PDA

View Full Version : In your opinion is Mullen's seat getting warm?

BB30
06-24-2016, 12:54 PM
If so why? and what would you need to see from this years team to keep him off of the hot seat? For me I think anything worse than 6-6 and his seat gets very hot. If we finish 6-6 or 7-5 I think he is here for another year. 8-4 or better and I would consider that a good job of coaching with how young we will be in key positions and an expected weak OL.

CadaverDawg
06-24-2016, 12:58 PM
Huh?

Anybody saying Mullen's seat is warm, is either a troll or started following MSU football 5 years ago.

Mullen is here for the long haul. And we should be pumped about that.

We're MSU. And he has won 19 games the last 2 years. Good heavens.

RocketDawg
06-24-2016, 12:58 PM
Mullen is fine. He's the best coach we've ever had at MSU.

BeastMan
06-24-2016, 01:00 PM
http://img.memecdn.com/that-post-looks-sexy-enough_o_1177979.jpg

AROB44
06-24-2016, 01:01 PM
Huh?

Anybody saying Mullen's seat is warm, is either a troll or started following MSU football 5 years ago.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to CadaverDawg again.

drummerdawg
06-24-2016, 01:02 PM
I don't think it's currently warm. I do think that it has potential to be real soon though. To me, he needs to continue to win on average 8 games a year and if he does that he'll be fine. If he starts to get below that 8 win mark then he absolutely has to start beating om again. If he's not beating om and only winning 6 or 7 games then his seat will be on fire. Only way imo for him to escape being on the hot seat while losing to om is if he's winning 8+ games a year.

BrunswickDawg
06-24-2016, 01:04 PM
If so why? and what would you need to see from this years team to keep him off of the hot seat? For me I think anything worse than 6-6 and his seat gets very hot. If we finish 6-6 or 7-5 I think he is here for another year. 8-4 or better and I would consider that a good job of coaching with how young we will be in key positions and an expected weak OL.

^ This is why we can't have nice things.

Dawgology
06-24-2016, 01:07 PM

Just no

BB30
06-24-2016, 01:07 PM
I actually agree and don't think Mullen should go anywhere anytime soon unless we have a couple of losing seasons. I just know that if we go 5-7 or worse there will be several on this board calling for his head and wanted to get opinions from those that feel that way on why they feel that way. We had several last year that about jumped off the ledge after the LSU loss and there have been some comments here and there stating that Mullen is not currently getting the job done as they think that it should. So... I was just curious in how others felt about everything. Maybe I should have titled the thread a little lighter. Maybe what will you be satisfied with this upcoming season.

Dawgology
06-24-2016, 01:09 PM
I think it would take blowout losses for all of our SEC games and a loss out of conference coupled with him flipping off the fans as he walked out of Davis Wade in the last home game of the season. That would probably get him on the hot seat.

ckDOG
06-24-2016, 01:10 PM
Only if he just farted.

SaintDawg
06-24-2016, 01:12 PM
http://www.michaelbransonsmith.net/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/TogaShort.gif

BeardoMSU
06-24-2016, 01:14 PM
Huh?

Such lethal cunning...

http://24.media.tumblr.com/25b343d9b3dd22a02cd4de26e241cf08/tumblr_mpv1mhqxVI1qedb29o1_500.gif

civildawg
06-24-2016, 01:15 PM
If we miss a bowl this year and our OL still looks like crap, you better believe people here will be calling for his head. The numerous OL misses (mostly Lashley which i'm still pissed about), Ole Miss having another really good year, and if Ole miss get the commitments that are "suppose" to be leaning our way. His seat will be pretty hot if all that happens. Now if he goes something like 8-4 this year and by some miracle happens to beat ole miss, his seat will be the least warm in the SEC.

BossDawg
06-24-2016, 01:19 PM
Nope. It MIGHT get a little warm with a 6-6 season this year, but it will only be because of some fans - or "The noise in the machine" as Ron Zook called it. I think that was what he said. A losing season and you can bet the farm that his seat will start getting warm.

There are a few things however that I would like to see change under him, things that would certainly help him. One being Hevesy, do something with him already. I'd also like to see more consistency with the staff rather than always expecting one or some to take another job after the season. I've heard it's because Mullen is hard to work for. If that's true then I'd like to see Mullen tweek his attitude a bit. Not sure that's realistic though. I just think Mullen does a lot of things to himself that keeps him from getting a couple of big recruits or winning an extra game or so each season.

