PDA

View Full Version : We are going to win a baseball national championship over the next 2 years.....

Taog Redloh
06-26-2016, 01:19 PM
2017 lineup could literally be already set:

1) Mangum, CF
2) Kruger, DH/C/LF
3) Rooker, RF
4) Gordon - 1B
5) Marrero - C/DH
6) Gridley - 2B
7) Alexander - SS
8) Stovall - 3B
9) Brown - LF/DH

That is without adding a single JUCO or freshman. If they beat someone out, all the better. Mangum/Kruger/Rooker might be the best 123 in the country, they are going to hurt you every single time out. We will only lose 3 guys off that lineup going into 2018, 4 if Gridley makes a huge jump and goes pro, I guess Gordon is a risk there too. But I figure I can count on at least 2 JUCOs to pan out from 2 recrootin classes, plus some freshmen for power.

I don't think we even need to discuss pitching. We have the talent on campus AT THIS MOMENT to do this. That's why getting a coach like Henderson is going to prove to be so important.

Harrydawg
06-26-2016, 01:29 PM
Yes and I can't tell you how interested I am to see how Riley, Skelton and Will Brooks add, especially with all the talent there......Noah Hughes will come back stronger than ever after TJ - I hope.

maroonwhitedawg3ddd
06-26-2016, 02:04 PM
I sure ass hell hope your right!!!

Maroons
06-26-2016, 02:07 PM
2017 lineup could literally be already set:

1) Mangum, CF
2) Kruger, DH/C/LF
3) Rooker, RF
4) Gordon - 1B
5) Marrero - C/DH
6) Gridley - 2B
7) Alexander - SS
8) Stovall - 3B
9) Brown - LF/DH

That is without adding a single JUCO or freshman. If they beat someone out, all the better. Mangum/Kruger/Rooker might be the best 123 in the country, they are going to hurt you every single time out. We will only lose 3 guys off that lineup going into 2018, 4 if Gridley makes a huge jump and goes pro, I guess Gordon is a risk there too. But I figure I can count on at least 2 JUCOs to pan out from 2 recrootin classes, plus some freshmen for power.

I don't think we even need to discuss pitching. We have the talent on campus AT THIS MOMENT to do this. That's why getting a coach like Henderson is going to prove to be so important.

I just don't see a lot of pop in that lineup. Losing a ton of production from Lowe, Collins, Robson, and Humphreys. That's a lot of slugging.

Engine
06-26-2016, 02:08 PM
Even the most talented team can't say that. Odds are we don't win the championship over the next two years.

shoeless joe
06-26-2016, 02:10 PM
We had the talent to do it this year...so talent alone won't do it. Gotta get hot and catch some breaks.

missouridawg
06-26-2016, 02:12 PM
I just don't see a lot of pop in that lineup. Losing a ton of production from Lowe, Collins, Robson, and Humphreys. That's a lot of slugging.

My concern as well. Lowe, Collins, and Humphreys provided a lot of SLG. We can hope that Cole Gordon helps fill that gap, but I still think we need one more (maybe even 2) power bat to go with Kruger, Rooker, and Gordon. If we get that out of one or two of the freshmans, then we should be legit again.

Jack Lambert
06-26-2016, 02:13 PM
My concern as well. Lowe, Collins, and Humphreys provided a lot of SLG. We can hope that Cole Gordon helps fill that gap, but I still think we need one more (maybe even 2) power bat to go with Kruger, Rooker, and Gordon. If we get that out of one or two of the freshmans, then we should be legit again.

Funny because three months ago Collins got bad mouth horribly here.

msstate7
06-26-2016, 02:19 PM

Goldwater and Bragg could help there too. Luke Alexander could potentially provide some pop also.

missouridawg
06-26-2016, 02:22 PM
Funny because three months ago Collins got bad mouth horribly here.

