about LSU is: what if Fournette gets hurt?

I know no one wants to talk about that, but it's a distinct possibility. If Fournette gets banged up, LSU's offense become really pedestrian, really quick

Pedestrian at one spot-qb. Which clearly is huge. But they have talent running out their ass at every spot except qb! Fournette is a game changer, but they aren't lacking talent at the rb position.

Reason2succeed
06-29-2016, 03:31 AM
If I were Fournette I would simply sit out the year and wait until the NFL draft. The only things he has to play for is a chance at a Heisman and a chance at a NC. If he gets hurt like Nick Chubb or Gurley he will be very upset. If LSU loses a game early and puts either of those goals in jeopardy we could still see him fake an injury and wait till the draft. He would have nothing else to play for.

Players, their "agents", and family are smart enough to know that playing for the scraps they get in college is akin to Michaelango painting your man cave for beer money. If the NFL is willing to pay you millions already why would you give your talent away for chump change?

TUSK
06-29-2016, 04:58 AM
If I were Fournette I would simply sit out the year and wait until the NFL draft. The only things he has to play for is a chance at a Heisman and a chance at a NC. If he gets hurt like Nick Chubb or Gurley he will be very upset. If LSU loses a game early and puts either of those goals in jeopardy we could still see him fake an injury and wait till the draft. He would have nothing else to play for.

Players, their "agents", and family are smart enough to know that playing for the scraps they get in college is akin to Michaelango painting your man cave for beer money. If the NFL is willing to pay you millions already why would you give your talent away for chump change?

He (LF7) coulda been a "1 and done" at bammer.... that would have been efficient....

Tbonewannabe
06-29-2016, 06:40 AM
He (LF7) coulda been a "1 and done" at bammer.... that would have been efficient....

No ** so I am assuming you don't know the NFL has a rule you have to be finished with 3 years out of high school. The earliest you can be drafted is junior year or redshirt sophomore.

Joe Schmedlap
06-29-2016, 06:52 AM
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2016/6/28/12046584/bowl-projections-ncaa-football-playoff-predictions-lsu-clemson-michigan-tcu

Rematch with Northwestern here in Shreveport. Has the entire SEC West in bowls

Is a bowl ban possible this season for the rebellious grove bears?
State wins 7 games this year. No more, no less.

msstate7
06-29-2016, 07:08 AM
Agree.

In no way am I saying guice is LF, but guice is a great Rb himself.

Dawgface
06-29-2016, 07:12 AM
I'm hoping for 7 wins. Not sure we get it. Maybe the dogs will surprise us.

beretta
06-29-2016, 07:35 AM
6-6 is about what I have been expecting....anything less, Im pissed at Mullen, anything more, Ill say that Im surprised......on paper, we have talented defense ---but a new defensive coordinator----- on offense, we have 1 decent player ----Fred Ross---- all the rest are serviceable, or inexperienced.

All the preseason mags etc are coming out.....SEC media days......I'm just not into this year for the first time since Croom days bc of what I see coming this fall....

Now, there is one glimmer of hope that I am holding onto.....Mullen seems to do his best coaching jobs when the expectations are low, and roster is filled with new faces....'so i got that going for me'

that road schedule though

Johnson85
06-29-2016, 07:44 AM
No ** so I am assuming you don't know the NFL has a rule you have to be finished with 3 years out of high school. The earliest you can be drafted is junior year or redshirt sophomore.

I think it was a joke that he could have played a backup role for two years and then been the primary back his junior year before going to the draft. Probably only a partial joke as his carries at bama probably wouldn't have gotten to half of what they have been at LSU.

Johnson85
06-29-2016, 07:49 AM
6-6 is about what I have been expecting....anything less, Im pissed at Mullen, anything more, Ill say that Im surprised......on paper, we have talented defense ---but a new defensive coordinator----- on offense, we have 1 decent player ----Fred Ross---- all the rest are serviceable, or inexperienced.

All the preseason mags etc are coming out.....SEC media days......I'm just not into this year for the first time since Croom days bc of what I see coming this fall....

