PDA

View Full Version : Future P5 non-conference opponents

nsvltndog
06-27-2016, 09:24 AM
With Auburn announcing a home and home w/ Penn State today, it got me thinking about who would be next for MSU? We have BYU, Kansas State, NC State, and Arizona already scheduled. I'm thinking Washington State may be on deck. They recently hired Kirk Schulz as their President from Kansas State and he has MSU ties. They've already announced a home and home with Kansas State.

Taog Redloh
06-27-2016, 09:34 AM
I'd like to see a traditional B1G school (not Rutgers, Nebraska or Maryland). I'd probably even make that road trip. Maybe Indiana or Purdue.

HancockCountyDog
06-27-2016, 09:56 AM
I'd like to see a traditional B1G school (not Rutgers, Nebraska or Maryland). I'd probably even make that road trip. Maybe Indiana or Purdue.

We need one marque OOC game. Nebraska would be great. I want three patsies and one real game that we can get great exposure nationally.

That is what LSU, Bama, AU, A&M and the bears are doing and it is the right move. A non confernce game against Purdue? I like the KSU and Zona games.

Eric Nies Grind Time
06-27-2016, 09:57 AM

That way Mullen can knock out the game + job interviews all in one trip.

missouridawg
06-27-2016, 10:02 AM
We need one marque OOC game. Nebraska would be great. I want three patsies and one real game that we can get great exposure nationally.

That is what LSU, Bama, AU, A&M and the bears are doing and it is the right move. A non confernce game against Purdue? I like the KSU and Zona games.

When aTm, AU, and OM all get skull drug opening weekend, you will rethink your "right move" statement.

Pinto
06-27-2016, 10:02 AM
I'm surprised we haven't tried something with Ohio State. Not sure they would want to play us since it's not a 100% win-win scenario for them, but with the urben/Mullen tie it would be a big TV game.

missouridawg
06-27-2016, 10:12 AM
I'm surprised we haven't tried something with Ohio State. Not sure they would want to play us since it's not a 100% win-win scenario for them, but with the urben/Mullen tie it would be a big TV game.

They would never come to Starkville. Would require us to play in Atlanta or some other metropolitan area they want to recruit.

BrunswickDawg
06-27-2016, 10:17 AM
This is a handy site to keep around - http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/sec/mississippi-state-bulldogs.php

HancockCountyDog
06-27-2016, 10:18 AM
When aTm, AU, and OM all get skull drug opening weekend, you will rethink your "right move" statement.

When A&M beat a top 20 ASU team last year by 20, they received tons of exposure. They are the 2:30 CBS game this year against UCLA. Its great for their brand. Even though their results are worst than ours, they are branding themselves as a national brand. National brands play 1 big OOC game a year - now on Labor day weekend.

Its not just the game, its the weeks of hype leading up to the game.

Shit, I expect AU to get rolled by Clemson, but if they are competitive, its a win for AU. As for the bears, I don't know what to expect in that game. I expect them to lose, but they are the only game being played on Labor Day night. That is a ton of exposure.

If you want to be a national program, you have to act like it. These teams are acting like it, we should too. Scheduling a OOC game against Purdue is a freaking LT move.

Taog Redloh
06-27-2016, 10:38 AM
When A&M beat a top 20 ASU team last year by 20, they received tons of exposure. They are the 2:30 CBS game this year against UCLA. Its great for their brand. Even though their results are worst than ours, they are branding themselves as a national brand. National brands play 1 big OOC game a year - now on Labor day weekend.

Its not just the game, its the weeks of hype leading up to the game.

Shit, I expect AU to get rolled by Clemson, but if they are competitive, its a win for AU. As for the bears, I don't know what to expect in that game. I expect them to lose, but they are the only game being played on Labor Day night. That is a ton of exposure.

If you want to be a national program, you have to act like it. These teams are acting like it, we should too. Scheduling a OOC game against Purdue is a freaking LT move.

Acting like you are a national program when you aren't is even worse.

You do realize that those neutral site games are chosen, right? I don't think teams get to dictate where they go, outside the elite, who can call the shots. You essentially have to be invited.

was21
06-27-2016, 01:32 PM
Have been wanting a game with Purdue for a long time....another great land grant institution that has a known name and would be a good candidate home and away

Bubb Rubb
06-27-2016, 01:37 PM
Have been wanting a game with Purdue for a long time....another great land grant institution that has a known name and would be a good candidate home and away

These are the kind of games we should be playing. Power 5, known name, but still an easy win on the schedule. The problem is that everybody worth a damn is trying to get teams like this on their schedule.

BulldogBear
06-27-2016, 02:25 PM

Same here. Someone like Iowa or Illinois, maybe a Michigan State (can't see Michigan or Nebraska agreeing to come to Starkville yet, even if scheduled years in advance).