I certainly called him Bootsy Collins in multiple text messages this past season.... But his bat was very solid. A little streaky and certainly, not very clutch the last weekend, but overall very productive for us.

missouridawg
06-26-2016, 02:23 PM
Goldwater and Bragg could help there too. Luke Alexander could potentially provide some pop also.

I sure hope so. We need to add another Mangum to the lineup too. A freshman who adjust very quickly to the college game.

Steakonastick
06-26-2016, 02:31 PM
I think we could see Rooker at first. That is his pro position. Gordon reminds me of Jeff Flagg. Puts on a bp show but just strikes out way to much for my liking. I'm gonna guess

Cf mangum
ss gridley
Dh/C kruger
1b/rf Rooker
Rf/1b Goldwater
C marrero
Lf vansau
2b smith my surprise player
3b alexander

Taog Redloh
06-26-2016, 02:42 PM

Guess I just disagree. People will find out that Stovall might be one of the best players we got. Alexander can drop bombs too. Gridley is the type of upperclassman we need, I see him being the guy that carries us in an Omaha setting. Just wait.

Bothrops
06-26-2016, 04:11 PM
Will have less HR's with this lineup, which means more runs will have to be manufactured...Cohen style. We will be really good, though I really don't see a NC, but anything can happen, I guess.

Todd4State
06-26-2016, 04:25 PM

Goldwater is having a good summer. Bragg has had a horrible summer. We'll see if Bragg can improve.

Todd4State
06-26-2016, 04:26 PM
I think we could see Rooker at first. That is his pro position. Gordon reminds me of Jeff Flagg. Puts on a bp show but just strikes out way to much for my liking. I'm gonna guess

Cf mangum
ss gridley
Dh/C kruger
1b/rf Rooker
Rf/1b Goldwater
C marrero
Lf vansau
3b alexander

I think we're probably going to see Goldwater at first base and keep Rooker in the OF. Gordon will certainly be in the mix at first though.

Todd4State
06-26-2016, 04:29 PM
Guess I just disagree. People will find out that Stovall might be one of the best players we got. Alexander can drop bombs too. Gridley is the type of upperclassman we need, I see him being the guy that carries us in an Omaha setting. Just wait.

LA and Reed Smith will get a look at third base before Stovall does. Stovall is good- but his best position is second base. I know you're going to disagree and there's nothing I can say to change your mind. Stovall only ends up at third if those two and Bragg can't take the job though.

Todd4State
06-26-2016, 04:30 PM

Cf mangum
ss gridley
Dh/C kruger
1b/rf Rooker
Rf/1b Goldwater
C marrero
Lf vansau
3b alexander

I think your lineup is pretty close to being correct. I would say Stovall would be the second baseman over Reed Smith though.

Todd4State
06-26-2016, 04:33 PM
Will have less HR's with this lineup, which means more runs will have to be manufactured...Cohen style. We will be really good, though I really don't see a NC, but anything can happen, I guess.

Probably. It depends on how much power the JUCO's give us. I wouldn't be surprised if Goldwater matches Lowe's HR total. Vansau might be able to replace Humphreys HR total. I think Rooker will hit more. Collins 10 will be hard to replace.

MarketingBully
06-26-2016, 04:35 PM

It's a lineup better then Arizona's and they are playing for the national championship. You don't need that much pop. You just need a great defensive team, great pitching, and enough at the plate to get it done. Rooker and Kruger are two big bats that will anchor that lineup. Down the stretch we got nothing from Humphreys or Lowe. As long as we will have improved defensively in the infield and can hit enough we could actually improve overall. I know we will have plenty of pitching to get it done and our pitching will be the best Cohen has ever had here.

Taog Redloh
06-26-2016, 05:05 PM
LA and Reed Smith will get a look at third base before Stovall does. Stovall is good- but his best position is second base. I know you're going to disagree and there's nothing I can say to change your mind. Stovall only ends up at third if those two and Bragg can't take the job though.

