PDA

View Full Version : Who starts against South Alabama at Qb

basedog
06-24-2016, 08:28 AM
Fitz, Williams or other?

Having a debate with a couple of buddies, one thinks Williams because he has the most experience.

I think Fitz. My other buddy says Williams is a clipboard holder which I agree, he also should receive rep points for saying "If Williams starts the first game we are in trouble".

ILOATHEBears
06-24-2016, 08:36 AM
Fitz, Williams or other?

Having a debate with a couple of buddies, one thinks Williams because he has the most experience.

I think Fitz. My other buddy says Williams is a clipboard holder which I agree, he also should receive rep points for saying "If Williams starts the first game we are in trouble".

Damien leads with Fitz right there close

Jack Lambert
06-24-2016, 08:46 AM
I think Williams starts s alabama but all four plays. The one that performs the best will start against SC.

Interpolation_Dawg_EX
06-24-2016, 08:48 AM
I think Williams starts s alabama but all four plays. The one that performs the best will start against SC.

http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee365/nattildag/lol-jimcarrey-eww.gif

ShotgunDawg
06-24-2016, 08:57 AM
http://i1224.photobucket.com/albums/ee365/nattildag/lol-jimcarrey-eww.gif

Agree. Totally absurd.
That's like driving a Camry because it's an automatic instead of driving the Farrari because it's a stick shift. Starting Williams is easier but offers ZERO ceiling to the season or future. I'd rather take the lumps and play the players with the highest ceiling.

AROB44
06-24-2016, 09:04 AM
If Williams starts, it will be ceremonial only. Fitz should play the vast majority of the game to get experience. If not, we are in some deep doo doo.

louisvilledawg
06-24-2016, 09:06 AM
Agree. Totally absurd.
That's like driving a Camery because it's an automatic instead of driving the Farrari because it's a stick shift. Starting Williams is easier but offers ZERO ceiling to the season or future. I'd rather take the lumps and play the players with the highest ceiling.

Bingo. Fitz (or Tiano?) should be starting and we just let them figure it out on the field. I think Williams should be wearing a headset calling in dummy signals to the qb on the field. Or he should be wearing a jsu jersey and playing for tony hughes

Mjoelner34
06-24-2016, 09:07 AM
Williams should start the 4th quarter of that game.

Coach34
06-24-2016, 09:07 AM
There's more and more chatter that Williams could start. August will be interesting.

Ifyouonlyknew
06-24-2016, 09:11 AM
Fitz or Staley

CadaverDawg
06-24-2016, 09:26 AM
It's 100% pointless to start Williams. He is not our future, and can't possibly be much better, if any, than Fitz as our present.

So yea, Mullen will probably start Williams, ha.

TrapGame
06-24-2016, 09:29 AM
If Williams starts, it will be ceremonial only. Fitz should play the vast majority of the game to get experience. If not, we are in some deep doo doo.

Yep, I can't see Williams being better than both Fitz and Staley.

Todd4State
06-24-2016, 09:38 AM
I think Dan will start Williams. I don't think he is the best option like Zach Jackson wasn't at OLB last year.

Dan going to Dan.

shoeless joe
06-24-2016, 09:48 AM
As long as he doesn't bunt with the 3 hole...oh wait...nevermind...wrong sport...my bad.

Snowman79
06-24-2016, 09:48 AM
How would you compare Relf to Williams? Would the offense look more like the Relf offense if Williams starts?

JoseBrown
06-24-2016, 09:51 AM
I'd be completely and utterly surprised and disappointed if Williams starts(other than as a thanks). Fitz will/should be the starter otherwise, but admittedly have no close to inside info, just going by what I've seen.

Now that I've said that, it will be Staley.****

Covercorner2
06-24-2016, 09:56 AM
Why does everyone hate Williams? He has looked decent in limited action against SEC teams. He is probably the best passer of the group, also, which means he probably allows more access to the entire playbook.

