PDA

View Full Version : Rosebowl says bowl ban coming to OM

ShotgunDawg
06-27-2016, 03:20 PM
Just listened to the Boneyard and Rosebowl stated that he is now convinced OM will get at least a one year bowl ban and potentially more.

Of concern, he also said that look for OM to declare a bowl ban for 2016 if they get off to a slow start. Personally, I think that's wrong and similar to declaring scholarship reductions when you miss on some players.

I think it's absurd that the NCAA would consider a bowl ban valid if a team declares it after the start of the season. Not sure there is justice there.

Leroy Jenkins
06-27-2016, 03:30 PM
So they start off 2-3 and self impose a Birmingham Bowl ban? Genius. But, hey, if I were in their shoes I may do that also. Hopefully the NCAA will say "thanks but no thanks, we will decide".

Bothrops
06-27-2016, 04:11 PM
What about vacated W's?

Original48
06-27-2016, 04:13 PM
I like Bama's strategy...receive a bowl ban and plan an opener AT HAWAII the next year. THAT is genius.

Jack Lambert
06-27-2016, 04:16 PM
Just listened to the Boneyard and Rosebowl stated that he is now convinced OM will get at least a one year bowl ban and potentially more.

Of concern, he also said that look for OM to declare a bowl ban for 2016 if they get off to a slow start. Personally, I think that's wrong and similar to declaring scholarship reductions when you miss on some players.

I think it's absurd that the NCAA would consider a bowl ban valid if a team declares it after the start of the season. Not sure there is justice there.

They will not get to count the past recruiting season but they can chose to take the bowl band this year or not. I think OSU screwed themselves by not taking it the first year after it was announced. They were 6-6 and went to a bowl game. The next year they were 12-0 and had to stay home. Bama got to go to the BCS NC that year and won.

Miami really screwed themselves. They did not go to a bowl for two seasons waiting on the ncaa to announce punishment. But once it came it was behind them.

maroonmania
06-27-2016, 04:20 PM
They will not get to count the past recruiting season but they can chose to take the bowl band this year or not. I think OSU screwed themselves by not taking it the first year after it was announced. They were 6-6 and went to a bowl game. The next year they were 12-0 and had to stay home. Bama got to go to the BCS NC that year and won.

Miami really screwed themselves. They did not go to a bowl for two seasons waiting on the ncaa to announce punishment. But once it came it was behind them.

Yes, but if you can take it the first year its announced then you get by with essentially NO effect on recruiting. It really won't affect anyone other than current players that way.

mic
06-27-2016, 04:31 PM
If the loss of scholarships come hard and heavy the bowl bans won't matter in a few years.

LockeDawg
06-27-2016, 04:35 PM

I think it's absurd that the NCAA would consider a bowl ban valid if a team declares it after the start of the season. Not sure there is justice there.OM has already submitted their response to the NOA, shouldn't they have already declared for a 2016 bowl ban in their initial response? Sanctions/penalties are handed down from the COI - and with the new draft night crap that hit the fan...this whole thing is still in the investigative stage and won't get to the COI for a long while. In other words, OM can declare for a '16 bowl ban if they want to but that doesn't mean the COI will accept it while things are still under investigation.

LockeDawg
06-27-2016, 04:37 PM
If the loss of scholarships come hard and heavy the bowl bans won't matter in a few years.

True - by year 3 they will have a diminished roster with very little depth to get them through this conference let alone bowl eligibility.

benbow
06-27-2016, 04:37 PM
Vacated wins are totally meaningless. I would take our 9 and 2 season with Bruce Threadgill at quarterback all over again. All of those wins were vacated. Furthermore, we passed on claiming an SEC championship when Florida wins were vacated under Charlie Pell. Emery Bellard would have no part of winning a championship anywhere but on the field. All you get is a bunch of *'s.

MSUDawg99
06-27-2016, 04:44 PM
Vacated wins are totally meaningless. I would take our 9 and 2 season with Bruce Threadgill at quarterback all over again. All of those wins were vacated. Furthermore, we passed on claiming an SEC championship when Florida wins were vacated under Charlie Pell. Emery Bellard would have no part of winning a championship anywhere but on the field. All you get is a bunch of *'s.