You're right, I do disagree, this my original post. You know, it IS ok to do that. You sound like a deranged liberal when you try to paint your opinion as above reproach.

Unless one of the JUCOs dominate much like Lowe, then there will not be a reason not to start Stovall at 3B. The odds don't favor Bragg or whoever, winning the job.

CadaverDawg
06-26-2016, 05:17 PM
I think Gridley emerges as one of our better bats next year as a Junior. He hit the ball hard this year, but he didn't start using the whole field until later in the season.

Ultimately, we'll go as far as our pitching takes us, but I expect Gridley and Marrero to really have great years in addition to Mangum, Kruger, and Rooker. Marrero hit the ball hard all over the field, but right at people. He showed what he's capable of early on. That gives you 5 legit bats including speed and power to anchor your lineup. The rest of the spots will be a battle between Freshmen, Jucos, and the following: Stovall, Alexander, Gordon, and C Brown, to battle it out for the other 4 spots.

The big questions are going to be who steps up on the mound. Outside of a couple of lengthy outings by Pilk, we have no clue about a rotation...and only Rigby and Smith that are known commodities in the pen. For us to even make the Regionals, we gotta have some Girodos form in some of the following:

Cyr
James
Small
Breaux
Billingsley
Young
Padgett
Hughes, Ford (one of the injured from 2016)
Freshmen or Juco

I honestly didn't see a ton to get my hopes up out of that group. A lot can change in a year though.

MarketingBully
06-26-2016, 05:21 PM
Don't forget Padget Cadaver. Also, we had more unknowns last year with this staff then this year.

CadaverDawg
06-26-2016, 05:32 PM
Don't forget Padget Cadaver. Also, we had more unknowns last year with this staff then this year.

Not sure how I forgot Padgett (just added him). I'm expecting him to step up in 2017. But will he? That's the thing...all we heard was how we had several immediate impact arms in last year's class, but that wasn't the case. So it's hard for me to say "pitching is in good shape", when the only three guys I truly have faith in that are returning, are Pilk, Rigby, and Smith. And I'm not confident any of those 3 can go more than 4-5 innings at this point...even Pilk.

Don't get me wrong...the talent is clearly there. I'm just saying these guys can't just show up. They have got to make huge strides this off season. I'm confident some will.

smootness
06-26-2016, 07:35 PM
Alexander will be our SS.

Taog Redloh
06-26-2016, 07:35 PM
Not sure how I forgot Padgett (just added him). I'm expecting him to step up in 2017. But will he? That's the thing...all we heard was how we had several immediate impact arms in last year's class, but that wasn't the case. So it's hard for me to say "pitching is in good shape", when the only three guys I truly have faith in that are returning, are Pilk, Rigby, and Smith. And I'm not confident any of those 3 can go more than 4-5 innings at this point...even Pilk.

Don't get me wrong...the talent is clearly there. I'm just saying these guys can't just show up. They have got to make huge strides this off season. I'm confident some will.

I think they'd have stepped up this year had we given them he ball early and let them play through the lumps. Fortunately, we had a bunch of juniors so we didn't need them to do that.

MarketingBully
06-26-2016, 07:47 PM

Last year all we had was Sexton as far as who we could trust. Hudson was inconsistent as hell in 2015 but we hoped he would make the jump he did this year. We have a ton of arms and I'm just glad we will have a full season of a pitching coach with them. The 2017 year will have a much better staff then 2016 did.

Coach34
06-26-2016, 07:58 PM
Gridley is going to be our SS

Todd4State
06-26-2016, 08:31 PM
You're right, I do disagree, this my original post. You know, it IS ok to do that. You sound like a deranged liberal when you try to paint your opinion as above reproach.

Unless one of the JUCOs dominate much like Lowe, then there will not be a reason not to start Stovall at 3B. The odds don't favor Bragg or whoever, winning the job.

Actually, you are the one that paints your opinion above reproach. Even though you were wrong a lot more often than me. But carry on.