Now, there is one glimmer of hope that I am holding onto.....Mullen seems to do his best coaching jobs when the expectations are low, and roster is filled with new faces....'so i got that going for me'

that road schedule though

I think Ross, Dear, and probably Donald Gray are all going to be better than serviceable, but yes, pretty concerning that your three best bets on offense are WR and your OL is terrible and your QB inexperienced. I can come up with reasons for why we will be better and looking at the holes a team like Arkansas or UM has to fill and the potential chemistry problems of UM, A&M, and Auburn, but then I come back to our known holes on offense and 6-6 starts to look almost optimistic.

SaintDawg
06-29-2016, 08:30 AM
Somewhere between 7-5 and 9-3. I hate this 6-6 shit. :mad:

louisvilledawg
06-29-2016, 08:38 AM
Agree.

I disagree. They have Derrius Guice backing him up who was a top 5 rb recruit. they have two outstanding wrs. I think they lose a lot if LF7 goes down, but still think Guice could be great.

maroonmania
06-29-2016, 08:51 AM
7 wins should be the marker this season. Less than 7 and I will definitely be disappointed, more than 7 and I will be very happy. If we win our 4 OOC games then all it would take to get to 7 is a win over SC, KY and ONE of Aub, TA&M and Ark which are ALL home games. The only way ANYONE should be thinking 6-6 is if you expect a loss at BYU.

mic
06-29-2016, 09:06 AM
No way
We are picked bottom half of the west with 8 or less wins
What a shocker

Same shit every year...

blacklistedbully
06-29-2016, 09:20 AM
Phil Steele has us at 9 wins, I believe.

"OFFENSE- The Bulldogs go from just 4 ret st'rs to 5 but lose
the straw that stirred the drink in QB Dak Prescott. LY was the
1st time s/'78 that Miss St had a 1st Tm SEC QB and WR (Fred
Ross). The run game struggled but with a more exp'd O-line
they should be better. I don't see them matching the 35.7 ppg
of '14-'15 without Prescott but they still could top 30 ppg.
DEFENSE - Manny Diaz's '15 D set the school record with
98 tfl with the old record being Joe Lee Dunn's '99 defense (95).
New DC Sirmon inherits 6 of the top 7 tkl'rs from '15. Miss St
has not allowed over 23.3 ppg in the last 6 yrs (21.7 ppg avg)
and my computer (pg 42) is calling for 22.1 this year.
2016 - The Bulldogs have been to 6 consec bowl games
under Mullen (4-2 in those). They were also the least penalized
tm in the SEC in '15 (#7 in FBS). Miss St has outperformed
the SEC media's expectations 4 straight years (picked last '15).
The big question this year is who will replace QB Dak Prescott.
Prescott took an inexp'd team to 9-4 (4-4 tie 5th SEC West) in '15.
Watching the spring game, I thought Mullen had 4 capable QB's
to choose from and the new guy should perform well, just not up
to Prescott's standards. The D should be solid. The schedule is
the best of the West as they draw Kentucky and South Carolina
and are the only West team to avoid all 3 of the top East teams.
They get Arkansas, Auburn and A&M all at home. Two of my 9
sets of power ratings are calling for a 9 win season and coach
Mullen always gets the most out of his teams. "

Tbonewannabe
06-29-2016, 10:30 AM
Phil Steele has us at 9 wins, I believe.

"OFFENSE- The Bulldogs go from just 4 ret st'rs to 5 but lose
the straw that stirred the drink in QB Dak Prescott. LY was the
1st time s/'78 that Miss St had a 1st Tm SEC QB and WR (Fred
Ross). The run game struggled but with a more exp'd O-line
they should be better. I don't see them matching the 35.7 ppg
of '14-'15 without Prescott but they still could top 30 ppg.
DEFENSE - Manny Diaz's '15 D set the school record with
98 tfl with the old record being Joe Lee Dunn's '99 defense (95).
New DC Sirmon inherits 6 of the top 7 tkl'rs from '15. Miss St
has not allowed over 23.3 ppg in the last 6 yrs (21.7 ppg avg)
and my computer (pg 42) is calling for 22.1 this year.
2016 - The Bulldogs have been to 6 consec bowl games
under Mullen (4-2 in those). They were also the least penalized
tm in the SEC in '15 (#7 in FBS). Miss St has outperformed
the SEC media's expectations 4 straight years (picked last '15).
The big question this year is who will replace QB Dak Prescott.
Prescott took an inexp'd team to 9-4 (4-4 tie 5th SEC West) in '15.
Watching the spring game, I thought Mullen had 4 capable QB's
to choose from and the new guy should perform well, just not up
to Prescott's standards. The D should be solid. The schedule is
the best of the West as they draw Kentucky and South Carolina
and are the only West team to avoid all 3 of the top East teams.
They get Arkansas, Auburn and A&M all at home. Two of my 9
sets of power ratings are calling for a 9 win season and coach
Mullen always gets the most out of his teams. "

This would be best case scenario with 10 wins possible if we somehow win all our home games and UM buckles under in the Egg Bowl. I think we lose one of AU or aTm, probably aTm with their DEs possibly wreaking havoc on our Oline.