I agree

Liverpooldawg
06-27-2016, 04:45 PM

Those wins weren't vacated. The were forfeited. That is a MAJOR difference.

Taog Redloh
06-27-2016, 04:48 PM
Rosebowl and Coach34 have an awful lot riding on this whole probation deal. I would love nothing more than to see them proven right. Wake me up when it hits.

PassInterference
06-27-2016, 05:10 PM
I like Bama's strategy...receive a bowl ban and plan an opener AT HAWAII the next year. THAT is genius.

Texas did one better and scheduled a end-of-season extra game at Hawaii. Did it for the same season that the bowl ban was in place.

AlmostPositive
06-27-2016, 05:13 PM
A good time to consider believing any Ole Miss source would be when any one of them tells the truth for the first time about anything to do with this topic.

They will be hammered. It is in our best interests that their minions not see it coming.

After the penalties, a decade of disgrace and bad football, only one of which will matter to the Bears.

HSVDawg
06-27-2016, 06:36 PM
He wasn't stepping very far out on a limb with that call. I think most people with half a brain and a zip code outside Lafayette County realize that, with 8 Level 1 infractions, a bowl ban is a foregone conclusion. The only question is if it will be one year or multiple years.

Coach34
06-27-2016, 06:55 PM
He wasn't stepping very far out on a limb with that call. I think most people with half a brain and a zip code outside Lafayette County realize that, with 8 Level 1 infractions, a bowl ban is a foregone conclusion. The only question is if it will be one year or multiple years.

exactly. They may get 2 years- 1 is a certainty

raymond21
06-27-2016, 07:38 PM
Ross and Freeze telling the sheep 14 scholarships over 4 years. If true , this will have little or no effect on the program.

Jack Lambert
06-27-2016, 07:43 PM
Yes, but if you can take it the first year its announced then you get by with essentially NO effect on recruiting. It really won't affect anyone other than current players that way.

They are not Ohio State. Bowl ban will kill recruiting for them. The lose of scholarships and the real possibility of senior transferring due to the post season ban will kill them.

hobiedawg
06-27-2016, 07:44 PM
They haven't told the truth, yet.

mic
06-27-2016, 07:53 PM
Ross and Freeze telling the sheep 14 scholarships over 4 years. If true , this will have little or no effect on the program.

This is the 4th time their story has been changed...
You can probably double the scholarships and add a year with a 2year bowl ban..

starkvegasdawg
06-27-2016, 07:54 PM

They've also said there was no investigation.

Spiderman
06-27-2016, 07:56 PM

Not gonna argue with him or say he's wrong because he's been pretty much on the nose about this.

But I still don't see a bowl ban. The SEC will help them out on that. Sure Sanky can't be on the committee when the OM stuff comes up. But anybody who has ever served on something like that, as I have, will tell you the members of the committee take care of each other.

Because it may be your ass the next time and you need a little help. It's human nature.

state66
06-27-2016, 08:02 PM

This type of stuff is whats bull shit from the OM fanbase. OM has to go before the COI for their ruling. They have no idea how they will rule.

BossDawg
06-27-2016, 08:19 PM
But I still don't see a bowl ban. The SEC will help them out on that. Sure Sanky can't be on the committee when the OM stuff comes up. But anybody who has ever served on something like that, as I have, will tell you the members of the committee take care of each other.

I think some people are putting too much stock into what the SEC can and/or will do for UM. Homeboy Slive ain't there anymore.

msstate7
06-27-2016, 08:28 PM
Not gonna argue with him or say he's wrong because he's been pretty much on the nose about this.

Because it may be your ass the next time and you need a little help. It's human nature.

That's weird bc I thought the investigation kicked off bc of fellow sec schools turning om in

Political Hack
06-27-2016, 08:46 PM
OM has already submitted their response to the NOA, shouldn't they have already declared for a 2016 bowl ban in their initial response? Sanctions/penalties are handed down from the COI - and with the new draft night crap that hit the fan...this whole thing is still in the investigative stage and won't get to the COI for a long while. In other words, OM can declare for a '16 bowl ban if they want to but that doesn't mean the COI will accept it while things are still under investigation.

There's a 2nd issue, but any self imposed penalties would need to be included in the response. Unless they're planning to ban themselves from a bowl game due to the Tunsil draft night fiasco.