Nevermind that Cohen has basically tipped who he would start by playing LA over Stovall at third as defensive sub and starting LA twice there during the season to Stovall's 0 and LA appearing at third 13 times compared to Stovall's 7.

Todd4State
06-26-2016, 08:32 PM
Gridley is going to be our SS

I think you are right. Even though LA is better defensively.

Taog Redloh
06-26-2016, 08:41 PM
Actually, you are the one that paints your opinion above reproach. Even though you were wrong a lot more often than me. But carry on.

Nevermind that Cohen has basically tipped who he would start by playing LA over Stovall at third as defensive sub and starting LA twice there during the season to Stovall's 0 and LA appearing at third 13 times compared to Stovall's 7.

Yeah...no, to all of that.

"Collins is going to catch for us" - Cohen circa Feb 2016

Todd4State
06-26-2016, 09:07 PM
Yeah...no, to all of that.

"Collins is going to catch for us" - Cohen circa Feb 2016

You're actually claiming to more about our team than our coach? Please tell me how arrogant I am again?

Taog Redloh
06-26-2016, 09:13 PM
You're actually claiming to more about our team than our coach? Please tell me how arrogant I am again?

No. I am claiming that what he says or does, does not predict the future. But by all means, keep trying.

BorneDawg
06-26-2016, 10:00 PM
LA at SS and Gridley at 2nd

Todd4State
06-26-2016, 10:28 PM
No. I am claiming that what he says or does, does not predict the future. But by all means, keep trying.

OK- yeah. Since he actually coaches the team I think I'll take his word over yours.

Taog Redloh
06-26-2016, 10:34 PM
OK- yeah. Since he actually coaches the team I think I'll take his word over yours.

Collins will catch for us this year

You have become a legit thread killing threat.

Todd4State
06-26-2016, 11:15 PM
Collins will catch for us this year

You have become a legit thread killing threat.

He caught more games than Reynolds played third for us.

Collins wanted to catch. Cohen told him that he would have the opportunity to win the job. Cohen did give him that opportunity before the season. He lost the job to Kruger, Marrero, and Lovelady. Cohen told Collins we needed him at third- which is interesting because the whole off season I said that's where he would benefit us the most but despite my thoughts on that I reported what I had heard from my sources since you know- Cohen actually makes out the lineup. Also, I wasn't the only one on here saying that. Collins wasn't happy about it and it caused some friction early in the season- hence a factor in why he was suspended early in the year and possibly part of the reason why some on here didn't think he would make it through the year very early on. Cohen STILL let him catch a couple of games including one in SEC play. Also hence why Cleveland drafted Collins as a catcher. Now whether they move him to another position, I don't know but it wouldn't shock me or anyone else.

Dumbass you kept saying we should start Luke Reynolds and insisted I was wrong. I said that Luke's defense wasn't good enough- and in fact it was so bad we looked at moving him to the OF which was beyond crowded EVEN THOUGH we were thin at third base. And that's saying something since Gavin was hardly the second coming of Brooks Robinson at third. Cohen agreed with me and told him to redshirt and now he is at USM.

Dumbass you will probably bring up Jacob Barfield. We did bring him in to be the third baseman. He did not perform so Cohen told him that he would have to redshirt. Barfield decided to go back to JUCO and is now going to Houston. We had to scramble a little bit because we expected Austin Riley to come to school until late April or so and Barfield was the best we could come up with. And part of bringing him in was with the intent of giving Collins a chance to earn the job at catcher. It didn't work out that way but that was the intent of the coaching staff at the time.

So, excuse me for not placating your dumb ass so that you can feel like you are right and knowledgeable even when you are wrong- which is going to be proven in the long term anyway. Whether it's by me or reality. I guess you don't like me because I actually point it out whereas the other way around you can hide like a bitch. But good luck on that ever since you accused me wrongly of tweeting out demeaning tweets to our players- and have yet to produce me an example of one when requested.