It's a rebuilding year. We aren't winning 10 games with any of these guys. Why not start the known commodity. If he sucks, pull him, but with the way the schedule sets up, we have plenty of time to bring the younger guys along.

Percho
06-24-2016, 10:04 AM
Would Williams still be here if Williams did not think he could lead this team?

Acid mouth
06-24-2016, 10:12 AM
Fitz or Staley

And Dan has spoken

Red Sox Dawg
06-24-2016, 10:22 AM
Williams is Relf 2.0, just a bit shorter. He does have a moderately better passing skill set. Question is how well does he run the option?

Coach34
06-24-2016, 10:24 AM
Fitz or Staley

Staley won't ever start at QB for us. He just can't put it all together. He had the worst Spring Game of the 4- and Tiano is not going to get anything but better. I think Staley is closer to 4th than he is to starting

Dawgfan77
06-24-2016, 10:26 AM
Why does everyone hate Williams? He has looked decent in limited action against SEC teams. He is probably the best passer of the group, also, which means he probably allows more access to the entire playbook.

It's a rebuilding year. We aren't winning 10 games with any of these guys. Why not start the known commodity. If he sucks, pull him, but with the way the schedule sets up, we have plenty of time to bring the younger guys along.
He is also the smallest, slowest, and least athletic of the four. Remember he was a late pick up due to cord choosing baseball

Covercorner2
06-24-2016, 10:40 AM
He is also the smallest, slowest, and least athletic of the four. Remember he was a late pick up due to cord choosing baseball

You are also comparing him to three 6'5 230 Lb. + quarterbacks. You could probably say that about any starting QB in the SEC.

Todd4State
06-24-2016, 10:44 AM

Honestly if he gets the job done better than the others none of that matters. I would still start Fitz but just saying.

Taog Redloh
06-24-2016, 10:48 AM
Mullen has a history of going with veteran upperclassmen. I also think Williams starts.

I also agree with Coach34 in that Staley won't ever be our QB. Let's just accept it, he's no Cam. We sort of knew this based on his history, but he was worth taking for his athletic ability.

PMDawg
06-24-2016, 11:04 AM
It's 100% pointless to start Williams. He is not our future, and can't possibly be much better, if any, than Fitz as our present.

So yea, Mullen will probably start Williams, ha.

With Holloway lined up in the backfield.

DownwardDawg
06-24-2016, 11:08 AM
Staley won't ever start at QB for us. He just can't put it all together. He had the worst Spring Game of the 4- and Tiano is not going to get anything but better. I think Staley is closer to 4th than he is to starting
I agree and have thought/said this since he arrived. He will never be the starting QB at State. I expect him to transfer.

scottycameron
06-24-2016, 11:11 AM
Right now it's Williams. But we haven't even started camp yet.

TimberBeast
06-24-2016, 12:08 PM

Yep, I would be shocked if that's not how we started. I would also agree with what coach34 that this is likely mullen's last season, and pulling bullshit like that should be at least part of the cause.

GreenheadDawg
06-24-2016, 12:14 PM
Look no further than Z. Jackson starting last year and you will get your answer to the question if Williams is going to start.

Pollodawg
06-24-2016, 12:20 PM
Fits.

ShotgunDawg
06-24-2016, 12:39 PM
Right now it's Williams. But we haven't even started camp yet.

Conservative, conservative, conservative. Just like in recruiting. I appreciate Williams, but he's the worst athlete out of the 4, the smallest guy out of the 4, the slowest guy out of the 4, & he has a pronounced hitch in his arm action that prevents him from being able to get rid of the ball quickly.

If we are not going to fully attempt to acquire elite talent on the recruiting trail & we aren't going to attempt to play our most talented players, then what are we doing?

CadaverDawg
06-24-2016, 12:44 PM

Lol, I laugh...but you're absolutely right.

thedawg
06-24-2016, 12:46 PM
From a member of the coaching staff... "Williams is by far the most consistent with the best grasp of what we want to do on offense.. Problem is he is not as talented as the guys behind him and where we are talent wise we have to have stud at QB. We will have to live with the mistakes of an underclassmen to get a playmaker out here. If we were as talented as Alabama Williams would be the guy."