Bass Chaser
06-27-2016, 08:48 PM
So any word on if they received a delay?

scottycameron
06-27-2016, 09:16 PM
Texas did one better and scheduled a end-of-season extra game at Hawaii. Did it for the same season that the bowl ban was in place.

Do you guys have Alzheimer's ?

spbdawg
06-27-2016, 09:19 PM
#

Coach34
06-28-2016, 12:08 AM
I'm telling you 100%- they are getting a bowl ban.

LeakyD
06-28-2016, 06:05 AM
I agree on the bowl ban. I would like to see one this year to slap some reality into their fans. Future bowl bans and loss of coaches will be the most impactful though.

Unrelated thought on the "hit piece". What ever happened in the Bobby Hill situation where there was a sexual assault on the big recruiting weekend? John Pitts almost lost his job at The Journal when he said he heard bigger names were involved. Never heard anything about Hill again. OM fans are crying "look at Baylor", but Oxford police and University officials seem to clear players of wrongdoing almost immediately. They can't say that about MSU when our greatest player ever gets a DUI without a positive test.

Brando
06-28-2016, 07:04 AM
Their Bowl Ban will mean a trip to Cancun to do "Mission Work"......

Dawgface
06-28-2016, 07:07 AM
Yeah....I would love to see them go to the Weed Wacker bowl this year and then get handed a 2 year bowl ban.

Reason2succeed
06-28-2016, 07:43 AM
8 level 1 violations in football so far and many other violations in other sports ought to be end of sports at OM if the COI was doling out actual justice. It is like none of them could/would read the rules. Like Robertson said you can't take the test on the rules, pass it, then act like they were "honest mistakes" when you violate them UNLESS like their Waynesboro Academic center they had someone to take the test for them.

With a second round of violations pending OM is in the running for the dirtiest program Eva. How the NCAA responds to that we don't know? It's impossible to tell. But if they were to simply follow their matrix flat out there would be intramural sports being played on Saturday evening in the Fall under the bright lights of VHS.

raymond21
06-28-2016, 07:49 AM
Personally a bowl ban is meaningless. A steeper scholarship reduction in the neighborhood of 25 is the back breaker

ElitedawgRecruiting
06-28-2016, 07:54 AM
The NCAA in no shape form or fashion is going to shut down the entire ole miss athletic department.

I have been saying this and will keep saying it. It's gonna be way to much for ole miss people and not nearly enough for Msu people when all is said and done.

StatesboroBlues
06-28-2016, 07:57 AM
Personally a bowl ban is meaningless. A steeper scholarship reduction in the neighborhood of 25 is the back breaker

Actually it is not...a bowl ban would cause a few recruits to rethink UM as a decision but most of all it would cause a # of players to transfer. The more that transfer out that first year the harder it is for UM to stay at the max # of scholarships they will be able to allow. So yes, the scholarship reduction is the biggest of all but that bowl ban could magnify the reductions...

HancockCountyDog
06-28-2016, 09:10 AM
Can someone tell me how many Level 1 infractions ULL had? I can't find the number anywhere. Someone on twitter said they just had 1. If that is true, the bears are screwed.

I thought ULL had between 3 and 5. Can anyone get some clarity on that issue. The bears have 8. I don't care that some happened under my favorite bear coach of all time (Nutt), if ULL got 3 and 11 for 3 Level 1 infractions, the bears will be at 4 and 16 at a minimum.

HancockCountyDog
06-28-2016, 09:11 AM

I agree with this, a one year bowl ban doesn't affect recruits because normally the ban occurs the year before the recruits get on campus.

If there was a choice between 4 and 15 on scholarhips plus a one year bowl ban, or 4 and 20 and no bowl ban, I go with 4 and 20 all day.

Scholarship limitations, that is how you gut a program.

Coach34
06-28-2016, 09:17 AM
A bowl ban is a huge penalty- as are scholarship reductions

They are getting both- and I will feel like the NCAA did their job. Only question is will it be this year or next

fishwater99
06-28-2016, 09:17 AM

20+ over 4 years
Bowl Ban 1 or 2 years
3 coaches with Show Clauses

Liverpooldawg
06-28-2016, 09:19 AM
Do y'all seriously think they will stop cheating just because they go on probation, get a bowl ban, lose coaches, and lose ever how many scholarships?

