PDA

View Full Version : Mitchell Miller to Clemson

Steakonastick
06-27-2016, 08:00 PM
Pretty big loss here. We let him out of his loi Cause the coaching change.

LC Dawg
06-27-2016, 08:28 PM
Pretty big loss here. We let him out of his loi Cause the coaching change.

We're letting people out of LOIs because assistant coaches leave? I thought they committed to Mississippi State.

MarketingBully
06-27-2016, 08:38 PM
It's a bullshit excuse if you ask me. Why now? Why not when we actually changed the coaches? It's almost been three weeks and he does it now?

mic
06-27-2016, 08:40 PM
**** it.. if he doesn't want to be here then bye....

ShotgunDawg
06-27-2016, 08:42 PM

Agree.

That being said though, I don't know who is supposed to recruit on Cohen's staff.

djaymsu5
06-27-2016, 08:45 PM
Damnit!

ScottH
06-27-2016, 09:11 PM
Based on signing in November, wouldn't ya think Butch leaving would be the only legitimate cause? If that's so it would need to be voiced 6 months ago.

Is Gary H. the problem? Has Gary H. even met with him? But but but ...... he's one of the best pitching coaches there is, more pitchers to the majors in the last 5 years... etc etc.

This pisses me off. I'd let him sit a year. But that's just me.

Gary you better be finding someone today and let the little woman handle the move to Starkville.

CadaverDawg
06-27-2016, 09:17 PM
Not good.

Todd4State
06-27-2016, 09:21 PM

I couldn't have said it better myself.

Todd4State
06-27-2016, 09:23 PM
Not good.

Disagree. It sounds to me like we avoided a problem.

blacklistedbully
06-27-2016, 09:33 PM
17 him, if he doesn't want to play in College Baseball Heaven.

maroonmania
06-27-2016, 09:45 PM
That is ridiculous. First losing Pearson's commitment but now losing a guy already SIGNED over an assistant leaving? This is total BS. Must be Mingione because WJohnson wasn't even around when Miller committed.

Steakonastick
06-27-2016, 09:51 PM
This is a weird one for me. Commits while Butch is here. Signs why Johnson is here. I'm sure mingonie was his recruiter. But to leave because a coach who is not even your position coach leaves. Then on top of that you don't even follow him.

djaymsu5
06-27-2016, 09:57 PM
According to some folks on Twitter he has always liked Clemson so I am assuming maybe they just didn't really show much interest in him until late and with us having two different pitching coaches leave during his time being recruited he just didn't feel comfortable playing for a coach he didn't even know. Maybe the Clemson pitching coach was his second favorite and since the guys we had recruit him left be decided to go to his next choice. Who knows

Todd4State
06-27-2016, 10:34 PM
According to some folks on Twitter he has always liked Clemson so I am assuming maybe they just didn't really show much interest in him until late and with us having two different pitching coaches leave during his time being recruited he just didn't feel comfortable playing for a coach he didn't even know. Maybe the Clemson pitching coach was his second favorite and since the guys we had recruit him left be decided to go to his next choice. Who knows

I think he always wanted to go to Clemson and they are just now offering him on the back end probably because they lost someone to the draft and he's using the coaching change as a convenient excuse.

Leroy Jenkins
06-27-2016, 10:37 PM
If you get out of a LOI because a coach left shouldn't you have to go where that coach went? Your new school doesn't have that coach you committed to either. Just sayin'.

msstate7
06-27-2016, 10:42 PM
It seems that it would be tough to hold a kid to a college baseball LOI. It's not like they're getting full rides like basketball and football. If you're gonna have to open your pocketbook to attend a school, I think you should have more leeway with transfers and such. I know it's biting us here, but that's how I feel

smootness
06-27-2016, 10:48 PM
Oh well, we got Ashcraft.

Todd4State
06-27-2016, 11:51 PM
If you get out of a LOI because a coach left shouldn't you have to go where that coach went? Your new school doesn't have that coach you committed to either. Just sayin'.

I see where you are coming from but....

Cohen may have said I'll let you out of your LOI, but you can't go to another SEC school. It makes sense to me from that standpoint because then it's us not totally bending over and it keeps a good player from helping out one of our opponents. I believe that happens in basketball a lot.

That said, with as many walk-ons as there are in baseball, not really a lot Cohen or MSU could do if he REALLY wanted to play for Butch or Wes at Auburn or Arkansas.

So, that doesn't really add up to what he is saying. Other than I think it's a convenient excuse. I'm pissed at Clemson for continuing to recruit a kid that had signed a LOI personally.

Todd4State
06-27-2016, 11:59 PM
It seems that it would be tough to hold a kid to a college baseball LOI. It's not like they're getting full rides like basketball and football. If you're gonna have to open your pocketbook to attend a school, I think you should have more leeway with transfers and such. I know it's biting us here, but that's how I feel

You only sign a LOI if you are getting scholarship money in some way shape or form. If you sign a LOI you should follow through on that as a player unless the program goes on probation or something like that. I don't consider a coach leaving in the "something like that" category.