In the meantime take your Prozac and STFU.

Taog Redloh
06-26-2016, 11:32 PM
He caught more games than Reynolds played third for us.

Collins wanted to catch. Cohen told him that he would have the opportunity to win the job. Cohen did give him that opportunity before the season. He lost the job to Kruger, Marrero, and Lovelady. Cohen told Collins we needed him at third- which is interesting because the whole off season I said that's where he would benefit us the most but despite my thoughts on that I reported what I had heard from my sources since you know- Cohen actually makes out the lineup. Also, I wasn't the only one on here saying that. Collins wasn't happy about it and it caused some friction early in the season- hence a factor in why he was suspended early in the year and possibly part of the reason why some on here didn't think he would make it through the year very early on. Cohen STILL let him catch a couple of games including one in SEC play. Also hence why Cleveland drafted Collins as a catcher. Now whether they move him to another position, I don't know but it wouldn't shock me or anyone else.

Dumbass you kept saying we should start Luke Reynolds and insisted I was wrong. I said that Luke's defense wasn't good enough- and in fact it was so bad we looked at moving him to the OF which was beyond crowded EVEN THOUGH we were thin at third base. And that's saying something since Gavin was hardly the second coming of Brooks Robinson at third. Cohen agreed with me and told him to redshirt and now he is at USM.

Dumbass you will probably bring up Jacob Barfield. We did bring him in to be the third baseman. He did not perform so Cohen told him that he would have to redshirt. Barfield decided to go back to JUCO and is now going to Houston. We had to scramble a little bit because we expected Austin Riley to come to school until late April or so and Barfield was the best we could come up with. And part of bringing him in was with the intent of giving Collins a chance to earn the job at catcher. It didn't work out that way but that was the intent of the coaching staff at the time.

So, excuse me for not placating your dumb ass so that you can feel like you are right and knowledgeable even when you are wrong- which is going to be proven in the long term anyway. Whether it's by me or reality. I guess you don't like me because I actually point it out whereas the other way around you can hide like a bitch. But good luck on that ever since you accused me wrongly of tweeting out demeaning tweets to our players- and have yet to produce me an example of one when requested.

In the meantime take your Prozac and STFU.

Threadkilla4State

maroonmania
06-27-2016, 09:42 AM
LA at SS and Gridley at 2nd

You can almost write it down that the experienced SS, Gridley, will at least start at the beginning of the season just like Seth Heck did a couple of years ago. Now who is playing SS at season's end might be a different story.

msstate7
06-27-2016, 09:53 AM
You can almost write it down that the experienced SS, Gridley, will at least start at the beginning of the season just like Seth Heck did a couple of years ago. Now who is playing SS at season's end might be a different story.

Alexander started this year as SS despite gridley's precious experience. Alexander lost SS bc of his hitting. If Alexander hits, he'll be our SS

Taog Redloh
06-27-2016, 10:12 AM
Alexander was the opening day SS this year, after Gridley started there in 2015. The only way Alexander doesn't play is if his offense is so bad it doesn't warrant it. I don't think that will be the case, I think he makes a jump next year.

maroonmania
06-27-2016, 10:43 AM
Alexander was the opening day SS this year, after Gridley started there in 2015. The only way Alexander doesn't play is if his offense is so bad it doesn't warrant it. I don't think that will be the case, I think he makes a jump next year.

True, but he is much more entrenched now as the starter. As I stated, Seth Heck was the starting SS for most of 2015. Gridley only played SS the last few weeks of the season in 2015 after the season had basically gone in the toilet. If Alexander gets fully healthy and totally outplays Gridley in the Fall it could happen but I'm expecting a little more lengthy recovery time for LA to get the wrist back to 100%.

Coach34
06-28-2016, 08:24 AM

A) We have a guy that has been our SS for 2 years now and played it well

B) We have a guy that couldn't hit SEC pitching, is now getting hand surgery, won't be able to play this summer, and won't be able to take BP for the next 3-4 months- which likely makes him miss Fall Ball. Collins- a much better hitter- hit something like .240 the season after having the same hand surgery.