MSUDawg99
06-28-2016, 09:21 AM
Their Bowl Ban will mean a trip to Cancun to do "Mission Work"......

You misspelled Haiti

Coach34
06-28-2016, 09:23 AM
Do y'all seriously think they will stop cheating just because they go on probation, get a bowl ban, lose coaches, and lose ever how many scholarships?

no

msstate7
06-28-2016, 09:25 AM
I think they'll limit their cheating more to in-state prospects... Kinda like this year

blacklistedbully
06-28-2016, 09:25 AM

Not completely, but surely they would cut way back. SMU got the death penalty because they continued the payments after sanctions and got caught. The chances of getting caught are very slim, but the potential penalties could give them pause.

starkvegasdawg
06-28-2016, 09:26 AM

I'd have to say no.

Political Hack
06-28-2016, 09:26 AM
The NCAA in no shape form or fashion is going to shut down the entire ole miss athletic department.

I have been saying this and will keep saying it. It's gonna be way to much for ole miss people and not nearly enough for Msu people when all is said and done.

Well, anything more than 3 over 9 will seem excessive to them and anything less than the death penalty will seem light to us. It'll definitely be somewhere between those two.

I think it's going to be north of 21-22 scholarships, a 1-2 year bowl ban, and I think they put the clamps down on official visits too. Along with a spattering of show causes for multiple coaches/administrators.

TrapGame
06-28-2016, 09:30 AM
I think they'll limit their cheating more to in-state prospects... Kinda like this year

Bingo!

As long as it's all in-state fights over recruits with a Z71 here or a Mustang there the NCAA will give zero shits and Saban and Harbaugh will be appeased.

Original48
06-28-2016, 09:37 AM
Yes i misspoke...end of season for Alabama at Hawaii as well..
http://www.rolltide.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/112602aac.html

maroonmania
06-28-2016, 09:58 AM
Well, anything more than 3 over 9 will seem excessive to them and anything less than the death penalty will seem light to us. It'll definitely be somewhere between those two.

I think it's going to be north of 21-22 scholarships, a 1-2 year bowl ban, and I think they put the clamps down on official visits too. Along with a spattering of show causes for multiple coaches/administrators.

Well a little bit of an overstatement on what MSU fans would expect. Not even SMU got the death penalty before they were repeat offenders. UNM is not a repeat offender in the eyes of the NCAA even though anyone who has observed their recruiting practices over the years would know they are a constant offender. Their major boosters can't stand it if they are not highly tied into the recruiting process and "helping" the cause.

Pollodawg
06-28-2016, 10:01 AM
Footage of Hugh Freeze meeting with NCAA officials. Pay attention to the part where he stresses that nothing shady is going on...................Not long before he goes to jail later in the movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0lByEmGkkU

blacklistedbully
06-28-2016, 11:39 AM
Can someone tell me how many Level 1 infractions ULL had? I can't find the number anywhere. Someone on twitter said they just had 1. If that is true, the bears are screwed.

I thought ULL had between 3 and 5. Can anyone get some clarity on that issue. The bears have 8. I don't care that some happened under my favorite bear coach of all time (Nutt), if ULL got 3 and 11 for 3 Level 1 infractions, the bears will be at 4 and 16 at a minimum.

4, and they did not have the aggravating circumstances of multiple sports with 16 (8 for football alone) level 1, 8 level 2 and 28 overall violations like UNM.

Liverpooldawg
06-28-2016, 11:48 AM
no

Me either.

Mutt the Hoople
06-28-2016, 01:08 PM
Death Penalty for two seasons, no scholarships the next two (come back in D-3), then if they stay clean, maybe the Sun Belt will take them.

Dawgology
06-28-2016, 01:45 PM
Death Penalty for two seasons, no scholarships the next two (come back in D-3), then if they stay clean, maybe the Sun Belt will take them.

There would be mass suicides. The NCAA can't do that just on the basis of saving human lives...