Pollodawg
06-24-2016, 01:22 PM
Cadaverdog nailed it.

louisvilledawg
06-24-2016, 01:34 PM

https://dd2d9j2i66w9u.cloudfront.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/10142844/giphy-7.gif

Coach34
06-24-2016, 01:38 PM
Nahhhh- the only friction that's there is because he shopped so hard last season. He'll catch some shit if we end up being as bad as we looked this Spring- but won't be fired.

MadDawg
06-24-2016, 01:53 PM
After we (most likely) lose to the Bears this season, there will be many, many fans calling for his head. I won't agree with it, but that will be the reality.

JETDAWG
06-24-2016, 02:16 PM
We can easily win 7, with an upset 8 then a bowl win another 9 win season, I hate Ole Miss as much as the next guy but if we keep posting 9 pelts on the wall I will be ok. Ole Miss will get theirs, and fall off the map soon. Big Bad NCAA has them in the cross-hairs.

Political Hack
06-24-2016, 02:19 PM
If he's shopping, we're shopping. If he's not, we're not. It's that simple.

AFDawg
06-24-2016, 02:24 PM
I guess we all know Barrett Sallee's alias now.

dawgoneyall
06-24-2016, 02:33 PM

No. Next.

TimberBeast
06-24-2016, 02:42 PM
If that's true then I'd like to see Mullen tweek his attitude a bit. Not sure that's realistic though. I just think Mullen does a lot of things to himself that keeps him from getting a couple of big recruits or winning an extra game or so each season.

This is it for me. I can't argue with the results in the W / L column since he's been here, but if he could just get out of his own way we would improve even more. Holloway starting at RB last year and likely again this year is a perfect example. It makes no sense and it's just damn awful to watch, especially when we all can see the problem so clearly.

tcdog70
06-24-2016, 02:46 PM
it is Summer in Mississippi everybody's seat is Hot. What a stupid question. Dan ain't going anywhere and we should be very happy about the success of our Football team.

nsvltndog
06-24-2016, 02:47 PM
only thing that could put him there in my mind is if we lose to the Bears the next time we play them at Davis Wade. He's essentially got 2 full seasons to make sure that doesn't happen. If the light at the end of the tunnel on the NCAA investigation in Oxford is even as close to as big as it should be then we could be positioned for a long stretch of success at MSU. Dan didn't suddenly forget how to coach as evidenced by winning 19 games the last 2 years, the appearance based on the NCAA findings and Tunsil on draft night is that they went all in b/c they were tired of losing to him.

shannondawg
06-24-2016, 02:52 PM
After we (most likely) lose to the Bears this season, there will be many, many fans calling for his head. I won't agree with it, but that will be the reality.

Hell, we will be calling for his head after every loss and wanting to give him a raise after every win. Thats life on a message board, get use to it.

MadDawg
06-24-2016, 02:56 PM
Hell, we will be calling for his head after every loss and wanting to give him a raise after every win. Thats life on a message board, get use to it.

Unfortunately, this is dead on.

ShotgunDawg
06-24-2016, 03:15 PM
I don't think Mullen is anywhere near the hot seat, but I will say that his lack of recruiting will put him on the hot seat quickly if he starts struggling to win games. Many are already skeptical about whether the program is getting better, is stagnant, or is regressing due to poor recruiting when compared to our competition. If he continues to win with the way he recruits, then who am I or anyone else to complain, but if the win total begins to shrink, then he will struggle to get the benefit of the doubt.

sleepy dawg
06-24-2016, 03:29 PM
All these comments about if this, if that. You can put anybody on the hot seat if you come up with enough scenarios for the next few years. Nick Saban is going to be on the hotseat next year if he gets shot in the head next season, but that's pretty obvious isn't it?

HancockCountyDog
06-24-2016, 03:32 PM
I don't think Mullen is anywhere near the hot seat, but I will say that his lack of recruiting will put him on the hot seat quickly if he starts struggling to win games. Many are already skeptical about whether the program is getting better, is stagnant, or is regressing due to poor recruiting when compared to our competition. If he continues to win with the way he recruits, then who am I or anyone else to complain, but if the win total begins to shrink, then he will struggle to get the benefit of the doubt.

This thread is a little pointless.

If we go 5-7 and get rolled in the egg bowl, I don't know many people that will have Mullen's back and I'm 100% in his corner today.