Reason2succeed
06-29-2016, 10:39 AM
It's all contingent on our QB being capable on 3rd downs and a consistent running game from our RBs and OL.

dickiedawg
06-29-2016, 10:44 AM
I see no reason we can't win 8 games.
No, we don't have 8 absolute locks on the schedule. But I think we'll be favored or heavily favored in 6 games (all four OOC plus USC and UK) and we have 3 toss up type games, all at home. I wouldn't be shocked at all with 9 wins.

maroonmania
06-29-2016, 10:45 AM
It's all contingent on our QB being capable on 3rd downs and a consistent running game from our RBs and OL.

Yep, so much depends on a vast improvement in the running game. Its still hard for me to believe how freakin' bad our run game was last year. You know things are bad when you are an SEC team and can't even run the ball against Troy.

blacklistedbully
06-29-2016, 10:59 AM
Optimistic view
S. Bama - W
SCar - W
@LSU - L
@ UMass - W
AU - W
@ BYU - W (unless their officials screw us...not kidding)
@ UK - W
Samford - W
aTm - W
@ Bama - L
UPig - W
@ UNM - W (We get revenge)

Pessimistic view
S. Bama - W
SCar - W
@ LSU - L
@ UMass - W
AU - T
@ BYU - W (again, unless we get shafted)
@ UK - W
Sanford - W
aTm - T
@ Bama - L
UPig - T
@ UNM - L (due to home game and experienced QB)

I think we'll end up between 7-5 & 10-2 regular season. If we get half-way decent O-line play we will win 8 or 9. If we get shockingly good O-line play we will win 10. If we get O-line play close to last year, we will win 7.

maroonmania
06-29-2016, 11:25 AM
If we get shockingly good O-line play we will win 10.

Oh well, so much for the 10 win scenario.

Reason2succeed
06-29-2016, 11:42 AM
Optimistic view
S. Bama - W
SCar - W
@LSU - L
@ UMass - W
AU - W
@ BYU - W (unless their officials screw us...not kidding)
@ UK - W
Samford - W
aTm - W
@ Bama - L
UPig - W
@ UNM - W (We get revenge)

Pessimistic view
S. Bama - W
SCar - W
@ LSU - L
@ UMass - W
AU - T
@ BYU - W (again, unless we get shafted)
@ UK - W
Sanford - W
aTm - T
@ Bama - L
UPig - T
@ UNM - L (due to home game and experienced QB)

I think we'll end up between 7-5 & 10-2 regular season. If we get half-way decent O-line play we will win 8 or 9. If we get shockingly good O-line play we will win 10. If we get O-line play close to last year, we will win 7.

There are no ties in real American football. You are prognosticating so go ahead and call it a win or loss. Haha!

I think we beat Auburn but I think we lose to ATM if they get their QB situation settled. Sumlin runs the same offense as Mullen but better. We beat UPig this year but Bielema's wife remains hot.

Bothrops
06-29-2016, 11:58 AM
Arkansas has to replace nearly all of their production on offense. I don't understand why they are expected to fare better than us..

blacklistedbully
06-29-2016, 11:58 AM
T is for toss-up.

Bothrops
06-29-2016, 12:06 PM
There are no ties in real American football. You are prognosticating so go ahead and call it a win or loss. Haha!

I think we beat Auburn but I think we lose to ATM if they get their QB situation settled. Sumlin runs the same offense as Mullen but better. We beat UPig this year but Bielema's wife remains hot.

True, Sumlin runs a similar offense, but with all 4 star talent. To beat A&M you need to have a dominating defense. That's why we weren't able to get it done over there last year. Manny's defense would have never beaten A&M.