LockeDawg
06-28-2016, 01:53 PM
4, and they did not have the aggravating circumstances of multiple sports with 16 (8 for football alone) level 1, 8 level 2 and 28 overall violations like UNM.I don't want to sound like a dick about this, but if that's not Lack of Institutional Control AND Failure to Monitor then I don't know what the hell is.

blacklistedbully
06-28-2016, 01:57 PM

Funny thing is, you'll now see a complete imbecile like OleMissGuy take this as a literal prediction and run to every MB he can find, posting, "this is what those crazy guys at ED think!" He's either too stupid to understand when someone is being facetious, or it's just his innate dishonesty (he is an habitual liar).

Bubb Rubb
06-28-2016, 01:57 PM
I don't want to sound like a dick about this, but if that's not Lack of Institutional Control AND Failure to Monitor then I don't know what the hell is.

The ironic thing about that is that what they do is the very definition OF institutional control. Everything is set up there to work the way it has to this point. The plan was working well until Freeze decided to call Lindsey Miller a wife beater.

AlSwearengen
06-28-2016, 02:02 PM
as a lifelong MSU fan, if we were looking at what olemiss has actually admitted to, I would be terrified. And maybe it is because I am a lifelong MSU fan that I somehow expect them to somehow not get what they deserve as compared to what ULL got for instance.

TimberBeast
06-28-2016, 02:42 PM
as a lifelong MSU fan, if we were looking at what olemiss has actually admitted to, I would be terrified. And maybe it is because I am a lifelong MSU fan that I somehow expect them to somehow not get what they deserve as compared to what ULL got for instance.

I agree, and to be honest if we were accused of and caught with everything they have been so far, I would say we deserved every bit of punishment we got.

Bully13
06-28-2016, 02:59 PM
I still don't understand the no discussion on how Tunsil's family moved to Oxford. What about the cash returned by the bamer signee? What about the bamer player who had to sit a few games? What about all the stuff miller said to the media? Does the NCAA not know about all the cash tossed around during crootin weekends? Are they going to get busted for buying players like everyone knows?

msstate7
06-28-2016, 03:16 PM
Maybe the NCAA can't prove those instances. Even if they can't prove them though, the NCAA could still decide to ramp up the punishment for the charges they can prove bc they know about the others.

Taog Redloh
06-28-2016, 03:16 PM
I still don't understand the no discussion on how Tunsil's family moved to Oxford. What about the cash returned by the bamer signee? What about the bamer player who had to sit a few games? What about all the stuff miller said to the media? Does the NCAA not know about all the cash tossed around during crootin weekends? Are they going to get busted for buying players like everyone knows?

I'm with you. Certainly seems like no one cares at all.

I say again, Rosey and Corch have a lot riding on this.

Dawg Tired
06-28-2016, 03:25 PM
I don't post much but I thought this was interesting.
I spoke with an ex Auburn player from Mississippi who works with me. He gave me a great amount of insight with regards to the cheating that Ole Miss routinely involve themselves in. He told me when he was being recruited he was pretty set on going to Auburn. His coach got him out of class one day to introduce him to some Ole Miss recruiters (no names given). He told them he was pretty set on Auburn but his mom wanted him to go to Ole Miss. That weekend, a couple boosters drove up to his house. One was driving a truck with the sticker still in the window. He gave him the truck and said he would have a great career at Ole Miss. He took the truck and just as an excited 17 year old would do, he drove it to his dad's house to show him. His dad got pissed and talked to him. He said his dad told him nothing is free. Said his family don't need handouts. He brought the truck back to the dealership and Ole Miss never contacted him again.
Also of note, he said Croom came to talk to him. Told me how nice and upfront Croom was. He told Crooms that he's sorry but wasn't going to State. Croom said he never had anyone tell him straight up like that and he appreciated the honesty. I'm sure he got more used to it as his career went on.
And to top it off, he said he went to Auburn last month and met with the coaches and team. Talking to one of the assistants he questioned why Auburn doesn't recruit Mississippi as much. The coach told him that if the players are talented and honest they go to State. All the others are being scooped up by Ole Miss boosters. He said Ole Miss cheats so hard that it's not worth it. I was thinking the whole time that's a bit of the pot calling the kettle black.
We've had some good conversations from the 3-2 offensive struggle to Derek Pegues. Nice guy.

Percho
06-28-2016, 03:27 PM
Maybe the NCAA can't prove those instances. Even if they can't prove them though, the NCAA could still decide to ramp up the punishment for the charges they can prove bc they know about the others.