That conversation happened right after the spring game and a lot can change... It wasnt Dan Mullen but it was pretty close to from the horses mouth..

CadaverDawg
06-24-2016, 12:52 PM

Nobody "hates" Williams. You basically just answered your own question....If we aren't winning 10 games with any of them, and Williams has the lowest ceiling, is older so less years left to play after this "rebuilding" year, is slower, smaller, and hasn't separated himself in 3+ years from two freshmen...what good is it to start Williams?

Williams will win us no more games than Fitz, Staley, or Tiano...so why waste a year of valuable experience for our more talented freshmen and sophomore QB's playing a guy that will get us the same # of wins at best, and has a lower ceiling?

I don't even see how it's debatable. It would be like starting Mike Smith in RF at the beginning of the baseball season bc he's a Senior, while Jake Mangum rides the pine bc he's young. And let's not forget Fitz is a Sophomore this year...I don't know why MSU coaches are fascinated with only getting a year or 2 tops out of talent, instead of putting capable guys in there at an earlier age when they're as good as the veteran above them, and it will only make them better Juniors and Seniors to take lumps as Fr and So instead of taking lumps as Juniors or Seniors.

ShotgunDawg
06-24-2016, 12:53 PM
From a member of the coaching staff... "Williams is by far the most consistent with the best grasp of what we want to do on offense.. Problem is he is not as talented as the guys behind him and where we are talent wise we have to have stud at QB. We will have to live with the mistakes of an underclassmen to get a playmaker out here. If we were as talented as Alabama Williams would be the guy."

That conversation happened right after the spring game and a lot can change... It wasnt Dan Mullen but it was pretty close to from the horses mouth..

This absolutely the correct attitude that our coaches should have right now.

I'll also say that I'm perfectly OK with Williams being the go-to reliever out of the bullpen, if that's what it takes to win a game in the 4th quarter, but you just can't start him. You can't go into a season without giving your team the chance to be the best they possibly can.

CadaverDawg
06-24-2016, 12:54 PM
This absolutely the correct attitude that our coaches should have right now.

I'll also say that I'm perfectly OK with Williams being the go-to reliever out of the bullpen, if that's what it takes to win a game in the 4th quarter, but you just can't start him. You can't go into a season without giving your team the chance to be the best they possibly can.

I agree

HancockCountyDog
06-24-2016, 01:01 PM
Nobody "hates" Williams. You basically just answered your own question....If we aren't winning 10 games with any of them, and Williams has the lowest ceiling, is older so less years left to play after this "rebuilding" year, is slower, smaller, and hasn't separated himself in 3+ years from two freshmen...what good is it to start Williams?

Williams will win us no more games than Fitz, Staley, or Tiano...so why waste a year of valuable experience for our more talented freshmen and sophomore QB's playing a guy that will get us the same # of wins at best, and has a lower ceiling?

I don't even see how it's debatable. It would be like starting Mike Smith in RF at the beginning of the baseball season bc he's a Senior, while Jake Mangum rides the pine bc he's young. And let's not forget Fitz is a Sophomore this year...I don't know why MSU coaches are fascinated with only getting a year or 2 tops out of talent, instead of putting capable guys in there at an earlier age when they're as good as the veteran above them, and it will only make them better Juniors and Seniors to take lumps as Fr and So instead of taking lumps as Juniors or Seniors.

The other problem that Williams has is that the last time we watched him play he was just awful. Now, I fully expect that he has improved, but he was awful in 2014. Everytime they put him out there with a talented damn roster, the offense stalled.

Im just concerned that with an offense that is clearly not as talented as the 2014 team, that we are putting a ceiling on this year's team. A very low ceiling.