WPS
06-29-2016, 12:29 PM
Arkansas has to replace nearly all of their production on offense. I don't understand why they are expected to fare better than us..

3-7 in the west is pretty much a coin flip. Arkansas is #1 in the NCAA in returning tackles.

The team I don't get the love for is Auburn. I think they could have the worst offense in the west.

Dawg61
06-29-2016, 12:37 PM
3-7 in the west is pretty much a coin flip. Arkansas is #1 in the NCAA in returning tackles.

The team I don't get the love for is Auburn. I think they could have the worst offense in the west.

Gus's gimmick NASCAR offense has been solved and his QBs are terrible. Arkansas is going to be shit on offense. Fat Bart will keep y'all close cause of his conservative play to lose close style but his seat is going to get hot this year. You can't play not to lose style football. It only ensures a loss. We know we had Croom and his punting from their 30.

WPS
06-29-2016, 01:10 PM
Gus's gimmick NASCAR offense has been solved and his QBs are terrible. Arkansas is going to be shit on offense. Fat Bart will keep y'all close cause of his conservative play to lose close style but his seat is going to get hot this year. You can't play not to lose style football. It only ensures a loss. We know we had Croom and his punting from their 30.

I would have liked to see us pass at least once at the end of our game instead of going for the FG but being aggressive won us the Ole Miss game. Hard to call a team that scores 50+ points consistently conservative.

Lot to replace on offense but I think Enos is a solid OC. First time Bielema will have both coordinators back.

Dawg61
06-29-2016, 01:59 PM
I would have liked to see us pass at least once at the end of our game instead of going for the FG but being aggressive won us the Ole Miss game. Hard to call a team that scores 50+ points consistently conservative.

Lot to replace on offense but I think Enos is a solid OC. First time Bielema will have both coordinators back.

Maybe but I need more than one season with a senior QB to be convinced Bart isn't conservative by nature. Didn't we beat y'all two years ago and you had the ball for over 38 minutes?

TUSK
06-29-2016, 02:32 PM

no, he'd been at Bammer 3 years, but only started one.... like most of our RBs....*

Johnson85
06-29-2016, 03:23 PM
Maybe but I need more than one season with a senior QB to be convinced Bart isn't conservative by nature. Didn't we beat y'all two years ago and you had the ball for over 38 minutes?

I haven't thought of Bert as conservative. I guess run first offense are by their nature more conservative than pas first offenses, but it seems like he has always taken shots downfield. And didn't Bert completely blow a game huge game at Wisconsin at the end of his tenure being crazy aggressive?

Dawg61
06-29-2016, 09:24 PM
I haven't thought of Bert as conservative. I guess run first offense are by their nature more conservative than pas first offenses, but it seems like he has always taken shots downfield. And didn't Bert completely blow a game huge game at Wisconsin at the end of his tenure being crazy aggressive?

Arkansas was #3 in the country in time of possession last year. Their entire philosophy on offense starts and ends with controlling the clock. You can't be aggressive and time controlling at the same time. That's like saying you're skinny fat.

WPS
06-29-2016, 10:08 PM
Arkansas was #3 in the country in time of possession last year. Their entire philosophy on offense starts and ends with controlling the clock. You can't be aggressive and time controlling at the same time. That's like saying you're skinny fat.

Eh, I don't know. He went for it on 4th down quite a bit and ran a lot of fake punts his first two years, not so much last year. Some worked and some didn't. Guess it depends on what the definition of aggressive is.

That was probably the only time the word skinny has been mentioned in a conversation about Bielema though :p

Dawg61
06-29-2016, 11:23 PM
Eh, I don't know. He went for it on 4th down quite a bit and ran a lot of fake punts his first two years, not so much last year. Some worked and some didn't. Guess it depends on what the definition of aggressive is.

That was probably the only time the word skinny has been mentioned in a conversation about Bielema though :p

Sure you can have instances of aggressiveness but it's very obvious his philosophy is to control the clock. I don't know what else to say his #3 ranked time of possession is enough.

Political Hack
06-30-2016, 08:54 AM
I see a 10 win ceiling and 6 win floor. That's assuming we take care of business at home vs SC and don't get rattled on the road at BYU and UK, both of which are capable of beating us with a few good bounces. I actually enjoy seasons like this. Lower than normal expectations with a chance to shock some people.