I would bet they can prove just as much in the Tunsil situation as could be proved in the Sidney situation as to where money comes from.

BulldogBear
06-28-2016, 03:33 PM
I agree
+1

HSVDawg
06-28-2016, 03:44 PM

You (and others) are talking about a potential bowl ban like it is just a hair below the death penalty in terms of punishment severity. That's not even close to the truth. In the early 90's, bowl bans were about the most severe punishments that the NCAA would hand out, but that has changed a lot.

Here is a more accurate list of punishment severity in order of most severe to least severe:
1) Death penalty (won't ever happen again)
2) Show cause for head coach
3) Severe scholarship reductions
4) Bowl ban
5) Assistant coach show causes
6) Probation

Numbers 5 and 6 have more or less already happened for OM. They self imposed probation already in their NOA response, Saunders got his show cause, and Vaughn most definitely has one coming. It's a certainty that the NCAA will impose some combination of numbers 3 and 4. The only question is how many scholarships and how many years the bowl ban will be. Honestly, outside of the elite programs in the national championship hunt, nobody really gives a shit about a one year bowl ban. It would be fun to poke at OM for that 4 week window between the Egg Bowl and NYD about staying home for the postseason, but it will have minimal long term effect if its just a one year ban. It's definitely not something that Sankey should try and throw his weight around to prevent from happening. The juice isn't worth the squeeze.

Bully13
06-28-2016, 04:49 PM
I spoke with an ex Auburn player from Mississippi who works with me. He gave me a great amount of insight with regards to the cheating that Ole Miss routinely involve themselves in. He told me when he was being recruited he was pretty set on going to Auburn. His coach got him out of class one day to introduce him to some Ole Miss recruiters (no names given). He told them he was pretty set on Auburn but his mom wanted him to go to Ole Miss. That weekend, a couple boosters drove up to his house. One was driving a truck with the sticker still in the window. He gave him the truck and said he would have a great career at Ole Miss. He took the truck and just as an excited 17 year old would do, he drove it to his dad's house to show him. His dad got pissed and talked to him. He said his dad told him nothing is free. Said his family don't need handouts. He brought the truck back to the dealership and Ole Miss never contacted him again.
Also of note, he said Croom came to talk to him. Told me how nice and upfront Croom was. He told Crooms that he's sorry but wasn't going to State. Croom said he never had anyone tell him straight up like that and he appreciated the honesty. I'm sure he got more used to it as his career went on.
And to top it off, he said he went to Auburn last month and met with the coaches and team. Talking to one of the assistants he questioned why Auburn doesn't recruit Mississippi as much. The coach told him that if the players are talented and honest they go to State. All the others are being scooped up by Ole Miss boosters. He said Ole Miss cheats so hard that it's not worth it. I was thinking the whole time that's a bit of the pot calling the kettle black.
We've had some good conversations from the 3-2 offensive struggle to Derek Pegues. Nice guy.

Post more stuff like this. Liked that.

PassInterference
06-28-2016, 05:04 PM

I'm not buying this.

JoseBrown
06-28-2016, 05:06 PM
You (and others) are talking about a potential bowl ban like it is just a hair below the death penalty in terms of punishment severity. That's not even close to the truth. In the early 90's, bowl bans were about the most severe punishments that the NCAA would hand out, but that has changed a lot.

Here is a more accurate list of punishment severity in order of most severe to least severe:
4) Bowl ban
6) Probation

Numbers 5 and 6 have more or less already happened for OM. They self imposed probation already in their NOA response, Saunders got his show cause, and Vaughn most definitely has one coming. It's a certainty that the NCAA will impose some combination of numbers 3 and 4. The only question is how many scholarships and how many years the bowl ban will be. Honestly, outside of the elite programs in the national championship hunt, nobody really gives a shit about a one year bowl ban. It would be fun to poke at OM for that 4 week window between the Egg Bowl and NYD about staying home for the postseason, but it will have minimal long term effect of its just a one year ban. It's definitely not something that Sankey should try and throw his weight around to prevent from happening. The juice isn't worth the squeeze.

Two things, bowl bans used to carry much more weight simply because there were a fraction of how many bowls there are now. You can have a losing record and get a bowl now. Teams used to have to earn a bowl game.