Now, could Fitz or Staley have a lower floor? Probably. But I would rather try to win 9-10 games and risk only winning 5-6, as opposed to just going with 7 maybe 8 games at best.

DogsofAnarchy
06-24-2016, 01:27 PM
Remember, Dak was only good enough to start 2 years.

The other problem that Williams has is that the last time we watched him play he was just awful. Now, I fully expect that he has improved, but he was awful in 2014. Everytime they put him out there with a talented damn roster, the offense stalled.

Im just concerned that with an offense that is clearly not as talented as the 2014 team, that we are putting a ceiling on this year's team. A very low ceiling.

Now, could Fitz or Staley have a lower floor? Probably. But I would rather try to win 9-10 games and risk only winning 5-6, as opposed to just going with 7 maybe 8 games at best.

Dawgface
06-24-2016, 01:38 PM
If Williams is best of the bunch......start him. But don't go with him simply because he is a senior.

chef dixon
06-24-2016, 02:24 PM

Problem is our offense never rolled with Fitz in there last year either. Two big plays v Troy kind of cover it up but we struggled to moved the ball consistently in that game

Coach34
06-24-2016, 02:46 PM
Problem is our offense never rolled with Fitz in there last year either. Two big plays v Troy kind of cover it up but we struggled to moved the ball consistently in that game

its because we kept trying to run so much with our horrible OL- check out his passing stats for that game:

6/7 141 yards- 2 TD's

BiscuitEater
06-24-2016, 04:00 PM
I think Dan will start Williams. I don't think he is the best option like Zach Jackson wasn't at OLB last year.

Dan going to Dan.

Disagree. OLB is NOT = QB. Mullen will start the first game with the 'best' QB that emerges in the fall. Agree that there is no reason NOT to play all four in the first game.

Covercorner2
06-24-2016, 04:07 PM

Because you won't lose games to bad teams because of unforced errors or mistakes. I'm fine with starting Fitz/Tiano/Staley further into the year, especially against teams we will lose to anyway, but it is kind of scary starting a guy that has never started a game against the likes of South Carolina. It is important for this team to get on a roll early.

Dawg61
06-24-2016, 04:20 PM
I called Williams starting last September. Just wanted to add that to this thread. Thanks

DownwardDawg
06-24-2016, 04:35 PM
It's gotta be Fitz.

Spiderman
06-24-2016, 05:37 PM
Fitz, Williams or other?

If he is healthy, Williams.

Schultzy
06-24-2016, 05:59 PM
If he is healthy, Williams.

Who do you prefer to start? Fitz has more upside and size so I prefer him.

Todd4State
06-24-2016, 06:31 PM
Disagree. OLB is NOT = QB. Mullen will start the first game with the 'best' QB that emerges in the fall. Agree that there is no reason NOT to play all four in the first game.

Tyler Russell and Tyson Lee disagree with you.

Of course, the media is going to try to lead us into believing that Williams looks like the next Joe Montana in practice but we'll know that we've been lied to by about halftime.

Lest we forget the silly "co-starters" with Tyler and Dak for half of 2013.

DawgPoundtheRock
06-24-2016, 06:49 PM
Is there any chance that Staley could be moved to another position? This is assuming that Fitz and/or Tiano emerge as the clear front runners for QB. Could he be a TE or RB? RB would add an extra dimension with a RB who can throw a football a quarter of a mile. Would Staley want to do this just to gain playing time and/or a starting job? I only ask because a number of people seem to think he is at or near the bottom of the 4 deep.

Covercorner2
06-24-2016, 06:59 PM
Is there any chance that Staley could be moved to another position? This is assuming that Fitz and/or Tiano emerge as the clear front runners for QB. Could he be a TE or RB? RB would add an extra dimension with a RB who can throw a football a quarter of a mile. Would Staley want to do this just to gain playing time and/or a starting job? I only ask because a number of people seem to think he is at or near the bottom of the 4 deep.

He needs to be playing WR inside the 10 running fade routes.

