PDA

View Full Version : It's time for Cord Sandberg to come play QB

Coach34
06-24-2016, 11:10 AM
http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=642045#/career/R/hitting/2016/ALL

4th year- struggling in High A ball. 6 HR's in his last 700 AB's. Doesn't steal bases

Come get an education and play some QB

Jack Lambert
06-24-2016, 11:24 AM
I bet he lands at FL ST.

PassInterference
06-24-2016, 11:25 AM
He can't land at FSU. He signed with us.

TrapGame
06-24-2016, 11:26 AM
I bet he lands at FL ST.

I can see that.

TrapGame
06-24-2016, 11:26 AM
He can't land at FSU. He signed with us.

Any kind of time limit of that? It's been four years.

Dawg-gone-dawgs
06-24-2016, 11:28 AM
http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=642045#/career/R/hitting/2016/ALL

4th year- struggling in High A ball. 6 HR's in his last 700 AB's. Doesn't steal bases

We think the battle is close now...geez We would definitely have a transfer or 2

Mjoelner34
06-24-2016, 11:51 AM
"It's time for Cord Sandberg to come play QB" The Phillies are probably starting to think so too.

trob115
06-24-2016, 11:52 AM
He's bound to MSU if he ever decides to play football because he signed out of HS.

Pollodawg
06-24-2016, 11:53 AM
I think the Sandberg window has closed. He'd be here at least a year, maybe two before he was ready to be an SEC QB again. What would be 25 by then. Not many thirty year olds suiting up for SEC ball.

msstate7
06-24-2016, 11:54 AM
I think the Sandberg window has closed. He'd be here at least a year, maybe two before he was ready to be an SEC QB again. What would be 25 by then. Not many thirty year olds suiting up for SEC ball.

25-28 is prime age for an athlete isn't it?

trob115
06-24-2016, 11:59 AM
Brandon Weeden says hi

Dawgfan77
06-24-2016, 12:00 PM
Chris weinki say Hi

Pollodawg
06-24-2016, 12:04 PM
Ok. I can be wrong, guys. J just don't see it happening. Wouldn't be a bad thing by any means.

djaymsu5
06-24-2016, 12:07 PM
Shit I'd welcome him in with open arms if he still has it. Nothing wrong with competition.

ShotgunDawg
06-24-2016, 12:42 PM
Cord is only 21, is in High A where he is young for the league, & would have to pay back some of his signing bonus if he quit right now.

I tend to agree with C34 that he won't be a Major Leaguer, but I also don't see him being close to quitting & walking away

basedog
06-24-2016, 01:02 PM
We have a QB committed who has a very high ceiling, we have talent at the QB position. Can't see Cord coming to Ms.

SDDawg
06-24-2016, 01:15 PM
I'd love to see it. Fingers crossed.

ckDOG
06-24-2016, 01:18 PM
We have a QB committed who has a very high ceiling, we have talent at the QB position. Can't see Cord coming to Ms.

There is a thread on the front page predicting Damien Williams to be our starter in Game 1. Just 2 years ago, most thought we were quickly becoming QB U due to Fitz and Staley being on campus, yet, they allegedly haven't been able to beat out a pretty average QB after having plenty of time to learn the system and even getting some game experience.

I'll take every talented QB we can get on campus. You never know how things will pan out. That and injuries.

Bothrops
06-24-2016, 02:26 PM
I don't think Cord would beat out Fitz or Tiano, and maybe not Staley either. That ship has long since sailed.

basedog
06-24-2016, 02:33 PM
There is a thread on the front page predicting Damien Williams to be our starter in Game 1. Just 2 years ago, most thought we were quickly becoming QB U due to Fitz and Staley being on campus, yet, they allegedly haven't been able to beat out a pretty average QB after having plenty of time to learn the system and even getting some game experience.

I'll take every talented QB we can get on campus. You never know how things will pan out. That and injuries.

Didn't say I wouldn't take him, also we have 2 sophomores and a freshman, Williams being the senior. They are extremely young and haven't had playing time to know. I'd bet someone will step up and be the man this year and I'd bet it want be Williams.

StatesboroBlues
06-24-2016, 02:59 PM
He's bound to MSU if he ever decides to play football because he signed out of HS.

Don't believe so...your NLI is good for a year. You have to file a request with the Conference office though. And pretty sure if it is 4 years after the date of signature it is not binding at all. Someone correct me if I am wrong...

Ifyouonlyknew
06-24-2016, 03:02 PM
Don't believe so...your NLI is good for a year.

That's correct but what I think they usually work out in the contract is the MLB team pays for the tuition if he goes back to the school he originally signed with.

StatesboroBlues
06-24-2016, 03:09 PM
That's correct but what I think they usually work out in the contract is the MLB team pays for the tuition if he goes back to the school he originally signed with.

That may be...but why would a player agree to that? I know I wouldn't...it would be any comparable school I so choose.