Secondly, does the end of year payout change with a bowl ban now? That would be the difference nowadays, and obviously missing out on some free stuff for the players. They can always schedule a nice trip game if can't go to a bowl

Reason2succeed
06-28-2016, 05:31 PM

4) Bowl ban
6) Probation

Numbers 5 and 6 have more or less already happened for OM. They self imposed probation already in their NOA response, Saunders got his show cause, and Vaughn most definitely has one coming. It's a certainty that the NCAA will impose some combination of numbers 3 and 4. The only question is how many scholarships and how many years the bowl ban will be. Honestly, outside of the elite programs in the national championship hunt, nobody really gives a shit about a one year bowl ban. It would be fun to poke at OM for that 4 week window between the Egg Bowl and NYD about staying home for the postseason, but it will have minimal long term effect of its just a one year ban. It's definitely not something that Sankey should try and throw his weight around to prevent from happening. The juice isn't worth the squeeze.

If the death penalty is off the table then no one told the NCAA because small schools and non-revenue generating sports are still getting the death penalty. If it is proven that the death penalty has been taken off of the table for one sport and not the others then a lawsuit is bound to happen sooner or later.

gravedigger
06-28-2016, 06:09 PM

Hell, they didnt stop cheating during the investigation. Who would think that?

gravedigger
06-28-2016, 06:21 PM

I think this is exactly the case. They know they've been lied to. They know what doesn't pass the smell test and they are dealing with a program that thinks the committee is dependent upon the rules of evidence to impose infractions.

Which will make the screams of "everybody does it" even more melodic. It will make "yall are just jealous" and "doesnt erase the wins" even sweeter to hear.

No, everybody doesnt.
Those that do arent nearly as naive to believe its justified.
Nobody wants success followed by an asterisk
It proves unequivocally they admit they cannot earn the fruits of actual success.

Pollodawg
06-28-2016, 06:37 PM
As a law school, Ole Miss is looking at this as a legal question, as in courts and precedent and statutes. The NCAA is not bound by any of that.

Johnson85
06-28-2016, 06:58 PM
Two things, bowl bans used to carry much more weight simply because there were a fraction of how many bowls there are now. You can have a losing record and get a bowl now. Teams used to have to earn a bowl game.

Secondly, does the end of year payout change with a bowl ban now? That would be the difference nowadays, and obviously missing out on some free stuff for the players. They can always schedule a nice trip game if can't go to a bowl

I was once told that while under a post season ban, you don't get your cut of the conference bowl money, but that if you make it through the end of probation, you get half of what you would have otherwise received. Person that told me that was a student worker for the Athletic department. Didn't provide any source of this rule, so if that's even the way it worked, that could have been an SEC rule.

msbulldog
06-28-2016, 06:58 PM

HMMM? Enforcer?

Dawgcentral
06-28-2016, 07:16 PM
It's my understanding the bowl and TV revenue is withheld until the probation period expires.

Turfdawg67
06-28-2016, 08:06 PM

Yes! And where are the burner phones??

Coach34
06-28-2016, 09:29 PM
Yes! And where are the burner phones??

The NCAA has them- why do you ask?

Dawgowar
06-28-2016, 09:42 PM
The NCAA spent three years on that campus. They know what is going on. UNC may skate which means they cannot afford to let an SEC football team that is looked at by their peers as cheats to go free. There are multiple big conferences who also know how UNM does business. This isn't going to go well.

Now, wouldn't it be funny if, after avoiding the summer COI session a big news story breaks and opens all this up again? I mean what if new evidence forced the NCAA to re-insert the probe for another 10-12 months? And this time the public knew they were being looked at again. Wow, they might end up having the NCAA push their hearing another 12 months down the road. And they will not be able to deny it. They might start to resemble the train wreck we became. Recruits cost more and have less to offer in the character department.

Let it breathe.

Dawgowar
06-28-2016, 09:45 PM
The NCAA has them- why do you ask?

Coach you promised we could see the call logs at the last Waffle House meeting. Don't forget.

Coach34
06-28-2016, 09:48 PM
Coach you promised we could see the call logs at the last Waffle House meeting. Don't forget.