Personally I think whoever started this thread is simply trolling.

TrapGame
06-24-2016, 03:35 PM
The only way Mullen's seat gets warm nowadays is if he sits down with his cellphone in his back pocket. If om gets gutted like a pig for Christmas ham by the NCAA his seat will be safe and cool for a while.

BB30
06-24-2016, 03:40 PM
This thread is a little pointless.

If we go 5-7 and get rolled in the egg bowl, I don't know many people that will have Mullen's back and I'm 100% in his corner today.

Personally I think whoever started this thread is simply trolling.

Summer time talk. If you don't like don't read. Might be a "stupid" "pointless" post. But so are the 3,000,000 negative responses after a loss to a perennial power. Can't have your cake and eat it too. Like I said earlier, I should have titled the thread a little differently and that is my bad. I did not think about it in a negative light, honestly, as I have defended Mullen at most every turn and will continue to do so until the wins and losses reflect that I shouldn't. So no not quite a troll job although I can now see where you would assume that would be coming from.

Liverpooldawg
06-24-2016, 04:04 PM

NO. Not in any shape, form, or fashion.

maroonmania
06-24-2016, 04:09 PM
If we miss a bowl this year and our OL still looks like crap, you better believe people here will be calling for his head. The numerous OL misses (mostly Lashley which i'm still pissed about), Ole Miss having another really good year, and if Ole miss get the commitments that are "suppose" to be leaning our way. His seat will be pretty hot if all that happens. Now if he goes something like 8-4 this year and by some miracle happens to beat ole miss, his seat will be the least warm in the SEC.

No way SHOULD he be even on a slightly warm seat but our recent and apparently ongoing in state recruiting missteps especially within the Golden Triangle area combined with his constant flirting with other jobs in the offseason would be enough to get some people to start turning on him a bit if we have a losing season and get punked in Oxford.

SDDawg
06-24-2016, 04:13 PM
Nope, you can put store ice cream on his seat. Ice cold.

FISHDAWG
06-24-2016, 04:16 PM
a message board meltdown doesn't necessarily translate to a true hot seat ... message boards might make up 1 or 2 percent of the fan base

AROB44
06-24-2016, 04:26 PM
a message board meltdown doesn't necessarily translate to a true hot seat ... message boards might make up 1 or 2 percent of the fan base

Thank goodness..

CadaverDawg
06-24-2016, 04:32 PM
[/B]

Thank goodness..

Haha

Indndawg
06-24-2016, 04:38 PM
Unless we have an 88-Tech and 10 year. He's OK. I think we'll steal one or two and finish w/minor bowl..building for another nice 17 season (That's 2017)

Coach34
06-24-2016, 04:45 PM
Here's something to ponder though:

We didn't extend his contract after last year. He goes 6-6 with a loss to OM again- we ain't extending that contract for the 2nd straight year. That leaves him with only 2 left and some uncertainty- and even more pissed off

BrunswickDawg
06-24-2016, 04:54 PM

We didn't extend his contract after last year. He goes 6-6 with a loss to OM again- we ain't extending that contract for the 2nd straight year. That leaves him with only 2 left and some uncertainty- and even more pissed off
The flip side of that is he did just get an extension and a substantial increase after 2014. Dan could have just as easily said "put money into more assistants/off field positions - I'm good with my contract this year". Reality is we don't know.

JETDAWG
06-24-2016, 05:03 PM
If "if's and but's were candy and nuts we'd all have a Merry Christmas" He win's that's what counts now, he needs to recruit at a high level if we are going to continue to compete.

SDDawg
06-24-2016, 05:33 PM

We're winning more than 6 games and I'll be surprised if we lose to Ole Miss (not angry, just surprised). We'll see.

Coach34
06-24-2016, 05:38 PM
The flip side of that is he did just get an extension and a substantial increase after 2014. Dan could have just as easily said "put money into more assistants/off field positions - I'm good with my contract this year". Reality is we don't know.

oh we know- it's 100% because he was shopping. Adding a year to his deal has nothing to do with current asst salaries

HoopsDawg
06-24-2016, 05:53 PM
He win's that's what counts now, he needs to recruit at a high level if we are going to continue to compete.

isn't the jury out on this by now? That's just not going to happen.

Liverpooldawg
06-24-2016, 06:23 PM
[/B]

Thank goodness..