Todd4State
06-24-2016, 07:28 PM

A 6'7" running back while we have a 5'9" outside receiver? Lol.

I get what you are saying though. Only way that happens would be if Dan uses Staley like he used Tebow and Dak their freshman years.

HancockCountyDog
06-24-2016, 07:36 PM

Did you really suggest RB for Staley? Did that really happen?

smootness
06-24-2016, 07:49 PM
I'll be shocked if it's Williams.

djaymsu5
06-24-2016, 08:13 PM
Conservative, conservative, conservative. Just like in recruiting. I appreciate Williams, but he's the worst athlete out of the 4, the smallest guy out of the 4, the slowest guy out of the 4, & he has a pronounced hitch in his arm action that prevents him from being able to get rid of the ball quickly.

If we are not going to fully attempt to acquire elite talent on the recruiting trail & we aren't going to attempt to play our most talented players, then what are we doing?

I agree 100%. I find myself asking myself that about 10 to 20x a game. Wth are we doing?

Spiderman
06-24-2016, 08:49 PM
Who do you prefer to start? Fitz has more upside and size so I prefer him.

I like Fitz and Staley. Way more upside.

But I know Dan, and Williams will have to lose the job or get hurt

HancockCountyDog
06-24-2016, 09:05 PM
I like Fitz and Staley. Way more upside.

But I know Dan, and Williams will have to lose the job or get hurt

I'm just assuming Damien plays a little the first few weeks to keep him from transferring.

He is a junior, there is no way. That Fitz and Staley will both stay on campus and sit behind him for two seasons, or split time. Just won't happen.

Damien may start against USA, but Fitz will finish against SC.

bulldawg28
06-24-2016, 09:19 PM
Anyone have news on how summer workouts are going?

HSVDawg
06-24-2016, 09:22 PM
Against South Alabama.....who really cares who the starter is? Mullen is going to play all 4 guys regardless of whether he's completely confident in one guy or still unsure. He's not going to tip his hand to USC as to who he's leaning towards as the main guy. Whoever it is that takes the first snap is mostly irrelevant.

Schultzy
06-24-2016, 10:10 PM
I think Fitz plays the whole first half, this ain't RB, WR or Safety.

Todd4State
06-24-2016, 10:35 PM
I'm just assuming Damien plays a little the first few weeks to keep him from transferring.

He is a junior, there is no way. That Fitz and Staley will both stay on campus and sit behind him for two seasons, or split time. Just won't happen.

Damien may start against USA, but Fitz will finish against SC.

Why would Dan not want him to transfer? It's not like he's going to burn us at Jackson State. We have Fitz, Staley, and Tiano. The only time we've gotten that deep into our QB depth chart was 1993 when Todd Jordan got banged up and Taite, Greg Plump, and Rodney Hudson all got arrested and we had to go to Mike Pizinski.

Staley will probably be the one that transfers if I had to guess.

With Dan, it remains to be seen who he starts against USC. Performance clearly doesn't matter to him as much as seniority. If Damien looks bad and then Fitz shows out I'm sure we'll hear the typical MSU coachspeak BS about Damien knowing the playbook better and being a better leader and looking better in practice or some crap like that. And then they will top it off by telling us that we really don't know anything about football when we quantify that Fitz is the best choice. Rinse. Repeat.

Todd4State
06-24-2016, 10:36 PM
I think Fitz plays the whole first half, this ain't RB, WR or Safety.

Or TE, OL, DL, LB, K/P, or CB.

JohnnyQuid
06-25-2016, 03:08 AM

didn't exactly give him much opportunity when he did get reps tho - mostly designed qb runs if I recall correctly.

GTHOM
06-25-2016, 06:49 PM
Or TE, OL, DL, LB, K/P, or CB.

Sad that we have a list

GTHOM
06-25-2016, 06:50 PM
Nick Fitzgerald is going to be the QB this year hes the best of the bunch with Tiano, Williams, then Staley. If Damian Williams starts vs USC Mullen needs his head examined