Im selling framed pics of me, Rosey, and Bo Bounds with a big plate of smothered, covered, and chunked in front of us

Dawgowar
06-28-2016, 09:50 PM
Im selling framed pics of me, Rosey, and Bo Bounds with a big plate of smothered, covered, and chunked in front of us

8x10's or Black Velvet Truck Stop art style?

Reason2succeed
06-29-2016, 04:02 AM
The NCAA spent three years on that campus. They know what is going on. UNC may skate which means they cannot afford to let an SEC football team that is looked at by their peers as cheats to go free. There are multiple big conferences who also know how UNM does business. This isn't going to go well.

Now, wouldn't it be funny if, after avoiding the summer COI session a big news story breaks and opens all this up again? I mean what if new evidence forced the NCAA to re-insert the probe for another 10-12 months? And this time the public knew they were being looked at again. Wow, they might end up having the NCAA push their hearing another 12 months down the road. And they will not be able to deny it. They might start to resemble the train wreck we became. Recruits cost more and have less to offer in the character department.

Let it breathe.

Either the NCAA is going to crack down or cease to be relevant. If OM or UNC skates I could see other institutions that have been hammered by the NCAA suing or pulling out. We live in a different world than just 20 years ago when people would just ignore obvious corruption. For example if the NCAA hammered my school for one of the infractions that OM or UNC are found guilty of but give them less or little more than what they hit my directional school with then there is a serious problem of injustice.

The amount of cheating that OM has done is literally going to force the hand of the NCAA to punish them severely. The biggest task for the COI is going to be figuring out how not to hit OM with penalties that are so crippling that it affects the rest of the SEC. Because according to their infraction penalty matrix OM is supposed to be reduced to a D3 NAIA program.

Johnson85
06-29-2016, 08:54 AM
It's my understanding the bowl and TV revenue is withheld until the probation period expires.

Surely they don't withold tv money any more, do they? Deferring $18M would be brutal.

MedDawg
06-29-2016, 01:18 PM
I was once told that while under a post season ban, you don't get your cut of the conference bowl money, but that if you make it through the end of probation, you get half of what you would have otherwise received. Person that told me that was a student worker for the Athletic department. Didn't provide any source of this rule, so if that's even the way it worked, that could have been an SEC rule.

That is what the SEC did in State's 2004 probation. Total withheld was $4million, and $2million was returned after 4 years. I find it difficult to believe they would do the same to OM, as it would be a much larger amount now.

Turfdawg67
06-29-2016, 04:29 PM
[QUOTE=Coach34;577970]The NCAA has them- why do you ask?]

Zero mention in NOA. No mention of the Bama players being offered money either. It really looks like the ncaa had little on freeze until Miller started singing and nothing on nkemdeche, treadwell or anyone else. To think how close they were to getting away with it!

Reason2succeed
06-29-2016, 04:33 PM
Zero mention in NOA. No mention of the Bama players being offered money either. It really looks like the ncaa had little on freeze until Miller started singing and nothing on nkemdeche, treadwell or anyone else. To think how close they were to getting away with it![/QUOTE]

https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSSFq8hYQ1xwTA9FJJ4g-UZGz0uHl4eKt_EIK-kAbQiGodc_4vS

Bully13
06-29-2016, 05:33 PM
So just to confirm, noa #1 went PRIOR To miller handing over financials?

HSVDawg
06-29-2016, 06:25 PM
So just to confirm, noa #1 went PRIOR To miller handing over financials?

No. Miller handed everything he had over to the NCAA last summer. It was around last 4th of July weekend that the fight with Miller and Tunsil happened.

Bully13
06-29-2016, 08:28 PM
No. Miller handed everything he had over to the NCAA last summer. It was around last 4th of July weekend that the fight with Miller and Tunsil happened.

That sux then. Someone who knows more than me about this shit needs to explain. Miller's comments to SI are either bullshit or the NCAA is trying to soften the blow. This is not good.

Reason2succeed
06-29-2016, 10:30 PM
That sux then. Someone who knows more than me about this shit needs to explain. Miller's comments to SI are either bullshit or the NCAA is trying to soften the blow. This is not good.

The NCAA can't help the fact that Tunsil basically corroborated Miller's story on national television on draft night though. Plus, it could be that the NCAA was just waiting until they had completely exposed the network before putting it out there. Leave to loopholes for these pricks to jump through would be my motto if I worked for the NCAA infractions committee.