Dawgology
06-24-2016, 03:37 PM

Fitz or Stately will start game one. They will probably share time. If they both screw up royally in that game then I could see Williams starting game two. I just think between Fitz, Staley, Tiano that Mullen will find a solid QB option. I think we are in a good place with QB just don't have a lot of experience there. I think the one place on a Mullen coached team I am worried about is QB. Now, O-line on the other hand....

maroonmania
06-24-2016, 04:03 PM

Geez, as was stated in the thread, Sandberg is around 21, not 30 or even 25. Also, you people do realize that Sandberg was rated higher than any of the 4 QBs we currently have on campus. It might take him a year to get back in the swing of football but to just flippantly say his window has closed is bogus.

msbulldog
06-24-2016, 04:16 PM
Don't believe so...your NLI is good for a year. You have to file a request with the Conference office though. And pretty sure if it is 4 years after the date of signature it is not binding at all. Someone correct me if I am wrong...

Statesboro, are you in Statesboro Ga? I just moved from Macon, Ga.

StatesboroBlues
06-24-2016, 05:06 PM
Statesboro, are you in Statesboro Ga? I just moved from Macon, Ga.

No, MS Delta...just an Allman Brothers fan.

PassInterference
06-24-2016, 05:11 PM

You're saying we'd get him back and not use a scholly?

Sweet.

BoomBoom
06-24-2016, 08:00 PM

he has gone up a level every year. he's not hit good, but not god awful either. he actually was good in April this year, bad in May. maybe it's just a bad month. if i'm the Phillies, i want to see how he closes the year at A+. if he does well, promote him to AA and see how he does. plenty of MLB players have had similar career tracks. if he repeats the level and doesn't improve, then it's time. he's not there yet.

Todd4State
06-24-2016, 08:05 PM
he has gone up a level every year. he's not hit good, but not god awful either. he actually was good in April this year, bad in May. maybe it's just a bad month. if i'm the Phillies, i want to see how he closes the year at A+. if he does well, promote him to AA and see how he does. plenty of MLB players have had similar career tracks. if he repeats the level and doesn't improve, then it's time. he's not there yet.

You are correct and I'm sure they will give him at least this year to correct things. That said I don't think he will make it to MLB.

Todd4State
06-24-2016, 08:07 PM
That may be...but why would a player agree to that? I know I wouldn't...it would be any comparable school I so choose.

I guess he wanted to at least know where he is going rather than have to shop himself around to other colleges.

parabrave
06-24-2016, 08:53 PM

Duanes full statement was when asked if he had any protest slogans it was Eat a Peach for peace, the two legged kind,ergo the album cover. He was never asked again.

msbulldog
06-25-2016, 07:03 AM

Me too, where I lived in Macon was right down the street from the house they grew up in. There supposed to be turning it into a museum. Macon is home to some great musicians Allman Bros., Little Richard, Jason Aldean, among others.

BiscuitEater
06-25-2016, 08:08 AM

Don't think so. He signed with MSU .. but that was 5 years ago. He is free to play for whoever he wants.

BiscuitEater
06-25-2016, 08:17 AM

He is only 21.

A second round pick in 1990, Chris Weinke played six seasons in the Toronto Blue Jays farm system, reaching Triple-A but never the majors. He gave up the sport and entered college with Florida State in 1997 at age 25, possibly looking to be known as "Chris Football" rather than "Chris Minor League Baseball." Good decision. As the Jamie Moyer of college football, Weinke won the Heisman Trophy at age 28 in 2000, then played seven years in the NFL.

Thick
06-25-2016, 12:47 PM

Where in the Delta?

Coach34
06-25-2016, 01:01 PM
Cord is only 21, is in High A where he is young for the league, & would have to pay back some of his signing bonus if he quit right now.

I tend to agree with C34 that he won't be a Major Leaguer, but I also don't see him being close to quitting & walking away

He's 22 now and has 6 HR's in his last 700 AB's. And with no speed to speak of. He is wasting his time at this point. Time to see what football can do for him

ShotgunDawg
06-25-2016, 01:30 PM
He's 22 now and has 6 HR's in his last 700 AB's. And with no speed to speak of. He is wasting his time at this point. Time to see what football can do for him

He's only 21. Won't turn 22 till January 2nd. Again, I agree that he won't be a Major Leaguer, but he also probably doesn't want to give back some of his signing bonus money. I expect he'll stick it for a while longer.

Pollodawg
06-25-2016, 01:38 PM
All a pipe dream. I doubt he ever even thinks about MSU or college football any more.

BoomBoom
06-25-2016, 02:42 PM

again, he's gone up a level every year. he hasn't excelled at any level, but he hasn't failed either. that's no small thing. it's actually better than most prospects achieve. he's new to his level, it doesn't mean much that he's not excelling at it. if he hits well to close the year that's a great sign. if he doesn't, it's a very bad one.