Those betting on Alexander better temper expectations

maroonmania
06-28-2016, 10:06 AM

B) We have a guy that couldn't hit SEC pitching, is now getting hand surgery, won't be able to play this summer, and won't be able to take BP for the next 3-4 months- which likely makes him miss Fall Ball. Collins- a much better hitter- hit something like .240 the season after having the same hand surgery.

So the hamate bone is the culprit for LA just like it was for Collins?

msstate7
06-28-2016, 10:12 AM

I wouldn't say Gridley played well at SS. He played probably as well as can be expected for a SS with below avg range and arm strength as far as an sec SS. I really like Gridley, but he's a 2b playing SS

'16 stats...

Gridley -- .284/.340/.345 685 ops .061 iso
Alexander -- .222/.342/.333 675 ops .111 iso

It's not like gridley's offense outweighs Alexander's defense

maroonmania
06-28-2016, 10:20 AM
I wouldn't say Gridley played well at SS. He played probably as well as can be expected for a SS with below avg range and arm strength as far as an sec SS. I really like Gridley, but he's a 2b playing SS

'16 stats...

Gridley -- .284/.340/.345 685 ops .061 iso
Alexander -- .222/.342/.333 675 ops .111 iso

It's not like gridley's offense outweighs Alexander's defense

This is seemingly becoming a yearly ritual with MSU fans. Fans have complained and been ready to replace every SS I can remember that we've had under Cohen. Its getting almost as bad as the backup QB situation in football prior to Dak.

msstate7
06-28-2016, 10:26 AM
This is seemingly becoming a yearly ritual with MSU fans. Fans have complained and been ready to replace every SS I can remember that we've had under Cohen. Its getting almost as bad as the backup QB situation in football prior to Dak.

I value defense at SS esp with an inexperienced pitching staff

smootness
06-28-2016, 10:29 AM
Alexander started this year as SS despite gridley's precious experience. Alexander lost SS bc of his hitting. If Alexander hits, he'll be our SS

Yes, I should clarify - if Alexander is in the lineup, he will be our SS. If his bat isn't good enough, then sure, he won't play. But he's not going to play 3B.

Homedawg
06-28-2016, 10:31 AM
Yes, I should clarify - if Alexander is in the lineup, he will be our SS. If his bat isn't good enough, then sure, he won't play. But he's not going to play 3B.

This

maroonmania
06-28-2016, 10:49 AM

Well, on the bright side, whoever plays 3B can't be much worse defensively than what Collins was for most of the year.

msstate7
06-28-2016, 10:50 AM
Well, on the bright side, whoever plays 3B can't be much worse defensively than what we've had for most of the Cohen tenure.

Fify

Taog Redloh
06-28-2016, 11:22 AM

Yep

Todd4State
06-28-2016, 11:36 AM
So the hamate bone is the culprit for LA just like it was for Collins?

I believe so. I heard it was a similar surgery anyway.

BorneDawg
06-28-2016, 11:52 AM
Yes the hook was broke off of it. Surgery went well! He will be back and better than ever!

maroonmania
06-28-2016, 12:11 PM
Yes the hook was broke off of it. Surgery went well! He will be back and better than ever!

Any indication what his expected recovery time will be until he is back to 100%?

Martianlander
06-28-2016, 01:20 PM
Marrero has work to do both on hitting and defense. Yes, he has potential, but potential means he hasn't done it yet.

Taog Redloh
06-28-2016, 01:50 PM
Marrero has work to do both on hitting and defense. Yes, he has potential, but potential means he hasn't done it yet.

Most every freshman has work to do.

For he, Stovall and Alexander to come in and be average players in their first year, on a nationally seeded team, takes talent. They will make big jumps. Mangum is Mangum.