At the same time baseball recruiting is changing a lot recently. I've seen players commit younger and younger although that has gotten to the point where it's about as young as they can reasonably go. The other thing I have seen is a lot of players flipping more than ever. We've lost a few- Pearson, Speas, and Elliott Anderson. We've also benefitted from some flips- Jake Mangum, Kale Breaux, Ethan Small, Marc Coffers, and Trysten Barlow among others. This is the first time I recall a player asking out of his LOI.

This may just be a sign of the times and you may see other teams try to take advantage of other programs losing coaches- which I personally don't think is right. If it is, I hope we start doing it too if we haven't already.

In case anyone is wondering- all of the players that flipped to us thus far at least de-committed from their original school first and had not signed a LOI.

Todd4State
06-28-2016, 12:00 AM
Oh well, we got Ashcraft.

At this point, I'll feel better once the deadline passes officially. And hell, maybe not until school starts.

And before anyone panics, I still expect him to come to MSU.

InTheIttaBenaHotSun
06-28-2016, 12:01 AM
I'm pissed at Clemson for continuing to recruit a kid that had signed a LOI personally.

Exactly.....I'm wondering why Lee was recruiting him. There was no reason why Lee should have been in contact with Miller after Miller had signed with us. Maybe it was Miller that reached out to Lee?

MarketingBully
06-28-2016, 12:54 AM
Exactly.....I'm wondering why Lee was recruiting him. There was no reason why Lee should have been in contact with Miller after Miller had signed with us. Maybe it was Miller that reached out to Lee?

Even then, they need our permission to talk to him technically. Otherwise, what would stop coaches from doing this in other sports and creates a bad precedent. This is tampering 101 and Clemson is guilty as sin of it.

maroonmania
06-28-2016, 09:48 AM
Even then, they need our permission to talk to him technically. Otherwise, what would stop coaches from doing this in other sports and creates a bad precedent. This is tampering 101 and Clemson is guilty as sin of it.

Exactly, should we, now that the draft is done, go look for other school's signees that look like they will actually go to school and offer them a better scholarship deal here than what they currently have? A guy can change his commitment all day long before he signs but I think letting a guy out of his LOI after signing and after the draft is over just based on (or using the excuse of) an assistant coach leaving sets a really bad precedent.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-28-2016, 09:57 AM
We got Jarrod Parks the same way from Tulane when Cohen 1st got here. He was released from his LOI in July.

HoopsDawg
06-28-2016, 10:35 AM
Classy move by Cohen. He honestly just went up in my eyes. The kid wanted to leave, we let him leave.

msstate7
06-28-2016, 10:37 AM
Classy move by Cohen. He honestly just went up in my eyes. The kid wanted to leave, we let him leave.

Hopefully this a good sign on what Cohen thinks we have as a pitching staff

maroonmania
06-28-2016, 10:38 AM
We got Jarrod Parks the same way from Tulane when Cohen 1st got here. He was released from his LOI in July.

Didn't realize that although Parks would have been a JUCO I believe. Anyway, don't like it even when it benefits us but I guess its gotten to where baseball players are virtual free agents after every season since they can transfer and not sit out if they are released (I guess that's the rule).

maroonmania
06-28-2016, 10:50 AM
Hopefully this a good sign on what Cohen thinks we have as a pitching staff

Good point, and Miller may think there are too many good young pitchers in front of him to get much time on the mound right now. Who knows.

Count Istvan Teleky
06-28-2016, 11:06 AM
Good point, and Miller may think there are too many good young pitchers in front of him to get much time on the mound right now. Who knows.

Both guys signed and then opted for Clemson. At least Nick showed up on campus before deciding it wasn't for him.

Might be some Clemson meddling going on over there...

Todd4State
06-28-2016, 11:32 AM

Actually what happened was he had to have some class to get into Tulane that he didn't need to get into MSU. We discreetly told him to not take the class therefore he was ineligible to get into Tulane thus the NLI was null and void.

And I'm not 100% sure but my educated guess is he most likely contacted Cohen after he was hired since he was a huge MSU fan and Polk never gave him the time of day.

Todd4State
06-28-2016, 11:35 AM

Possible. Pilkington, Breaux, Small, and possibly Paul Young and Jared Padgett at a minimum would be ahead of him. Likely Keegan James and Ryan Cyr as well.

maroonmania
06-28-2016, 12:10 PM
Possible. Pilkington, Breaux, Small, and possibly Paul Young and Jared Padgett at a minimum would be ahead of him. Likely Keegan James and Ryan Cyr as well.

You would think us bringing in a guy with the reputation Gary Henderson has would be very attractive to a young pitcher.

Todd4State
06-28-2016, 02:53 PM
You would think us bringing in a guy with the reputation Gary Henderson has would be very attractive to a young pitcher.

You would think so. But I'm still not buying Miller's excuse on that. Especially when the first part of his explanation is "Clemson is where I always wanted to go."

djaymsu5
06-28-2016, 05:19 PM
I think he always wanted to go to Clemson and they are just now offering him on the back end probably because they lost someone to the draft and he's using the coaching change as a convenient excuse.

Sounds about right