Amen

Todd4State
06-24-2016, 06:26 PM
It's too soon to know. There are so many things that can change between now and December. My biggest fear with Dan right now is that I am afraid that the only reason he is still around is because he couldn't find anyone to pay him as much as we are and I am not sure how 100% committed he really is to MSU. I have a bad feeling that he is around just collecting a paycheck.

If we lose to someone we shouldn't- like South Alabama, UMass, heaven forbid Samford- that would probably put him on the hot seat.

Like someone else said- if we lose to Ole Miss again he better have won 8 games. We haven't retained a coach that has lost to Ole Miss three years in a row going back to Charley Shira. It also depends on how the team looks- if we go 6-6 but the team is competitive and plays hard I think Dan could get a pass. If we go 6-6 and we look listless like we did much of last year- I think it is major cause for concern. If we have a losing season we better have a season like we did in 1996 where we beat Alabama and Ole Miss.

A lot of unknowns right now.

What I think could get interesting is if we struggle and our o-line looks horrible again- which is likely. At what point do our major boosters force the issue with Hevesy? Even Croom was willing to demote McCorvey and try to hire Al Borges at the end but Byrne didn't give him the opportunity to do so. (Which was the correct move on Byrne's part BTW). I could see that being very ugly and coupled with another potential non-extension it could get pretty tense to say the least.

I'll be honest- if we struggle and Dan is willing to fire Hevesey I would likely give him a pass depending on the circumstances. That probably would include a losing season and a loss to Ole Miss.

Todd4State
06-24-2016, 06:27 PM

Are we the only school in the SEC that expects the head coach to take a paycut to pay for assistants? I certainly hope not.

BrunswickDawg
06-24-2016, 07:01 PM
Are we the only school in the SEC that expects the head coach to take a paycut to pay for assistants? I certainly hope not.
Not a cut - forgoing an increase in his pay to add to the staff. If I'm not mistaken he did that once before. And money out of pocket wouldn't be unprecedented - Richt paid out of his own pocket to increase staff pay once or twice (then got chided by the NCAA for doing it).

Dawgcentral
06-24-2016, 07:38 PM
I've never been convinced to a great degree that Mullen wants to leave Starkville as much as some others seem to. It does, on the surface, look as though he's entertained offers. This probably helps him financially in theory, but it's used against him in recruiting,..just as the "Yankee" and "Scientology" bull**** that OM fans started but is somehow fueled by MSU people.

That said, Mullen should know that while he's had great success, we can go out there and pay a proven HC 4-5 million a year with a 4 year contract. If he wants to stay here he's going to need a better plan, and/or higher rated players who,are more motivated to beat the cheaters up north while continuing 8-10 wins each year. BTW, we want a shot at the SEC West now and then like we had in 2014. It's not too much to ask, and he said he could do this when we hired him.

Drugs Delaney
06-24-2016, 08:06 PM
THIS IS THE MOST STUPID THREAD EVER STARTED ON THIS BOARD

Corn Bread
06-24-2016, 08:22 PM

Quote Donald Trump- BB Your Fired! 17 Idiot

Dawg-gone-dawgs
06-24-2016, 08:51 PM
Speaking of Lashley I saw him driving in his new Dodge car with Bama stickers on it the other day in West Point...Pretty nice car.

Spiderman
06-24-2016, 09:00 PM

No but when he loses the 3rd in a row in Oxford, it will be.

Todd4State
06-25-2016, 12:10 AM
No but when he loses the 3rd in a row in Oxford, it will be.

I've noticed that we are loading up on more JUCO's this recruiting cycle than normal. Some of that is because we can sign a lot of guys and some of it is because our numbers are out of whack.

But I do wonder if Dan is loading up for the 2017 Egg Bowl to try to stay around because he won't survive losing four in a row.

cheewgumm
06-25-2016, 12:21 AM
The worst thing has happened for him. We had to schedule another P5 team on OOC. That makes those guaranteed 7 wins a chore.

I think we're getting close to be honest.

TUSK
06-25-2016, 01:29 AM
Just no

Dude, "No" is my bag, Daddio....

TUSK
06-25-2016, 01:34 AM
Speaking of Lashley I saw him driving in his new Dodge car with Bama stickers on it the other day in West Point...Pretty nice car.

1) Pics or it didn't happen...

2) If he "only" got a Charger, I'm surprised he even got a scholly... that's so 2012....

GTHOM
06-25-2016, 06:52 PM
Huh?

I agree with some of what you said but not the ''We're MSU.'' Why not us